Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 4th May 2014 at 12:46 PM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 3, World Adventures, Ambitions, Late Night, Generations, Pets, Showtime, Supernatural, Seasons, University Life, Island Paradise, Into the Future
Downloaded sims3store items giving issues after update.

As you can see, this is my first post, although I've been a member for a few years already. Usually the wiki's FAQ game help sections help me fix problems with my game, however I have not come across this one, and believe me, I've tried. I have followed ALL the advise to fix game problems 3 times over the last week. I've done the absolute clean install, you name it and point to that wiki, I've done it, literally, three times. Other things I've tried, Delphy's programs, the package extractor (with disastrous results (Not his program's fault) CMagic Custard S3PE (not that I know what to do with that program I am no programmer and that all looks rather confusing and I don't know what all those things mean, soooo, just don't mess with it, you know?). The thing is, none of those things are helping, because the problem is not the mods, although my CC are now all nice and sorted and clean, neat and tidy with absolutely zero issues. Warning, if you don't like essays then don't read this, it's apparently a fault of mine, I'm nittygritty about details, I can't help it, hence I never make posts to start with, easier to just not start, than to after setting up the whole thing you wanted to say and trying to summarise it repeatedly, end up not happy because it's lacking in details and ending up just not posting, hours wasted! Now you also know why I'm a years long member and this is my first post.

Maybe I should have posted the actual problem first, I guess I just wanted to answer whether or not I looked for help and followed the tips first, so everybody knows from scratch, yes I have, three times and the same thing keeps happening. So here's the problem; Last weekend we got supernatural and into the future as early birthday prezzies Yay! I installed them, naturally it wanted to update (I was still on the first superpatch), so I did that. Everything seemed to go fine, started to play as a first run, at this point my CC and downloads were still outside of the game, as we know before updates etc remove CC. Anyway, so I was expecting the missing deps and for that reason created a test land to play, in order to not break my own game. Everything seemed fine at that point. So reboot again, put the CC and sims3pack downloads back (last was effectively re-enable), run the game. But some of the stuff is missing deps, including stuff that usually shows up in buy mode as an extra option/catagory which you usually get with a bonus registration of your game. Exit the game, open up the launcher, and find every single item that came from the sims3store, is suddenly showing as installed. Try to re-install them, but get the error message that I need to update my game. Okay, I thought It was, but go back, update, it did 7 1MB updates and told me my game is up to date, try to re-install them again, but get the same message. Ok, maybe it has something to do with the superpatch I used, I know it updated my game to 1.63, but for some reason it is now showing as 1.62, no idea how that can happen, so maybe I just did this all wrong. My game is still backed up so, uninstall the whole lot, using CCleaner the works doing the manual removal of left over files as well and checking the registry for left over files. Ok, there is nothing left. Go to modthesims download the latest superpatch. Going to do this right this time. Follow the instruction to the letter for installation. Everything goes fine. Run the game after the last installation, it's all fine, double check that I'm up to date, put the cc and downloads back, install downloads again obviously with no issues and funky messages, run the game, all is fine. Reboot. Go back into the game, and again sims3pack files (ONLY THOSE FROM THE OFFICIAL STORE) gone. Exit open the launcher find them all showing as uninstalled, try to re-install and get the same error message about updating. I don't get it, all these worked on the previous superpatch, why do they suddenly need the game updated? They're not new. Check again for updates, nothing. modthesims says could be EADM / origin. Download the latest origin clean install. with absolutely zero change to the problem. Ok, maybe it's EADM then, while I don't recall installing it, I also don't recall and option to deselect either, so I guess it's possible. Start from scratch, 3rd time, this time make sure NOT to install EADM or origin, after all are installed run the game, exit install latest origin, run the game, again, like before, put the cc back all is fine, reboot, all the sims3store (again only those) gone, and again same error message.

