Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
MTS has all free content, all the time. Find out how YOU can help to keep it running. Tell me how...

Updated Feb 11th - SEVEN's FIY TV Channel with Mechanical Skill Gain

by bkn1978 Posted 4th Feb 2006 at 8:59 AM - Updated 27th Feb 2006 at 8:17 AM by bkn1978 : New information regarding mod

104 Comments / Replies (Who?) - 101 Feedback Posts, 2 Thanks Posts
Hide Thanks Posts for this thread (Show only feedback)
Page 3 of 5
Test Subject
Original Poster
#51 Old 8th Feb 2006 at 10:24 AM
Quote: Originally posted by lissabry
this is a very cool download.. there is no read me file so I created a new station under movies/broadcast called fix it yourself and placed the avi's in the new folder I will check this out shortly to see if I did it right you are a genius!!!.. also I have to agree charisma could be gotten from the E! channel..style network or maybe even biography on a stretch lol that would be sooo awesome.. and cleaning maybe from home & garden .. or discovery health lol anyway I hope I catch any future downloads you get on here I cant wait to try this :D

The README file with instructions is in the archive you should have downloaded with the "UpdFeb" bit at the end. So if you run in to any problems you know where to find it now

Hope it works out well for you and you enjoy it, any problems let me know

Lovints : Got your PM with your email address - Thank you. For the benefit of you and possibly others (to make installing the mod as easy as possible) I'm looking in to a more "graphical" way to explain install and updating. I'll try to have this done as soon as possible, by this weekend at the latest

I used to be indecisive... But now I'm not sure
Test Subject
#52 Old 8th Feb 2006 at 12:58 PM
Thanks bnk1978 take your time enjoy it with your family and I hope to here something this weekend lol
Instructor
#53 Old 9th Feb 2006 at 2:40 AM
Wow thank you! I've always been disappointed that this was not part of the game from the start. The instructions were very complicated (for a computer idiot like me!) but I think I got there in the end - will load up the game and hope for the best - I really admire all you modders and appreciate what you do to make our game more fun! (er, funner..?) You rock!
#54 Old 9th Feb 2006 at 10:16 AM
Thanks.....very good...
Test Subject
Original Poster
#55 Old 9th Feb 2006 at 4:29 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Rincewind010101
Wow thank you! I've always been disappointed that this was not part of the game from the start. The instructions were very complicated (for a computer idiot like me!) but I think I got there in the end - will load up the game and hope for the best - I really admire all you modders and appreciate what you do to make our game more fun! (er, funner..?) You rock!

Hope it worked for you Rincewind

I think (and hope) I have the instructions as clear as can be to get it working but as I said previously I want to make a more "graphical" way of showing certain things to make it even easier.

This is probably the one main reason I havent finished and uploaded the "cleaning channel" yet. I want to try to have everything more or less worked out and the install instructions as user friendly as possible so that the next channels I make will be able to be added to peoples games as smoothly as possible.

Hopefully (fingers crossed) I'll upload the next channel in the series this weekend and overhaul the main post of this thread so that all these channels by me can be found with their "series" name.

Instructor
#56 Old 11th Feb 2006 at 1:31 AM
Hey bkn1978, didn't mean to sound critical there - it's just that I am "a bit of a thicky" when it comes to this newfangled technology, lol. Ok, well I obviously did something wrong anyway - no blue screen, but just the FIY logo and no sound: must have out those movies in the wrong spot. Should they be inside the BKN... folder, or outside?

On the plus side the channel works and my sims are quite happy to watch it and gain points, even without picture or music - guess they're dumber than me! Think I'll leave it as is for now - if you do get the "graphic" version done that would be great, but I can get by with what I've got. Thanks again!
Instructor
#57 Old 11th Feb 2006 at 2:30 AM
Just to add info to something Numenor posted earlier: I have found that editing the broadcast.ini in My Documents\EA Games\The Sims 2\Config does not work. Apparently this file is overwritten with the copy from the base game folder every time. So in my case I really did need to edit the copy in Nightlife\TSData\Res\UserData\Config as per instructions. I expect once I get OFB I'll have to edit that file.
Test Subject
#58 Old 11th Feb 2006 at 2:37 AM
awesome, that is like, awesome, how do you understand all this technical stuff????? :jaw:
Test Subject
Original Poster
#59 Old 11th Feb 2006 at 10:29 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Rincewind010101
Hey bkn1978, didn't mean to sound critical there - it's just that I am "a bit of a thicky" when it comes to this newfangled technology, lol. Ok, well I obviously did something wrong anyway - no blue screen, but just the FIY logo and no sound: must have out those movies in the wrong spot. Should they be inside the BKN... folder, or outside?

