Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
#201 Old 27th Feb 2005 at 1:15 AM
You don't have your project folder in your sims folder in the documents
file, do you? My "project" folder is in a dummy file I made up called
simscloth or something like that. It is a real pain to switch back and
forth between all the folders but it is worth it. I just did the
chensogram (spelling) dress.
Sorry, it is hard to figure it out without actually knowing each of
your steps.
Bill
Advertisement
Test Subject
#202 Old 27th Feb 2005 at 1:24 AM
Nope, My project folder isn't in my sims folder. As fas as I can tell I'm doing everything right. I wish I could be more help but I really don't have a clue which part I'm doing wrong. I feel really frustrated at the moment mostley because I can't figure out which part it is that I'm doing wrong.
Test Subject
#203 Old 27th Feb 2005 at 1:46 AM
Hmm.. Ok I just tried all the steps between one and twenty six again and still I get the wrong dress showing up and I'm pretty much ready to give up now. I know for sure I did all the steps right that time.
Test Subject
#204 Old 27th Feb 2005 at 2:11 AM
Did you check and see if your project folder had the same
thing in it that mine did?
If so, then you know that you doing that part right.
I could send you the files from my project and see if
it works in bodyshop.
Other than that, it is hard to figure out what could be wrong.
It might be just one little thing that is throwing everything off.
Bill
Test Subject
#205 Old 27th Feb 2005 at 2:18 AM
Now your really confusing me with all this folder talk. I do have a projects folder on My Documents/Sims 2 but that's not the projects folder I've been saving the dress I've been trying to fix in. I made a new folder outside of my sims 2 folder where I saved all the files for this mesh.
Test Subject
#206 Old 27th Feb 2005 at 2:38 AM
Sorry, didn't mean to do that.
The jpg I posted earlier is one of the "projects" folder that is kept
outside of Sims2. What I have in the pic is what should be in your
folder outside the Sims2. I usually just delete all the stuff in mine
after I alter the mesh and it works.

Then you have the folder call "Saved Sims" which is in the Sims2
folder in your documents section, and you have the package file
that is in your download folder.
And of course there is the project folder that has the .jpg images,
I believe.
Each of the first two in the Sims2 folder (saved Sims and download
package) is less than 1mb. But the one in the project folder is
almost ten but you don't touch it in working with the tutorial.

Bill
Test Subject
#207 Old 27th Feb 2005 at 12:04 PM
Ok now I'm with you again, lol. Yeah! That's what folders I used also. I used the The MeshTutorialTemp file I created in bodyshop from the saved sims folder then I made a MESH file from that file and saved in the downloads folder inside my sims 2 folder all the other files I used while messing with these files were saved in a folder outside of my sims 2 folder. But I still don't get the results I wanted. I start out with the very same dress in the tutorial and like you I even use all the same names as the tutorial but once I've done step 26 and it tells me to go check the file to see if it's grabbing the new mesh I get a different formal dress that's not even the same style dress.
Test Subject
#208 Old 27th Feb 2005 at 12:17 PM
The dress on the left is the one I start with and the dress on the right is what I end up with after trying all 26 steps.
Screenshots

- Sharon
- The Sims Boutique
Test Subject
#209 Old 27th Feb 2005 at 4:46 PM
This webpage is taking forever to load today and I am on cable.

I really don't know what could be the exact problem. Sorry.

Again, I could send you the files that worked for me and
you can compare them. (that is how I solve some of my
problems) But I have to leave for work in a little over
an hour and I don't think the webpage will be loaded by
then. This reply page is still loading.
Must be a lot of people on the website today.
Bill
Test Subject
#210 Old 27th Feb 2005 at 5:48 PM
Default Are you OK whit my french translation of your Tuto ?
Hello,

First of all, I would like to congratulate you, WDS BriAnna, for this great job.
With it, I have done my first Mesh transformation !
As I know that a lot of french Sims players don't understand english, I have made a "free" translation of your tutorial : http://jpnce.free.fr/Sims2/dossiers...hp?id_dossier=1
I hope that you will not see any problem to that (the link to your tuto is at the begining of mine).
Could you please confirm me that you are OK with my translation.

Thanks again for that great job.
Jpaul
Test Subject
#211 Old 27th Feb 2005 at 7:20 PM
Quote: Originally posted by wayneout
This webpage is taking forever to load today and I am on cable.

I really don't know what could be the exact problem. Sorry.

