Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Instructor
Original Poster
#1 Old 25th Jan 2021 at 2:50 AM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Default Jennifer Burb giving birth crashes my game
Hiya,

So today was time for the Burbs in my megahood rotations and after a few sim-hours she went into labor with their 3rd kid. She had the baby, cutscene and all, and then when I was supposed to get the dialog to name it, it crashed. I tried a few more times and it kept crashing.

I terminated her pregnancy with sim blender in case she was glitched because it'd been 3 months since I last was at the Burbs in my rotations, and got her pregnant again. And again, after the baby was born it crashed before I could name it.

I hadn't added any new mods, so I don't think it's mod related.
I also checked the various other pregnant women around town and everybody else can give birth and name their baby, so Jennifer is the only issue.

I even tried moving them to a new lot, still crash. I thought maybe it was a broken token thing, and she did still have a pregnancy modifier token in SimPE even after having terminated the pregnancy (I was not saving at all during all this testing), so I removed that and got her pregnant again and still crash. I have Boiling Oil's mod that takes care of tokens and gossip and stuff when you enter the lot so I was hoping that'd maybe fix things but just no matter what it still kept crashing before the name dialog pops up. And it's only Jennifer.

For story purposes I may just have them adopt to fulfill John's baby want, but I'd really like to know what's going on here so that if there's something really broken that I can fix it. Just in case there's a bigger issue here, like I said all the other currently pregnant women are totally fine but I don't want this to happen to any future sim women if it's a larger issue than just Jennifer.
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 25th Jan 2021 at 3:57 AM
When there's a random crash that only happens in very particular circumstances it often turns out to be a piece of custom clothing or something like that that is messing things up for reasons that aren't clear. Have you tried taking out ALL of your CC to see if it still happens? If it works after that, you can do a 50/50 to narrow down what is causing it.
Instructor
Original Poster
#3 Old 25th Jan 2021 at 4:12 AM
Quote: Originally posted by kestrellyn
When there's a random crash that only happens in very particular circumstances it often turns out to be a piece of custom clothing or something like that that is messing things up for reasons that aren't clear. Have you tried taking out ALL of your CC to see if it still happens? If it works after that, you can do a 50/50 to narrow down what is causing it.

I'll do that in the morning,
but I'm confused how it could be cc if I don't have any baby cc? or could it be any unrelated cc?
Mad Poster
#4 Old 25th Jan 2021 at 4:27 AM
I don't how it could, but I've definitely seen cases in the past where, e.g. a custom sweater was causing the game to crash whenever Don Lothario (and only Don Lothario) tried to get a job, and taking the sweater out fixed the problem. There's certainly some logical reason why it happened, but since we don't have access to the core game code, we don't actually have any information on what caused the game to crash or how that was related to the sweater. We have access to information about what causes errors or strange game behavior, but crashes happen on a lower level.
Mad Poster
#5 Old 25th Jan 2021 at 12:38 PM Last edited by simmer22 : 25th Jan 2021 at 1:05 PM.
Could be something with the dialog for the baby naming, since the game crashes before that one pops up.

Do you get past the baby naming step with other pregnancies? That's something you'll want to test (on other lots, to figure out if it's something on that particular lot that's causing the bug).

Crashes and errors can be related to anything, from a borked pregmorph in an outfit to a mod conflict the game can't handle. You'll want to see if the bug happens during similar circumstances but elsewhere, and if it does, you do 50/50 because it's probably something in your CC. If it only happens on that one lot, you can try to switch out or remove outfits or hairs they're wearing, and see if that helps.

One possibility for babies if you don't have any baby-related CC is skintones, eyes and eyebrows. Babies can get geneticized/towniefied eyes and skins within their parents' range, along with defaults and whatever their parents have, plus binned (and towniefied?) eyebrows. So if you have any of this that's borked, that's a possibility. If the baby tries to access any of the above and it doesn't have a baby stage, the game probably will crash (especially skins - I think eyes and eyebrows tend to not be a problem unless the eyes of the parent have been removed from the game and they're currently using the eyes painted onto the skin).

