Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
#26 Old 13th Oct 2009 at 7:01 PM
thank you
Advertisement
Forum Resident
#27 Old 5th Nov 2009 at 5:15 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Srikandi
Check the sticky threads

http://www.modthesims.info/forumdisplay.php?f=604

BTW, this is an old tut... there are many, many more options for string table editors available now, if you look around... plus string table editing has been built into various other tools. So you have lots of choice in that field at this point.

I've looked, but the only editor I see is Postal. What are the others? What I'm looking for is a way to view the data in spreadsheet format so I can do a visual check for the various entries for a career. There are many entries and they aren't in order. Also, when you search with the stbl editor you don't always get the record you are looking for, not to mention the fact that you can only view one record at a time.

When modifying careers you have to change the job titles, descriptions, tones, LTW and with my luck several other categories. Luckily the male and female entries are always sequential. That's a lot of data, it turns out. I have been collecting a list of entry numbers, and I have quite a few of them so far, but I know I'm also missing a lot. I was going to add them to this thread when I finished... maybe I should just post what I have so far...

As a person used to SQL or Excel this is frustrating. And you can open an stbl file in Excel, but the row numbers don't match the "entry" numbers in the stbl editor so I'm a little suspicious about how well it imported. Any ideas or hints?

My cat taught me how to fetch. I throw the toy, she shows me where it landed, and I fetch it.
Field Researcher
#28 Old 5th Nov 2009 at 7:44 PM
My tool, STBLizer, can dump an extracted STBL to .csv format for use in a spreadsheet editor. There are some "templates" in that thread that contain just the keys for career names & descriptions.

I don't use Excel to edit the resulting files though because it breaks multi-line entries, and there are a lot of those in TS3.
Forum Resident
#29 Old 6th Nov 2009 at 9:53 PM
Thanks! That's what I needed.

My cat taught me how to fetch. I throw the toy, she shows me where it landed, and I fetch it.
Test Subject
#30 Old 12th Nov 2009 at 6:01 AM
I made all as said in tutorial. but it doesn't work( I live in Uzbekistan and use Russian version, if yo could, please change name of Mad Scientist (Сумашедший ученый in Russian) to Great Scientist (Великий Ученый ) and Description to:

{0.SimFirstName} купается в лучах заслуженной славы.

Все вокруг знают что вы величайший ученый. Вы помогаете спасти мир от голода, предотвратить все войны, вывести новый вид лам и многое другое! Именно вы продвигаете науку на благо человечества. Вы заслужили это!

Thanx
Test Subject
#31 Old 13th Nov 2009 at 11:08 AM
people, i know you can, please do it(((
Field Researcher
#32 Old 13th Nov 2009 at 12:11 PM
MTS does not allow requests so nobody here can make it for you. You should read through the thread and try the newer tools that are linked, there are better methods to edit the text now than when the tutorial was written, and also check that your mods folder is set up correctly. Since you know the original Russian text I can only assume that you used the right 2-digit language code, but it might be that you edited the wrong language version.
Lab Assistant
#33 Old 23rd Dec 2009 at 11:40 PM
How can I use TS3 STBL Editor since "S3PIDemoFe" that "could" be downloaded here --> http://www.simlogical.com/Sims3Tool...x.php?board=6.0, is not available anymore ?
Field Researcher
#34 Old 24th Dec 2009 at 12:05 AM
S3PIDemoFE is now called S3PE, and it's available in the s3pi sub-forum of this forum (Modding Discussion).
Lab Assistant
#35 Old 24th Dec 2009 at 10:04 AM
Thanks, I found S3PE. But the tutorial doesn't work for me, now. Some things are differents with S3PE...

Someone might do another tutorial...
Me? Sarcastic? Never.
staff: administrator
#36 Old 24th Dec 2009 at 2:03 PM
There is not that much different with s3pe. After a quick read of the tutorial the only noticeable change is the export/import of a resource is no longer under File...but under guess what? Resource. The tutorial appears as if it will work just fine still.
Test Subject
#37 Old 3rd May 2010 at 5:27 AM
stupid vista.........
Lab Assistant
#38 Old 25th May 2010 at 9:26 PM
Both my fullbuild0.package AND my deltabuild0.package files WILL NOT OPEN. Access is denied. What does this MEAN? I read somewhere that with Vista or something you have to go into your system and enable... something... so that access is granted. But I have NO idea where I saw that or how to go about it. Someone, PLEASE help!
Me? Sarcastic? Never.
staff: administrator
#39 Old 25th May 2010 at 10:50 PM
This is basic windows security for anything in Program Files. You should not be working with your original files anyway since you may actually screw something up and you would have to reinstall. Copy the necessary files to somewhere you have user access and go from there.
Lab Assistant
#40 Old 26th May 2010 at 7:45 AM
Quote: Originally posted by HugeLunatic
This is basic windows security for anything in Program Files. You should not be working with your original files anyway since you may actually screw something up and you would have to reinstall. Copy the necessary files to somewhere you have user access and go from there.

