Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Mad Poster
#24501 Old 4th Aug 2020 at 5:34 PM
Does anybody know why this is happening?
I've had something similar happen before - it was solved by removing the stage from the floor on the square below the counter
But, there is no stage here. And, it's only on the one side - that same counter will 'hook up' if the stove is on the other side:

Why?
Screenshots

Please ~ support my TS2 habit! Shop at my Etsy shops:
CatherinesJewelry ~ Artisan Jewelry
Catherine's MOUSE ~ Up/Recycled Jewelry
and Vintage Stuffeths
Advertisement
Alchemist
#24502 Old 4th Aug 2020 at 6:08 PM
Hmm, sugoisama, I don't know. My instinct is to say yes, they get deleted, because normally everything gets deleted on move out. So if the objects are still there, I'd say probably not. But if they got deleted, I'd say no. But test and see.

And CatherineTCJD, I noticed that, too! It's very annoying and I've no idea why it happens, but it always seems to be the same side that gets connected--the left one never goes.

"May the sunlight find you, thy days be long, thy winters kind, thy roots be strong." -Grand Oak Tree, DAO

XPTL Mod Archive | Change a Mod's Mesh into a CC Object | Increasing the Game Difficulty | Editing ACR 4 Your Age Mod
Bored? Read an unfinished legacy or sim story. | aka Kelyns | she/her
Mad Poster
#24503 Old 4th Aug 2020 at 9:13 PM
I hate that connecting crap when it happens. It's always one side is not going to fit, and you have to re-arrange the whole set to make it work. That's why I never make island counter tables...too darned confusing and complicated.

Receptacle Refugee & Resident Polar Bear
"Get out of my way, young'un, I'm a ninja!"
Grave Matters: The funeral podium is available here: https://www.mediafire.com/file/e6tj...albits.zip/file
My other downloads are here: https://app.mediafire.com/myfiles
Alchemist
#24504 Old 4th Aug 2020 at 9:36 PM
Okay, so I'm trying to finalize my "realistic home elements" rules. I'm going to make it so that if the neighborhood has a winter season, then all houses/dwellings, etc. need a furnace (I'm torn between having this cost $3000 or Raynuss' original $4500) and also need a radiator in all main rooms ($200). But I wanted to give a discount for sims who use fireplaces. Idk if I should do a straight swap--either place a fireplace or furnace--with this I'm leaning towards no because not only would it not make sense to ever use a furnace, but also, how would other rooms get heated, without sticking fireplaces everywhere? My other idea was that if there's a fireplace, then the home could have a cheaper furnace or maybe a cheaper electrical panel? (All homes have to have an electrical panel, too, and since I have MustLuvCatz's single box versions of LivingDeadGirl's electrical cabinets, I'm making it so that different size lots need an appropriately sized electrical cabinets. The bigger the lot, the bigger and more expensive the electrical cabinet.)

Anyway, feedback/thoughts/suggestions are welcome. How would you handle the furnace vs fireplace issue?

"May the sunlight find you, thy days be long, thy winters kind, thy roots be strong." -Grand Oak Tree, DAO

XPTL Mod Archive | Change a Mod's Mesh into a CC Object | Increasing the Game Difficulty | Editing ACR 4 Your Age Mod
Mad Poster
#24505 Old 4th Aug 2020 at 9:40 PM
^ I usually try to put the stove and other appliances in places where the interlocking islands and counters don't make problems. Nowadays I tend to only make islands free-standing as a bar-like table, because they interfere too much with the rest of the kitchen (and sims don't seem to like using them anyway).
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#24506 Old 4th Aug 2020 at 11:22 PM
I think Mootilda made a post about counters connecting or not connecting and how one side worked better than the other. It is definitely a thing. I can't remember if it was something to do with the direction of the sun like the driveway or something else.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#24507 Old 4th Aug 2020 at 11:45 PM
Thanks Catherine, Zarathustra, Jo, Sunrader, I'm not quite ready to buy yet, I'm just getting more and more issues with this old Dell of mine. So I have planning time.

My comfort level personally is "Sure, I can put all the components in the box, and I can install Windows, and I can modify the registry if I have instructions, and if something goes wrong I can always start over", which is, I gather, a pretty high computer comfort level.

I also kill hard drives regularly, so I have a lot of experience in the 'Put the components in the box' department. Always vacuum first: those darned fiddly little screws just want to get away and will hide under anything anyone dropped. Also make sure your magnetized screw driver is still magnetized before you start, because those darned fiddly little screws just want to get away . . .

