Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
#251 Old 4th Mar 2005 at 12:34 AM
Yay!! I also downloaded SimPE version 1.5 and now my mesh works to finally I can stop pulling my hair out.
Advertisement
Test Subject
#252 Old 4th Mar 2005 at 1:00 AM
yah....when i opened installed plugins,there says there is no GMdc Wrapper..help!
Test Subject
#253 Old 4th Mar 2005 at 2:16 AM
Quote: Originally posted by jpaul
I am also using the v0.9.29.
My sugestion was, to check if this is comming from the contain of your obj file, to try to load in MTS2 the file exported by SimPE without modification and check if you have thye popup windw.
What kind of modeler do you use ?
I, I have tryed with Wings3D and Blender.
There is no problems during the tuto except that I have to load the file in notepad to change the o bottom|body|top line to gbottom|body|top and of course excep^t also that the result is a modified mesh but not exactly the one that I want.
I have made my test with a bottom.

But for me the tuto is Ok.
Jpaul

MTS2 behaved the same towards both the original OBJ and the edited OBJ, the files load normally in Milkshape, the only modeler I use.
Field Researcher
#254 Old 4th Mar 2005 at 8:57 AM
I seem to be having problems with body meshing using SimPE 0.22 and then with 0.25, I pretty much have this method down pat, are there changes in the two later versions to this process that I've missed because my temp skin isn't showing up before the mesh editing stage and I seriously haven't done anything wrong as far as this method goes, if indeed it is applicable to these later versions.

www.parsimonious.org
Artists - Get your own Studio! Always be featured!
Lab Assistant
#255 Old 4th Mar 2005 at 3:06 PM
*Pistachio*
I am going to say that the problems have got to be related to the later versions of SimPE.... I've had the same problems as well.. no temp skin and no changes to my mesh....actually kinda frustrating to say the least.

What is funny is that if I go into SimPE where you can preview the object, I can see my altered mesh in the package, but it isn't showing in BodyShop or in the game.

I uninstalled the newer version of SimPE and installed the later version. I haven't had a chance to test it out, but others seem to be having the same sort of problems with the later version of SimPE. Until it is dealt with, I'm going to say use the 1.5 version of SimPE
Field Researcher
#256 Old 4th Mar 2005 at 3:40 PM
Well I'm glad its not just me lol, I was starting to worry :smash: I'm going to go back to the earlier one and see if that helps, I can live without the better OW functions if I can make some more meshes and have a stab at some object meshing (since the only complete tut I can find is for 0.15!).

www.parsimonious.org
Artists - Get your own Studio! Always be featured!
Nearly alive
#257 Old 4th Mar 2005 at 4:02 PM
I know a lot of people are having problems with the newer versions of SimPE , I have been really busy the last couple of weeks, so haven`t had much time to spend tracking down the problems , so at the moment I can`t say what it is, I do know that sometimes a object I clone and replace the gmdc file in will work and other times a cloned object won`t without there seeming to be any differences in the packages.

So I guess as has been said, for now it`s best to use a older version of simpe, untill the problems are found.
Test Subject
#258 Old 4th Mar 2005 at 4:53 PM Last edited by MisterV : 4th Mar 2005 at 6:19 PM.
Well, real life always gets in the way :D

I'll just wait until a newer version

EDIT: nvm, there was a change, but...uh, it's not what I wanted it to do
Screenshots
Test Subject
#259 Old 5th Mar 2005 at 12:55 PM
Does this version SimPE version 1.5 make expansion compatible objects?
Test Subject
#260 Old 5th Mar 2005 at 3:11 PM
Quote: Originally posted by SharonQ27
Does this version SimPE version 1.5 make expansion compatible objects?