I'm at a loss, I don't know what to do I have tried everything I could find. It's not a mod creating the problem, because it happens before I even put them back, the third time I didn't put the mods and downloads back at the same time, first the downloads, for a day everything was fine. then poof, again, they just up and disappear. I guess it could be a mod, which is why I used all those tools to try and find the problem, I don't have any buggy items. Yesterday I spent hours upon hours until 4AM trying to just extract them with the multipackextractor, thinking I could get them in the game that way, but apparently doing it that way my game just never stops loading. Bypassing the launcher first screen is black, it hangs there, no error messages or crashes, it just hangs. take the newly created package files that used to be sims3store files out, and it runs again.

My son reckons I'm being petty, because the game works. What is wrong with wanting stuff to work right? besides I have a awful feeling that somewhere along the line whatever is happening is going to create another problem. ALSO, have you seen the lack of options available with ie the basic pets stuff available without the bonus pack? Some of those items I bought (paid for), why then should I not be nitpicky about it working? Isn't it fair to expect something you bought to work? There are with the bonus packs a total of 65 items that came directly from the store, that just will not install and just keep giving me the error to update my game when origin and the launcher tells me it IS up to date. (All other sims3pack files from anywhere else have no problems at all) Please help me? I'm pulling my hair out hear, and I can't find any thread anywhere of someone having the same problem, although I even followed the solutions of those that are closely related, not that I even know what is closely related, because I don't know what exactly wrong. Is it the launcher? Is it updates? Is it origin? Is it my game itself? Or does it fall under downloads? How do I categorise this? Search results in endless changing of search parameters reveals nothing that is the same as my problem here. Although I guess, if I had some inkling as to how to categorise this issue, and changed my search parameters accordingly, I might have better luck, but as I said above, I don't know.

Anybody have any ideas? Please please please help.
Advertisement
Test Subject
Original Poster
#2 Old 4th May 2014 at 1:46 PM
Ok, I'll be back soon, I really hope somebody out there can help me out on this one. It's not as if we can get the bonus pack for example on MTS so, without these downloads, I'm kinda lost. I tried searching for some of the items here, but no luck, nothing similar to the items I bought, I I really am hoping someone out there can help. Thanks in advance.

Pixie
Scholar
#3 Old 4th May 2014 at 2:03 PM
I think crinrict covered this problem on her help blog somewhere ...

http://sims3.crinrict.com/en/2011/0...lls-itself.html

Try the steps there and see if it works for you.

Heaven's Peak, my CAW WIP
Test Subject
Original Poster
#4 Old 5th May 2014 at 5:14 PM
Hi Fentonparkninja. I read your message last night already, and just wanted to try the steps and then get back to you on news. Apparently I would be one of the few that it does not work for. One of the few that Crinrict mentions that it doesn't work for. But I see in her blog that she mentions that you'd have to re-download your content if you had lost them, if you didn't have a backup in other words, which is not my scenario, I've learnt well enough over the years, backup before you do anything. But it did make me wonder. You know how on here when there's a new patch update, the creators update their mods to be able to work on the new update and you need to update your download if you get a new pack or patch? I was wondering if the sims3 store does the same for their content, and maybe it'd be worth my while to re-download them anyway. Do you know if they do this? Cause it just keeps giving me the same error message to update, when it is up to date, so what if it's my content from them that needs to be updated, is this possible? Is this possibly simply all I need to do? That is, IF they also update their content to work with new patches. I'm just not sure if they do that, and was wondering if you would know.
Department of Post-Mortem Communications
#5 Old 5th May 2014 at 9:23 PM
While the Store does not update for patches, there have been some items that were changed over the course of the years, so redownloading might be well worth it. I did so recently and some things are different both in a positive and in a ngeative way. And no, they don't announce it, but I had a few items that were broken and the new download is not broken anymore. In addition newer packages of Lunar Lakes or Barnacle Bay contain more items than the older versions.
Of course, the reverse is also true, i.e. formerly working store items became broken later or sets are suddenly missing things when they repackaged them. Ultralounge is an example for this, where suddenly the patterns that came with the individual sets are missing from recompiled sets, or the Flute Forward dress for elders that was working fine broke later (missing colour channels) and now seems to work fine again.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#6 Old 6th May 2014 at 9:52 AM
Thank you so much Babelle44, I think I will start off with downloading the bonus packs that I got with registration, what have I got to loose, right? Currently not working at all, so if re-downloading doesn't work, then I've lost nothing. After that I'll work on bought items, I never bought entire sets, because I don't necessarily like all the items in a set, so they're all single items. I'll let you all know how that goes.

