Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Forum Resident
#3501 Old 5th Jun 2020 at 3:35 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Diovanlestat
Well thank you for your answer, so helpful and kind. You don't have any specs to offer me that might help me with my troubles, if you don't mind me troubling you.

My system is a 9-year old HP 580 tower with 16GB of RAM on Windows 7 and using an NVIDIA GeForce GT 440 graphics card with 4GB memory running dual 22 inch monitors. I'm running the UC with graphics settings at max.

That's probably not a lot of help for people running on laptops or notebooks now but performance can be one of the trade-offs between running TS2 on desktops and laptops/notebooks.

All of my Conversions, Creations and Stories may be found here:
HobbesED's Conversions and Creations

My most recently shared items (with pictures) may also be found here:
HobbesED's Dreamwidth

Advertisement
Theorist
#3502 Old 5th Jun 2020 at 3:49 PM
Yeah I switched to a desktop computer a few years ago after years and years of laptops and...I'd never go back to laptops; desktops provide more processing power, and better graphics for less money, last far, far longer,a re easier to repair.

And in cases were I have to take a computer along somewhere I have a little Huawei tablet that serves that role perfectly.

Taking an extended break from Sims stuff. Might be around, might not.
Mad Poster
#3503 Old 5th Jun 2020 at 4:00 PM
Laptops make me uneasy anyways. Practically no airflow and all the components crammed so tightly together seems like an overheating disaster waiting to happen.

I'm secretly a Bulbasaur. | Formerly known as ihatemandatoryregister

Looking for SimWardrobe's mods? | Or Dizzy's? | Faiuwle/rufio's too! | smorbie1's Chris Hatch archives
Mad Poster
#3504 Old 5th Jun 2020 at 4:19 PM
Not to mention, a backache waiting to happen. Those keyboards are so tiny! I know a lot of people can only afford one computer and need to be able to take it with them; but ideally it seems to me that a laptop should a supplemental thing. A desktop can better handle resource-intensive programs like games, and is much better adapted to long-term work without damaging yourself.

We all have to cope with whatever limitations our lives impose on us, alas, and set our own priorities for how we use the resources we have within those limitations. The important thing is to be realistic and adjust our expectations to our circumstances.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Mad Poster
#3505 Old 5th Jun 2020 at 8:30 PM
The reason I use a laptop rather than a desktop is that we are 5 people somehow shoved into a 2-bedroom apartment, and I do not have room for another desk.
Inventor
#3506 Old 5th Jun 2020 at 8:37 PM
While I still enjoy my desktop I really only use it to play sims 2 nowadays, I hardly play minecraft and sims 3 anymore. I tend to slouch in my seat which leads to my back tightening up, and my legs get numb after a few hours. I've resorted to using an old pillow to help take the strain off, but I'll more than likely get an average gaming laptop within the next year or two just for sims 2 and give this desktop to my mom. Obviously having a desktop gives you the advantage, but I miss playing sims on my bed

what_makes_you_haha.mp3
SFS uploads
Forum Resident
#3507 Old 5th Jun 2020 at 10:21 PM
Quote: Originally posted by HobbesED
My system is a 9-year old HP 580 tower with 16GB of RAM on Windows 7 and using an NVIDIA GeForce GT 440 graphics card with 4GB memory running dual 22 inch monitors. I'm running the UC with graphics settings at max.

That's probably not a lot of help for people running on laptops or notebooks now but performance can be one of the trade-offs between running TS2 on desktops and laptops/notebooks.

Thank you, that helps. I got so used to using this, that I forgot it's my laptop and not a desktop. I needed to be mobile when caring for my dying mother, and it's useful now when I have to visit my elderly father. I used to encourage them to use computers for entertainment, and my dad at 85 has become quite good. It's also good for extended hospital admissions when the Sims becomes very necessary for me. But I forgot laptops, no matter how expensive will of course have drawbacks, and this one now is pretty old.
Lab Assistant
#3508 Old 6th Jun 2020 at 2:14 AM
"Why does he need to go to work right now?, he just gave birth for goodness sake."
The carpool literally just came after Phil gave birth to a son called Mars.
Forum Resident
#3509 Old 6th Jun 2020 at 3:40 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Diovanlestat
Thank you, that helps. I got so used to using this, that I forgot it's my laptop and not a desktop. I needed to be mobile when caring for my dying mother, and it's useful now when I have to visit my elderly father. I used to encourage them to use computers for entertainment, and my dad at 85 has become quite good. It's also good for extended hospital admissions when the Sims becomes very necessary for me. But I forgot laptops, no matter how expensive will of course have drawbacks, and this one now is pretty old.

