Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
MTS has all free content, all the time. Find out how YOU can help to keep it running. Tell me how...

AnyGameStarter v. 2.1.3 (for CD/DVD games) * UPD 29 Dec 2017

by Numenor Posted 27th Sep 2007 at 9:41 AM - Updated 28th Dec 2017 at 11:28 PM by Numenor

516 Comments / Replies (Who?) - 473 Feedback Posts, 42 Thanks Posts
Hide Thanks Posts for this thread (Show only feedback)
Page 3 of 21
#51 Old 28th Dec 2008 at 4:07 AM
Numinor, this is a question of ability, not a request for action.

CAN you write a program that would move the entire Sims 2 Documents sub-folder to a location NOT within My Documents?

Given what I have been reading about this program, I have reason to believe that it may well be possible, despite previous statements elsewhere here at MTS2 that it is not.

If it is possible, I`d like to learn how. I`m competant at registry modification, within reasonable limits, and I am able to write code to manage registry modifications for me.

This Space Intentionally Left Blank
The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#52 Old 28th Dec 2008 at 9:10 AM
GeneralOD, the problem is that the game always looks for the "EA Games\The Sims 2" folder in the [i]user documents; this behaviour is hardcoded into the game and can't be changed in any way.
What does the AGS is to temporarily move the pointer to the user documents, in the Registry, to another location (even outside the real Documents folder), but the game still thinks that the new location is the "documents" one!
That's why this temporary mispacement only occurs for 30/40 seconds: during this time, both the game and Windows itself are fooled by the AGS, who makes them think that the Documents are elsewere, while this is not true.

That said, you now understand that it's not possible to "move the Sims2 folder to a location NOT within My Documents". You can only change the location of the My Documents folder, but the new location will be used by both the game and Windows.

I've finally started my Journal. Information only, no questions.

My latest activity: CEP 9.2.0! - AnyGameStarter 2.1.1 (UPD) - Scriptorium v.2.2f - Photo & Plaques hide with walls - Magazine Rack (UPD) - Animated Windows Hack (UPD) - Custom Instrument Hack (UPD) - Drivable Cars Without Nightlife (UPD) - Courtesy Lights (FIX) - Custom Fence-Arches - Painting-TV - Smarter Lights (UPD)

I *DON'T* accept requests, sorry.
Alchemist
#53 Old 28th Dec 2008 at 11:14 AM Last edited by aelflaed : 28th Dec 2008 at 12:56 PM. Reason: more info
Thanks, Numenor, I'll see how version 202 goes for me. Crossing fingers now...

Okay, it works now. I only seem to have the option to make one version of BGS permanent at a time - can't alter the checkboxes. It began with allowing up to Freetime, then Uni, then Freetime only, then basegame versions to be made permanent. This may be how it is designed of course.

I was able to make permanent three BGS versions. Haven't tried to play them or the fullgame.

Edit: The basegame permagame errored again. Once more, no error text seemed to be created on the desktop, although I ran AGS from the Start menu.

I was able to make permanent three BGS versions. Haven't tried to play them or the fullgame.

The error this time is different. - "move file failed, code 3, cannot find path". The file in question has a rather long name, would that be it? :

DEFAULTREPLACEMENT_Skin_Idolatry-of-Flesh-AC_s1-s4_HystericalParoxysm-MTS2_ageTransitionFaces_CatOfEvilGenius_MTS2.package

I'll take that out and try again.

Edit: I removed that file from the basegame folder, but another file (with a long name also) came up with the same error. No error text still.

The path for this file is from FT, but I am trying to make basegame-only permanent.

