Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Mad Poster
#26 Old 10th Mar 2016 at 3:27 AM
Nice segue with the fountains! And some good ideas here. I've used a fence under a "cheat" staircase to give the illusion of a support, but never a window as a shower curtain. Or columns as room dividers or fireplace extensions.

Thanks to ALL free-site creators, admins and mods.

RIP Sunni ... truly a ray of light.
Advertisement
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#27 Old 10th Mar 2016 at 3:36 AM
I like to use columns behind on the edge of staircases to help fill the gap and also on wall edges to make them look more finished. My only bug bear with them is, is why did Maxis make them too short, they are all shorter than the wall so anytime they are giving support to say a balcony they are not actually touching it at all!

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Undead Molten Llama
#28 Old 10th Mar 2016 at 4:34 AM
Quote: Originally posted by joandsarah77
A thoroughly messed up thread and iCad is not even in sight.

Ah, but I could be! :D

It's a really simple thing, but I've always loved the railroad tracks on Jo's hostel lot. It's especially fun when I use the train from Sophie-David's hood effects on the lot as well, so that a train runs on the tracks...sometimes, anyway.

As for me...I'm a CC addict and don't really do well without it, but even so, I like putting CC together in ways not necessarily intended as well. Like, when I was building a convent a few years back, I got into making huge, elaborate, multi-story fireplaces, and Buggybooz's niches set is awesome for that. I attached a pic of one of them. (After I took the pic, I recolored the actual fireplace so that all the stone matched. It looked pretty awesome in the end. )

I also like to make "arches" and room dividers with columns and a little bit of porch deco that mustluvcatz made, like in the second pic I attached, which is from a house I built just the other day.
Screenshots

I'm mostly found on (and mostly upload to) Tumblr these days because, alas, there are only 24 hours in a day.
Muh Simblr! | An index of my downloads on Tumblr.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#29 Old 10th Mar 2016 at 4:42 AM
How fun that the idea caught on! As for the scope of the thread, I thought it should be broad and not limited to original content, although I see that my examples might have made a different impression. So to clear that up: In my view, anything you find clever or innovative should be fine

@gummilutt: You're right, of course: Default replacements definitely count as CC (I guess I was blinded by the fact that no CC shipped with the download). Not that the default replacements take away from her one bit. I love her lot, CC or no CC

@joandsarah77: The photos are very huge indeed. I've hidden them behind spoiler tags now, thanks for pointing it out!
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#30 Old 10th Mar 2016 at 5:11 AM
iCad, does the train actually fit on the tracks? That's cool if it does.

Thanks Batanau.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#31 Old 10th Mar 2016 at 8:12 AM
Thank you all for sharing your ideas, I am impressed! - Note to self: mark this thread so that all these can be stolen in future
Undead Molten Llama
#32 Old 10th Mar 2016 at 10:30 AM
Quote: Originally posted by joandsarah77
iCad, does the train actually fit on the tracks? That's cool if it does.

Not really, but it zooms by so fast that it doesn't really matter. It's just nice to have the effect. Adds to the general atmosphere and all.

I'm mostly found on (and mostly upload to) Tumblr these days because, alas, there are only 24 hours in a day.
Mad Poster
#33 Old 10th Mar 2016 at 10:50 AM
It's interesting to see that our champion thread derailer, considers that's that it doesn't matter if the train's on the rails or not!

All Sims are beautiful -- even the ugly ones.
My Simblr ~~ My LJ
Sims' lives matter!
The Veronaville kids are alright.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#34 Old 10th Mar 2016 at 10:52 AM
^ ^

~Call me Jo~
Undead Molten Llama
#35 Old 10th Mar 2016 at 10:55 AM
Well, you know, I'M off the rails half the time, at least, so the train might as well be, too.

Forum Resident
#36 Old 10th Mar 2016 at 11:05 AM
Quote: Originally posted by gazania
But I thought the original post said custom as well?

When reading this, I was thinking of a situation where you have to do a purge, but want to keep a very small amount of CC because of its versatility.

Sorry!

I deleted my post, though, since I really did misread the question in another way.

Sorry again.

The original post does say custom as well.
Mad Poster
#37 Old 10th Mar 2016 at 1:32 PM Last edited by gazania : 10th Mar 2016 at 4:46 PM.
OK, then I'll repeat the post I deleted, and add some stuff. These are really simple tips. If I can do these, so can most! (I'm almost embarrassed to post these, since they seem so basic. Others are doing chair-bear rides and clotheslines, and I'm ... I'm ... )

Some of the Buggybooz niche pieces (@Icad ... another Buggybooz niche set fan ... yay!) can also be used to fill the gap between the terrain and the house if you're doing a partially-above ground basement. You're left with a ditch-like section between the ground and the house, and no matter what Maxis items I tried, they didn't look right to me. They often sit way too low for my tastes, and I want as much of that gap completely-covered as I can. I choose from a few Buggybooz pieces, depending on the situation. Snap_objects and move_objects, a lot of very patient alignment (I didn't say this was a quick fix!), and you can place several types of statues, flowers and bushes on top of the pieces. The ends are slightly misaligned, but bushes and plants aren't perfectly-aligned in real life, either! You do have to select content that won't easily clip through the wall, though.

