Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
MTS has all free content, all the time. Find out how YOU can help to keep it running. Tell me how...

Maxis "Lost & Found" #22: Large Loft Window and Timber Column from CAS

by Numenor Posted 31st May 2006 at 2:33 AM

56 Comments / Replies (Who?) - 54 Feedback Posts, 1 Thanks Posts
Hide Thanks Posts for this thread (Show only feedback)
Page 2 of 3
Scholar
#26 Old 31st May 2006 at 2:28 PM
Yup thanks
I think the column will have it uses
like the window too

Please note - I'm not taking any requests at the moment.

You may include my items in your uploads but please credit with a link to either the object or my creator page please.

My Sims 2 videos
Field Researcher
#27 Old 31st May 2006 at 4:01 PM
Thank you so much for finally making the column!
Test Subject
#28 Old 31st May 2006 at 4:22 PM
Dang, thanks! I tried to extract that window with simpe, but I don't have the knowledge to do it correctly (I'm not a mod guru). Thank you, the cas objects are so awesome.
Lab Assistant
#29 Old 1st Jun 2006 at 6:16 PM
Thanks for extracting this window.

I discovered a slight prob with it. It doesn't let light into a room, although it does appear to be lighting objects and sims, but the rooms remain dark.

See this pic:

I just thought i'd make you aware of this, maybe its fixable?

-Xi-
xXx
Test Subject
#30 Old 1st Jun 2006 at 6:39 PM
I guess the mirror in the CAS screen and some other wall hangings deserve to be in the game too. BTW, is there any stuff found in the Univeristy CAS screen yet not found in the game? Thx for the works anyway.
Lab Assistant
#31 Old 1st Jun 2006 at 7:47 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Numenor
The red and blue hanging spotlights have already been extracted:
http://www.modthesims2.com/showthread.php?t=122959

How did I manage to miss that??? Thanks.
Instructor
#32 Old 2nd Jun 2006 at 3:27 AM
Thank you ModFather. You truly are a genius!
Mad Poster
#33 Old 3rd Jun 2006 at 11:54 AM
Wow, cool... Thanks a big big bunch...

Can the column act like a multi-story-ones?
Even if it can't, it will look great anyway... for TS2 users. :D
Instructor
#34 Old 5th Jun 2006 at 7:19 AM
These look like utility/telephone poles - Don't they?

I like 'em, too!

HD
Instructor
#35 Old 5th Jun 2006 at 7:21 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Xianah

I discovered a slight prob with it. It doesn't let light into a room, although it does appear to be lighting objects and sims, but the rooms remain dark.

See this pic:

-Xi-
xXx

That's a little problem I'll bet can be fixed.

HeartDeco
The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#36 Old 5th Jun 2006 at 4:55 PM
I'm sorry, but this is not a bug: Maxis decided to make it this way purposely.
The lighting, in the CAS screen, is carefully tweaked, and this window is not supposed to cast any diffuse light (it only casts light over objects and sims, but not on walls and floors). Infact, in the light definition for this window, the diffuse light has been explicitly set to zero.
I could modify the lighting, but obviously the CAS screen would be affected by the change, and I don't like this to happen: the window would not be a "Lost & Found" any more, but rather a global mod!

If anyone is interested, he can clone a normal window and use this mesh to replace the original one: there is no copyright on this item (except the one from Maxis, of course )

I've finally started my Journal. Information only, no questions.

My latest activity: CEP 9.2.0! - AnyGameStarter 2.1.1 (UPD) - Scriptorium v.2.2f - Photo & Plaques hide with walls - Magazine Rack (UPD) - Animated Windows Hack (UPD) - Custom Instrument Hack (UPD) - Drivable Cars Without Nightlife (UPD) - Courtesy Lights (FIX) - Custom Fence-Arches - Painting-TV - Smarter Lights (UPD)

I *DON'T* accept requests, sorry.
Instructor
#37 Old 6th Jun 2006 at 7:02 PM Last edited by HeartDeco : 6th Jun 2006 at 11:41 PM. Reason: to add update
Quote: Originally posted by Numenor
I'm sorry, but this is not a bug: Maxis decided to make it this way purposely.
The lighting, in the CAS screen, is carefully tweaked, and this window is not supposed to cast any diffuse light (it only casts light over objects and sims, but not on walls and floors). Infact, in the light definition for this window, the diffuse light has been explicitly set to zero.
I could modify the lighting, but obviously the CAS screen would be affected by the change, and I don't like this to happen: the window would not be a "Lost & Found" any more, but rather a global mod!

If anyone is interested, he can clone a normal window and use this mesh to replace the original one: there is no copyright on this item (except the one from Maxis, of course )

I'll see what I can do with it. OK?