Edit: the more exact path is ...MyDocuments\Anypermagames\Permagame4\FT\EaGames\Sims2\Downloads\Hacks Freetime\Default Replacements\theMysticalOne\PregDefaults\afBodyHipJacketWideFlaredPants.package

There is a folder for Permagame 4, although it has not yet succeeded due to these errors. There is no shortcut. The folder contains Appfiles, Basegame, BV, FT folders. Should those even be there, when it is supposed to be basegame-only?
The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#54 Old 28th Dec 2008 at 2:34 PM
Aelflaed - I don't know if Inno Setup has a maximum length allowed for paths, when moving files; I can't find anything like that in the documentation. However, the files you mention seem to have an exceptionally long path+filename, maybe that is the cause. If the Downloads are the only problem, you can move the Downloads from:
(Documents)\BaseGameStarter\BaseGame\EA Games\The Sims 2
to the desktop, and then repeat the conversion process (read on, about creating again the same PermaGame). If the conversion succeeds, you can then move the Downloads folder from the desktop to:
(Documents)\AnyPermaGames\PermaGameX\EA Games\The Sims 2.

In general, for your information, here is how the AGS is supposed to work, when making PermaGames from old BGS games.
- In the first screen, you have to choose the option "Make PERMANENT an existing game".
- In the following screen, you should see listed, under the title "BaseGameStarter game:", all the old BGS games that you have played at least once; all of them they should appear, not one by one like you mention. Here is an example from my computer:

Note how my list contains my two AnyGames, and two old BGS games (grouped together under the mentioned title).

- When you select an old BGS game, and proceed, the game is copied to the new location, but the original BGS game is not deleted (this is because the old BGS used folders shared between several games). Therefore, if the first time the process creates a faulty PermaGame, or doesn't complete at all, you can delete the PermaGameX folder (from Documents\AnyPermaGames), then run the old BGS game once more, and lastly run again the AGS installer: you should see again the BGS game in the list.

In your case, you try to convert the BaseGame-only BGS game; the installer expects to find it in: (Documents)\BaseGameStarter\BaseGame, and should copy all the files and folder within "BaseGame" to: (Documents)\AnyPermaGames\PermaGameX.
But you mention a file copied into:
...MyDocuments\Anypermagames\Permagame4\FT\EaGames\Sims2\Downloads\...
This shouldn't be! It seems to me that the installer is trying to copy the entire "BaseGameStarter" folder into PermaGame4, while it should copy only the "BaseGameStarter\BaseGame" subfolder.

QUESTIONS:
1) Have you by chance moved the old BGS folders? Is the old BaseGame still in (Documents)\BaseGameStarter\BaseGame?
2) Have you run the installer while a mini-game was running or starting?
3) Does the old BaseGame still work, when you start it using the old BGS icon?

NOTE about the Install Log: it is created only if you start the installer using the icons in the Start Menu. If using them doesn't help, use the function "Force re-create icons" in the installer.

My latest activity: CEP 9.2.0! - AnyGameStarter 2.1.1 (UPD) - Scriptorium v.2.2f - Photo & Plaques hide with walls - Magazine Rack (UPD) - Animated Windows Hack (UPD) - Custom Instrument Hack (UPD) - Drivable Cars Without Nightlife (UPD) - Courtesy Lights (FIX) - Custom Fence-Arches - Painting-TV - Smarter Lights (UPD)

Test Subject
#55 Old 28th Dec 2008 at 4:18 PM
This is amazing- however, me being really rather idiotic, I havent worked out how to install custom content into the minigames... well what i can do is drag sims2pack files onto the game (and that works) but doing that for every single file would take ages... and it won't work with ordinary package files... Am i being really stupid?
The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#56 Old 28th Dec 2008 at 4:38 PM
Each mini-game has a Downloads folder of its own, located in:
(Documents)\AnyGameStarter\AnyGameX\EA Games\The Sims 2
or
(Documents)\AnyPermaGames\PermaGameX\EA Games\The Sims 2,
depending on what type og game you have created.
You can copy the .package files directly into the Downloads folder, while the Sims2Packs must be installed as you already know.

Test Subject
#57 Old 28th Dec 2008 at 4:39 PM
thank you so much- you are truly super-genious
#58 Old 28th Dec 2008 at 4:59 PM Last edited by GeneralOperationsDirector : 28th Dec 2008 at 10:12 PM. Reason: I misspelled Numenor`s name, and just *HAD* to fix it!
Thank you for the information, Numenor; I was "afraid" that it would turn out to be something like that.

However, this gives me some other ideas.

