Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
MTS has all free content, all the time. Find out how YOU can help to keep it running. Tell me how...

LotExpander for Free Time (Obsolete)

by Mootilda Posted 21st Aug 2007 at 1:43 AM - Updated 27th Nov 2013 at 9:09 PM by Nysha

279 Comments / Replies (Who?) - 275 Feedback Posts, 3 Thanks Posts
Hide Thanks Posts for this thread (Show only feedback)
Page 5 of 12
Site Helper
Original Poster
#101 Old 21st Oct 2007 at 10:11 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Ailias
I tried to expand it but it failed
I even moved the lot to a free segment of downtown to give more space to expend but anyway it is aborted.
I tried another lot (community) - it was expanded fine.

Does not it work with liveable lots?
What's wrong?
Yes, the LotExpander works with occupied lots. I will have to see your lot to determine what's wrong with it. Can you attach the lot to this thread? Thanks.
MTS2 Hot Pepper
#102 Old 22nd Oct 2007 at 2:46 PM
You kidding? Attach the whole liveable furnished lot with sims?
I guess It is almost impossible.
I guess you should know the problem - I expand the lot even to a 1 along on side and it start expanding and aborting for unknown error.
I looked thru this thread It seems no one faced this trouble. strange. why it does not work to me?
Mad Poster
#103 Old 22nd Oct 2007 at 4:08 PM
Ailias,

may upload just the bare lot here or maybe somewhere and pm Mootilda the link, does that sound good?

I guess Mootilda needs the bare lot rather than all the cc.and the lot. All cc will be replaced by the default replacement if they're properly.
Site Helper
Original Poster
#104 Old 22nd Oct 2007 at 5:14 PM Last edited by Mootilda : 22nd Oct 2007 at 6:00 PM.
You kidding? Attach the whole liveable furnished lot with sims?
I guess It is almost impossible.
I guess you should know the problem - I expand the lot even to a 1 along on side and it start expanding and aborting for unknown error.
I looked thru this thread It seems no one faced this trouble. strange. why it does not work to me?
I suppose that an alternative would be for me to give you a debug build and you can report back to me any warning and error messages that you receive.

Oh, and you're right that I do know the problem. Something in your neighborhood or lot file is different than anything that I've ever seen before, and therefore I haven't added code to the LotExpander to deal with that record type / instance / version. The only solution is to determine what is different, how it's different and how to handle it properly, then add that code to the LotExpander. I honestly don't know any easy way to do this...
MTS2 Hot Pepper
#105 Old 22nd Oct 2007 at 10:00 PM
this is a picture of my poor unexpanded lot - simple 3storyhouse, 3 sims living in.
http://img228.imageshack.us/img228/...board111yb2.jpg
Site Helper
Original Poster
#106 Old 22nd Oct 2007 at 11:16 PM Last edited by Mootilda : 22nd Oct 2007 at 11:40 PM.
this is a picture of my poor unexpanded lot - simple 3storyhouse, 3 sims living in.
Unfortunately, a picture doesn't help much. The problem is in the binary information stored in either the neighborhood or lot file... the fact that you were able to expand a different lot in the same neighborhood means that it's likely the lot file.

Would you be willing to run a debug version and report the results? If so, then download the test version from:

http://www.modthesims2.com/showpost...2&postcount=521

Follow the instructions to generate a log file, then attach the text file here so that I can try to figure out what's causing your problems.
Lab Assistant
#107 Old 22nd Oct 2007 at 11:33 PM
SWEET!! This works soooo well! Great tutorial, it worked exactly as it should. I can't believe I haven't downloaded this before....THANK YOU!!
MTS2 Hot Pepper
#108 Old 23rd Oct 2007 at 3:33 PM
I had a guess that the fences that bound with lot edges can be a reason, or may be using of communitytime mod is another one.
Attached files:
File Type: zip  LEDebug.zip (3.9 KB, 5 downloads)
Site Helper
Original Poster
#109 Old 23rd Oct 2007 at 6:28 PM
I had a guess that the fences that bound with lot edges can be a reason, or may be using of communitytime mod is another one.
So far, the only thing that we know is that the problem is in a non-portal OBJT - Singular Lot Object record. I'll put debugging code into the class that handles that record type and have you run the test version again.

I don't believe that the problem is with the fences. We've done a fair amount of testing on fences at the edges of lots. However, it could easily be the mod.

Oh, I forgot to ask you: which EPs and SPs are you running with?