Instructor
Original Poster
#6 Old 25th Jan 2021 at 3:15 PM
Quote: Originally posted by simmer22
Could be something with the dialog for the baby naming, since the game crashes before that one pops up.

Do you get past the baby naming step with other pregnancies? That's something you'll want to test (on other lots, to figure out if it's something on that particular lot that's causing the bug).

Yes, other families who are pregnant at the moment can name their babies, and go on as normal no problem.
I thought maybe it was the Burb lot, but it still crashes when I moved them to a new lot and had Jennifer give birth there. This is why I think the issue is Jennifer.

Quote: Originally posted by simmer22

One possibility for babies if you don't have any baby-related CC is skintones, eyes and eyebrows. Babies can get geneticized/towniefied eyes and skins within their parents' range, along with defaults and whatever their parents have, plus binned (and towniefied?) eyebrows. So if you have any of this that's borked, that's a possibility. If the baby tries to access any of the above and it doesn't have a baby stage, the game probably will crash (especially skins - I think eyes and eyebrows tend to not be a problem unless the eyes of the parent have been removed from the game and they're currently using the eyes painted onto the skin).

The only skin, eyes, and eyebrows I have are the same default replacements I've been using the entire time and I've never had any issues with crashing any time any other sim gave birth, or any other babies But I guess it's possible they're still behind this. I have no other cc that affects babies.

I'll take all my cc and mods out and see what happens and be back with my findings.
Instructor
Original Poster
#7 Old 25th Jan 2021 at 7:30 PM
Sorry to double post, but I found it. It was in fact CC.

It was Jennifer's shirt. Which I'm confused by because it's a default replacement of her normal shirt that's she's been wearing the entire time and there weren't any issues when she had their daughter Alyssa the other time, there's only an issue now. Odd.

But I've removed it and am now looking for another default I like, and then I'll just need to make sure it matches her skirt and anybody else in the town with that shirt doesn't look silly with the new default.

But at least I found the culprit!
Mad Poster
#8 Old 25th Jan 2021 at 8:59 PM Last edited by simmer22 : 26th Jan 2021 at 12:10 AM.
Could be a borked morph or something like that. If so, the shirt would look fine on other sims as long as they aren't pregnant or fat. Depends on whether you use a "preg wear all" hack (sim goes back to regular outfit or fat morph), or default maternity outfits (sim pops back to the regular outfit), it could trigger the error/crash if something is wrong in their non-pregnant outfit.

The default outfit and the CC version are most likely not linked in any way, so if one of them has a problem the other one most likely wouldn't be affected (unless there's something wrong in the mesh and the issue wasn't fixed when the default was made).

Could also be something in the PropertySet settings (but not sure what).

If you happen to have one of the graphic cards that cause the light bug in CAS, check if this shirt lights up like a Christmas tree. Could be it lacks the "HasTangentArray:" line in the mesh (it's a bumpmap/mesh thing) - Missing the line shouldn't be a visible problem outside of CAS, but you never know what the game might decide it doesn't like.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#9 Old 25th Jan 2021 at 10:33 PM
Quote: Originally posted by CASnarl
Sorry to double post, but I found it. It was in fact CC.

It was Jennifer's shirt. Which I'm confused by because it's a default replacement of her normal shirt that's she's been wearing the entire time and there weren't any issues when she had their daughter Alyssa the other time, there's only an issue now. Odd.

But I've removed it and am now looking for another default I like, and then I'll just need to make sure it matches her skirt and anybody else in the town with that shirt doesn't look silly with the new default.

But at least I found the culprit!

Someone on here had a blouse that crashed the game when the sim tried to get a job, so yes a shirt that crashes a birth-very possible. Sometimes this game makes no sense. Which default was it?

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#10 Old 26th Jan 2021 at 11:06 AM
Oh yeah, that was me! It had been in my game for eleven years with no problems - until I asked one of the Tricou teens to find a job. I did some searching at the time and I think it had originally been made by incorrectly chopping up a full body mesh and I was able to fix it by making a new mesh package. I also once had a rug that crashed my game when I tried to load a particular lot that didn't even have the rug anywhere in it. That's why you have to check all your CC, not just bits of it. None of us CC creators are professionals, and mistakes happen in the strangest of places.