I understand... The company I worked for back then provided me with a laptop so I decided I could go all in on a nice desktop for me at home. That's how I ended up with what I have after upgrading it over the years. And if I needed to be mobile on the laptop, there was always solitaire. (And MS actually included a free pinball game on whatever OS it was back then which passed the time since we couldn't put any non-company-provided software on their laptop without clearing it with IT Security first).

All of my Conversions, Creations and Stories may be found here:
HobbesED's Conversions and Creations

My most recently shared items (with pictures) may also be found here:
HobbesED's Dreamwidth

Inventor
#3510 Old 6th Jun 2020 at 4:21 AM
Quote: Originally posted by HobbesED
(And MS actually included a free pinball game on whatever OS it was back then which passed the time)

Do you mean Space Cadet? I loved that game as a little little kid

what_makes_you_haha.mp3
SFS uploads
Test Subject
#3511 Old 6th Jun 2020 at 5:28 AM
There are mods to remove that irrational kiss hello/goodbye thing.[/QUOTE]

Thanks! I find it hilariously random though, so I will probably leave that in :D
Mad Poster
#3512 Old 6th Jun 2020 at 4:17 PM
"Ugh Family Sims. You are too old to have a child. You are going to have to raise the toddler you are holding through most of elderhood anyway."
A Family Sim 5 days away from elder rolled a want for a baby. I forget when the pregnancy cut off is, but as I said she has a toddler that just aged up to toddler that she and her husband will be a child and teen while they are elders.
Scholar
#3513 Old 6th Jun 2020 at 5:06 PM
Five days to Elder is the last day a Sim can conceive, as Calista Dietrich recently found out the hard way (I have Inteen, so oopsies happen). One more day and she'd have been safe!

There seems to be a trigger for the Baby Want at that point, because I see a lot of Sims rolling it then, not just Family Sims. Calista wasn't one of them, and neither was her husband.
Mad Poster
#3514 Old 6th Jun 2020 at 7:59 PM
Since it's relevant and some people might not have heard of it yet (it's still relatively new), here's a link to Midge the Tree's Young Enough For Pregnancy Fix: https://midgethetree.tumblr.com/pos...r-pregnancy-fix
Mad Poster
#3515 Old 6th Jun 2020 at 9:46 PM
Eli,Why are you rolling a wish for a baby now?You've only just moved in last year and are still working on getting your main home built.
I've had sims roll wants for babies at crazy time like when they just arrived in town and are dirt poor.I just tell them they'll have to wait on that baby until they've gotten well settled into the town and have saved up quite a bit of money.
Mad Poster
#3516 Old 7th Jun 2020 at 3:21 AM
"I'm tired of the game giving girls the same hair, should I try to find hairstyles similar to the characters I named them after?"

The game seems to like to give every single girl born in game the base game hair Angela and Lilith Pleasant have. Two of my child age girls are about to age into teenagers and I'm thinking about giving them different hair styles. I named two after characters in other video games, but I'm not sure if I could find hairstyles to the characters they are named after.
Field Researcher
#3517 Old 7th Jun 2020 at 10:24 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Orilon
"I'm tired of the game giving girls the same hair, should I try to find hairstyles similar to the characters I named them after?"

The game seems to like to give every single girl born in game the base game hair Angela and Lilith Pleasant have. Two of my child age girls are about to age into teenagers and I'm thinking about giving them different hair styles. I named two after characters in other video games, but I'm not sure if I could find hairstyles to the characters they are named after.

Yeah, I call that hairstyle the Marsha Bruenig. About 90% of my girls grow up into it. I always change it right away.
Field Researcher
#3518 Old 7th Jun 2020 at 10:33 AM
"Oh oh... Busted!"
Dirk didn't have something else to do on a Sunday around noon and he booty-called Lilith. When he was greeting her outside on the pavement, Daniel walked by! I waited for a reaction but it never came. He just watched Lilith kiss Dirk for a moment and then he walked away shaking his head. I don't even know how to interpret that

"Are you clueless? Do you want to wake up the... beast?"
On the same day, Dirk and Lilith had their first woohoo (on Darren's bed!) and then Dirk had to leave for work. Lilith stayed and she started to play Darts. Soon enough Darren joined her and for a while they were playing and radomly talking. That changed the moment Darren started to talk about memories of "growing up well" and "potty trainning". That was Lilith's trigger to get mad and their happy conversation turned to red (-) in no time at all!

