Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 21st Mar 2022 at 2:50 PM Last edited by Odduck : 8th Apr 2022 at 5:28 PM.
Default Custom moodlet doesn't show up (Mod Constructor v4)
Hi! I'm currently playing around with "Mod Constructor", and I encountered a problem with the mod I'm trying to make.

Have to say right away — I'm very new to modding, so I'm sure I'm missing something super basic and obvious, but I can't seem to figure it out myself.
What I want from my mod: every time a vampire drinks from a plasma pack, they receive a custom moodlet.

So this is what I did: I used "Loot Injector" function of "Mod Constructor", picked "204642 <<< loot_Commodity_Motive_Vampire_Thirst_Fill" from the list, added a buff to this loot, set buff's test conditions on "Interactions running" > "153464 <<< Drink (consumable_Drink_NonBar_PlasmaPack)", created new buff's conditions set to test for vampire trait ("Vampire_Manifested" one) and exported the mod to a .package file ("Python 3.7" is linked, so "Mod Constructor" should be able to do the scripting for me). Participant is set to "Actor" for both the buff itself and the interactions test, "Add emotion category" is checked for the buff, the emotion weight is assigned, the chance is set to 100%.

But the moodlet just never shows up.

What bugging me is that a very similar thing — with adding a custom buff to an existing game loot (more specific loot, though), for example, "151772 <<< loot_VampireDrinkDeeply" — works just fine. But for many interactions there's no such specific loot, therefore there should be some other way of implementing buffs associated to them, right? But, honestly, I don't have any ideas beside the one I described above. To my shame, I've spent literal hours scratching my head over this with no progress whatsoever, and I didn't manage to find any tutorials covering that particular thing in the "Mod Constructor", so I've decided to ask for help here!

Can you, please, tell me what I'm doing wrong and how I can fix it?

Thank you very much for reading, any help is appreciated!
Advertisement
Rabid Recoloring Renegade
retired moderator
#2 Old 5th Apr 2022 at 1:34 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Odduck
Hi!
I'm currently playing around with "Mod Constructor", and I encountered a problem with the mod I'm trying to make.
Have to say right away — I'm very new to modding, so I'm sure I'm missing something super basic and obvious, but I can't seem to figure it out myself.
What I want from my mod: every time a vampire drinks from a plasma pack, they receive a custom moodlet.
So this is what I did: I used "Loot Injector" function of "Mod Constructor", picked "204642 <<< loot_Commodity_Motive_Vampire_Thirst_Fill" from the list, added a buff to this loot, set buff's test conditions on "Interactions running" > "153464 <<< Drink (consumable_Drink_NonBar_PlasmaPack)", created new buff's conditions set to test for vampire trait ("Vampire_Manifested" one) and exported the mod to a .package file ("Python 3.7" is linked, so "Mod Constructor" should be able to do the scripting for me). Participant is set to "Actor" for both the buff itself and the interactions test, "Add emotion category" is checked for the buff, the emotion weight is assigned, the chance is set to 100%.
But the moodlet just never shows up.
What bugging me is that a very similar thing — with adding a custom buff to an existing game loot (more specific loot, though), for example, "151772 <<< loot_VampireDrinkDeeply" — works just fine. But for many interactions there's no such specific loot, therefore there should be some other way of implementing buffs associated to them, right? But, honestly, I don't have any ideas beside the one I described above. To my shame, I've spent literal hours scratching my head over this with no progress whatsoever, and I didn't manage to find any tutorials covering that particular thing in the "Mod Constructor", so I've decided to ask for help here!
Can you, please, tell me what I'm doing wrong and how I can fix it?
Thank you very much for reading, any help is appreciated!

There's probably someone who can help you here, so that's good. But, this question should probably be directed to Zerbu, the creator of the Mod Constructor. It sounds like it should be fairly easy to accomplish, but the only buffs I've personally created come with traits. So, I'm not much help, but you haven't had a response so I figured something is better than nothing I would keep trying to do it, though. Perhaps there was a glitch somewhere in the original one.

I also just found this video which may help The Sims 4 Modding Tutorial Part 3: Creating Buffs & Actions/Loots

Good luck!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 8th Apr 2022 at 5:27 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Simmiller
There's probably someone who can help you here, so that's good. But, this question should probably be directed to Zerbu, the creator of the Mod Constructor. It sounds like it should be fairly easy to accomplish, but the only buffs I've personally created come with traits. So, I'm not much help, but you haven't had a response so I figured something is better than nothing I would keep trying to do it, though. Perhaps there was a glitch somewhere in the original one.

I also just found this video which may help The Sims 4 Modding Tutorial Part 3: Creating Buffs & Actions/Loots

Good luck!

Thank you very much for your comment, I appreciate your kindness and willingness to help!

I tried asking about this in the support channel of Zebru's Discord server, as I wasn't sure it's something worthy of the creator's attention themselves, but at the time there was no person available who could suggest a solution to my problem. I reached out in a different place and was recommended to use "XML Injector" to implement the feature I wanted instead, which is a little more tricky to work with, but, I suppose, it will be the thing I'll have to do! Honestly, I was very sure the problem was just me, being silly and oblivious to the obvious solution, but it turned out it wasn't the case, I don't think?

The video you've linked is great, it actually was the thing that inspired me to try to implement features like the one described in the original post in the first place!

What I find to be the stangest in the situation is that the first time I was testing this moodlet in my game it worked perfectly, just as was intended, and then it just stoped, even though I changed literally nothing. I recreated it from stratch several times, both in the same file and separetely, doing exactly the same things I originally did, but I never managed to get it to work again, for some reason.

I think it worth mentioning that, in my opinion, there's a good chance it's not "Mod Constructor" fault, but the game's itself, as it has become a little more glitchy lately, since the new pack came out. So, maybe, eventually my problem will fix itself!

But, regardless, thank you very much for you time, and good luck in your modding journey!
Rabid Recoloring Renegade
retired moderator
#4 Old 12th Apr 2022 at 1:58 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Odduck
Thank you very much for your comment, I appreciate your kindness and willingness to help!

I tried asking about this in the support channel of Zebru's Discord server, as I wasn't sure it's something worthy of the creator's attention themselves, but at the time there was no person available who could suggest a solution to my problem. I reached out in a different place and was recommended to use "XML Injector" to implement the feature I wanted instead, which is a little more tricky to work with, but, I suppose, it will be the thing I'll have to do! Honestly, I was very sure the problem was just me, being silly and oblivious to the obvious solution, but it turned out it wasn't the case, I don't think?

The video you've linked is great, it actually was the thing that inspired me to try to implement features like the one described in the original post in the first place!

What I find to be the stangest in the situation is that the first time I was testing this moodlet in my game it worked perfectly, just as was intended, and then it just stoped, even though I changed literally nothing. I recreated it from stratch several times, both in the same file and separetely, doing exactly the same things I originally did, but I never managed to get it to work again, for some reason.

I think it worth mentioning that, in my opinion, there's a good chance it's not "Mod Constructor" fault, but the game's itself, as it has become a little more glitchy lately, since the new pack came out. So, maybe, eventually my problem will fix itself!

But, regardless, thank you very much for you time, and good luck in your modding journey!

I try, LOL! Thanks
You may have checked, but I wonder if there's a conflict somewhere. Do you have Twisted Mexi's Better Exceptions Mod? I highly recommend it if you don't and you mod on a regular basis. There's been times where I've wondered why one of my mods wasn't working and they provided the exact instance where the issue was. Good luck to you, too!