Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Part-time Hermit
Original Poster
#176 Old 18th Jun 2007 at 6:08 PM
By the way, you will have to make new recolors, OR fix the GUIDs in the recolors MMATs, too, before they will show up in game .
Advertisement
Top Secret Researcher
#177 Old 18th Jun 2007 at 6:16 PM
OH...duh , ok , thanks so much i'll do that xoxoxoxoxoxoxo

You will find my older and newest creations here
Test Subject
#178 Old 19th Jul 2007 at 10:46 PM
Default Thanks
Just like to thank you for this tutorial.
At the beginning of the week I could just about mange to create a cloned vase using the tutorial here and elsewhere.
Last night I uploaded my first item and now I can finally include subsets of my own, rather than cloning an object with a subset of its own.
Word of warning to anyone attempting this tutorial.
READ IT THOROUGHLY!!
The information is all there and if you skip or accidentally shorten a texture name particularly where there are subset_material references together then you will not see a second texture you might have added!
I did this on the first and second attempt but on the third I was more methodical and found where I had gone wrong!
Thanks again
Steve C
Test Subject
#179 Old 16th Oct 2007 at 10:35 AM
I wanted to ask you ca add a GMDC in the package or file?
Retired Duck
retired moderator
#180 Old 16th Oct 2007 at 11:16 AM
You can, but it's a bit more complicated than adding a new subset, and it won't do anything unless you make a bunch of other changes as well. You have to actually have a good reason to do it. The main reason you'd want to add another GMDC is if you're trying to do BHAV-based mesh switching... What are you trying to do?
Scholar
#181 Old 11th Nov 2007 at 8:08 AM Last edited by Rainncandy : 11th Nov 2007 at 10:26 AM.
1. I've made two new objects, and I'm having problems with both of them. They are both meshes that have an added subset. For each object, I only made one color, but once I look at them in the game, they come with recolors. I didn't make ANY recolors. Why are they showing up with recolors when I didn't make any recolors? I cloned the Maxis fruit basket to make my items and they are picking up recolors - from where, I don't know.

2. How can glass be recolorable WITHOUT a texture?? I want my glass to be pink, but how can I make it pink without including a texture? Where is the glass going to get the pink coloring from? That makes no sense to me at all.
The ModFather
retired moderator
#182 Old 11th Nov 2007 at 10:09 AM
Raincandy, please edit your first message, instead of posting two messages in a row...

1) Cloned objects that automatically get other objects' recolours.
You probably cloned a "slave" object, i.e. a Maxis object that is designed to get external recolours: for example all the maxis bed take the sheets colour from the Colonial double bed. If you clone a bed, it will take automatically all the existing beddings recolours. How to prevent this? When you are about to clone your object, click the option "Make stand-alone object"; but remember that this feature might cause problems in some objects (for instance, kitchen counters). The CEP documentation lists all the "slave" objects, so that you can possibly choose to clone an object that is not enslaved to anything.

2) Textureless glass.
If an object part doesn't need to have a pattern or design over it, but requires only a uniform colour, usually there is no texture to edit. The colour is taken directly from the Material Definition, from the stdMatDiffCoef parameter: this is a triplet of R-G-B values, each ranging from 0.0 to 1.0 (0,0,0 means black; 1,1,1 means white, etc.)

I've finally started my Journal. Information only, no questions.

My latest activity: CEP 9.2.0! - AnyGameStarter 2.1.1 (UPD) - Scriptorium v.2.2f - Photo & Plaques hide with walls - Magazine Rack (UPD) - Animated Windows Hack (UPD) - Custom Instrument Hack (UPD) - Drivable Cars Without Nightlife (UPD) - Courtesy Lights (FIX) - Custom Fence-Arches - Painting-TV - Smarter Lights (UPD)

I *DON'T* accept requests, sorry.
Scholar
#183 Old 11th Nov 2007 at 10:45 AM
What if the R-G-B values are: 234, 102, and 159? How do they translate to numbers between 0.0 and 1.0??
Retired Duck
retired moderator
#184 Old 11th Nov 2007 at 11:21 AM
Thats 0.914, 0.398 and 0.62. Divide decimal numbers by 256 to get the normalized (between 0 and 1) colour values.
Scholar
#185 Old 11th Nov 2007 at 11:21 AM Last edited by Rainncandy : 20th Nov 2007 at 3:38 AM.
ok, thanks Echo and Numenor!

Quote: Originally posted by Numenor
Raincandy, please edit your first message, instead of posting two messages in a row...

1) Cloned objects that automatically get other objects' recolours.
You probably cloned a "slave" object, i.e. a Maxis object that is designed to get external recolours: for example all the maxis bed take the sheets colour from the Colonial double bed. If you clone a bed, it will take automatically all the existing beddings recolours. How to prevent this? When you are about to clone your object, click the option "Make stand-alone object"; but remember that this feature might cause problems in some objects (for instance, kitchen counters). The CEP documentation lists all the "slave" objects, so that you can possibly choose to clone an object that is not enslaved to anything.

