Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Inventor
Original Poster
#1 Old 20th Jan 2023 at 6:32 PM
Body sliders - just wishful thinking or somehow achievable?
I am realizing that the thing I miss most from TS3 and TS4 are the body sliders, and nobody seems to think they are possible in TS2. However, I saw a post on Tumblr just now that described an idea for how they could theoretically work.

While everybody who commented seemed doubtful that it could be feasible, I am very taken to the idea and am suspecting it isn't truly impossible. I do, however, wonder if it would probably take an external program to make functioning body sliders for TS2. Something a lot like Skyrim's Outfit Studio and BodySlide come to mind.

Two vastly different games, I know, but hear me out just in case! In that program, as far as I can recall, you can add additional bones to outfits and can update multiple meshes in bulk. I like the idea of a 'face' slider that points to every part of a body mesh as mentioned in the Tumblr post, and I'm thinking if one body mesh could be 'rebuilt' to work that way and if there was some kind of external program which could copy the bones/animations/etc to other meshes, it might actually be possible?

Another idea that I think could have potential is to add additional morphs apart from fit, thin and fat. The highest end could be a bodybuilder type mesh while the lowest could be something akin to Momma Lisa.

I'm not an expert on TS2's code at all so I don't know if I'm missing something obvious that would make this impossible to do, but I am not ready to give up on the dream!
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 20th Jan 2023 at 7:18 PM Last edited by simmer22 : 20th Jan 2023 at 7:32 PM.
If you want something for making it easier to adjust bodies to various shapes, there are some tools. I think there used to be something called Poser magnets which were supposed to help shape meshes and morphs to spesific bodyshapes more easily (I've never tried that method, I don't work that much with bodyshapes, but if I remember correctly the method was mentioned in several tutorials over at Insim).

Cmar's toolkit could perhaps also come in handy?
https://modthesims.info/d/481950/me...12-20-2018.html

---

As for implementing something into the game, you're not the first person, and probably won't be the last with this idea.

TS3 and TS4 clothes/bodies already have sliders. TS3 does have at least some body sliders, and modders have been able to work with that to make more. TS4 came with the tools already built in, and modders can usually expand on what's there.

TS2 doesn't have anything to go on here.

TS2 sim bodies aren't linked to the sim face slider/morphs in any shape, size or form, so no - it's not something that can be done.

Sim clothes have two options for morphs - a pregmorph with two stages (the mid-stage is just 50% of the full bump), and a fatmorph with one stage. The clothes -are- the body. There's no place to magically insert sliders without redoing how the entire game is built up, and that's not a modder's job.

As a modder you can take a scrap of what's already there in a game and tweak it to make something that seems radical and new (at least to someone who perhaps doesn't know how to mod), but it still needs to be based in the core functions the game makers made (unless you have access to whatever tools the game makers used).

It's not just the skeletons, mesh and animations (you know how many animations there are in the game?). You'd pretty much have to rework the entire game for an idea like this.

Best solution is to for instance use the Momma Lisa shape as a fat morph for a clothing piece, but that's really the only way you'd be able to work around this.
Inventor
Original Poster
#3 Old 20th Jan 2023 at 7:54 PM
Thanks for the toolkit link! For some reason I had forgotten it existed! :P

All of this does make sense, but I still do wonder if it's possible to add fitness morph stages to clothing meshes. So instead of one or two, there could be, say, five - Built, Fit, Thin, Fat, and XXL. I'm going to look into it for a bit!
Mad Poster
#4 Old 20th Jan 2023 at 8:46 PM
I doubt it.

There are only two morphs available for each clothing piece (I don't think there's anything called a "fit" morph in the game, it's really just a skin change - you could link a bodyshape to the fit skintone, but that's about it, and it wouldn't work for clothes, just for when the sim is naked, like in the shower).

Besides, the game was never coded to have a use for anything more than the few morph stages that already are there, so there's precious little to work with.

Just remembered, there's the BSOK editor. It can help with clothing sorting for bodyshapes and such. It adds special icons and such to them ingame, making it easier to find/sort them.
https://www.picknmixmods.com/Sims2/...BsokEditor.html
(you may want to look into the BSOK system first. I don't use bodyshapes much ingame, so I haven't really bothered much with this system - but the program can be useful for regular clothing categorizing, too).
Inventor
#5 Old 21st Jan 2023 at 1:18 AM
Is the "pregnant morph" defined within each individual piece of clothing? I noticed that if put some outfits on a pregnant woman that are normally not allowed, the stomach disappears. How is it that we can put any clothing on a fat person then? Do all hundreds of them come with 2 custom defined fat/slim shapes?
Mad Poster
#6 Old 21st Jan 2023 at 5:01 AM Last edited by simmer22 : 21st Jan 2023 at 5:25 AM.
Both morphs are defined in each individual piece of clothing (in the mesh file). It varies whether the clothes have no morphs, one, or both.

The game doesn't really care whether the morphs are there or not. It shows the morph if it's there, and doesn't show any if it can't find a working one. The restriction on pregnant clothes is probably due to EA not wanting to put pregnant morphs on everything at the time, so they limited the clothing options to make it easier for themselves (or... who knows? But it seems likely). If you use a mod, pregnant sims can use any clothes, and the game won't care the least bit whether that piece of clothing has a morph or not. It's just a visual glitch, really - the sim still registers as pregnant.

As for fat morphs, children and up can have these, and since there is a fit/fat function in the game, they probably had to make sure that one actually worked, so no restrictions on this one.

---

There's no "slim" morph. It's just the base mesh for each outfit. The fat morph usually has some definition around the hips, belly and chest. The pregmorph has the belly and maybe a larger chest area for female sims.

The morphs also blend together, so if you have a sim who currently has the fat morph working on them who gets pregnant, they'll get the pregnant morph on top of that, making them seem larger than the usual pregnant or fat stages. They'll go back to the regular fat morph once they're no longer pregnant. If their body type changes out of the fat stage at any point, and they're not pregnant, they go back to using the base mesh.
Inventor
Original Poster
#7 Old 6th May 2023 at 3:47 AM Last edited by Nyami : 6th May 2023 at 4:33 AM.
I hope this doesn't count as necro'ing but despite everything I am still considering the possibility that making body sliders (that are not connected to morphs) could still be a thing. I looked into the CRES files of both a slider and an outfit today out and found some similarities, for lack of a better word.

Both have a cShapeRefNode block in their hierarchy called 'Practical' and the slider's is labeled with 'face'. I looked in a sim face's mesh file in Milkshape and the model is indeed also called 'face'. I also noticed that face meshes seem to share the same bones as the body's (they have the same list under Joints).

While this could be a very long shot, my point is that I think having a slider point to bones other than the face, like 'pelvis' for example, is still in the realm of possibility. It might be very difficult to actually do, though. I know that in Skyrim, people had added nodes to body meshes to make sliders function differently. I have a feeling it could very potentially work the same here, and would have something to do with the CRES (and possibly GMDC) files!