Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 22nd Jan 2023 at 9:43 PM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 3, World Adventures, Ambitions, Late Night, Generations, Pets, Showtime, Supernatural, Seasons, University Life, Island Paradise, Into the Future
Is it Worth my time to make an internal installer for TS3 that auto-installs all my games
Hi:

I'm currently using TS3 and I've (reasonably) reverse engineered the EA installers for the base game, the EPs and SPs, and I've built a custom installer in LinderSoft SetupBuilder 10 to make (re)deployments easier on myself and my ITS team. It seems that all the original installers do is 1) copy files, 2) create registry entries, 3) optionally create desktop and start menu shortcuts, 4) register with Add/Remove Programs, 5) offer to optionally install "EA Download Manager". My questions here are as follows: 1) since there's only one "uninstall queue" for the master project in SetupBuilder; is it worth my time to even both to build this thing and 2) is the any way to "custom turn on/off" EPs/SPs per play session? Again this ties into the only uninstall queue issue thus if I install base game AND generations, High-end loft stuff, and Ambitions but later decide I don't want/need Ambitions just "turn it off" without ripping out the install and starting over?
Advertisement
Forum Resident
#2 Old 23rd Jan 2023 at 2:16 PM
Quote: Originally posted by iWebEx9012882
Hi:

I'm currently using TS3 and I've (reasonably) reverse engineered the EA installers for the base game, the EPs and SPs, and I've built a custom installer in LinderSoft SetupBuilder 10 to make (re)deployments easier on myself and my ITS team. It seems that all the original installers do is 1) copy files, 2) create registry entries, 3) optionally create desktop and start menu shortcuts, 4) register with Add/Remove Programs, 5) offer to optionally install "EA Download Manager". My questions here are as follows: 1) since there's only one "uninstall queue" for the master project in SetupBuilder; is it worth my time to even both to build this thing and 2) is the any way to "custom turn on/off" EPs/SPs per play session? Again this ties into the only uninstall queue issue thus if I install base game AND generations, High-end loft stuff, and Ambitions but later decide I don't want/need Ambitions just "turn it off" without ripping out the install and starting over?

Seems like a lot of work to do what is already done. Programs can be removed via control panel, as far as I know. There is an EP/ SP selector here on MTS... https://modthesims.info/d/499140/si...stuff-quot.html
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 25th Jan 2023 at 7:29 AM
Quote: Originally posted by LadySmoks
Seems like a lot of work to do what is already done. Programs can be removed via control panel, as far as I know. There is an EP/ SP selector here on MTS... https://modthesims.info/d/499140/si...stuff-quot.html

Thanks for the game select tool :-) the main reason I did the custom installer was to ease (re)deployment on my computers here and avoid a lot of disk swapping (whether that be physical or virtual) and/or losing of serial keys. With my memory condition the way it is... I'd lose those keys faster than you can say "My Sims 3 won't load right." thus the idea of the internal installer was born!
Forum Resident
#4 Old 25th Jan 2023 at 12:23 PM
Quote: Originally posted by iWebEx9012882
Thanks for the game select tool :-) the main reason I did the custom installer was to ease (re)deployment on my computers here and avoid a lot of disk swapping (whether that be physical or virtual) and/or losing of serial keys. With my memory condition the way it is... I'd lose those keys faster than you can say "My Sims 3 won't load right." thus the idea of the internal installer was born!

Origin version, patch 1.69 uses an EP selection tool, but many (like me) prefer all disc and "super patch", which is 1.67. I launch via icon short cut instead of TS3 launcher. I have the selector, but have all selected anyway. )))