I usually clone the fruit basket, and I looked at the documentation, and it doesn't state that it picks up recolors. I've never seen any recolors of the fruit basket, so I don't see why when I clone it, that it picks up recolors. I guess I can still try the "stand alone" option to see if that works.

EDIT: I tried cloning the Sunflowers with the vase, but I deleted the vase. My object is a DVD rack with 3 DVD's. The main object is the rack with one DVD, and the subset are 2 extra DVD's. I cloned the sunflowers instead of the fruit basket this time, and I checked off "stand alone object" in Simpe, but there is STILL a recolor included when I looked at it in the game.
Scholar
#186 Old 22nd Nov 2007 at 4:14 AM Last edited by Rainncandy : 22nd Nov 2007 at 4:35 AM.
I don't know what it is, but even if a Maxis object doesn't have a recolor, for some reason, if I clone it (sometimes) then it will pick up the color of the object I cloned. This makes absolutely no sense to me. I even looked in the CEP documentation, and it doesn't pick up recolors, so I don't know what else to do.

Is there a way to delete the other colors?
The ModFather
retired moderator
#187 Old 24th Nov 2007 at 12:44 AM
Many objects that Maxis made not recolourable, are made recolourable by the CEP: SimPE by default detects the CEP and uses its resources in order to create a recolourable clone.

If you want to create a non-recolourable clone, then you should deactivate the CEP in the Extra -> Preferences -> File Table; if, on the other hand, you do want your clone to be recolourable, but you are only annoyed by the several recolours contained in the clone, be sure to select the option "Pull only default colour" before cloning.

My latest activity: CEP 9.2.0! - AnyGameStarter 2.1.1 (UPD) - Scriptorium v.2.2f - Photo & Plaques hide with walls - Magazine Rack (UPD) - Animated Windows Hack (UPD) - Custom Instrument Hack (UPD) - Drivable Cars Without Nightlife (UPD) - Courtesy Lights (FIX) - Custom Fence-Arches - Painting-TV - Smarter Lights (UPD)

Scholar
#188 Old 24th Nov 2007 at 7:10 AM
Lab Assistant
#189 Old 26th Nov 2007 at 9:31 AM
I created a subset that is recolorable and it worked fine the only thing is that the pictures ingame look weird, the subset is blue, how to fix this?
Screenshots
Field Researcher
#190 Old 26th Nov 2007 at 9:28 PM
Make sure that in the shape is linked the right txmt, and in the txmt the right texture.
If you can't find the error, please attach your file here.

If you like my creations, you may consider to make a little donation to support my site and my modding activity.
MaryLou's Sims 2 World - MaryLou Sims 2 Forum (Italiano)
Lab Assistant
#191 Old 27th Nov 2007 at 8:39 PM
I fixed a part of it, the recolors look well now but the main picture still doesn't, so could you please take a look at the package(s), thanks a lot.
Screenshots
Attached files:
File Type: zip  tgkitchen1cabinet3.zip (497.2 KB, 12 downloads) - View custom content
Field Researcher
#192 Old 27th Nov 2007 at 11:58 PM Last edited by MaryLou : 28th Nov 2007 at 8:49 AM.
There is an error into the shape: the subset "left" this txmt ##0x1C050000!tgkitchen1cabinet3-[timgebraad-25.11.2007-152323]_left_show1
but yours really txmt is ##0x1C050000!tgkitchen1cabinet3-[timgebraad-27.11.2007-b192b]_left_show1
And, of course, all the recolours are wrong, they call the wrong cres into the MMATs

@Edit:
Here the files fixed.
Remember to refresh the Thumbnails.
Screenshots
Attached files:
File Type: zip  Files-FIXED.zip (500.6 KB, 11 downloads) - View custom content

If you like my creations, you may consider to make a little donation to support my site and my modding activity.
Lab Assistant
#193 Old 28th Nov 2007 at 2:23 PM
thanks a lot :D
Lab Assistant
#194 Old 28th Jan 2008 at 11:30 AM
Hi, I have gone over this tutorial to make all the items in a bedroom set all recolourable, everything has worked fine except one.
the bed does not seem to want to recolour, I go in to the object workshop, recolour the bed, it comes up with the supset, then once inside I import my texture.
then save.
i then go in to the game, and there is no recolour.
I have gone over everything in the main package and the recolour package to make sure everything seems to be linking, everything seems ok to me, But I might have missed something as I am only new to this.
I tried starting from scratch but I still get the same problem.
Attached files:
File Type: rar  fowerpink_mesh_bedbyrosaline.rar (169.5 KB, 10 downloads) - View custom content
Field Researcher
#195 Old 28th Jan 2008 at 1:28 PM
Well, this can't work, there are different errors inside your package.

1)The file "flowerpink.mesh.bedbyrosaline_tslocator_gmnd" in the tsDesignModeEnabled you have 3 subset, they can't work. You can only have two subset.
In your GMDC does NOT exist the subset texture
- You have to delete the inexistent subset "texture". commit and save
If you want a third subset to be recolorable you have to use an advanced mode: you have to make a subset slave, one subset must be slave of another and will be recolorable only with the master subset. But is not the case.