"Lucky girl... You found a boy who can chase away your inner demons!"
Dirk came home to find Lilith still arguing with Darren. He hugged her and he took her to his dad's bed again! I don't know if he wanted to take her away from the argument or he was just h***y again but it worked
Later on, Darren went to cook and the three of them had dinner and it was like the argument never happenned!
Forum Resident
#3519 Old 8th Jun 2020 at 5:08 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Aysarth
Yeah, I call that hairstyle the Marsha Bruenig. About 90% of my girls grow up into it. I always change it right away.

I mind that waaaaay less than how all female babies acquire that female toddler bob. I'm always changing their hair to short, see-through, or bald as a result because I just cannot stand that bob cut any more. I actually like the Marsha Bruenig style on some of my female sims but maybe I would hate it if all girls always acquired that particular style.

Imma go look at the defaults database now to see if there's a good DR replacement for the bob.

Edited to add: Nope, nothing good. (I was hoping for a not-bob replacement.)
Top Secret Researcher
#3520 Old 8th Jun 2020 at 6:17 AM
Quote: Originally posted by SIMposiast
I mind that waaaaay less than how all female babies acquire that female toddler bob. I'm always changing their hair to short, see-through, or bald as a result because I just cannot stand that bob cut any more. I actually like the Marsha Bruenig style on some of my female sims but maybe I would hate it if all girls always acquired that particular style.

Imma go look at the defaults database now to see if there's a good DR replacement for the bob.

Edited to add: Nope, nothing good. (I was hoping for a not-bob replacement.)

Yeah the defaults database is pretty hopeless for toddler hair. I went there just recently as all my baby boys grow to toddler with the fuzzy cut which I'm sick of.
Mad Poster
#3521 Old 8th Jun 2020 at 11:09 PM
"How do they know?"
The cat became an elder and all the sims in the household rolled fears of her dying. According to the days left shrub she has about 7 days as an elder before she dies of old age. The Sims have around 20 days.

"You are too old to have children."
A Family Sim had two days left before becoming an elder and she had a want to have a baby.

"He's two days away so it shouldn't matter."
The husband and wife are the same age, so the fact that he was 2 days away from elder meant that if he got abducted by aliens he wouldn't come back pregnant. He didn't get abducted.
Mad Poster
#3522 Old 9th Jun 2020 at 2:21 AM
"That is a bad life choice Brandi, but it'll be interesting for me."

Woohoo three sims and have ten babies rolled up simultaneously.

Pics from my game: Sunbee's Simblr Sunbee's Livejournal
"English is a marvelous edged weapon if you know how to wield it." C.J. Cherryh
Test Subject
#3523 Old 10th Jun 2020 at 2:21 AM
You have 10 kids, you're 3 days from turning into an elder, and you want another kid!!
Scholar
#3524 Old 10th Jun 2020 at 3:37 PM
"Look, guys, I know you're in lockdown and the money's a bit tight, but you still have to pay the rent."

Everybody had enough saved up to pay, but for some reason the 'pay the rent' action kept falling out of the queue, in several different households. There must have been a rent strike I didn't know about.
#3525 Old 10th Jun 2020 at 4:33 PM
Quote: Originally posted by BlueAlien
"Look, guys, I know you're in lockdown and the money's a bit tight, but you still have to pay the rent."

Everybody had enough saved up to pay, but for some reason the 'pay the rent' action kept falling out of the queue, in several different households. There must have been a rent strike I didn't know about.

Sounds pretty accurate. My dad is the landlord for a two-family house. Because of the quarantine and lots of people losing their jobs, NJ allowed people to not pay their rent. I wish PA did the same - I am still paying rent for my apartment in Philadelphia even though my classes are online. I moved back in with my parents (which I am very lucky to be able to do so) since the area of Philly I live in is a food desert and most takeout places closed. Also there's a 6 PM curfew and I walk my dogs at 6 and 10 PM - don't want my pups to get hurt. I don't get rent forgiveness, but I am definitely canceling "Pay Rent" in my queue until I can work again. Funny how the Sims can be a perfect breather from reality but also relate to our lives so much.
Page 141 of 167