Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Theorist
Original Poster
#1 Old 15th Jan 2023 at 6:16 AM
Default Careers and GUIDs (trying to find which career overwrites the default one)
One of my downloaded careers overwrites Science. I've found out that Science's GroupID is 0x7F7201DA. The idea is to open all custom careers one by one and find the one that overwrites Science.

But career guides were made for other versions of SimPE, apparently, so I don't know where to look for this GUID in custom careers. The interface has changed! What I'm doing: I'm clicking on Resource and looking at the Group value. This is where I've found the default Science career's GUID, so it made sense for me to look in the same place in custom careers. Alternatively, I just look at the GroupID in the resource tree.

However, all of my custom careers use a GUID of 0xFFFFFFFF. That can't be right. If that was their GUID, they'd all be overwriting each other, and they don't. So I must be looking at the wrong field. But that doesn't make sense, either, because this is where the default Science's GUID was displayed.

Help, please?

Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 15th Jan 2023 at 7:00 AM Last edited by simmer22 : 15th Jan 2023 at 7:16 AM.
If your're after the GUID, it's in Object Data (OBJD).

There's several GUIDs with different names in the OBJD, you don't need to worry about the ones below the first one (see pic below).

The Group isn't the same as the GUID - it can be one of the unique ID items in a file, but it depends on the type of file (a lot of CAS files use it. Not entirely sure about other files, sometimes it's the Instance that's unique, occasionally both, or one or both alongside the GUID).
Screenshots
Theorist
Original Poster
#3 Old 15th Jan 2023 at 9:02 AM
Oops, right, GUID and GroupID are different! Sorry I'm slow I here I thought that GUID is a really weird abbreviation for GroupID.

I've finally been able to locate a career that overwrote the default Science! It required looking at its GroupID, after all.

I've also found this helpful tutorial: https://modthesims.info/showthread....&highlight=guid

At its end the author explains that setting the GroupID of a career to 0xFFFFFFFF prevents it from overwriting any other careers. That explains why nearly all custom careers have that as their GroupID. Everyone must've read that tutorial and followed the suggestion
Mad Poster
#4 Old 15th Jan 2023 at 4:00 PM
That makes sense, and I get why that would be confusing
(I don't make or use custom careers, so haven't looked into the how of it).