Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Turquoise Dragon
retired moderator
Original Poster
#1126 Old 13th Apr 2018 at 3:48 AM Last edited by gdayars : 15th Apr 2018 at 6:45 PM.
Default Judge's Scores Round 3

Advertisement
Link Ninja
#1127 Old 13th Apr 2018 at 4:35 AM
Thanks judges! I managed to get a whole point more than last time so as long as I don't go backwards I know I'm improving bit by bit I'm thrilled that overall you guys liked it! Please allow me to address some of your critiques.

Quote:
My only complaint is that the lack of an awning or umbrella in the blazing hot sun would keep me from spending time outside until after dark.

That's a fair assessment. When I first built the house, the roof ended at the wall but I had the same thought so I extended it out about two tiles for some kind of possible shade. I tried different patio umbrellas but in the end, they didn't look very good so I resigned myself to the fact sims likely would 'lounge' out there in the evenings.

Quote:
The exterior of the house is a little disjointed, with the different colors and directions of paneling. Using different colors can be great, but here it clashes rather than blends together. I like the detail of the arches above the entrances to the bedrooms. The floor-height windows are a bit strange, especially the ones in the toilet area. Play-wise I’m not sure about having just one toilet, and making Sims walk the furthest to get to it since it will get the most use.

The different oranges and metal paneling was a direct homage to the house that inspired it, which I thought was beautiful and quirky but hey, that exterior is not everyone's cup of tea I'll agree the toilet probably could have been placed differently. Not so much a problem for two sims but 4 I can agree would start to grumble at waiting in the shower room to enter.

Quote:
Charmful: What an interesting building, I like it a lot. Is the pool built into the foundation and is it usable? My only slight criticism is the curb appeal is low. The front is very plain and the low set windows are almost hidden from view behind rocks and plants. Perhaps some vertical windows could have been used at each end or a row of high set windows used instead to help break it up.

Yes, pool is built into the foundation and is usable, however you have to instruct the sim to climb into the pool via ladder because of the dummy level. I used this tutorial. I didn't make the front of the home especially attractive on purpose because I was trying to stay with the inspired house's overall feel and also emulate a design philosphey by Frank L. Wright about 'prospect and refuge' where occupants had a balance of prospect to see the horizon (out the back where other people were not likely to be peeping in) and then refuge in the form of the bedrooms having the windows where they provided light but didn't let the outside world fully in. And yes, that could have also been accomplished by higher windows; I just thought the lower ones seemed more contrastingly interesting - having sunlight on the floor during the day and artifical light come from the ceiling at night

Uh oh! My social bar is low - that's why I posted today.

The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#1128 Old 13th Apr 2018 at 1:00 PM Last edited by maxon : 13th Apr 2018 at 1:25 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by gdayars
Maxon: Please attach your pictures to the post, it makes judging much easier.

From a judge's comment (I know this wasn't you Gayars) - sorry I didn't realise that was a thing. Did Gayars ask for that on the first page? I must have missed it. I was using modyourpanties because it's easier to spoiler pictures (as we are required to do).

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
Constant Contestant
retired moderator
#1129 Old 13th Apr 2018 at 2:35 PM
Yes I use MYP to attach the pics and then attach them to the post.

Want a specific style of house or community building? Why not take a look at my profile and see what I build and then come ask me to make it!
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#1130 Old 13th Apr 2018 at 2:50 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Karen Lorraine
Yes I use MYP to attach the pics and then attach them to the post.

You can do that? Or do you mean you use MYP and attach the pics as well?

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
Link Ninja
#1131 Old 13th Apr 2018 at 3:12 PM
I think what happens is MYP acts as file host so you can put pics in the body of the post but then in addition you can upload your images as attachments to the post from your computer. Way back during round one I think Jo or Gummi or both said they could see images better as attachments for judging purposes.

The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#1132 Old 13th Apr 2018 at 4:25 PM
If it's a requirement though it needs to be on the front page. I've not read every post in the thread.

Link Ninja
#1133 Old 13th Apr 2018 at 6:26 PM
It's not a requirement. However if a judge can't see something in detail points can be lost, it just depends on the judge's preferences I guess.