On the plus side the channel works and my sims are quite happy to watch it and gain points, even without picture or music - guess they're dumber than me! Think I'll leave it as is for now - if you do get the "graphic" version done that would be great, but I can get by with what I've got. Thanks again!

No no no! I didn't take it that way at all just wanted to offer you as much help as possible so you wouldn't have trouble with it

As for the movies.. they should be put in to the TvFIY folder you placed in My Documents\EA Games\Movies

If the logo thing is coming up though you should be fine, the title screens last a little while to make the total movie times roughly 30 seconds a piece Your sims still learn even when watching the logo - Some suspect some kind of new fangled technology that infuses sims subconsious with the relative skills needed However, on behalf of the Television Network (soon to be named ) that runs FIY, I have been asked to say this on that subject .... "No comment"

Heh heh Enjoy!

Test Subject
Original Poster
#60 Old 11th Feb 2006 at 10:43 AM
Quote: Originally posted by jordi
Just to add info to something Numenor posted earlier: I have found that editing the broadcast.ini in My Documents\EA Games\The Sims 2\Config does not work. Apparently this file is overwritten with the copy from the base game folder every time. So in my case I really did need to edit the copy in Nightlife\TSData\Res\UserData\Config as per instructions. I expect once I get OFB I'll have to edit that file.

You are absolutly right!

I hadn't posted on this as I was testing this and another theory Numenor and myself had so see if there was an easier way to deal with Broadcast.ini ... Unfortunatly there isn't... So the instruction in the readme have to be followed, although I'm hoping to include a few screenshots to help make as easy as possible.

When OFB comes out I'm assuming the same as you (think I mentioned that in the readme file) that the "newer" EP's broadcast.ini file will have to be edited. Not long to find that out though eh? heh heh

Thanks for testing that out for me though Jordi

Test Subject
Original Poster
#61 Old 11th Feb 2006 at 11:56 AM Last edited by bkn1978 : 11th Feb 2006 at 7:51 PM. Reason: Problem solved
I've just updated the main post some:

'Named' what will be a series of channels for you sims to learn from (once again Thank you Echo )

Also added pics to the archive so you have something visual to refer to should you need it, hopefully this helps.

At the time of this writing however, I'm having an issue uploading the newer archive (with these screenshots contained within). So as soon as I work that out the updated archive will be available, although the current archive will still work fine this newer version is more 'user friendly from an install viewpoint.

I'll post once I get it uploaded and sorry to those of you that are waiting for these screenshots.

EDIT --- The new archive is now uploaded, I'm guessing it was more of a connection issue with myself or something as I was able to get to the upload page no problem this time, sorry once again for the wait

Retired Duck
retired moderator
#62 Old 11th Feb 2006 at 12:21 PM
*bounces up and down, Tigger style* Lookies! My name! My name! :nod:

Seriously, these are some great files and a hugely useful addition to the simsverse. I'm very honoured to have played even a small role in their creation. Can't wait for the full set of SEVEN!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#63 Old 11th Feb 2006 at 7:56 PM
* Bounces up and down with Echo* WooHooHooHoooooooooooo!!!

heehee!

I'll keep you posted Echo

On a sidenote it appears Numenor and I are dead set on fooling, tricking or generally beating the game into submission to allow use of the broadcast.ini file in the My docs area (which would be SO much easier!) so I'll be testing yet another theory on that over the weekend, if it pans out and works ok I may update the archive again with the install instructions changed. Have to wait and see.

Other than that thanks to e veryone for your comments, for testing and for your thanks as it means a lot. Lovints! Let me know if those pics in the new archive help you get the channel totally working for you, I'm hoping so

Take care all!

Lab Assistant
#64 Old 16th Feb 2006 at 2:43 AM
a small problem the fix it yourself channel I get a white screen w/ what looks like a test pattern (like the tvs used to show when channels went off air lol my age is showing) they do gain the mechanical skill though also I added some videos within the size /format that Maxis requires in the prima guide but they dont play ( I put them on the yummy channel) I either get a white screen or the orig maxis yummy channel stuff.. if somebody would /could help me with this Id gladly share my megadeth videos ( AVI 15 fps etc ) thank you ~Melissa
Test Subject
#65 Old 16th Feb 2006 at 9:37 AM
More channels wanted!!!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#66 Old 16th Feb 2006 at 11:02 AM
Quote: Originally posted by lissabry
a small problem the fix it yourself channel I get a white screen w/ what looks like a test pattern (like the tvs used to show when channels went off air lol my age is showing) they do gain the mechanical skill though also I added some videos within the size /format that Maxis requires in the prima guide but they dont play ( I put them on the yummy channel) I either get a white screen or the orig maxis yummy channel stuff.. if somebody would /could help me with this Id gladly share my megadeth videos ( AVI 15 fps etc ) thank you ~Melissa

If you put the movies in the "yummy channel" that is the channel those movies will play on. Take those movies you added (out of the TvFood directory which is for the yummy channel) -or- download the movies I made in the archive attached to this main post. Place your movies of choice in the directory you should have pasted into the "Movies\Broadcasts" directory called "TvFIY".