I'll get back to you when I have debugging available for that record - hopefully later today.
MTS2 Hot Pepper
#110 Old 23rd Oct 2007 at 7:05 PM
I'm glad you checked that log so quick and found a clue.
I can wait you bet.
I have all EPs (you can read in my profile info boxes) and SPs
Site Helper
Original Poster
#111 Old 23rd Oct 2007 at 9:13 PM Last edited by Mootilda : 27th Oct 2007 at 5:48 AM. Reason: Removed TEST version
I'm glad you checked that log so quick and found a clue.
I can wait you bet.
I have all EPs (you can read in my profile info boxes) and SPs
OK, let's try the same thing again, with the new test version attached here. This should print out all of the information about the specific OBJT record which is crashing, which should be enough to figure out what the problem is.

Thanks for your patience.

[Update:]

I have released a new version 1.2.8, which I am hopeful will resolve your crash. Please download from the original post and let me know if you continue to have problems.

Removed TEST version, since it is no longer needed.
Test Subject
#112 Old 26th Oct 2007 at 7:39 PM
This sounds much like a problem that was happening to me. I created a fully furnished home and it wouldn't work; the opperation would abort. I created the same house minus the furniture and later one with a basement (all had the same layout). I even deleted the original home and placed one of the newer versions to be shrunk on the same area.

When I just did it with a basic (with or without basement) unfurnished house fully painted on the outside and the layout, it worked fine. I have Windows Vista Home Premium Edition and all the EP's and special packs.

As of current for me this is the only way to create the houses. I have yet to play in one, since I'm working on several.

Anyway, hopefully my information is of help.
Site Helper
Original Poster
#113 Old 26th Oct 2007 at 9:07 PM
Quote: Originally posted by NarcissaAMalfoy
Anyway, hopefully my information is of help.
If it's possible, the easiest way for me to find the problem is to have one of these houses to debug. Would it be possible for you to attach a zipped copy of your house to this thread?
Test Subject
#114 Old 26th Oct 2007 at 9:34 PM Last edited by NarcissaAMalfoy : 26th Oct 2007 at 9:41 PM.
do you want the Custom Content/maxis furniture in it.

edit: I have the kitchen done with custom cabinets and counters. Maxis bookshelves, some recolors of maxis furniture, and the bookcase that's a hidden door. Plus several hacks, not sure if any of them could be the case.
Site Helper
Original Poster
#115 Old 26th Oct 2007 at 9:44 PM
do you want the Custom Content/maxis furniture in it.

edit: I have the kitchen done with custom cabinets and counters. Maxis bookshelves, some recolors of maxis furniture, and the bookcase that's a hidden door. Plus several hacks, not sure if any of them could be the case.
Yes, since the problem may be with the CC. However, if you would prefer not to include it, I can see whether I can reproduce the problem without the CC first.
Site Helper
Original Poster
#116 Old 26th Oct 2007 at 11:23 PM Last edited by Mootilda : 27th Oct 2007 at 5:45 AM.
okay, I can't upload it here but I can give you a link to an upload.
Got it. You can remove the upload now, if you'd like.

[Update:]

Please download the newest version 1.2.8 and see whether this resolves your problem. Thanks so much for reporting this problem and giving me your house so that I could reproduce and find the problem.
Site Helper
Original Poster
#117 Old 27th Oct 2007 at 6:10 AM Last edited by Mootilda : 27th Oct 2007 at 3:29 PM.
Default New version 1.2.8
There is a new version of the LotExpander available, 1.2.8. I have fixed several crashing bugs. See release history in the original post for further information.
Field Researcher
#118 Old 28th Oct 2007 at 3:06 AM
tiny little question....is it possible to get a lot even smaller than 10 squares across? maybe 6, 7, or 8? it doesn't seem likely but if there's a trick....
Site Helper
Original Poster
#119 Old 28th Oct 2007 at 5:15 AM Last edited by Mootilda : 28th Oct 2007 at 6:34 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by staciew1
tiny little question....is it possible to get a lot even smaller than 10 squares across? maybe 6, 7, or 8? it doesn't seem likely but if there's a trick....
Yes, it is possible to do this. Unfortunately, the game does not gracefully handle lots which are not a multiple of 10. So, you get a hole in your neighborhood, between the actual size of your lot and the larger size which the game believes that your lot should be. You may have seen pictures of this effect before - a large blue "disconnect" at the edge of your lot where you can see below the earth into the sky which surrounds the sim-world.

Because of this, I do not believe that it's likely that the LotExpander will ever support lots which are not a multiple of 10 tiles.
One horse disagreer of the Apocalypse
#120 Old 28th Oct 2007 at 9:39 AM
Though with the right instruction about starting with flat land and keeping the lot flat, the blue gash won't happen. Could be an advanced option?