Turquoise Dragon
retired moderator
Original Poster
#1134 Old 13th Apr 2018 at 9:44 PM
Right it isn't a requirement. I guess the pictures are clearer if you attach them that way? I honestly didn't remember the conversation so very glad Charmful did! Like she said, it isn't a requirement but if a judge can't make something out, then it becomes an issue.

My mind these days..
Toaster Strudel Addict
retired moderator
#1135 Old 13th Apr 2018 at 9:58 PM
When pics are inline, they are auto resized. If you attach them directly to the thread they can be clicked on to see full size. Which doesn't matter if your pics are the same size as they appear inline, but it often helps to see things more clearly So just strongly suggested.
Turquoise Dragon
retired moderator
Original Poster
#1136 Old 13th Apr 2018 at 11:33 PM
Thank you for clarifying. Like I said my mind.... :P
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#1137 Old 14th Apr 2018 at 1:01 AM
It depends. If your pictures, especially floor plans show up large and clear I would not bother checking the attached, but if it is somewhat harder to see I would click the attached one. I had no issues this round with anybody's pictures.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Turquoise Dragon
retired moderator
Original Poster
#1138 Old 14th Apr 2018 at 3:09 AM
Ok the contestant scores are done I will do the play alongs tomorrow

Hopefully we will be celebrating a house as well! I believe we will but should know tomorrow for sure!

Edited to add.... Countdown timer has been updated, and the link to contestant scores has been added, and the lot info has been updated as well
Mad Poster
#1139 Old 14th Apr 2018 at 4:10 AM Last edited by CatherineTCJD : 14th Apr 2018 at 4:37 PM.
Thank you Judges 1 and 2. You made me smile and want to keep plugging away at it. I needed your encouraging words
Judge 3 - not so much...
Quote:
Judge 3 said: Gorgeous landscaping! I’m not sure about the choice of that modular stair in terms of theme-appropriateness, but the foliage and the shape of the house is spot-on. When it comes to the interior there are some weird choices made that don’t quite fit the atmosphere. The rooms do look rather asian, but the entrance floor significantly less so. The windows, the wallpaper, the choices in furniture is rather jumbled in that area. The restaurant is very pretty, and the aquarium very creative.

Please ~ support my TS2 habit! Shop at my Etsy shops:
CatherinesJewelry ~ Artisan Jewelry
Catherine's MOUSE ~ Up/Recycled Jewelry
and Vintage Stuffeths
Mad Poster
#1140 Old 14th Apr 2018 at 5:24 AM Last edited by Justpetro : 14th Apr 2018 at 5:34 AM.
Thank you, Judges.

Jude 1: The answer to all your questions is : No. Accommodation in the tourism industry here is always very western, but there are often wall murals by local artists of the various groups. (I said the walls are a tribute to the rock art of the San, not that the lot is a tribute to them). Wooden flooring has been used in the Kalahari because it protects the feet from the heat of the sand and often there are bridges connecting the units as well. The San did not make clay floors or build huts like other tribes, they migrated all the time, hunting, and slept under the stars or under rocks. Since rondavels are almost always built with concrete, the stargazing tower fits in my opinion. Perhaps I should attach an example of whatever I am building in the future.
Judge 2: Thank you. I actually downloaded some bunker beds, but they did not show up in my game. As these are backpackers' huts, they can be glad the got a bathroom in there
Judge 3: Thank you, I understand your point. I may not fully agree with that, but I think it is fair. I would like to know why I am losing half a point for playability, though - since the lot did not present a single problem. I find it hard because I am never told why I lose points for playability when I know everything works.
Mad Poster
#1141 Old 14th Apr 2018 at 6:46 AM Last edited by gazania : 14th Apr 2018 at 4:09 PM.
And playability is a HUGE point with hotels. Not only Freezy ... I've said 'nuff about that pest ... but if you don't design a hotel correctly, you can also have concierge/bellhop issues, as justpetro experienced, no Sim tourists, and "shuttle dispatch" messages that send your Sim back without so much as a cheap souvenir. Effective hotels can be tough, and personally, I think that anyone who tackled one and tried to meet the basic requirements (including LOTS of room, a simpler layout ... better a little boxy or plain than cluttered and obstructive in the case of hotels), etc. etc. ... honestly, d_dgjdhh put it much better in his tutorial than I could .. oh, and got it all to work ... should get an extra point right then and there. In the future, I recommend anyone tackling a hotel take a peek at the tutorial. It's very informative, also covering such points as restaurant tables.

http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=530550

Oh, and that reminds me ... I have some things to add. (Added) Hotel-building tips seem to be a work in progress.

