Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Theorist
Original Poster
#1 Old 12th Sep 2020 at 11:58 PM
Default Object limit victim?
I lately stumbled upon two interesting threads saying that crashing issues were possibly due to an object limit: here and here.
Those make me thinking.
IMO I have a decent desktop I built myself back in 2017-2018 ( W8.1 I7-6700K @4Ghz, Nvidia1070 6 GB and 16 GB of RAM). I did everything to prevent the game from crashing. Several 50/50 lead to nothing.
I currently have around 5GB of CC and I took out many of my CC outfits (almost 1Gb).
I just did a GUID scanner 22 838 files, 3110 of them being objects and 51 are duplicate GUID.

What do you think?
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 13th Sep 2020 at 12:30 AM Last edited by simmer22 : 13th Sep 2020 at 3:22 PM.
The limit does seem to be roughly at 10.000 unique GUIDs, give or take (including EAxis? not sure) for those who seem to have hit it, for objects/careers/food/etc. Some items count several times because they have several GUIDs, others count only once even if they have several (cars?). Mods with OBJDs counted, so object recategorizers and a mod for objects you could dig up as treasures (this one was a heavy hitter).

No CAS content counts toward the limit it seems, so in theory you can have as much CAS content as your game can handle.

I have a similar-ish setup for a laptop, and it's crash-prone like you wouldn't believe, but I've slowly nudged it into becoming more stable (still working on the CC situation, though). But my 30+ GB CC folder was nothing for the old 2009 computer I had before this, and it happily trudged along without crashing (well, extremely rarely - having to quit because of pink-flashing was more common). I don't think I reached the object limit (I probably had more CAS content) - but it's pretty much the same same folder with the same content, so I don't think it's the object limit that makes this laptop crash. I've also pruned this folder pretty heavy, including removing a lot of bad filenames, lots of old files, you name it... :/. It does seem Windows 8 and 10 may be a bit less stable in the memory section, and a bit more crash-prone when it comes to TS2.

Crashing issues can come from memory overload. You've probably done 4GB and GraphicRules and all that? If you haven't, do so. It helps a lot. Editing virtual memory can potentially help a bit for Windows 10, possibly for 8? (it's often set low, it's part of why it crashes and why texture memory is bad). The memory allocation fix can possibly work (I didn't notice much of a difference, though).
https://modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=610641 - the fixes I've mentioned, in case you haven't done them
https://modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=633003 - potential other fix, not quite compatible with the others.

Sometimes you have to be very spesific with 50/50 searches, because it can be something that's hiding out in multiple places. The firealarm in a TSR set kept crashing my game for an untold length of time (which is weird, because it seems to be working fine for other people since they're using it in their builds). Certain downloaded lots (especially schools and official-kind of buildings) and small electronics in buy mode sent my game into an instant crash. After too long I did a 50-50, removed all instances of this firealarm (had 3-4 at least, from various lots and one I'd downloaded on the side), and I don't think I had a crash since (that I remember, anyway - I know I still have some iffy clothing items hiding out, but I've avoided clicking anything with iffy thumbs and I'm now in the process of weeding those iffy items out, but it's taking a while).
Mad Poster
#3 Old 13th Sep 2020 at 1:46 AM Last edited by sushigal007 : 13th Sep 2020 at 10:44 AM.
The problem with the object limit is that I still can't be 100% sure it's real because nobody has ever officially confirmed it, or even anyone who knows what they're doing with this game. I am 99.9% sure though. And based on my own experiences with it, I can be sure that it is completely unaffected by any Bodyshop content, so if removing that helps, it's not an object limit problem - and tbh, it doesn't sound like you have nearly enough objects for that the be the culprit anyway. There are many other reasons why objects could crash the game. They could require EPs you don't have. They could conflict with other objects, including duplicates of the same object. They could just simply be buggy - I had a rug that crashed my game when I entered one single lot for no obvious reason.

But if you do suspect the object limit, the best way I've found to test it is to slowly add objects into your game until it crashes, then take out the last thing added and try something else. If nothing beyond that point works, take something else out and try again, and if you can only add new things by taking old things out, you may have hit a lower object limit.
Theorist
Original Poster
#4 Old 13th Sep 2020 at 11:47 AM
@simmer22
Quote:
Crashing issues can come from memory overload. You've probably done 4GB and GraphicRules and all that?

Yes, I did. I'm encountering less crashing than a few months ago.
I miss the days when my TS2 game was running beautifully with XP, 2GB of RAM and an ATI 1950.
Out of despair, I tried the tips on the second thread you linked to at the time. I don't think it's relevant in my case since I'm running TS2 on a W8.1 64-bits machine.

@sushigal
Well random crashing is so frustrating. I wish we had a tool telling us "TS2 crashed because of...".

Thank you both of you for your inputs.
Mad Poster
#5 Old 13th Sep 2020 at 2:50 PM
I had one CC object that when installed would crash my game on loading though I've removed it and ended up adding tons more objects since then to my already massive buy mode CC load and had no crashing or flashing at all.My game just runs smoothly with the tons or other extra CC installed as if I had not added anything.I sometimes think my computer dosen't even know there should be a Mod or CC limit on the game.I've never added any 4GB patch or done anything major to make the game work better and that's what I've got just from installing it and setting my computer to gaming mode with a free program I found to enable that.
Forum Resident
#6 Old 16th Sep 2020 at 4:23 PM
I play with around 50GB of cc - but the main culprits for my object limit issues are:

My enormous 300+ file food folder
My large car/vehicle folder of around 200 items
and my gargantuin Build/BuyMode folder which has over 2000 build mode objects.