HD

Edit: Basically, this is a decorative object right now. I looked at the package file and it appears to be missing several files. I went into 3D Objects and the wall masks for the CAS Loft are there, as well as some recolors. The good news is that is uses the same LIFO as the standard two-tile Loft window. There does not appear to be a file for a diagonal unit, but there is a wall mask for it, so I may be wrong.

I'll check back later after I have played with it.
Instructor
#38 Old 7th Jun 2006 at 8:09 PM Last edited by morten8035 : 9th Jun 2006 at 2:55 PM.
I have extracted the window for long time ago.
but it was not in the window catalog.
so i must add it to a normal by catalog

thanks for the window

Unauthorized incoming post!
Instructor
#39 Old 9th Jun 2006 at 6:53 PM Last edited by HeartDeco : 11th Jun 2006 at 5:15 AM.
Default OK Guys and Gals - Here is my version
Tell me what you think. This was my first cloning challenge, so don't be too rough.

File will follow shortly (it's on another thread), I just want to tweak it a smidge more.

Enjoy and Hugs,

HeartDeco
Screenshots
Lab Assistant
#40 Old 10th Jun 2006 at 7:19 AM
i thought the column is really neat until you look at the very top of it and it has no top surface. but it does make for a neat looking club house effect. if you stick one of the tall wooden columns inside the post you can then have a second story and place a roof on it. thanks again Numenor !!
Instructor
#41 Old 11th Jun 2006 at 5:13 AM
Quote: Originally posted by swmeek
i thought the column is really neat until you look at the very top of it and it has no top surface. but it does make for a neat looking club house effect. if you stick one of the tall wooden columns inside the post you can then have a second story and place a roof on it. thanks again Numenor !!

That's a very good idea, SWMeek. I thought it was a utility pole from the neightborhood objects and that it is kind of neat looking. Great for those
urban renewal themed lots.

Take care,
HeartDeco
Instructor
#42 Old 11th Jun 2006 at 1:46 PM Last edited by HeartDeco : 11th Jun 2006 at 1:53 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by Xianah

See this pic:

-Xi-
xXx

Hi Xi,

I compared most all the settings against other Maxis windows, both custom and clones, and so far I have found no clues. I try to be thorough, but I am inexperienced in this area. I had hoped that this was not the case after it was re-packaged, but I will continue to work on this. It has now become a quest to understand this window (grin). Though the HighTech Loft window does let light pass as in your picture, it is not without it's quirks with cloning.

I am curious, but does the CAS window do this on both sides? and does the HighTech allow light to pass through both sides? The reason I ask this is because in my game, both the HighTech window and the plate glass (independent expressions) window look the same to me as this CAS window with ambient light. With directional light, as in my pictures on the other post, it appears to work. If you notice the original extraction had but a very small file size because it contained only one key identifier. The components are scattered everywhere and it is still missing the material override file which concerns recoloring.

Thank you for your report - I will continue on...

HeartDeco
Field Researcher
#43 Old 16th Jun 2006 at 5:06 PM
Please keep finding and creating. Everything you do is appreciated. Thank you, so much!

Poetry soothes the mind, art pleases the eye, but music touches the heart.
Test Subject
#44 Old 22nd Jun 2006 at 4:33 PM
These objects bring new creative thoughts. Thanks
Even though the column only supports one story.

Im megas3300 and I approve this message.
Field Researcher
#45 Old 30th Jun 2006 at 8:28 AM
Good job, thank

To err is human. To forgive is divine. Sometimes:)
Test Subject
#46 Old 3rd Aug 2006 at 11:28 AM
Thank you!
Field Researcher
#47 Old 22nd Aug 2006 at 7:57 PM
Nice work! Thank you, Numenor!
Field Researcher
#48 Old 17th Sep 2006 at 11:16 PM
Thanxs for the objects, I like have the hidden objects!
Top Secret Researcher
#49 Old 15th Jul 2007 at 7:22 AM
Thanks Numenor! I'll take the window and leave the column if you don't mind!
The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#50 Old 15th Jul 2007 at 8:58 AM
Lol! I don't mind That column has little use anyway, due to its size (the look is not bad however...)

I've finally started my Journal. Information only, no questions.

My latest activity: CEP 9.2.0! - AnyGameStarter 2.1.1 (UPD) - Scriptorium v.2.2f - Photo & Plaques hide with walls - Magazine Rack (UPD) - Animated Windows Hack (UPD) - Custom Instrument Hack (UPD) - Drivable Cars Without Nightlife (UPD) - Courtesy Lights (FIX) - Custom Fence-Arches - Painting-TV - Smarter Lights (UPD)

I *DON'T* accept requests, sorry.
Page 2 of 3