Yeah, thanks, I figured it out with a little more research and came back to edit my recent post. I've renamed all the titles in the Military career to reflect the USMC, which is what I set out to do in the first place, but I got sidetracked and started changing all sorts of things, so I didn't get around to it in time I suppose. Thank you so much anyway, usually people don't respond to people with dumb questions (like mine).
Lab Assistant
#41 Old 11th Jul 2010 at 1:41 PM
I noticed texts on some buttons in the game went missing after modding, but the texts are back now when i've removed the mod from mods/packages.. I've followed everything the OP says.. any suggestions??

formerly known as DollyL
Test Subject
#42 Old 24th Jul 2010 at 2:06 AM
mine says this please help
Could not open package:
C:\Program Files\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\GameData\Shared\Packages\DeltaBuild0.package
Front-end Distribution: 1006-12-1808
Library Distribution: 1006-12-1808
Source: mscorlib
Assembly: mscorlib, Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089
Access to the path 'C:\Program Files\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\GameData\Shared\Packages\DeltaBuild0.package' is denied.
at System.IO.__Error.WinIOError(Int32 errorCode, String maybeFullPath)

at System.IO.FileStream.Init(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, Int32 rights, Boolean useRights, FileShare share, Int32 bufferSize, FileOptions options, SECURITY_ATTRIBUTES secAttrs, String msgPath, Boolean bFromProxy)

at System.IO.FileStream..ctor(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, FileShare share)

at s3pi.Package.Package.OpenPackage(Int32 APIversion, String PackagePath, Boolean readwrite)

at S3PIDemoFE.MainForm.MainForm_PackageFilenameChanged(Object sender, EventArgs e)
-----
Lab Assistant
#43 Old 16th Oct 2010 at 5:01 AM
Quote: Originally posted by kieryn
mine says this please help
Could not open package:
C:\Program Files\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\GameData\Shared\Packages\DeltaBuild0.package
Front-end Distribution: 1006-12-1808
Library Distribution: 1006-12-1808
Source: mscorlib
Assembly: mscorlib, Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089
Access to the path 'C:\Program Files\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\GameData\Shared\Packages\DeltaBuild0.package' is denied.
at System.IO.__Error.WinIOError(Int32 errorCode, String maybeFullPath)

at System.IO.FileStream.Init(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, Int32 rights, Boolean useRights, FileShare share, Int32 bufferSize, FileOptions options, SECURITY_ATTRIBUTES secAttrs, String msgPath, Boolean bFromProxy)

at System.IO.FileStream..ctor(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, FileShare share)

at s3pi.Package.Package.OpenPackage(Int32 APIversion, String PackagePath, Boolean readwrite)

at S3PIDemoFE.MainForm.MainForm_PackageFilenameChanged(Object sender, EventArgs e)
-----

Mine said the same thing also when I was trying to follow the tut. The bad thing is they don't tell you what to do in these kinds of mods when you should come across these kinds of messages and warnings when it comes to modding your game. I don't know why that is. You wanna know what I did, though? My husband (who is a computer whiz) told me that its the security from the game and the computer program files that is protecting you from messing something up (especially in your game). So he told me to copy those files that I want to mod and then save it to the desktop or to my document folder and then open it from there. My modding has worked so far for me...maybe you can try that out too.
Test Subject
#44 Old 24th Nov 2010 at 5:18 PM
Hey,

I know this thread is very old, but I'm interested in creating my own career. I wanted to create a medieval village and therefore I need new careers.

But I can't find the file “ENG_US”. I think it could have another name in a German installed game, but I couldn't found a file that could be this one for Germany.

I hope there is someone who can help me.

And I'm sorry, because of my bad English. I'm from Germany

Greets

Verena
Test Subject
#45 Old 16th Jun 2011 at 9:54 PM
Default Career
I can not seem to find the military career files. i want to switch the names to the ranks in the navy. Can some one please help.
#46 Old 20th Nov 2011 at 12:18 AM
I haven't really found any questions or references to this, but is it possible to this on a Mac? If so, I don't suppose anyone would be willing to give me step-by-step instructions on how to do this.

Thanks!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#47 Old 9th Feb 2012 at 9:19 AM
Well this thread is old, and its very out dated now. Theres so many more programs available now, and so many more possibilities.

Im going to re-write the tutorial with some latest info and general how to do stuff for beginner modders, as the thread keeps popping up now and again, and no one seems to have wrote a careers tutorial on here thats easily readable by newbies.
Lab Assistant
#48 Old 15th Apr 2012 at 9:39 PM
Can you create professions, as well?
I was wondering if this has since been modified to maybe include professions. I'm not sure if you can do that or not. I know you can create new careers because the sims would enter a rabbit hole, so it would be much simpler, but can you create a new profession based off of, say, a singer?

Whoever can help, you are infinitely lovely and wonderful. Many thanks and much appreciation ahead of time. :lovestruc
Test Subject
#49 Old 22nd Apr 2012 at 2:10 AM
I am having the same problem as TanyaTurner! Is there any modern resource to help me (and maybe her) two years later?
Field Researcher
#50 Old 22nd Apr 2012 at 4:13 AM
Creon updated the guide. Checkout http://modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=469640 and if you still have problems then you should post there.
Page 2 of 3