The object data is most definitely where things get squirrelly. RAM does actually help with this, but the way objects are made is apparently a bigger contributing factor. I wound up with 32 GB of RAM, which has enabled me to play with pretty much everything I want, but it would be nice if there was a way to reduce the GUIDs/OBJD data for various things using SimPE or some such.

I don't really *need* anything else to play my fully integrated hood, but I *want* certain things. Mostly the freedom to download whatever the heck I want and drop it into my game. If people have other solutions, I'd love to hear about them here.
Alchemist
#7 Old 16th Sep 2020 at 11:48 PM
Quote: Originally posted by terula8
The object data is most definitely where things get squirrelly. RAM does actually help with this, but the way objects are made is apparently a bigger contributing factor. I wound up with 32 GB of RAM, which has enabled me to play with pretty much everything I want, but it would be nice if there was a way to reduce the GUIDs/OBJD data for various things using SimPE or some such.

There is a way, but it's not something to try unless you know what you're doing. It's time consuming and it will crash your game and/or break your CC if you do it wrong. What would be best is for the modders who are still around to update their CC as time permits. That's my plan, anyway.
Mad Poster
#8 Old 17th Sep 2020 at 12:01 AM
I know there's the whole footprint VS GUIDs/OBJDs thing, if that's what you mean - which could be a potential culprit for the object limit.

I never saw that one as a big problem for when I'm tinkering with items, as I never bother with multi-tile when making decorations, because I usually make one-tile objects (footprints are such a bother - I mean, they're probably very handy when you're playing or making interactable objects, but when you're just making deco items for storytelling, sims aren't going to interact with those anyway, so why bother? Plus, they're easier to deal with and easier to place - once you've sorted out the shelving issues, that is... They're not so easy when they keep popping into slots they're not supposed to be in. But otherwise they're fine, and you have a few extra options for OMSPs and such, which is nice - never know when you have to place a deco car on an OMSP, and that's definitely a bother when they're a multi-tile item...).

Of course, it is nice with a working footprint for interactable objects. It's not so fun when sims keep walking through the objects as if they're invisible. I can also see why it's nice to have them for larger deco objects (the kind you're less likely to put on an OMSP, anyway - not entirely sure if footprints without extra GUIDs block OMSP use?). Come to think of it, I probably should learn how to edit footprints. Could probably come in handy...
Alchemist
#9 Old 17th Sep 2020 at 1:59 AM Last edited by omglo : 17th Sep 2020 at 2:22 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by simmer22
I know there's the whole footprint VS GUIDs/OBJDs thing, if that's what you mean - which could be a potential culprit for the object limit.
Yes, that's what I mean. Most of us learned to extend the footprint by adding multiple GUIDS, but the game sees every square with its own GUID as a separate object. And some multi-tile objects need to be made that way, but a bunch of others do not. Multi-tile objects that only have a single GUID can snap into slots, but the positioning probably won't be ideal (and it can't be changed, since there's only one "active" square that's snappable.

I can see why someone who didn't actually play wouldn't bother extending the footprint.

https://janes-finds.tumblr.com/post...replied-to-your - this is a comprehensive tutorial on footprints and the different ways to extend them.
Mad Poster
#10 Old 17th Sep 2020 at 1:19 PM
That sounds a bit complicated. Lots of steps there (BHAVs, coordinates, ugh...). Can you add a custom footprint for one object, clone that object, and basically just edit the footprint for the next one (assuming they're approximately the same size)? Because otherwise that would be a whole lot of work for a set of items. I do know a few of my old items that could perhaps benefit from having footprints, though...
Alchemist
#11 Old 17th Sep 2020 at 2:40 PM
Yeah, it's tedious. I wish I knew how to mod SimPE, because CRES editing is way more cumbersome than it has to be.

Do you mean, for example, extend the footprint to four tiles on one object, then clone it and switch the meshes, so the new object is also four tiles? Yeah, that's possible.
Forum Resident
#12 Old 17th Sep 2020 at 4:35 PM
Quote: Originally posted by omglo
There is a way, but it's not something to try unless you know what you're doing. It's time-consuming and it will crash your game and/or break your CC if you do it wrong. What would be best is for the modders who are still around to update their CC as time permits. That's my plan, anyway.

<deep sigh> yeah, I thought it would be something like that. The most complex modding I've ever done involved editing the ACR fertility decay settings in the main controller to make it work with my custom age mod.

I've made small things, in short, but I'm not a modder. I added a few things last weekend to my downloads folder and had a crash, which these days I just assume is my object limit. It might not be, but it's frustrating. I'll pare down what I can - and I've gotten good about getting rid of things I don't use, but it's a royal pain in the rear when I've collected so much over the years that makes my game feel just right.
Me? Sarcastic? Never.
staff: administrator
#13 Old 17th Sep 2020 at 7:52 PM
Quote: Originally posted by simmer22
Can you add a custom footprint for one object, clone that object, and basically just edit the footprint for the next one (assuming they're approximately the same size)?
I've been trying to find time to create templates for creators to use that have set footprints via the cres, and not the OBJDs.  Because not everyone knows how to extend it via the cres, or don't want to take the time.