I recommend in future contests ... not just this one ... that contestants and playalongs include their inspiration pictures, if they have one. I did for the last round, and will for this round. Someone else here did as well (I would need to check who ... sorry!). I deliberately did not make exact copies in either case, but I hope judges could see where I'm going with the look. I recommend that if judges have a question, they might want to quickly take a look at the inspiration picture. Why is there a big tower in the middle of the room? Why is one awning leaning to the left?

I also suggest that many building styles are fusion styles. From time to time, real-life buildings combine older and newer features. I see it all the time in real-life house plans.

Lastly, if you're basing your build on a real person's needs or tastes, you might even want to include something about them as well.

As always, though, I do not envy the judges. Those lots in the previous round were ALL excellent. All of them.

Thanks to ALL free-site creators, admins and mods.

RIP Sunni ... truly a ray of light.
Top Secret Researcher
#1142 Old 14th Apr 2018 at 8:15 AM
Apparently too much space is a "playability" issue as well.
Mad Poster
#1143 Old 14th Apr 2018 at 8:33 AM
I feel that if a judge thinks there is a playability issue, it should be explained. How can I fix whatever is bothering them if I don't know and if I don't find any issue at all with a lot? I am regularly using half a point for that and since I play way more than I build, I don't know what to do about that anymore.

I can accept it if a judge thinks my lot is not unique enough (even if I don't agree) or that I built "too basic" (even if I used more CFE on this lot than on the previous 2 together and the tower wasn't all that easy) - that is an opinion and I don't have to agree with that.

But I can't accept that there is a playability problem without an explanation. There are no routing issues on that lot, everything worked and Sims used everyting - the pic shows some swimming, one lying in the hammock, 2 playing chess besides the stargazing one - so I feel I have a right to ask.
Mad Poster
#1144 Old 14th Apr 2018 at 4:27 PM
Apparently Petro, your Kalahari Stargazer Huts and my fish bowl restaurant have been done many, many times before... there's nothing unique about them at all any more. *sigh*

"This is a beginner's contest" - didn't I read that somewhere? - so how can building something too basic loose you points?

and Vintage Stuffeths
Mad Poster
#1145 Old 14th Apr 2018 at 6:31 PM Last edited by gazania : 15th Apr 2018 at 8:25 PM.
And sometimes, basic and simple works. Think of that classic little black dress, or minimalist architecture styles as you might see here: http://www.yr-architecture.com/5-ch...-house-designs/. Sometimes, minimalist fashion or designs can be very challenging because you are trying to make a statement with so few items.

This is probably another reason I suggest that contestants in future contests submit inspiration photos if a building, style or design influenced their entry, and that judges take a quick peek at them. I have never judged and would make a wretched one, so perhaps I shouldn't talk. But I would love to get into contestants' heads a little if I ever judged (again, not likely I would). See where they were going with the design, close my eyes, take a deep breath, and try to see mentally what they might have been attempting to achieve. If they were going tiny or minimal with a build, how well did they do in that context? If going minimal, did they emphasize line and detail, making it the focus of a room? Did they make a unified flow from area to area? If it was created to fit a personality, well, that will be subjective on my part, but can I imagine this person as well in my mind?

If there is a cultural context, I would be the first to admit there is much I don't know about cultures, even in my own country. (U.S.) If someone is trying to emulate a certain style or culture, I would probably Google it quickly to get an idea of what I'm supposed to be looking for. Heck, I'd probably even Google a Cape Cod, since I have the memory of a sieve! And I grew up in a Cape Cod! Again, though, I would realize that fusion is a thing. People often build on an older lot, keeping details they like. You'll sometimes see this when people renovate Craftsman houses, at least ... if you believe home and garden networks!

Anyway, again, I don't envy judges. They have a tough job in these contests.

Mad Poster
#1146 Old 14th Apr 2018 at 6:38 PM
Quote: Originally posted by CatherineTCJD
Apparently Petro, your Kalahari Stargazer Huts and my fish bowl restaurant have been done many, many times before... there's nothing unique about them at all any more. *sigh*

"This is a beginner's contest" - didn't I read that somewhere? - so how can building something too basic loose you points?