Assuming I don`t do anything else during game initialization [which is kinda difficult to do anyway, when running full-screen mode, as it doesn`t let me alt-tab out of the program then], can you assure me that it would be "moderately safe" for me to change the Registry Entry for My Documents to another location with more disk space, launch the program, then switch it back? This appears to be what you`re doing with AGS; I would be doing it for different reasons, though.

Also, in the interest of saving disk-space, when using multiple games with AGS, --are you familiar with Linux`s hard- and soft-link features?-- I`m thinking that it would possibly be useful to use Windows XP`s hard-link feature to reduce duplicated files, especially if one can hard-link directories full of shared downloads. Comments?

The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#59 Old 28th Dec 2008 at 10:10 PM
I would appreciate very much if you could call me "Numenor" instead of "Numinor"

I don't know about this Linux feature, and I don't think that Windows support it. Or better, Windows XP (and perhaps Vista...) can do something that might help: you can create a link that appears as a folder, but actually it's a separate hard disk; for example, you could reserve your "G:" drive to the AnyGameStarter, and create a link named "AnyGameStarter" into the Documents folder, that actually points to "G:".
However, if you (like me) have a lot of space on another disk, different than where Windows resides, then why not moving the entire Documents folder to that drive? For example, I have my Documents on K:

Regarding your idea to manually modify the Registry, I don't think it would be "moderately safe": the temporary mispacemente must be as short as possible, to prevent Windows from messing around in the wrong "documents" folder.
You should change the Registry, start the game, wait for the NH screen, switch back to the desktop, restore the Registry and go back to the game.

#60 Old 28th Dec 2008 at 10:28 PM Last edited by GeneralOperationsDirector : 28th Dec 2008 at 10:33 PM.
I`m sorry about that, Numenor! I fixed it!

I have already done something similar with mounting my F: drive and a few others in directories in C:\SomewhereSuitable\DeviceName, and something similar **might** be useful to me.

As for moving my entire Documents folder to F:, my external terabyte drive is actually a Linux-based fileserver that I have automaticaly netmounted; it would prove awkward to move my entire Documents folder there, as I occasionally have to power up the main system without powering up the external drive.

As for the hard-links, Windows does *NOT* support Linux filesystems, much less Linux filesystem hard-links, but Windows XP *does* support hard-links in NTFS partitions, if I recall correctly; at any rate, it is the filesystem that XP introduced for even larger partitions with less wasted space than the best FAT could do. What hard-links do is to make one file [or directory, I hope!] appear in two different directories on the same partition, or under two different names in one directory. Soft-links do the same thing, but remove the limitation that it all be in a single partition, by using a different technique. What you describe above sounds like a limited form of soft-link.

Edit: I checked, and it *is* NTFS. Now if only I could remember how to *make* the NTFS hard-links.

Field Researcher
#61 Old 28th Dec 2008 at 11:40 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Numenor
TO ANYONE HAVING PROBLEMS WITH THE "FULL GAME"
I'm sorry if the new AGS is causing problems to your games; it was deeply rewritten, compared to the previous version, and therefore some bugs are expected.
However, please keep in mind that I can't know what's wrong with your game if you don't provide me information.
If you manage to give me an AppFiles folder (see FAQ C-3), I will help you restoring your game and you will help me tracking down possible bugs.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dude_Potatoes - If you have shut down Windows while the mini-game was loading, then you might have messed up the path to your Documents, and therefore the Full game can't find any more you neighborhoods etc.
Please read the FAQ C-3 from the FAQ Page, follow the instructions (especially the part "If the Full Game still doesn't work...") and post here your AppFiles.

Liza495 - You too, please, read the FAQ C-3 from the FAQ Page and follow the instructions.

Thanks for teh quick info. I haven't thought of providing an AppFiles attachment as by the way this thread (while another one is locked) is new to me and I read it to see if some people had similar problems.

I did all the steps that were described in the FAQ section you provided. Proof that it worked fine for me the very first day I installed AGS. But maybe I was very confused with two Documents folders appearing in my user's directory with one having the actual game's folder almost empty.