Pics from my game: Sunbee's Simblr Sunbee's Livejournal
"English is a marvelous edged weapon if you know how to wield it." C.J. Cherryh
Mad Poster
#24508 Old 5th Aug 2020 at 4:22 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Phantomknight
Okay, so I'm trying to finalize my "realistic home elements" rules. I'm going to make it so that if the neighborhood has a winter season, then all houses/dwellings, etc. need a furnace (I'm torn between having this cost $3000 or Raynuss' original $4500) and also need a radiator in all main rooms ($200). But I wanted to give a discount for sims who use fireplaces. Idk if I should do a straight swap--either place a fireplace or furnace--with this I'm leaning towards no because not only would it not make sense to ever use a furnace, but also, how would other rooms get heated, without sticking fireplaces everywhere? My other idea was that if there's a fireplace, then the home could have a cheaper furnace or maybe a cheaper electrical panel? (All homes have to have an electrical panel, too, and since I have MustLuvCatz's single box versions of LivingDeadGirl's electrical cabinets, I'm making it so that different size lots need an appropriately sized electrical cabinets. The bigger the lot, the bigger and more expensive the electrical cabinet.)

Anyway, feedback/thoughts/suggestions are welcome. How would you handle the furnace vs fireplace issue?

The house I grew up in had a terrible furnace that almost never worked, so I grew up with a wood stove to stay warm in the winter, and we had a system of fans set up at strategic locations around the house to circulate air so that even if only the living room actually had a fireplace, the entire house could be kept warm by it... Just a thought!

Welcome to the Dark Side...
We lied about having cookies.
Mad Poster
#24509 Old 5th Aug 2020 at 4:35 AM Last edited by CatherineTCJD : 5th Aug 2020 at 2:07 PM.
...and I grew up in Florida. Most winters we turn the AC off, open the windows, and put on a sweater at night. Just sayin'
Quote: Originally posted by joandsarah77
I think Mootilda made a post about counters connecting or not connecting and how one side worked better than the other. It is definitely a thing. I can't remember if it was something to do with the direction of the sun like the driveway or something else.

Ah, yes... That makes perfect sense in a EAxian world: polar North would change connective properties.
Thanks, Jo, for remembering that

Please ~ support my TS2 habit! Shop at my Etsy shops:
CatherinesJewelry ~ Artisan Jewelry
Catherine's MOUSE ~ Up/Recycled Jewelry
and Vintage Stuffeths
Field Researcher
#24510 Old 5th Aug 2020 at 2:25 PM
So I just found this mod that makes it take longer for a sim to earn a skill point, which interests me as I used a longer lifespan.

https://s2idownloads.blogspot.com/2...-of-1-hour.html

There are options for 2 hours, 6 hours, and 28 hours, to gain a skill point.

But I am confused by this. Does it normally only take a Sim one hour to earn a skill point?

I thought that building skills was scaled - first skill point is easy; 10th skill point takes a lot longer.
Building skills speeds is also modified by other factors, like the season or how clean or playful a sim is.

Does anyone use this mod? Does it allow for the same scaling of skill building, but simply over a longer time frame?

Thanks
Alchemist
#24511 Old 5th Aug 2020 at 4:01 PM
I can't say for 100%, but it does seem to allow for the same scaling of skill building but over a longer time frame. I used the 6 hour version for a pretty long time, and I liked it a lot. It worked well with my slightly longer lifespan (toddler, child, and adult were extended to 6, 10, and 35-40, respectively, and elders shortened to 15-30) and helped to curb overskilling at younger ages. Young sims could still be overskilled, mind you, especially if all they play with is skilling toys. But they have to be more dedicated about it, not getting distracted by other toys or activities. When it comes to preventing overskilling at a young age, I find that setting up some personal rules about using toddler skilling items helps more. For example, I now use a motivation system and only highly motivated sims can buy skilling items without a want, and that has had a greater impact on what my sim toddlers and kids learn. What I found the mod does really well, though, is slow the gain of higher skills. They're not impossible to get, but it will take some time and dedication to max. So if you're a simmer that really likes for teens to get a bunch of skilling scholarships, this may not be the best idea if you also want your sim kids and teens to have some free time.

I'll also add that while the slower skilling mod was okay in my normal hoods, in my challenge hoods where I set up a bunch of benchmarks tied to how many skill points sims have, it was way too slow. So slower progression for sure. But try it out and tweak it for your needs; Lientebollemeis has tutorials on how to make your own skilling mod.

