Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Mad Poster
#26476 Old 7th Mar 2021 at 3:54 PM
It's as if I never installed it.
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#26477 Old 7th Mar 2021 at 4:20 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Charity
It's as if I never installed it.

Could you link the specific download? I'll try to see if it happens to me too.

Mad Poster
#26478 Old 7th Mar 2021 at 4:22 PM Last edited by simmer22 : 7th Mar 2021 at 4:35 PM.
@Charity

1: Too long file path (256+ characters)

2: Special characters in filenames (especially . as everything after can be seen as part of the file extension, along with extra ".package" additions, but also characters other than A-Z and 0-9 and _ )

3: For Bodyshop/CAS, make sure it's not Project Package files. These don't show up (they don't have text or Binary resources, so they're easy to diagnose - if you want to use them you have to remake the files. Just extract the textures, preferably find a working recolor if it exists, and make new recolors using the extracted textures).

If it's an older download, I'm thinking #3 most likely is the problem. I've had to fix a few older ones I had in my downloads. If you're super lucky it could be one of the ones I've already fixed (but probably not - I've only fixed 3-4 or so sets of toddler/child clothes, maybe a set or two of adult/teen clothes. I've had a full-on razzia in my CAS folder, recategorizing, tooltipping and checking everything. Still not done - that thing is massive... ).
Forum Resident
#26479 Old 7th Mar 2021 at 5:27 PM
In y'all's experience (with or without wfsanity), do sims with no family or fortune aspirations ever roll wants to get married or have kids? My hood's gonna be mostly spoofs of famous people, some of whom I can't really imagine starting a family IRL, but since this is the sims and I want generations to come and go, I was wondering if a happy sim not in red aspiration would ever decide to settle down and roll a marriage want even if they're like popularity or something, or if that's something I'm gonna have to force them to do so
Alchemist
#26480 Old 7th Mar 2021 at 6:30 PM
Peni Griffin and Justpetro just answered that question a page back, sugoisama:
Quote: Originally posted by Peni Griffin
Fortune sims tend to roll a Have Baby want shortly after getting married, and other aspirations will occasionally roll it at random, though I don't think I've ever seen a Pleasure or Romance sim roll it in the absence of a secondary aspiration. I never pay attention to how much a want is worth unless aspiration is extremely low, sorry.

Quote: Originally posted by Justpetro
As I like to play big hoods and send my sims to community lots all the time, I do believe the way one plays has an influence on the wants rolled. It probably has to do with personality as well. Example : I often see sims rolling the want to have a baby after they have talked to children on a community lot; despite the aspiration, although romance sims do not, but pleasure sims do - and they love playing with children, so I guess it makes sense in a way. It also seems as if sims of any aspiration, after attending a good house party or outing, will then want to throw their own party or outing

Though I have to say that I can't recall a time when my Romance or Pleasure sims rolled wants for a baby. I'll have to try having them interact with kids; I've never done that.

As for getting married, every aspiration does that if you've got NL. The date coding is that strong. Occasionally, Romance and Pleasure sims roll the get married/engaged wants again after a date--those are usually the ones I pay attention to. It's not the generic Get Married want, but a want to get engaged or married to a specific person. Sometimes it pops up after multiple dates with a sim, or after dates with a different sim. Again, I pay attention to that and see it as the sim telling me which partner they prefer.

As for wants that roll during dates, I often view those wants as sims getting caught up in the romance and wanting to make rash decisions, which might be useful for a hood full of celebrities. You might make rules around when to ignore them and when to fulfill them, like if they roll the want more than once or, if you see it, you do a roll based on the sims' playful points. So a sim with 6 playful points rolls a want to get engaged on a date; you roll 1-10 or 1-100 and 1-6 or 1-60 means they do it, etc. You can add in other factors of a sim's personality, too.

Anyway, I wouldn't worry about your Popularity sims. Eventually they'll probably roll a want to get married. It's the Romance and Pleasure sims you gotta look out for, imo. For deciding whether Pleasure and Romance sims have kids, you might need to say just one sim in a couple needs to roll a want, or maybe one want equals adoption, but if both sims in the couple want a kid, they can conceive, etc. There's lots of ways you can interpret the wants.

"Thinking of you, wherever you are. We pray for our sorrows to end, and hope that our hearts will blend." - Kingdom Hearts

XPTL Mod Archive | Change a Mod's Mesh into a CC Object | Increasing the Game Difficulty | Editing ACR 4 Your Age Mod
aka Kelyns | she/her
Mad Poster
#26481 Old 7th Mar 2021 at 6:57 PM
One thing that happens increasingly as Romance and Pleasure sims get older is, that they'll start rolling lots of engagement and even marriage wants while on dates - with other sims! One rule I like to apply is, if such a sim rolls the want for the current date, without a matching fear of getting engaged to that sim, pop goes the question. It is then down to those sims to make it work, or not. Engagements, after all, can be broken.