I actually needed to reinstall AL but at the first try with EA Download Manager I got a message asking me if I wanted to leave this installation. From EA Download Manager I know since yesterday that they certainly disabled Pets and FreeTime to allow me reinstall. Which I did this morning and I installed AL successfully again... maybe thanks also to the restoration of the computer system as it was last Dec. 26...

At the moment I prefer to not reinstall AGS but if I ever do I won't select all the EPs I have for the mini game and maybe only the ones I have on CD rom. Maybe there's a true issue with EPs purchased online as Pets and FreeTime seem to have been affected by something that I never experimented before with CC and even not with a few hacks.

It will take me more time to test CC in the actual time but excepted from "fatal error messages" I never had severe issues and especially not from reinstalling the whole game all over again.

The presence of of amost similar folder names for both The Sims 2 (Documents) and AGS is very confusing.
The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#62 Old 29th Dec 2008 at 12:44 AM
Liza495 - Thanks for reporting back. So, you have the online version of AL? The AGS is not compatible with online games!
There's a partial workaround (see FAQ A-4), but use it at your own risk.

Field Researcher
#63 Old 29th Dec 2008 at 1:01 AM
Wonderful! *_*
I use to test objects. Is "completely" save to test BHAV modifications? I mean, any chance of the AnyGame, only with basegame, "forgot" and inclue some data of the expansions?
Banned
#64 Old 29th Dec 2008 at 5:15 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Numenor
The problem with the online EPs is easy to understand, but impossible (for me) to solve.
While the CD-versions, when run, only check if the original CD is in the drive, the online version check the location of the save-game (which is different for each AnyGame), and report to EA that the game was "installed in a different location". Since the users are allowed to reinstall the game, in different locations, a very limited number of times, soon the user runs out of reinstallations, and the game stops working. I can't do anything about this, because this check is embedded into the executable, which I can't modify.

However, in some cases, there's a workaround, that allows - at least - a limited usage of the AGS even with online EPs.

When you run an AnyGame, the executable actually run is the one from the latest EP included in the AnyGame. Therefore, if you have some online EPs and some CD-versions, you can create and run an Anygame that includes, as the latest EP, a CD version.
For example, if you have:
- CD versions for UNI, PETS and BV
- online versions for SSN, FT and AL
then you can create an AnyGame that includes BV as the latest EP (thus excluding FT and AL); you can even include SSN in this AnyGame: the fact that SSN is an online game is irrelevant, since the "latest EP" is BV, i.e. a CD game!

IMPORTANT: When I talk about "EPs" I mean games that act as an Expansion Packs (not Stuff Packs); for example, if you have IKEA on CD, you CAN'T use it as "Latest EP" in an AnyGame!
For your reference, here is a full list of games that act as Expansions, and therefore can be used as "Latest EP" in an AnyGame, if you own the CD:
Base, UNI, NL, OFB, FFS, GLS, PETS, SSN, BV, FT, AL, MG.

I hope that I was clear enough If not, ask me for details and I will gladly give them.

In any case, my warning is still valid: the AGS is to be considered incompatible with the online EPs, because I don't have online versions and I can't run any test in such environment. If you want to try yourself, do it at your own risk.

Here's what I have downloaded:

Base Game
Nightlife
Celebration Stuff
Freetime
Apartment Life
Glamour Life Stuff
H&M fashion Stuff
Pets
Sims 2 Store

Here's what I have on physical cd:

Open for Business
Mansion & Garden Stuff
Kitchen & Bath Stuff
Family Fun Stuff
Ikea Home Stuff
Seasons
Bon Voyage
University

What should I do since I have the base game downloaded, I would rebuy the base game I guess.I can always backup all of my downloads and saved sims.
Alchemist
#65 Old 29th Dec 2008 at 11:08 AM Last edited by aelflaed : 29th Dec 2008 at 12:37 PM. Reason: added apps file
Default BGS problem
Quote:
It seems to me that the installer is trying to copy the entire "BaseGameStarter" folder into PermaGame4, while it should copy only the "BaseGameStarter\BaseGame" subfolder.

QUESTIONS:
[QUOTE]1) Have you by chance moved the old BGS folders? Is the old BaseGame still in (Documents)\BaseGameStarter\BaseGame?