No you have to get the plugin (link at the begnining of the tuto brings you to a forum and the first post have it as attachement).
Jpaul
Test Subject
#261 Old 5th Mar 2005 at 3:15 PM
Well I have tried to use the SimPE 1.5 with Wings3D and have exactly the same problem.
Then I have tried still with SimPE 1.5 to user milkshape to modify the obj file and it looks much better.
I Am afraid that Wings3D and Blender are modifying the obj file in a way that is not compatible with the tools of this tuto.
Did anyone succced in modifying a shape with Wings3D or Blender ?
Jpaul
Lab Assistant
#262 Old 5th Mar 2005 at 3:30 PM
hey guys iv been trying to make this mesh lately and its not exactly going the way i want it to go. After following the whole tutoiral here on geting the mesh to be difrent at the end the mesh never changed, but in SimPE when i preview he mesh the editted mesh shows up. whats goin on? can anyone help me im posting the file too in case anyone wants to at lest look at it

one of you guys told me to do a search and i couldn't find anything, if im wrong and this has been looked and solved before please tell me
Attached files:
File Type: zip  FMtopshoeFlareMesh.zip (108.0 KB, 19 downloads) - View custom content

Andrew Shields My personal portfolio

Andrew Shields Facebook Page <3
Lab Assistant
#263 Old 5th Mar 2005 at 5:27 PM
forwardmotionis-
That is the exact problem that I have been having. What version of SimPE are you using?
Nearly alive
#264 Old 5th Mar 2005 at 5:57 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Forwardmotionis
hey guys iv been trying to make this mesh lately and its not exactly going the way i want it to go. After following the whole tutoiral here on geting the mesh to be difrent at the end the mesh never changed, but in SimPE when i preview he mesh the editted mesh shows up. whats goin on? can anyone help me im posting the file too in case anyone wants to at lest look at it

one of you guys told me to do a search and i couldn't find anything, if im wrong and this has been looked and solved before please tell me

As you only included one of the package files, it`s not possible to see if the links in the other package are correctly pointing to this package. With body meshes (using the process in this tutorial) the two packages are needed for a mesh to show up.
Lab Assistant
#265 Old 5th Mar 2005 at 6:10 PM
Hey, I just noticed that I was doing something wrong, and would like to point it out to those who are having problems with the newer version of SimPE....

I was going through the tutorial, and I got to step 18 and decided to check step 3 like it says.... well (doh) I wasn't opening: my documents/ea games/the sims 2/saved sims/*project name*/*file* I was using : my documents/ea games/the sims 2/projects/*project name*/*file*.....

If you are like me, and kinda went through the tut expecting that I was experienced enough to just kinda glance at the instructions.... and made this error.....

So, there may not be a problem with SimPE, I'll have to test with both versions of it.....but needless to say.....pay very careful attention to the specified files!

(I so feel like a newbie at this now!)
Test Subject
#266 Old 5th Mar 2005 at 9:59 PM
well, I do pay attention, all my files are named uniquely...cant make a mistake on that :D
If it was that...but its not :fallen:
Lab Assistant
#267 Old 6th Mar 2005 at 12:34 AM
Here is what I have discovered:
The new version of SimPE (if you do everything correctly) will result in an "unchanged" mesh when going into body shop after all the steps are followed.

If you get the red and white outfit- you forgot to import the temporary texture in part 1.

I used the earlier version of SimPE (1.5 located here:
http://sims.ambertation.de/files/SimPe_015.rar )
and it worked perfectly.

I hope that some of this information helps. As for me.... I will be using 1.5 until whatever is causing the problems is fixed. Miche indicated that he (or she) hasn't been able to address this problem yet.

Off to attempt to create some beautiful meshes (I hope)
Test Subject
#268 Old 6th Mar 2005 at 8:45 AM
0.15 does not work...tried again and again, and again...the mesh is just exploded. when I point the temp skin to the mesh in part 4 of the tutorial, with SimPE 0.14 it remains unchanged, with 0.15 - exploded.

Best results are achieved with Import UV's and Overwrite names UNchecked, the front is quite ok, but the back is still exploded. I tried Normalize UV's, some smoothening - nothing...

Doesn't anybody use Maya here or something?
Test Subject
#269 Old 6th Mar 2005 at 2:14 PM Last edited by jpaul : 6th Mar 2005 at 2:26 PM. Reason: picture missing
Quote: Originally posted by MisterV
0.15 does not work...tried again and again, and again...the mesh is just exploded. when I point the temp skin to the mesh in part 4 of the tutorial, with SimPE 0.14 it remains unchanged, with 0.15 - exploded.

Best results are achieved with Import UV's and Overwrite names UNchecked, the front is quite ok, but the back is still exploded. I tried Normalize UV's, some smoothening - nothing...