Finally, I'll mention Simler90's mods, which I switched over to a little while ago. I'm still testing it out, so I can't say if the rate of skilling itself is better or worse, but I really like how my sims can earn more by doing. I've got mods to make cleaning take longer, make repairing harder, and making the skill gain from cooking better. So sims are actually gaining skill points from those things now. For example, I just restarted Veronaville and played Albany and Goneril's family. With both parents working, Miranda became the go to housekeeper, cooking and cleaning all the time and she's gained a couple of points in a week. Oh, that might be a good way to judge how long skilling takes. I played one sim week; I didn't change the seasons so it turned to Fall on the second day and I've a summer vacation mod for season 2, so that meant she and the other kids were home all week. So they had more time to skill than in a more typical sim week. Miranda's got 3 cooking, 1 mechanical, 3 charisma, and 4 cleaning and I believe she started at 0 skills. Only the charisma and maybe a cooking point or two were results of direct skilling commands by me (whenever she rolled wants to gain a point, I usually directed her to skill charisma). Everything else was gained by doing--cleaning around the house, cooking meals, and repairing a broken toilet. And again, it was Fall, so there was a skill boost, but yeah, that should give you a rough idea of Simler90's mod.

Anyway, skilling mods are trial and error. You'll just have to try it out and see what works best for you.

Simler90 mods I was talking about:
Skills-Badges-Cleaning-Repairing Mods
Cleaning Mod
Toy Skills Mod

Forum Resident
#24512 Old 5th Aug 2020 at 5:03 PM
Is there a way to edit a sim's number of want locks in SimPE? I know I could do it in-game with the sim blender, but seeing as how I like constantly restarting Pleasantview and sending everyone into aspiration failiure from their scripted fears, it would be easier to do it in SimPE
Field Researcher
#24513 Old 5th Aug 2020 at 10:56 PM
Do townies get reputation? It only seems fair, especially for the bullies.
Alchemist
#24514 Old 5th Aug 2020 at 11:13 PM
Not sure about the townies and the reputation; I'm leaning towards no because I know in a vanilla game sims don't earn reputation on certain lots (at home, maybe?) And then I'm also not sure if the sim would need to be selectable. Without mods, townies don't save their aspiration points and such, so I'm not sure if their reputation data would get saved. In any case some mod I have from Pescado affects reputation as well (I think it's comm-skilling) so I think with that everyone gains reputation. Or at least my roommates do. It's pretty entertaining, actually. In one hood Camyrn Lee, who I made my sim's roommate, has a deep hatred for another apartment resident and if I don't watch her, she's always picking fights or loitering around to get beat up.

Sugoisama, I found this post about editing wants:
Quote: Originally posted by cakeninja
I think I figured it out. Go to the More tab, open Wants & Fears - you'll get a long list of wants, fears and history. To make things easier, you might want to deselect the "history" checkbox so you only see current wants and fears. Select the want you'd like to change, and use the options on the right hand side to select the new want for that slot, target of the want (if applicable - e.g. wanting to gain a specific skill vs. gain a skill point in anything, wanting to be best friends with a specific sim vs. wanting to make a new best friend in general), and aspiration/influence rewards for fulfilling it.

From there, you see the bunch of Flag boxes on the right hand side, if you scroll down a bit? I think one of them might be the locked flag and my guess is Flag 1 is the locked flag. I'm not 100%--I didn't try it or anything, but it was the consistent factor when looking at my own sims, and the wants I knew to be locked had that flag. So back up and try it maybe?

Forum Resident
#24515 Old 5th Aug 2020 at 11:18 PM
I'm using a bit "outdated" version of SimPE, where the wants are easier to edit, and I know how to lock wants there, but it still only allows one lock, and I'm trying to give them more locks in SimPE without opening the game and using the Sim Blender
Alchemist
#24516 Old 5th Aug 2020 at 11:35 PM
Oh. I see. Well, you could try locking multiple things and seeing if that works, otherwise I think you'd have to give them the extra locks first, in game.

Lab Assistant
#24517 Old 6th Aug 2020 at 6:18 PM
Is it possible to delete the stealth subhoods from a neighborhood? Can I convert them somehow into visible subhoods?
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#24518 Old 6th Aug 2020 at 11:01 PM
Quote: Originally posted by bulbash
Is it possible to delete the stealth subhoods from a neighborhood? Can I convert them somehow into visible subhoods?