I don't believe I have ever moved it. That's where it is now.
Quote:
2) Have you run the installer while a mini-game was running or starting?
No, have not opened any game variation since installing the new AGS.
Quote:
3) Does the old BaseGame still work, when you start it using the old BGS icon?
Haven't tried, will get back to you on that.
Quote:
Install Log: it is created only if you start the installer using the icons in the Start Menu. If using them doesn't help, use the function "Force re-create icons" in the installer.
I understand. Forcing the icons did get a log, attaching below.

The selection screenshot you posted looks about right, except that I don't yet have any AGS games. What I was trying to convey was that from that screen, I am only able to check a certain configuration, in the order I reported. After that version was made permanent, a different BGS version was pre-checked in that screen and others could not be chosen.

Maybe this is cleverness, so the BGS games can be updated in some kind of order. It's not really a problem, I just thought it odd.

Is it recommended, then, to delete the permagameX folder created, if the process is aborted? I didn't at first realise that any folder had been created, only found it later.

I just tried moving the faulty Permagame folder to the desktop and running AGS again. Same file-moving error. The file it is trying to move is NOT part of the basegame setup, as you mention, but is installed in the BSG Freetime setup. The Freetime BSG game seemed to transfer to Permagame without trouble, although I haven't tried to play.

I'll try running the Basegame and report back later.

Edit: The BGS Basegame appears to work as usual. I entered a house and took them off pause for a moment, all seemed good.

More Edit:
I have been trying to run the FT Permagames from the shortcuts, but nothing happens. I'll read the info again in case I'm being dumb, but perhaps that means my whole AGS installation is broken.

Attaching the Appfile from one of the Permagames (up to FT).

Even More edit: I tried running the UpToFT BSG game, it seems to work still. I'll check back tomorrow now, computer time is very limited at present.
Attachments Pending Approval
File Type: rar AGSinstaller_Log1.rar
File Type: rar Permagame1-FTAppFiles.rar
Test Subject
#66 Old 29th Dec 2008 at 6:40 PM
Edit: Oh, it's not working for me... AnyGameStarter has always worked for me before... It's not running the game. It's really weird because I'm not doing anything different.

It makes the icons and appears like it's made the game but when I click on it, it will never start. It just does the registry editor thing it always does three times but then nothing else.
The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#67 Old 29th Dec 2008 at 8:21 PM
Quote: Originally posted by eletrodj
I use to test objects. Is "completely" save to test BHAV modifications? I mean, any chance of the AnyGame, only with basegame, "forgot" and include some data of the expansions?

In my experience, it never happened. I use clean "basegame-only" AnyGames very frequently, and they never failed to crash/quit/misbehave whenever I tried to test object not perfectly compatible with the base game only.

---------------------------------------------------------------

JONINMOBILE - First off, we must put all the existing packs in "order of precedence"; this is the order used by the game to determine which CD must inserted in the drive in order to play, and it's also used to understand which executable should actually be executed.
Here is the full list:
Base-UNI-NL-OFB-FFS-GLS-CEL-H&M-STORE-TSS-K&B-IKEA-PETS-SSN-BV-FT-AL-M&G.
As you can see, this unusual order has nothing to do with the chronological order followed by Maxis to publish the various packs: it's rather based on the fact that all the Stuff Packs from CEL to IKEA contain the Pets code, and M&G contains the AL code.

You can use the list above to determine, for a given AnyGame, which one is the "latest EP": it's the pack, included in the AnyGame, that has the rightmost position on the list.
For example, in an AnyGame that contains all the packs up to H&M, the "latest EP" is Seasons; while in an AnyGame containing all the packs up to TSS, the "latest EP" is BV.

Now, let's examine your specific case. The following list is the same as above, but with the online games in brackets:
(Base)-UNI-(NL)-OFB-FFS-(GLS)-(CEL)-(H&M)-TSS-STORE-K&B-IKEA-(PETS)-SSN-BV-(FT)-(AL)-M&G.
Please note that STORE doesn't count as "online game", because it doesn't perform any security check (neither on CD, nor online), and therefore it's always safe.

