Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 31st Oct 2021 at 6:05 PM Last edited by Triamond : 1st Nov 2021 at 2:09 PM.
Bowler Hats (old-fashioned / Victorian) - FOUND
Hi,

I am looking for bowler hats (Victorian era) for men - preferably black - and they should be available for elderly sims too.

I've found the one on the right here
https://gardenofshadows.org.uk/gard...45389#msg745389
but they don't work in my game. They look normal in CAS but they are flashing blue in-game.

Please could you help me find different ones which would work?
Advertisement
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#2 Old 31st Oct 2021 at 6:26 PM
They work okay for me in-game, I have the accessory version and several of my townies are wearing them with no blue flashing.
Mad Poster
#3 Old 1st Nov 2021 at 1:40 AM
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#4 Old 1st Nov 2021 at 3:54 AM
Thank you both very much!
I just realized that I forgot to mention that I'd like the hats work for the elderly sims too, I'll edit the first post and add this info.

@simsample - I'm wondering why they don't work for me. They're even separated from my sims' heads so the sim is walking and the hat is flying behind and flashing blue. But it looks good in CAS, strange. I also have the accessory version, I've now downloaded the jewelry version and am going to check how that works for me.

@Charity - many thanks :-) this hat is perfect! I'd gone through AAS a million times but never noticed this hat - I guess I didn't need it at that time. I think it doesn't work for elderly sims, though? But even if not, it's going to be great for the adult sims. Thank you once again, I'm going to check it in-game.
Mad Poster
#5 Old 1st Nov 2021 at 4:17 AM
Flashing blue accessories is just something that happens sometimes. Hide a batbox somewhere on every lot and when it happens you can click it and choose Fix/Flashing Blue/Relevant Sim. This will bring up the CAS window of the sim with the flashing blue accessory, which will look normal, and you can just accept and go on about your day.

Somewhere I have seen a process for fixing accessories that tend to do this, but I'm much too sleepy to track it down now and in any case you have to do it to every accessory that this happens to so that's a bit of a pain. It means something got overlooked when making it, I think, and you have to uncheck or check something in SimPE...don't quite remember.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Alchemist
#6 Old 1st Nov 2021 at 4:39 AM
Fixing Flashing Blue Accessories Tutorial by HystericalParoxysm

"Thinking of you, wherever you are. We pray for our sorrows to end, and hope that our hearts will blend." - Kingdom Hearts

XPTL Mod Archive | Change a Mod's Mesh into a CC Object | Increasing the Game Difficulty | Editing ACR 4 Your Age Mod
aka Kelyns | she/her
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#7 Old 1st Nov 2021 at 2:09 PM
I want to thank you all once again, the AAS hats are exactly what I needed and they even work for the elderly sims!

Thank you very much. Phantomknight! :-) This looks great. I hope this will resolve the problem so I can have some variety with two sets of hats.
Instructor
#8 Old 15th Nov 2021 at 4:19 PM
Default odd... not in all hair colors?
This one is good! Much closer to an actual bowler than those weird-looking ones with the perfectly round brims... not sure what you'd actually call those. Strangely though, it didn't show up in my game for black-haired sims. So I had to change Jeeves' hair to brown so he could wear his uniform bowler when accompanying Bertie on outings to Totleigh Towers, etc. There's a way, I think, using Body Shop, to fix this. Maybe?

As to the other ones, you have to wonder what goes through people's heads when they're creating some of this stuff. Some of them are obviously very talented at the modeling, getting the textures to look right, smooth lines and all... but the shape is just totally wrong. Lack of research, I'd say, or the general tendency on the internet to add as many tags to images as possible, which inevitably leads to false results. A bowler is not just a short top hat, or a pork pie, or a fedora. The terms aren't interchangeable.

Quote: Originally posted by Charity
There's a bowler hat hair here. https://web.archive.org/web/2014070...com/hair_3.html
Mad Poster
#9 Old 16th Nov 2021 at 5:37 AM
That's strange. I checked mine and all 4 hair colours show up and I haven't edited the files. Are you sure you downloaded all 4?
Instructor
#10 Old 28th Nov 2021 at 6:52 AM
I... wasn't looking in the right place. They appear under the custom hairs, no problem. Thank you.

Quote: Originally posted by Charity
That's strange. I checked mine and all 4 hair colours show up and I haven't edited the files. Are you sure you downloaded all 4?