You need to use empty stealth hood templates before making the hood.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Alchemist
#24519 Old 7th Aug 2020 at 12:55 AM

I have made a stealth hood into a main hood, not after it's been attached, but I'm sure you could. I've no idea what effect that would have, though, or if it would do what you want or just make a mess. What is you would like to accomplish? There might be a better way to get it. Most of the stealth hoods are just carrying sims. I think maybe only FT and AL have lots in them and I'm not even sure of that. If you don't want them at all, you'd need to disable them before. If you just don't want the sims, as Jo says, empty ones will do. Even if you could delete them, the sims would still be in the main hood, so that's why I'm asking what the ultimate goal is. I might have a better answer if I knew that.
Scholar
#24520 Old 8th Aug 2020 at 4:49 PM

If you just delete one the game will re-add it next time you open the neighbourhood giving you a second set of sims that you already have. Apart from AL's Magic sub-hood none of them are actually hidden, it's just that they are affiliated to the EP they came from. If you change the affiliation to OFB they will show up in the Shopping District chooser BUT the game will re-add the sub-hood next time you open the neighbourhood when it finds no sub-hood affiliated to the EP.
Except for Magic sub-hood (where you have to clear it's flags first) If you add a community lot to one it will be available to travel to. For AL and FT I do have a couple of UI mods somewhere to change the neighbourhood information button into a suburb chooser for the EP so you can go straight to it without changing its affiliation.
Scholar
#24521 Old 8th Aug 2020 at 5:26 PM
Am looking for a pic. thread that specifically showcases post-apocalypse photos of everything -- from sims, to buildings, to hoods.
If there is one, can someone point me in that direction ?

Or should I start one --- and put up some of my own pics to start with ?

I'm still working on phase two of my post apocalypse hood as the first one had a meltdown (pun intended) when my dinosaur pc gave out.
So still a lot of buildings and deco needed in my hood.

" Inama Nushif "
Forum Resident
#24522 Old 8th Aug 2020 at 10:35 PM
I've started having this problem that I don't think deserves a seperate thread because I'm pretty sure it's just my problem, but I do want to solve it. So I started using bunk beds from here, and ever since I started using them sometimes sims would just start throwing errors on the lot with the beds. It's not always, but when it happens, it just keeps going on for basically forever. I looked at the logs it generates, and I think it's because they're all trying to autonomously get into the top bunk, but can't and it just bugs them out. Weird thing is, the top bunks are perfectly usable manually, it's just that sometimes they make sims on the lot bug out like that. Does anyone know how I could fix this? I don't want to remove the bunk beds, so I want to save that for like, a last last resort.
Mad Poster
#24523 Old 9th Aug 2020 at 12:01 AM
Even though I have a script to clear the cache files every time I start the game, I find that loading TS2 for the second or third time in the day always loads faster than the first time. Any ideas why this may be?

I'm secretly a Bulbasaur. | Formerly known as ihatemandatoryregister

Looking for SimWardrobe's mods? | Or Dizzy's? | Faiuwle/rufio's too! | smorbie1's Chris Hatch archives
Alchemist
#24524 Old 9th Aug 2020 at 12:42 AM
Tleilaxu3, I would think to look in the challenge section for apocalypse challenges; otherwise, I'm not sure cuz I don't hang out in the picture threads very often. But I'm sure if you browse around in the challenge & picture sections you'll find something--apocalypse challenges are popular. But yes, you can always start your own thread, too.

sugoisama, tbh, I've always found bunk beds to be buggy so I don't use them very often anymore. The only time I ever heard of a fix was when someone asked Midgethetree/Radium for help with an issue. There's a tutorial on that here: https://midgethetree.tumblr.com/pos...s-bunk-beds-and. From what you describe, though, I'm not sure if it's the same issue. Maybe try isolating the exact error and seeing if Midge can help figure out how to fix it, since Midge is usually good about helping others with modding? Of course, check with the original creator first and see if they are still active; maybe they have a fix, too, or will want to know about the error.

And Bulbizarre, no idea, but I noticed that, too. Maybe cuz all the thumbnails and other little details are the same/already updated?

Inventor
#24525 Old 9th Aug 2020 at 4:16 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Bulbizarre
Even though I have a script to clear the cache files every time I start the game, I find that loading TS2 for the second or third time in the day always loads faster than the first time. Any ideas why this may be?

My game does that too, but I don't clear my caches every time I open my game. I have empty Groups and Cigen packages, only one that refuses to remain empty is my Accessory cache and I never figured out why (I downloaded empty caches from a forum somewhere 2 years ago and I still have the original .zips). I always chalked this up to my desktop warming up after booting, but I'm glad it loads through the start menu faster than the 2nd time

what_makes_you_haha.mp3
SFS uploads
Page 981 of 1339