The other common context in which I see engagement wants from Romance sims is, in a date with someone new who is moving slower on the romantic wants than the Romance sim is. I interpret that as "Oh, she wants a ring before she does that? I can get a ring!" This is an especially likely interpretation in the case of sims with short attention spans and lack of regard for consequences. College-aged, inexperienced sims may also be idealizing and conflating romantic love and woohoo (to be fair, in a way that, in the absence of mods, makes more sense for sims than for humans), and assuming that their current feeling is permanent and The Real Thing, that this person is The One. Again, engagements can be broken! Getting engaged, getting married, and having a long and happy marriage are three different things.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Mad Poster
#26482 Old 7th Mar 2021 at 8:09 PM
Quote: Originally posted by sugoisama
In y'all's experience (with or without wfsanity), do sims with no family or fortune aspirations ever roll wants to get married or have kids? My hood's gonna be mostly spoofs of famous people, some of whom I can't really imagine starting a family IRL, but since this is the sims and I want generations to come and go, I was wondering if a happy sim not in red aspiration would ever decide to settle down and roll a marriage want even if they're like popularity or something, or if that's something I'm gonna have to force them to do so

In my experience only romance sims don't roll wants for engagement and marriage later. When they are in love with each other this want pops up for all but romance sims. Though popularity and pleasure sims doesn't roll baby wants even if married.
Field Researcher
#26483 Old 7th Mar 2021 at 10:16 PM
Would having 10 Plant children fulfil the the lifetime want have 10 kids want or not? I'm using the mod that would allow the Plantbabies grow into children.

Prince Avalanche
Alchemist
#26484 Old 7th Mar 2021 at 10:49 PM
It should fulfill the want, but, fyi, the Have 10 kids want is a regular want, not a LTW.

ETA: I don't think them growing into kids matters, either. It's about how many children the sim has. I believe adoption, having a baby (alien or normal), and spawning a plantbaby all count.

"Thinking of you, wherever you are. We pray for our sorrows to end, and hope that our hearts will blend." - Kingdom Hearts

XPTL Mod Archive | Change a Mod's Mesh into a CC Object | Increasing the Game Difficulty | Editing ACR 4 Your Age Mod
aka Kelyns | she/her
Instructor
#26485 Old 7th Mar 2021 at 11:45 PM
What's a good amount of tables for a restaurant?
Since my megahood doesn't have a downtown I want to build my own restaurant, but I don't know how many tables is a good amount so that it doesn't look super empty, or that there wouldn't be enough.
Mad Poster
#26486 Old 8th Mar 2021 at 12:09 AM
Quote: Originally posted by CASnarl
Since my megahood doesn't have a downtown I want to build my own restaurant, but I don't know how many tables is a good amount so that it doesn't look super empty, or that there wouldn't be enough.

It depends how many waiters you want spawn. One waiter works 7 tables, if you have 8 tables the game will spawn 2 waiters. 7 tables seems to be a cozy small resaurant.
Field Researcher
#26487 Old 8th Mar 2021 at 2:10 AM
Quote: Originally posted by BlueAlien
Thanks, Annaminna!

@trambling101 - I've just had a Knowledge couple roll the Have a Baby want (good thing too, since she was already in her third trimester!), and the reward was 5,000 aspiration points for both of them.

Did you get a picture by any chance? Would help me greatly!!!

Call me Seth!
Forum Resident
#26488 Old 8th Mar 2021 at 5:15 AM
Quote: Originally posted by CASnarl

I think it depends on the space too, like, if the seats are literally back-to-back then there's not even a need for seven tables. I'd say you should place them in a way that there are two tiles of free space on all sides including chairs, that's the amount of minimum hallway the prima guide recommends to minimize routing errors.
Mad Poster
#26489 Old 8th Mar 2021 at 6:53 AM
Quote: Originally posted by trambling101
Did you get a picture by any chance? Would help me greatly!!!

Knowledge sims in my hood roll the having a baby want frequently, normally just after getting married, but also at times after having interacted with the children of relatives.
Mad Poster
#26490 Old 8th Mar 2021 at 7:42 AM
Quote: Originally posted by ClaudetteCorleone
Could you link the specific download? I'll try to see if it happens to me too.

It's these two.

https://www.simfileshare.net/download/693035/
https://www.simfileshare.net/download/1154172/
Lab Assistant
#26491 Old 8th Mar 2021 at 12:07 PM Last edited by ClaudetteCorleone : 8th Mar 2021 at 12:46 PM.
^ Mona top shows up for me, it's TF but the Dua Sweater does not. I don't know why, I tried messing with the files in Milkshape & SimPE nothing worked. I'll probably edit this post if I find something new.