(I use this tutorial for the partially-above ground basement: http://sofysticated-sims.blogspot.c...e-one-with.html)

Buggybooz stuff can also be used to fill in other sorts of gaps. I sometimes use it when I have different roof slants and need to do something about the gaps between them. If the Maxis gnome came before me and demanded I get rid of 75% of my custom content, the Buggybooz niche sets are part of the 25% I would keep.

Oh ... and there is the shimmering pond effect. Once I learned about it, I now do it on all my ponds. Credit goes first to rockethorse (thank you, rockethorse), and next to M.M.A.A. for reposting it on Tumblr, where I noticed it.

http://rockethorse.tumblr.com/post/...tructions-1-you

I often use the low tablet or ground square Buggybooz pieces to cover the pool section in the four areas (move_objects) and place statues, potted plants and small fountains on them. I tried a bunch of Maxis stuff, but I prefer the look of the Buggybooz squares. For one thing, they neatly cover up the entire pool square. However, some of the bulkier Maxis stuff can work as well.

Scholar
#38 Old 10th Mar 2016 at 4:00 PM
Omg icad... Those are beautiful
Field Researcher
#39 Old 10th Mar 2016 at 5:29 PM Last edited by Liv : 10th Mar 2016 at 7:50 PM.
gazania - a big yay for reflective water in ponds!
And it is so easy to do!
Such an inspiring thread I can't wait for more posts!

More decorative mirrors:

Another example of making bigger rugs with use of small rugs:

Hanging towels just like in real life

A different wedding arch:

A 'fence-y' gazebo:

2-tile curtains vs three 1-tile windows:

Pics found on the Internet:

I LOVE this pool! :lovestruc

Low (like 2-clicks) foundations are stunning, too!

Fake ponds:
Mad Poster
#40 Old 10th Mar 2016 at 6:13 PM Last edited by gazania : 13th Mar 2016 at 3:01 PM.
Directions on how to do that above-ground pool are here. Really. I have to find the link. It was missing for a long time, but it's back! the pool can be a little time-consuming, but again, if I can do it ...

Here ya go ... http://modthesims.info/t/474962

A little more about that ditchy area when you do a partial above-ground basement.

Anyway.

Want a special speaker (kind of) for your community lot? Want the music to be nothing but Bob Seger songs?

Download a small transistor radio. There are a few, but ATS2 has some really tiny ones. Use cheats to get it on the wall and up there. I would think you can also stick something over it if a small transistor radio on a wall isn't your thing. Personally, if I can't find the radio in the Community tabs, I would use Sim PE to make the radio a community item. Back up first and all that. Put some Bob Seger songs in one of the folders and make that special station. Use that station for the makeshift speaker.

Voila! Nothing but Bob Seger. Two slight problems are that your Sims have to turn it on, and you may have to download a mod that stops them from turning the radio off. But you shall have Bob Seger! Or Adele. Or Drake. Or Pitbull. Or whatever music floats your boat.

This thread is a must-suscribe. IMO. Lots of good tips here!

Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#41 Old 10th Mar 2016 at 9:03 PM
Oh yes, that pool! I remember back when she made that tutorial and then I think she deleted it, glad to see HL restored it. Once I somehow messed around and made a pool inside a foundation, no tutorial. But some of the water I could not flatten so I never uploaded that lot. I built it for a build/decorate competition.

~Call me Jo~
Instructor
#42 Old 12th Mar 2016 at 8:55 PM
Bookmarking this thread for ever and ever. Thanks to all, especially Zarathustra (who has made some of my hands-down, FAVORITE uploads ever). I prefer to play CC-free (mods are fair game though) and it really challenges me to be creative but some of these ideas blew mine out of the water (like a fountain!).
Link Ninja
#43 Old 17th Mar 2016 at 11:44 PM
I really like this thread, anyone have anything else to share? Maybe some innovative use of fountains???

Uh oh! My social bar is low - that's why I posted today.

Instructor
#44 Old 18th Mar 2016 at 2:20 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Honeywell
I don't know about inspirational but here's an old favorite I haven't used in years. I think everyone has turned the wine rack around to make cabinets

Okay, I am the one who hasn't turned it around - and when I tried it, they stuck out noticeably from the wall, hanging in mid-air. Is there a cheat I have to apply to it?
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#45 Old 18th Mar 2016 at 2:29 PM
All these tricks require a few cheats. Move objects on, quarter tile cheat and or snap off grid cheat.

~Call me Jo~
Field Researcher
#46 Old 18th Mar 2016 at 6:16 PM Last edited by RedSimmies : 18th Mar 2016 at 9:29 PM.
Everything is so pretty here! :lovestruc

I like using that full height window as a shower divider too. But lately I started to use half walls and fences I never used much before!

Link Ninja
#47 Old 19th Mar 2016 at 6:04 AM
I enjoy outdoor ceiling lattice decorating, by using the fencing tile and then deleting the floors and adjusting shrubbery and lights. I found a good example by kahiena on tumblr found Here

Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#48 Old 20th Mar 2016 at 7:05 PM
Today's nifty design tips from me are some stuff I found on a lot I downloaded from TSR: Oceanside Luxury Resort by Illiana.

Screenshots
Link Ninja
#50 Old 15th May 2016 at 12:24 AM
Ok can we all just appreciate the overall nifty-ness of @MystAngel's BUS STOP BUILD/DESIGN

1. The way she constructed the buses interior and exterior

2. The Phone booth encasement - genius!

3. The luggage made of different vanilla objects that were not actual luggage.

Page 2 of 4