That folder was supplied in the main archive for you to copy over or you can just RIGHT CLICK in the "movies\broadcasts" directory and select "NEW FOLDER..." and then name it TvFIY.

If this doesn't fix your lack of picture on the TV Screen then it may be a problem with how you edited the broadcast.ini file.

Let me know how it goes

PS - On a sidenote I havent been able to work on my new channels recently, been a bit busy. However the next one should be making an appearance soon. Also (thanks to Numenor) we seem to have found a way to edit the broadcast.ini file in the "My Docs" area and preventing the game from overwriting it. This is good for 2 reasons:

1) You dont have to work out which broadcast.ini file you should edit, just use the one in the "My Docs" area regardless of the EPs you have installed.

2) If you install a new EP it shouldn't affect the installation -UNLESS- the new EP includes a brand new channel.

PPS - Hope everyone had a great Valentine's day!!

Test Subject
Original Poster
#67 Old 16th Feb 2006 at 11:03 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Lorochka
More channels wanted!!!

Working on it I swear

Just a bit frantic right now preparing for my Mom, sister and my beautiful lil 2 year old niece to come and visit me from home in UK out here in California for my birthday.

I'll have the next channel up by the end of the next weekend hopefully

Lab Assistant
#68 Old 20th Feb 2006 at 4:20 AM
Does this require EPs to work? I don't have either of the EPs yet so I don't know whether it will work or not....
#69 Old 21st Feb 2006 at 1:53 PM
Default Addition or Replacement?
Does this replace any channels or add a new one to the line up? Thanks, great work!!!
Lab Assistant
#70 Old 22nd Feb 2006 at 7:00 PM
lol I figured out my problem .. I was so frustrated after the file install ( the kids were buggin me) I forgot to add your movies *so embarrassed* now your fix it channel works fine and I cant wait to see the next channel I still cant get the megadeth videos to work but I think its a file problem cuz no matter what I try to play it on (winmedia etc) I only get sound.. in game I get nothin (just in case you wondered) so Im gonna rate this a 5 and hold my breath till your next channel comes out lol (just kidding) ~Melissa
Lab Assistant
#71 Old 22nd Feb 2006 at 7:03 PM
oh and while Im here

jediliz- I dunno about the exps I have all of them so I doubt that helps you much

TJLO- it adds a new channel :D
The ModFather
retired moderator
#72 Old 23rd Feb 2006 at 12:20 AM
Quote: Originally posted by jedilizthesim
Does this require EPs to work? I don't have either of the EPs yet so I don't know whether it will work or not....

It works without any EP, too.

I've finally started my Journal. Information only, no questions.

My latest activity: CEP 9.2.0! - AnyGameStarter 2.1.1 (UPD) - Scriptorium v.2.2f - Photo & Plaques hide with walls - Magazine Rack (UPD) - Animated Windows Hack (UPD) - Custom Instrument Hack (UPD) - Drivable Cars Without Nightlife (UPD) - Courtesy Lights (FIX) - Custom Fence-Arches - Painting-TV - Smarter Lights (UPD)

I *DON'T* accept requests, sorry.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#73 Old 24th Feb 2006 at 9:14 AM
Quote: Originally posted by TJLO
Does this replace any channels or add a new one to the line up? Thanks, great work!!!

It creates a brand new channel in the pie menu, no channel overwrites whatsoever

Apologies for not having the next channel up yet, I've been side-tracked preparing for my family visiting from the UK. They have finally got here (yay!) so I'll be spending time with them. This unfortunatly means the next channel has been pushed back to March, but I'll get it up here asap!

Take care all!

Test Subject
#74 Old 26th Feb 2006 at 7:29 AM
Default Thank you. Suggestions.
Love the idea.
Cooking. is the Yummy Channel.
Mechanical. is now FIY. (thank you)
Charisma. can be the either 'The Talkshow' or 'Language Improvement.'
Body. is Work Out
Logic. it can be a science channel. lol.
Creativity. should be a music channel or maybe an art channel.
Cleaning. can be like housecare channel

La forza del Destino~
The Force of Destiny
Test Subject
Original Poster
#75 Old 27th Feb 2006 at 8:14 AM
Default Sorry Mac Users
I've received an IM from Ganyblack (a mac user) that there isn't a workaround to make my mod work in the game if you are on this platform.

I know nothing of Macs unfortunately so wont be able to find a solution to this. If a mac user finds a way to make this work in their game PLEASE post the solution so that others may enjoy it.

Page 3 of 5