Look at, always in the file "flowerpink.mesh.bedbyrosaline_tslocator_gmnd", the tsMaterialsMeshName:the bed uses the bedding from the original Maxis bed.
This is normal, if you don't want this you have to make your bed totally autonomous.

2)The file "flowerpink.mesh.bedbyrosaline_frame_texture_txmt", pay attention, you have 2 txmt that refer to the same subset "frame"!
You have to change the name with the right subset "bedding"
- Rename the txmt in the filename and in the tab cMaterialDefinition (write bedding instead of frame), click Fix TGI, don't forget this, you have to get an unique instance for each txmt, commit and save
- Change the name of the texture: the string "stdMatBaseTextureName" change frame with bedding.
Change the name also in teh tab "File List". Commit and save

3)The file "flowerpink.mesh.bedbyrosaline_untagged0_shpe"
Again the same error: the subset "texture" does NOT exist.
- Delete the string of the texture
- Delete the string of the subset "beddoublecolonial_opacityplane" (you don't need this, it doesn't exist)
- change the Material Definition File (recall the orginal Maxis txmt) for the subset "bedding" with "##0x1C050000!flowerpink.mesh.bedbyrosaline_bedding_texture"

4)The MMAT ##0x1C050000!flowerpink.mesh.bedbyrosaline_frame_texture, recalls again the inexistent subset texture.
- Rename the MMAT, change frame with bedding in the string "name (dtString)
- Change the subset "texture" with "bedding" in the string (subsetName)
commit and save

5)The texture, the file "flowerpink.mesh.bedbyrosaline-frame-texture_txtr"
-Again change frame with bedding and Fix TGI, then commit and save.

This should fix your package.
Now the bed will use your textures, delete the thumbs before run the game, in the catalog you'll see your bed with your texture but when you buy it the default recolor for the bedding will stay the original maxis. Select the recolor of your bedding and try the bed.
Your bed in this way borrow the texture for the bedding from the original Maxis bed. If you don't want this, but you want only your recolor for the bedding, you have to change the GMND, the shape, and also the TL: in this case attach again the new fixed file and I'll explain to you how change the bedding again.

Lab Assistant
#196 Old 29th Jan 2008 at 8:51 AM
thank you Marylou,
but sadly I still can't get it to work.
I did everything in the instructions you gave and it still does not give me a recolour
prehaps I am still doing something incorrect
Attached files:
File Type: rar  fowerpink_mesh_bedbyrosaline.rar (166.6 KB, 10 downloads) - View custom content
Field Researcher
#197 Old 29th Jan 2008 at 11:06 AM
Well, you have forgot this in the shape
- change the Material Definition File (recall the orginal Maxis txmt) for the subset "bedding" with "##0x1C050000!flowerpink.mesh.bedbyrosaline_bedding_texture"
But, I'm sorry, I've forgot to complete the instruction for the MMAT:
the MMAT of the subset bedding must recall the cres of the original bedding, recall the original GUID , set to false the defaultMaterial and use the right string of the TL
- defaultMaterial ->Value 0
- modelName -> beddoublecolonial_cres
- objectGUID -> 0x500FE191
- objectStateIndex -> 0x00000000

I have fixed the file, now it works, you have only to change your texture for the bedding subset to apply it fine.
Attached files:
File Type: rar  bedbyrosalineFIXED.rar (167.9 KB, 13 downloads) - View custom content

Lab Assistant
#198 Old 29th Jan 2008 at 12:56 PM Last edited by rosaline_10 : 29th Jan 2008 at 1:00 PM. Reason: typo
Yay it works
I downloaded yours to have a look at what changes you made to the shape.
I am sooo embarrassed but I though I was only ment to only add the words "bedding" in to the name of the "frame" part.
frame##0x1C050000!flowerpink.mesh.bedbyrosaline_bedding_texture
, but after looking at yours and reading over the instructions, that it was ment to have the changes made to the "bedding" part.
bedding##0x1C050000!flowerpink.mesh.bedbyrosaline_bedding_texture.
I am soooo sorry about that, I am still learning Simpe.
thank you so much for your help, you are very kind
I am very happy now, I can finally finish off all the new recolours I made for this set.
Test Subject
#199 Old 5th Feb 2008 at 7:57 AM
[warning] Slightly dumb question ahead [/warning]

what tutorial should I read so that I understand this one? lol I read it and don't get everything so help is appreciated
The ModFather
retired moderator
#200 Old 5th Feb 2008 at 10:24 AM
This is not a dumb question, on the contrary; but unfortunately, there is no answer...
The knowledge needed to follow this tutorial is usually acquired by creating objects and fiddling with files and SimPE. However, if you know how to create a new object, and you just need to know how to add a second recolourable part, you should be able to understand this tutorial. Another solution is to clone an object that already has two recolourable part, so that you don't have to add any new subset.

Page 8 of 10