Again, I could send you the files that worked for me and
you can compare them. (that is how I solve some of my
problems) But I have to leave for work in a little over
an hour and I don't think the webpage will be loaded by
then. This reply page is still loading.
Must be a lot of people on the website today.
Bill

Sure if you wouldn't mind sending me your files I'd really appreciate taking a look and comparing my files. I'm at my wits end with it and for some reason I the more I try and fail the more I want to figure this out. I'll send you my email address via private message if that's ok.

- Sharon
- The Sims Boutique
Test Subject
#212 Old 27th Feb 2005 at 9:00 PM
Ah, finally I can give it a try...... (deep sigh)....

Thanks,

Greetz, Essie
Test Subject
#213 Old 28th Feb 2005 at 12:37 AM
* I would've posted this elsewhere but I'm not clear exactly where the problem lies and a search turned up the following in this this thread:
[QUOTE=Big Bad Shar]Although, I have tried to edit the mesh for the slip found in PJs. It's the one that has the extra alpha and texture files. When I edit the mesh, everything looks about the same except there is a region of black on the lower portion of the skirt. I ignored it and edited anyway. Nothing big just made it a bit longer...no vertices clashed. Then when I imported it , it caused body shop to crash and dump three files (dump_object_1; dump_object_2.....) So, I was wondering if there are extra steps to edit this sort of mesh whether it would be in sims PE or milkshape. I tried to edit the slip twice and followed your directions perfectly and got the same crash.
QUOTE]

Any luck on this, Shar? I Just spent the day working on the same mesh with the same tools and have the same problem. Thanks to Brianna's lovely tutorial I've successfully imported enough edited body OBJ's to have the process memorized but this one has me perplexed.

At first glance, it seemed to be an issue with Milkshape and I'm still inclined to think it has something to do with Milkshape and the file format. The reason I say this is the error appears when the OBJ file is exported from Milkshape whether or not it has been edited. The default mesh in question is

afbodyslip_tslocator_gmdc.obj

When imported into Milkshape 3 named object groups are shown and when loading up the Milkshape export into MTSMeshTool via "Load 3D File" the status dialog reports "3 models loaded". However, when the original/unedited/not-exported-from-Milkshape OBJ file is loaded into Mesh Tool the same dialog reports 4 objects (as does the Mesh Tool Settings dialog - see attachment) when the file is left native/original without exporting from Milkshape. As can be seen in the Mesh Tool Settings dialog, it appears that the original afbodyslip_tslocator_gmdc.obj has 2 groups named "body".

I was really hoping to use that mesh as a base for several projects but I'm stumped.

Thanks again to MTS and all the helpful people here.
Screenshots
Lab Assistant
#214 Old 28th Feb 2005 at 2:24 AM
I've successfully gotten to the end of the tutorial using SimPE .19 and Mesh Tool .9.46. My new mesh shows up correctly in the preview in SimPE with the MESH package open.

However, when I open Bodyshop and cycle through the clothing, Bodyshop crashes when it trys to display the thumbnail of the edited dress. I'm using XSI and .obj files.

Any help or hints would be appreciated. Thanks,

- Jay
Lab Assistant
#215 Old 28th Feb 2005 at 3:10 AM
I think there may actually be a problem with the newer versions of SimPE when it comes to editing meshes. I just downloaded the new version .20 and I notice how there are NO HASH NUMBERS in the newly created files. I was trying to edit an adult skirt earlier today, and I've done this enough to know the steps by heart, and it would not show up in BS for the life of me. I even went back and looked at the tutorial and read it step by step as I edited, and still nothing. What happens in BS is that the tumbnail is there, but when you click on it, the mesh that shows up is not the one I edited, instead it was a pair of jeans! I got sooo upset and fustrated that I said f**k it! It's very fustrating, I dont know if it's just me, it's driving me mad!
Lab Assistant
#216 Old 28th Feb 2005 at 3:41 AM
Yes, it can be very frustrating to jump through 32 hoops and get nothing for your effort. Without modding, frankly, Sims 1 and 2 would just not be successful games, IMO. Why Maxis doesn't make it easier for modders to write the modding tools is beyond me. Anyway, the tool writers are doing a fantastic job, despite these problems. The progress has been amazing.
Test Subject
#217 Old 28th Feb 2005 at 10:54 AM
Quote: Originally posted by FoxieRoxieNYC
I think there may actually be a problem with the newer versions of SimPE when it comes to editing meshes. I just downloaded the new version .20 and I notice how there are NO HASH NUMBERS in the newly created files. I was trying to edit an adult skirt earlier today, and I've done this enough to know the steps by heart, and it would not show up in BS for the life of me. I even went back and looked at the tutorial and read it step by step as I edited, and still nothing. What happens in BS is that the tumbnail is there, but when you click on it, the mesh that shows up is not the one I edited, instead it was a pair of jeans! I got sooo upset and fustrated that I said f**k it! It's very fustrating, I dont know if it's just me, it's driving me mad!