Doesn't anybody use Maya here or something?

Well now I am quite shure that the exploded mesh problem is due to the modeler program.
I have tried with Wings 3D and Blender (see attachment Wings is at left and Blender is at right)
- with blender the result is an exploded Mesh
- with wings 3D the result is closed from the one I expect but when vertices must be at the same place (as it is the case for the seams : look at the hole on the skirt just below the hand) there may be a a hole...

Earlier I have made one test with MilkShape and the result was OK (but unfortunately milkshape id not free).

So now I am looking for a free 3D modeler program that is compatible with the Sims (this tutorial and the tools used in it). If it exists !!!
I am still testing with SimPE 1.5 I will go back to the last version.

Jpaul
Screenshots
Lab Assistant
#270 Old 6th Mar 2005 at 2:40 PM
im still having my problem for the skin that i put here (well half of it) that was the problem but as soon as i fixed it nothing happend still same old maxis made mesh i have no ideal but id love to mesh for the game i have meshes just laying around to be made!!

Andrew Shields My personal portfolio

Andrew Shields Facebook Page <3
Test Subject
#271 Old 6th Mar 2005 at 6:22 PM
A 3D program compatible with The Sims 2?! Hang on a sec, the game was created on Maya 5! WTF :weep:

And how you get all those progs (illegal, I presume...)
Test Subject
#272 Old 6th Mar 2005 at 7:15 PM
Default editting progs
hi i was posting just to let people know my steps i use to get models back into the sims after editing as most people seem to have probs
with this set of steps you can modifly the 3d structure of a mesh but not the uv layout
also i can be a little vage in my discriptions so bear wityh me

step 1 export from sim pe to obj

step 2 import to milkshape (free for download and use for 30 days ) don't change a thing export name file body
(don't weld don't move don't change any groups just import then export )

step 3 import to favorite prog zbrush as it lends to this very well great set of tools for changeing the form of a mesh with out adding or modifying the number of vert's relitively cheap for the power of it
move verts till you are happy watch out as some of the tools inzbrush will cause leaks or gaps in the skin so be carefull then export name as body.obj

step 4 as zbrush handles .obj's in a way that the MTS mesh tool hates
import the obj we exported from zbrush or your favorite prog

step 5 look to see that there is only 1 group called body in milkshape
and that there is no material assined to the group if there is delete it

step 6 eport from milkshape as a .obj now we have a mesh that MTS MESH TOOL can open and read proporlly

step 7 open the mesh tool the load the obj we eported from milk shape that had been modifide in your favorite program ( me i use zbrush )
load the sims 2 mesh
click the settings
look to see if your mesh contains a group body if it does good all worked correctly
click off the check boxes of every thing but verties as modifying the uv and normals get screwed up in zbrush
save the file name it modified mesh.simpe

and import with the tool we know and love SimPE hope this helps as i tried many many combinations of programs importing and exporting the obj man that file foirmat is very broad in its format structure almost every prog I exportedfrom had a differt layout inside (opened in note pad )
i belive the problem is tha the MTS MESH TOOL expects the .obj to have a certin fromat which many progs don't use but i am no programer I can not say for sure thats why but it makes sence to me

any questions on my prosses just ask

EL Bartsch 0
Lab Assistant
#273 Old 6th Mar 2005 at 7:53 PM
Sorry that I can't help any of you out if you're not using Milkshape (I am).

I know that SimPE 1.5 works with Milkshape 1.7.2. I've started editing some meshes with it, and haven't had any difficulties (as long as you follow the steps exactly LOL).

Milkshape is a relatively inexpensive program (about $35 US EUR 25)

I wish all of you luck!
Lab Assistant
#274 Old 6th Mar 2005 at 9:23 PM
Default Help with hair mesh
Hi, I have a question concerning hair mesh. I've created new hair mesh, the problem is, if I edit a chlid hair, all the other ages will have" no hair". How can I fix that. Thanks
nat
Screenshots
Lab Assistant
#275 Old 6th Mar 2005 at 9:28 PM
Hi I'd like some help with hair mesh. How can I fix the problem with the "no hair" in the ages i haven't edited.
Thanks
Nat
Locked thread | Locked by: tiggerypum Reason: Outdated, replacement tutorial posted
Page 11 of 54