Perhaps we should go and drink fish bowls in the Kalahari.
My next lot may be seen as celebrating colonialism. I am going to drink to that
Screenshots
Mad Poster
#1147 Old 14th Apr 2018 at 6:47 PM Last edited by gazania : 14th Apr 2018 at 7:17 PM.
Um ... mine might as well.

This is a tropical lot. If you believe Maxis' interpretation, that means ruins, pirates and hotels. I'm imagining "A Pirate's Life for Me!" whenever I see Twiikii now!

But my entry doesn't have a ruin, hut or pirate in sight. It's based on an actual building in Mexico, though I expanded and expounded on it from there, so if any members feel I did something insensitive to the actual style of the building, I truly apologize. Such has never been my intent with any culture. I just thought this building was so, so strikingly pretty when I saw it, and when I did, I realized this was the building I wanted to inspire me. I apologize for any clumsiness when bringing my lot to life, and will include a link to see the actual inspiration so others may also appreciate it as it actually is.

Anyway, though, the building does show a colonization era. I see cultures as changing and adapting to historical circumstances, adopting influences from ruling tribes and countries. These influences are clearly apparent in the art, music, architecture and literature of many countries, and I don't see it as always bad or good. It's history. It's how we change, whether for better or worse.

Mad Poster
#1148 Old 14th Apr 2018 at 7:05 PM
I need a horse.
Anybody got a linksie for a good horse "statue" - it doesn't need to be rideable. It will only be in my test-game long enough to take pictures for the next round's entry. I really don't want to deal with adding NPCs to my game... but, as it's just my test-game, I guess that wouldn't really matter. Right? I know I had a few horses at one time, but now I can't find them

Thanksies

and Vintage Stuffeths
Mad Poster
#1149 Old 14th Apr 2018 at 7:33 PM Last edited by gazania : 14th Apr 2018 at 7:46 PM.
Oh, crud. I SAW a great horse statue while looking for something totally different, but of course, I can't remember where I saw it! I want to say TSR or kativip's site (but be careful with that, because it's pretty ad-heavy, and an ad or two can slip though an adblocker.) Or PBK.

EDIT ... Kativip has some lovely ones: http://kativip.ucoz.ru/load/kativip...s_city/7-1-0-87

HOWEVER (draws breath), though I've used that site for many years without incident, something always makes me nervous about it. For one thing, when you hit the Box link, you get a page verifying whether you're a robot or not. I have NEVER seen that with Box downloads. I cannot believe I'm going to write this, but I actually use Mediafire if I download anything from the site. Better safe than sorry.

I've seen pop-ups slip through, even with adblocking. Kativip's stuff is wonderful. Impeccably detailed, and I have a lot of it in my game. But my policy is to get in there, take exactly what I want, and go. Oh, and do an AV scan afterward, just in case.

http://kativip.ucoz.ru/load/kativip...s_city/7-1-0-87

Don't be too floored by my arty picture-taking. Really. Restrain your awe.

Again, I've never had a malware issue with that site. But it seems a little off to me.

(And thank you! I loaded these on my test machine, but will move them to my game machine later. I am NOT going to do it again. )

And there is nothing like going through tons of CC windows for hours, picking one, realizing that in reality, you would NEVER see it on this sort of building, and realizing there was a Maxis window that will do a far, far better job. I need a recolor of it, though. Time to hunt after the AV scan.
Screenshots

The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#1150 Old 14th Apr 2018 at 7:51 PM
Quote: Originally posted by CatherineTCJD
I need a horse.
Anybody got a linksie for a good horse "statue" - it doesn't need to be rideable. It will only be in my test-game long enough to take pictures for the next round's entry. I really don't want to deal with adding NPCs to my game... but, as it's just my test-game, I guess that wouldn't really matter. Right? I know I had a few horses at one time, but now I can't find them

Thanksies

There's always Dragon Slave's oldie but goodie:
http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=257255
I've always liked those - I have a neighbourhood deco version which I used a lot, especially round stable lots. There's more recolours of those meshes than you can shake a stick at too - and some adaptions of the mesh around to make hunters and draft horses.

Page 46 of 59