How to proceed? Simple: choose one pack NOT in brackets from the list above, and consider it as "Latest EP"; you can include or exclude at will any pack listed on the left of the chosen "latest EP", and your AnyGame should work fine.
For example, here are some combinations that should WORK:
- (Base) + SSN + (CEL) + (H&M) -> It works because the rightmost on the list is SSN.
- (Base) + (AL) + M&G -> It works because M&G is the rightmost
- (Base) + all the packs -> Again, M&G is the rightmost

And here are some compbinations that will NOT WORK:
- (Base) only -> Base is online
- (Base) + (PETS) + IKEA -> Rightmost one is Pets (online game)

If you want me to confirm that a specific combination is good or bad, ask me. But before closing this post, let me state once more, as a general warning, that the AGS shouldn't be used with online games at all, and everything I explained in this post derives from my theorethical knowledge, and not from actual tests (because I only have CD-versions).

#68 Old 29th Dec 2008 at 8:31 PM
"Base - UNI - NL - OFB - FFS - GLS - CEL - H&M - STORE - TSS - K&B - IKEA - PETS - SSN - BV - FT - AL - M&G"

THANK you, Numenor! This is the first time I`ve encountered that list, especially sorted in the order of which executable to run for any given configuration.

How would the list read for Double Deluxe users [like me]?

The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#69 Old 30th Dec 2008 at 12:29 AM Last edited by Numenor : 30th Dec 2008 at 12:39 AM.
AELFLAED - The logs don't tell me very much, but your description does.
You say that when you see the list of BGS games available for conversion, one of them is already selected, and you can't change the selection; it shouldn't be this way, and I'd like to see a screenshot of that.
Under these conditions, from the installer point of view, accepting the pre-selected (unchangeable) game means not selecting any game, and therefore the installer tries to convert the entire BaseGameStarter folder, instead of one selected sub-folder only.
I still couldn't understand why this happens...
In addition to providing a screenshot, will you please run a test? Try to follow the same conversion procedure you already did, but using the "Standard" icon instead. Are the BGS entries still unselectable? Does the installer still try moving the entire BGS folder (BaseGame, FT etc...)?

As a bottom line, I've seen from the install log that the file that gave error was actually the one with the longest path+filename; probably the installer DOES have a limit, as for the length of the filename.
If so, the workaround can be moving the Downloads folder away before the conversion, as suggested in my earlier post; or just click "Ignore" whenever the error is issued (in this case, of course, the faulty files will NOT be copied, of course, but at least the conversion would be completed).

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Quote: Originally posted by GeneralOperationsDirector
How would the list read for Double Deluxe users [like me]?

Deluxe and DoubleDeluxe make no difference, the order is the same; only the locations of the various executable may be different. Apart from a new graphics, Deluxe is nothing more than a Base+NL game, from the operational point of view.

Lab Assistant
#70 Old 30th Dec 2008 at 2:09 AM
Squeeee!!!! I can't wait to try it out!!! ~~smooches and hugs~~
#71 Old 30th Dec 2008 at 2:28 AM
So what executable would I run if I want to run a BaseGame Only environment or a NightLife Only environment? I cannot run executables I do not have, and the Double Deluxe executable includes features that I presumably would not want, and presumably is equivalent to a patched Celebration Stuff executable [which I understand neither has nor "needs" patches].

Alchemist
#72 Old 30th Dec 2008 at 6:49 AM
Numenor, I've tried again. First try with standard AGS (I am sure I tried both icons in previous attempts, but could not say which particular times).

Basegame and Only FT were available, prechecked and unalterable. (AGS Screen1.jpg) Other checkboxes on that screen could be altered. That Permagame had already been updated, but will not open using the new icon. It ran from the old BSG last night, though. I had moved the non-functioning icon into a folder on the desktop by now.

I deleted the faulty Permagame folder for this configuration (not the foldered icon) and allowed the permagame to complete. New desktop icon created, Permagame still does not load.

Tried AGS standard installer again. This time, only BSG was listed, cannot be deselected. Other boxes on that screen can be changed. (AGS-Screen2)(AGS-Screen3)The installer ran through what looked like my fullgame, or at least the BSG Up to FT Downloads. Eventually it gave a new error - sourcefile does not exist, for MyDocs\BSG\Appfiles\Sims2_reg.

