Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 3rd Aug 2020 at 9:28 AM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Default Crash While Saving—Sim Stuck Between Ages
Running UC, got ACR, Pescado’s hacks, no other weirdness of note.

I’ve read many times over the years about sims not aging fully into their new life stage if there’s a crash/power outage/antiviral file locking. After 15 years I can say it finally happened to me! In this case I was a few hours out from my Sim turning into an elder. I’d been playing almost three hours, but not quite. I’ve got Windows 10 and a graphics card that plays the game phenomenally and beautifully. (I bought it with Doom Eternal in mind.)

I’ve been doing my rotations through the hood, being sure to save because if I play long enough, the game crashes. I thought I was fine and dandy until I’m saving...then it tells me the DirectX is out of video memory. BARNACLES.

I boot the game right back up again to check on the house. My sim was an elder, in the right outfit I put her in when she grew up on the loading screen, but looked like an adult with the walk of an elder in the lot. I used the bat box to age her body, smooth sailing. I also saw the option to “renormalize times” on the lot sync timer, so I chose that too. Otherwise, all the memories are correct of the household. (I’ll look at other guests later.) My question is: is this actually some kind of hood corruption? I know this means something was improperly written to the files and I’m alarmed. How serious is this?

(P.S. I’m eternally, ETERNALLY grateful this happened adult to elder, not toddler to child or baby to adult...I would never know God’s gift of an untroubled sleep ever again. )
Advertisement
Scholar
#2 Old 3rd Aug 2020 at 2:23 PM
Quote: Originally posted by DameMika
My question is: is this actually some kind of hood corruption? I know this means something was improperly written to the files and I’m alarmed. How serious is this?

Not corruption, it's just a bad save. The game saves a lot of different files when you save, usually the neighbourhood file last. The sim's character file and family thumbnail saved with the new age OK but the neighbourhood file didn't, so the sim is still seen and treated as adult even though the character file is elder. It can be serious though and although it can usually be fixed by aging the sim down and up again there can be other less noticeable problems. New NPCs may have been created during the play session, their character file is saved but they now don't exist properly in the neighbourhood.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#3 Old 3rd Aug 2020 at 7:50 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Chris Hatch
Not corruption, it's just a bad save. The game saves a lot of different files when you save, usually the neighbourhood file last. The sim's character file and family thumbnail saved with the new age OK but the neighbourhood file didn't, so the sim is still seen and treated as adult even though the character file is elder. It can be serious though and although it can usually be fixed by aging the sim down and up again there can be other less noticeable problems. New NPCs may have been created during the play session, their character file is saved but they now don't exist properly in the neighbourhood.

That’s what I was worried about. In that case, I ran HoodChecker and didn’t get any “Sim does not exist” warnings or any incorrect subjects, or really anything new at all. Am I in the clear for right now, or is it deeper than that?