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
Site Helper
Original Poster
#121 Old 28th Oct 2007 at 6:34 PM Last edited by Mootilda : 31st Oct 2007 at 1:41 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by Inge Jones
Though with the right instruction about starting with flat land and keeping the lot flat, the blue gash won't happen. Could be an advanced option?
Inge and staciew1,

This is really an inappropriate thread for the discussion of research issues like shrinking of lots, lots which are not multiples of 10 tiles, and the possibility of implementing advanced features.

This thread is for discussion and support of the existing released LotExpander.

So, I am moving this discussion to the Lot Modding thread:
http://www.modthesims2.com/showthread.php?p=1761779

See you there.
Site Helper
Original Poster
#122 Old 4th Nov 2007 at 3:18 PM
Quote: Originally posted by comcal
Great program! Thanks Is there any way to shrink a lot though?
We are currently working on this feature. So far, we've been having intermittent crashes which may point to lot and/or neighborhood corruption. So, the feature is not yet ready for use. If you are interested in following the research, please check out the research thread. We've been talking about shrinking of lots since the beginning of the thread, but the really interesting work started around Oct 17th:

http://www.modthesims2.com/showthread.php?t=250693
Lab Assistant
#123 Old 11th Dec 2007 at 5:56 AM
I can't remember if I've thanked you for this great mod yet so I wanted to come back and say how much I love and use this mod!! It's one of my all time favorites... easy to use, makes all those nice houses on too small lots sooo usable. Anyway, I don't know how you did it but thank you for sharing it with eveyone :lovestruc
Test Subject
#124 Old 5th Jan 2008 at 11:45 AM
I have an error with this:

See the end of this message for details on invoking
just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.

************** Exception Text **************
System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
at SimPe.Packages.File.Read(IPackedFileDescriptor pfd)
at LotExpander.LotExpander.NeighborhoodScreen() in G:\Source\LotExpander\Source\LE129\129\LotExpander.cs:line 327
at LotExpander.LotExpander.NextButton_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e) in G:\Source\LotExpander\Source\LE129\129\LotExpander.cs:line 116
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.OnClick(EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnClick(EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs mevent)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.ButtonBase.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Button.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

************** Loaded Assemblies **************
mscorlib
Assembly Version: 2.0.0.0
Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.832 (QFE.050727-8300)
CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v2.0.50727/mscorlib.dll
----------------------------------------
LotExpander
Assembly Version: 1.2.9.0
Win32 Version: 1.2.9.0
CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files/LotExpander/LotExpander.exe
System.Windows.Forms
CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.dll
System
CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll
System.Drawing
CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Drawing/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Drawing.dll
System.Configuration
CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Configuration/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Configuration.dll
System.Xml
CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Xml/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Xml.dll
simpe.package
Assembly Version: 1.0.2676.19318
Win32 Version: 1.0.2676.19318
CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files/LotExpander/simpe.package.DLL
simpe.interfaces
Assembly Version: 1.0.2676.19317
Win32 Version: 1.0.2676.19317
CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files/LotExpander/simpe.interfaces.DLL
simpe.helper
Assembly Version: 0.62.1.100
Win32 Version: 0.62.1.100
CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files/LotExpander/simpe.helper.DLL
simpe.clst
CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files/LotExpander/simpe.clst.DLL
simpe.commonhandler
CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files/LotExpander/simpe.commonhandler.DLL

************** JIT Debugging **************
To enable just-in-time (JIT) debugging, the .config file for this
application or computer (machine.config) must have the
jitDebugging value set in the system.windows.forms section.
The application must also be compiled with debugging
enabled.

For example:

<configuration>
<system.windows.forms jitDebugging="true" />
</configuration>

When JIT debugging is enabled, any unhandled exception
will be sent to the JIT debugger registered on the computer
rather than be handled by this dialog box.

My english is not so good, so I don't understand what I must do now.
Can someone help me pls?
Site Helper
Original Poster
#125 Old 6th Jan 2008 at 6:38 PM Last edited by Mootilda : 10th Jan 2008 at 4:07 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by dakkie13
I have an error with this: [...]
My english is not so good, so I don't understand what I must do now.
Can someone help me pls?
It looks like the LotExpander is having problems reading the catalog description in one of your neighborhood files. Let me look into this a bit and see whether I can figure out what the problem might be. Can you tell me which operating system you're running (Window XP, Vista 32, Vista 64, ...?), which EPs / SPs you have installed, and which language version of the Sims 2 you are running?
Page 5 of 12