Attaching pics and error log. Sorry to make so much trouble!

I haven't yet tried removing the DL folders, will do that later. Have to do other stuff now.
Screenshots
File Type: rar AGSinstaller_Log2.rar
The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#73 Old 30th Dec 2008 at 10:45 AM Last edited by Numenor : 30th Dec 2008 at 1:34 PM.
JOTT - If the installer creates the games, but then they don't run, please read FAQ C-2 and provided the needed information.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

GeneralOD - The executable for the base game is:
(Program files)\EA Games\The Sims 2 Deluxe\Base\TSBin\Sims2.exe
while the executable for Deluxe (also used for a "OnlyNL" game) is:
(Program files)\EA Games\The Sims 2 Deluxe\EP2\TSBin\Sims2EP2.exe.
As for the Maxis patches, I think that Maxis releases specific patches for Deluxe, that need to be patched just like standard games.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

AELFLAED - I start to understand. Thank you for your detailed reports, that will help me improve/fix the AGS installer
Your second screenshot is what the installer looks like when there are NO old BGS games to convert; the label "BaseGameStarter games:" that you see is NOT the old "Basegame-only" BGS game, but a mere title for the actuall BGS games, that should be listed underneath it.
As a matter of fact, that title should not appear at all, when there are no games to convert: it's something I will fix in the next release. For now, running the installer under these conditions (your screenshot #3) means NOT selecting any BGS game, thus forcing the installer to convert at once the entire BaseGameStarter folder (i.e. something that is never supposed to actually happen).

So, the main question is:
Why there is only FT listed in screenshot #1? And why, after making FT permanent, the list is empty (screenshot #2)?
The first answer that comes to my mind is the one written in FAQ D-3: the installer excludes from the list the old BGS games that were never actually run at least once. In detail, the installer knows if the game has been run if two conditions are met:
- in (Documents)\BaseGameStarter\AppFiles there are two files, named "Start_BaseGame.bat" and "StartBaseGameLog.txt"; the last one (...Log.txt) is deleted after conversion to PermaGame, so that the installer knows that the base-only has already been converted;
- in (Documents)\BaseGameStarter\BaseGame\EA Games\The Sims 2 there is a file named "groups.cache".
Please check if the three files are there; if not, run the base-only BGS game once more and check again.

Another solution may be that the installer has a bug specifically regarding the base-only game, and can't correctly detect that it exists (in your system) and HAS been run. I will check the code for this.

Also, I noticed something wrong in the FT-PermaGame AppFiles that you provided earlier; in my system, the installer doesn't make the same error... Let me investigate more about that: I will ask you more info if needed.

Field Researcher
#74 Old 30th Dec 2008 at 12:23 PM
I cannot make AnyGameStarter work.

I completely removed all previous AnyGames and reinstalled the new version. It is installed without problem, but when I double-click the desktop icon to start AnyGame, nothing happens. I tried it with many different combinations of EP+SP, but never once succeeded.

Attached AppFiles folder. It's only for one AnyGame with BaseGame+GLS. I use Windows XP Pro SP3.
File Type: rar AppFiles.rar

NO Requests! | How to update fridges/computers to FT | Booty - Get pay items for free!
Check out my Journal for updates on past creations.
Recent Updates: Pie Menu Text Strings Fix | Teen Style Stuff Computer and Stereo Fix | IKEA Home Stuff Objects Fix
The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#75 Old 30th Dec 2008 at 1:29 PM
Lord Darcy - This is extremely puzzling... The installer didn't create correctly the batch file "Start_AnyGame2.bat": few line (but absolutely relevant) are missing.
What puzzles me is that:
- I didn't change that part of the code in the new AGS2, it's the same old code used in the previous versions;
- the code COULD create some lines and COULDN'T create some others.
Frankly, I don't know why is that... It seems like the destination batch file gets blocked by something, but not continuously.

Will you please RESTART windows, and then create some more AnyGames and post again your AppFiles? I'd like to see if the missing lines are random, or they are always the same.

Page 3 of 21