Mad Poster
#26492 Old 8th Mar 2021 at 12:40 PM Last edited by simmer22 : 8th Mar 2021 at 3:36 PM.
^ The Dua sweater looks like the recolor files are Project Package files (picked from the creator's Project folder instead from their SavedSims folder after they were done recoloring), so they wouldn't show up.

The sweaters would show for the creator as long as the "import to game" files were in the SavedSims folder (which is why the files work for them), so that's how they get pictures (in case anyone wonders). The project files don't work for anyone, not even the creator.

Project files are easy to diagnose - they lack the "Text" and "Binary" resources, and the 3DIR lacks references to these (possibly a few other things, but you can spot the lack of the two first resources instantly).

The easiest way to fix the files is to extract the textures, make one working recolor file that's set up the same way as the not-working Project files (this one has Top + Noblend, you can probabably find a top like that, make a recolor, and link this to the mesh, then swap out the recolors), and then make new recolors with the old textures.

---

If there is a random code something like this "5f4a82d7_" in front of the filename, you can be fairly sure the files will work, because then they've been taken directly from SavedSims and not renamed. But Bodyshop files can be renamed, so just because they don't have the code doesn't mean they won't work.

If they don't have that code but have a short and random name and don't work, it's likely they're a Project Package file. There is a character limit for the project filenames in Bodyshop, I think it's 15 or 16 characters (minus code). Any longer than this and it's renamed for sure.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#26493 Old 8th Mar 2021 at 1:56 PM
I downloaded some recolours recently that were project files, which download is this? The one I downloaded was a Veranka pants and top mesh. Not hard to fix by making new recolour packages and using the texture from the project files, but extra work.
Edit: Sounds like a different upload. Otherwise, I would have shared my fixed files.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#26494 Old 8th Mar 2021 at 4:30 PM
Hmm don't know why the Mona top isn't showing up for me then.

Thanks, both of you. I'll have a go at fixing the Dua sweater.
Mad Poster
#26495 Old 8th Mar 2021 at 5:31 PM
^ It should show, but it could have some skin errors. The "Noblend" layer isn't actually set as a "noblend" - in the cMaterialDefinition tab the "Noblend" TXMTs should be set to "SimStandardMaterial" and not "SimSkin". The "Top" TXMTs are fine, though.

If "Noblend" type layers are set to "SimSkin" the textures could be overlaying the skin and creating a different look on the outfit, especially on 3t2 and 4t2 outfits. If settings are wrong elsewhere in the outfit, it can potentially bleed over to other outfits.

Also, the bump maps are white instead of grey, which could cause some strange issues if normal maps are enabled in your game (best way to get rid of that is to delete the normal map references, or switch it out for a 50% grey texture).
Field Researcher
#26496 Old 8th Mar 2021 at 5:40 PM
Question about installing CEP - I have done this and it works in my main Sims game.

I have recently loaded up a second load (As in, in my Documents files, I have The Sims 2 and The Sims 2_progress, which I can switch between).

What do I need to do - if anything - for CEP to also work properly in Progress? Are there any files that go in Downloads, etc?

Thank you
Mad Poster
#26497 Old 8th Mar 2021 at 7:19 PM
I do have one in Downloads: "_EnableColorOptionsGMND.package" I think there are exact instructions for CEP where to install the files. I usually only need this one to move ahead.
Alchemist
#26498 Old 9th Mar 2021 at 6:02 AM
There's also a folder outside of Downloads, directly in your The Sims 2 folder: "zCEP-EXTRA". Copy that into your other TS2 folder.

aka Kelyns | she/her
Mad Poster
#26499 Old 9th Mar 2021 at 10:59 AM
Quote: Originally posted by simmer22
^ It should show, but it could have some skin errors. The "Noblend" layer isn't actually set as a "noblend" - in the cMaterialDefinition tab the "Noblend" TXMTs should be set to "SimStandardMaterial" and not "SimSkin". The "Top" TXMTs are fine, though.

If "Noblend" type layers are set to "SimSkin" the textures could be overlaying the skin and creating a different look on the outfit, especially on 3t2 and 4t2 outfits. If settings are wrong elsewhere in the outfit, it can potentially bleed over to other outfits.

Also, the bump maps are white instead of grey, which could cause some strange issues if normal maps are enabled in your game (best way to get rid of that is to delete the normal map references, or switch it out for a 50% grey texture).

I mixed up the tops. The Mona top is fine. It was the Olivia top that didn't show up and it has the same problem as the Dua sweater. XD
Top Secret Researcher
#26500 Old 9th Mar 2021 at 1:41 PM
A week ago or so I saw a question mark symbol under this thread (or random thoughts, don't remember). I'd never seen it before, what does it mean? Does it mean someone asked a question? A "duh" moment in that case ...

Omnia - Fantasy / Mythological / Medieval Hood
Ephemera MoreColorful - SimpleSkin Recolors
Page 1060 of 1347