That's the same problem I'm having I ws trying to edit the dress in the tutorial but when I go into bodyshop I get the thumbnail for the correct dress till I click on it and then I get a different dress.

- Sharon
- The Sims Boutique
Lab Assistant
#218 Old 28th Feb 2005 at 12:35 PM
Yah I'm not sure why this is happening, it's never happened for me before, so it's alarming and upsetting at the same time. What version of SimPE do you have? I'm wondering if this is contributing to it. I never had any problems before getting the newest version (v.20) and now it's driving me nuts.
Test Subject
#219 Old 28th Feb 2005 at 10:52 PM
SharonQ27 I had your same problem, just change SimPE 020 with SimPe015 and all works fine.

Now, my problem.
I had the problem that Body Shop does not shows me my modified mesh, but shows the original. So I read that Blender (the software that I use) renames the meshes so is necessary rename it with notepad in the line starting with "g". Ok, now it shows me a different mesh, but it's "exploded". I follow every passage of the tutorial, I export the obj, import it in the blender, I modify the mesh, I export the obj, I rename with the notepad, I reimport with MeshTool and then replace Geometric Data Container as the tutorial says.
I have to do other things between these steps? I have to modify the settings of the MeshTool in a particular way? Now the only thing unchecked is "overwrite names".

Could somebody help me?
Please ;(

.... sorry for the english :P
#220 Old 28th Feb 2005 at 11:17 PM
3D ID Referencing File
Not sure if this is where I post my Question at hope its the right. I down loaded and installed SimPE latest 0.19.1877. When I click on 3d ID Referencing File and then go to Plugin View, it white blocks as thou it is working, but then cusior just spins. Then I get a message this program is not responding. :confused:

Thank you NonasArt

You guys are great. :D
Test Subject
#221 Old 28th Feb 2005 at 11:34 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Black_Panther
SharonQ27 I had your same problem, just change SimPE 020 with SimPe015 and all works fine.

Now, my problem.
I had the problem that Body Shop does not shows me my modified mesh, but shows the original. So I read that Blender (the software that I use) renames the meshes so is necessary rename it with notepad in the line starting with "g". Ok, now it shows me a different mesh, but it's "exploded". I follow every passage of the tutorial, I export the obj, import it in the blender, I modify the mesh, I export the obj, I rename with the notepad, I reimport with MeshTool and then replace Geometric Data Container as the tutorial says.
I have to do other things between these steps? I have to modify the settings of the MeshTool in a particular way? Now the only thing unchecked is "overwrite names".

Could somebody help me?
Please ;(

.... sorry for the english :P

My mesh is working now but the swatch pic shows a completly different dress for some reason. Anyway after I tried editing the mesh with milkshape mine also exploded so I guess I should be pleased that I can actually edit the mesh but I'm not sure why it exploded.

- Sharon
- The Sims Boutique
Test Subject
#222 Old 1st Mar 2005 at 12:05 AM
Ok I've actually got the mesh edited just perfect but I still have this problem with the swatch. I've edited the same dress as this tutorial but if you look at the swatch pic it shows a different formal dress, it's not even a dress of the same style is there a way to fix the swatch file?
Screenshots

- Sharon
- The Sims Boutique
Test Subject
#223 Old 1st Mar 2005 at 2:41 AM
Sharon, the swatch/thumbnail is taken from the first time you load the mesh, so if it's not correct or points to another dress that is what will be displayed. if I was to load the final version in my game, I would get whatever the final mesh looked like.

Try taking the files out, then loading BS up again, close and add them to see if it will reload the swatch, if not, you may be able to find a thumbnail file that can be deleted like with objects.
#224 Old 1st Mar 2005 at 7:28 AM
3D ID Referencing file
Hi Just to let anyone interested. I have discovered what has caused Plugin View not to respond once 3D ID Referencing files has been selected. It is Zone Alarm Antivirus program. If I turn off the Antivirus program in Zone Alarm I am able to access the 3D ID Referencing file hmmmm go-figure. Everything else has ran nicely.. again thank you NonasArt SimPE or zone alarm SimPE or zone alarm

I choose SimPE woohoo :bump:
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#225 Old 1st Mar 2005 at 7:38 AM
To reset your thumbnails (previews), you can go into My Documents\EA Games\The Sims 2\Thumbnails and delete the cas thumbnails package.
Locked thread | Locked by: tiggerypum Reason: Outdated, replacement tutorial posted
Page 9 of 54