Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 23rd Jul 2021 at 9:52 AM
Default Which OS is best to play Sims 4 on?
Which operating system is best to play Sims 4? Is Windows 7 good enough to play The Sims 4 on or is Windows 10 good enough to play The Sims 4 on?

Also why did EA have The Sims 4 go from 32 bit to 64 bit in the first place?
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 23rd Jul 2021 at 5:21 PM
I play 4 on this desktop which is still at 7 and play on my laptop which is 10. It plays well on both.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 23rd Jul 2021 at 6:32 PM
Quote: Originally posted by daisylee
I play 4 on this desktop which is still at 7 and play on my laptop which is 10. It plays well on both.

Take it you have Wndows 7 64 bit huh? Still find it weird EA had to go from 32 bit to 64 bit like what's up with that?
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#4 Old 23rd Jul 2021 at 7:23 PM
Why do you find it weird? Why would they NOT go to 64bit? I was surprised when they released Sims 4 and it wasn't 64bit.
Mad Poster
#5 Old 24th Jul 2021 at 4:08 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Gargoyle Cat
These same rules apply to TS4, but to tell people that one would think a cat turd was placed under their nose. I don't know if these people think magic gnomes are going to come and clean things up for them or what, but one should not wait for the gnomes. One has to physically clean all the garbage out otherwise it is going to cause problems.

Totally right. I run 3 on this ancient PC, probably 10 years old now, Windows 7. I have everything other than K Perry. It plays beautifully. Because I use overwatch and error trap, clean caches, nuke bad CC, etc.

These games need to be maintained to run well.
Scholar
#6 Old 24th Jul 2021 at 4:30 AM
Can you imagine running TS4 with every pack with only 4GIG of RAM what 32bit is limited to, best guess they when to 32 to 64bit was they decided to expand the game further than originally intended, at the time of release a great number were still using Windows XP SP3, and later 32bit OS. Sales would of suffered greatly had it been 64bit only release back in 2014.
Forum Resident
#7 Old 24th Jul 2021 at 6:08 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Citysim
Can you imagine running TS4 with every pack with only 4GIG of RAM what 32bit is limited to, best guess they when to 32 to 64bit was they decided to expand the game further than originally intended, at the time of release a great number were still using Windows XP SP3, and later 32bit OS. Sales would of suffered greatly had it been 64bit only release back in 2014.

And yet due to Simulation Lag and the like (which they are supposedly trying to fix) the game still doesn't run any better than it did or seemingly is able to handle any more than it could under 32 bit. Less, it seems, as time goes on.

That's very much the likely reason they bothered to update TS4 to 64 bit at all. If they hadn't have by now, the engine held together by band aids and duct tape would've probably choked under the pressure by now.

You have been chosen. They will come soon.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#8 Old 24th Jul 2021 at 6:48 AM
Quote: Originally posted by daisylee
Totally right. I run 3 on this ancient PC, probably 10 years old now, Windows 7. I have everything other than K Perry. It plays beautifully. Because I use overwatch and error trap, clean caches, nuke bad CC, etc.

These games need to be maintained to run well.

I have the NRaas mods working for mine too, minus one of them over I need to update the game to its final update, I think, to let that one mod work then The Sims 3 will be a perfectly working game with no world errors. Sadly, I can't do that now over this PC's CD drive doesn't work anymore.
Smeg Head
#9 Old 24th Jul 2021 at 2:51 PM
When Sims 4 Mac version was released - about a year after Windows version - it had to be 64 because all the new Mac machines will only run 64, they no longer accept 32 programs. To stop Windows players complaining that Mac players are getting a better, superior version of TS4, EA upped the 32 Windows version to 64. Not simply because the game needed it - which it did because 32 is last century tech and no triple AAA game should be single thread nor 32 in this day and age [looking at you Stellaris] - but because it would just not be right to sell a 32 Windows version while also selling a 64 Mac version.

The same rules should actually also apply to the recent TS3 64 update for Mac players, that a 64 Windows update should also be provided. But EA won't, because TS3 is not their main Sims title, so go suck on it TS3 Windows players.

"Become a government informer. Betray your family and friends. Fabulous prizes to be won!" Red Dwarf - Back to Reality.

Find all my TS4 mods and lots here: Main Website - simsasylum.com My Section - coolspear's Mods & Lots
Forum Resident
#10 Old 24th Jul 2021 at 3:33 PM
^ The 64 bit update was at the end of 2015, same year the Mac version released. The whole thing with Macs only being 64 bit now wasn't a thing until 2018 with the release of Mojave. It's the last version to support 32 bit.

Smeg Head
#11 Old 24th Jul 2021 at 3:55 PM
Certainly, but I'm sure EA would have known that was an inevitability for the Mac, so they went straight to 64 with Mac version sooner rather than later, knowing they'll still be pushing TS4 as the main Sims title in 2018, so let's get the Mac and Windows version 64 and out of the way before the inevitability makes it.. inevitable, and there'll be a hell of a lot more packs to have to convert in 2018 than in 2015.

"Become a government informer. Betray your family and friends. Fabulous prizes to be won!" Red Dwarf - Back to Reality.

Find all my TS4 mods and lots here: Main Website - simsasylum.com My Section - coolspear's Mods & Lots
Forum Resident
#12 Old 24th Jul 2021 at 4:18 PM
Good point.

Instructor
#13 Old 29th Jul 2021 at 9:50 PM
It was one of the first PC games to be tested to work with Windows 10 as I remember. So that is probably why I don't have many problems playing it now. I play it at 144 FPS but not sure whether it needs it or not.

I think those playing it with Windows 7 and 8 will get more and more problems as time goes on.
Lab Assistant
#14 Old 30th Jul 2021 at 10:46 AM
Windows 10 seems ideal.

I'm seriously worried about Windows 11 and the death of general computing.
Scholar
#15 Old 30th Jul 2021 at 6:04 PM
just skip windows 11, most did it with Vista, and 8 and everything worked out just fine.