Again thanks to everybody who looked into this and are trying to help. Whether or not you responded here, you might have found no answers, like me, and decided it's not worth saying anything then, I want to thank you too, because you looked into it, you tried, and that I appreciate, thank you.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#7 Old 11th May 2014 at 10:11 AM
Hi again, sorry it's been so long since I posted on this, I had a ton of orders to get out before mothersday, today, and as you can imagine, not making the deadline on this would be really really bad It was fun though, people can come up with such amazing ideas when they want to, it is my job to take their imagination and put it into reality, as far as artwork and the printing industry is concerned though Ppl tend to think printing, so the immediate thought is paper, they'd be surprised what the printing industry can do these days, especially with nifty little machines that can do sublimation onto just about anything, very cool.

Anyway, I promised an update on whether or not the plan worked to re-download my downloads from the sims 3 store ... it did not, I still get the same error message. So I'm completely stumped, I think it has something to to do with the latest patch update. Other than somebody turning them into package files for me, I don't know what else to do. As I said in my initial post, I did try to use Delphy's sims 3 extractor program, but that just freezes up my game. Is there something I'm supposed to do with them (the extracted, now package, files) other than put them in the mods folder? Because as package files I figured I should place them there, but I see after installing into the future, the expansion pack itself puts package files into my downloads folder? There are two of them, they look to be something to do with opportunities for going into the future, or something to that effect. I'm asking because maybe I'm missing something in that whole process with the package extractor program.

Thanks for everybody looking into this, and to all mommy's out there, I hope you all have an amazing day.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#8 Old 13th May 2014 at 8:29 PM
Ok, step by step, last attempt. I don't know if all the steps are really necessary, but I did everything that I thought might be interering, even in the smallest possible way with the launcher updating. Before all else check that origin as well as adobe air is updated to their latest versions.

1) Move both my downloads Folder + Mods Folder + DC Cache + DC backup to my desktop in their entirety, I can always merge and put it back.
2) Delete the cache files
3) Delete the version tag and log files
4) Start the launcher, it should now generate new tag/logs/DC Cache+backup files from scratch
4) In the launcher disable CC
5) Check again for new updates
6) Still no change, open "The sims 3 patch downloader" that I found here on MTS somewhere.
7) It finds two updates??? (Honestly can not say how or why but hey, who am I to complain, it just might be the reason for the problem, maybe for some unknown mysterious reason the superpatch skipped over them, there's one for WA and one for Pets, not too big, but nevertheless)
8) Download and install updates through the above program, afterwards, refresh just to double check.
9) Start the launcher again, now above program and the launcher and origin should all agree, the game IS up to date.
10) Attempt to install store content again...
.... waiting in anticipation, breath held, fingers crossed ...
AND IT's A FAIL, same error message. This is why I try to avoid updates as much as possible, they always just give me hassles, if it wasn't necessary for my two new expansion packs, I would just stick to the superpatch I used before, at least then my stuff all worked and installed and nothing ever told me that I had to update my games, it just worked. Now none of my store content will install and EA Support is silent on the matter, yes I emailed them for support too. I am done, I will not be getting sims 4 and I most certainly will never again buy anything from the sims 3 store.

... Sorry for the vent, you all have a nice evening, and thanks all for trying to help. If an administrator would like to close this thread, go right ahead, I think it's safe to say, the problem is unfixable.