Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 20th Oct 2012 at 5:10 PM
Default PC won't let me use S2PCI for opening package files
Hello again. I've been on here before, but my problem is different.

I had to have my system cleaned due to a hijacking virus, so my PC essentially was "brand new," & I had to re-install the Sims 2 & get a new cleanpack installer.

I have Windows 7 (64bit), and the latest version of the Sims2CleanPackInstaller; 16.18

The problem I'm having right now is Package files. The files found in custom folders that need a default program to open them. In the past, I've used the Sims2CleanPackInstaller as the default program, as well as actually opening the program & scanning the folders for my game, and it worked too. But now when I try choosing it as a default program, it doesn't show up in the menu . I've tried using other programs, like SimPE, Bodyshop, etc.

Nothing's allowing my downloads to show up in the game. The clothes & hair show up just fine. But the downloads, such as objects, don't . I don't understand why the computer won't let me use S2PCI for a default program. Please help.
Advertisement
Site Helper
#2 Old 20th Oct 2012 at 6:19 PM
The Sims2Pack Clean Installer has never been able to open .package files by double clicking. It opens .Sims2Pack files by double clicking on them.

Exactly what are you trying to do with the .package files? There is rarely a need to open these files with any program. Normally, you just install them by copying them to the Downloads folder.

Perhaps this will help:
http://simswiki.info/wiki.php?title...Fracking_Idiots
http://simswiki.info/wiki.php?title=Game_Help:GCCTSU
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#3 Old 20th Oct 2012 at 10:56 PM
Because this is Windows 7, I'm using the file path:

"Libraries -> Documents -> EA Games -> The Sims 2 -> Downloads or Saved Sims" for my custom folders.

In the past, with both Windows Vista & Windows 7, I was able to right-click on just 1 package file, & from the drop menu choose a default program for any file of that type. That way, any custom-made file I put in the game would be read by said program. When it brought up the default program menu, I'd choose "Browse," since the cleanpack installer wasn't normally in there, & I could find the application file whose symbol looks like a pale blue purse with a white piece of paper coming out.

Then all my Sims 2 package files would have the little pale blue oval symbol on them. And it worked to let those nice downloads show up in the game.

But now when I choose the application file for Sims2CleanPackInstaller, not only does it NOT show up in the default program menu, but even if I have the program reading the Downloads and Saved Sims folders, the downloads still down show up in the game .
Site Helper
#4 Old 21st Oct 2012 at 12:01 AM
I'm sorry, but the Sims2Pack Clean Installer doesn't work that way. I have no idea what you think the Sims2Pack Clean Installer is going to do with your .package files. The S2PCI installs .Sims2Pack files, not .package files.

Follow the links that I gave you to correctly install your CC.
Test Subject
#5 Old 21st Oct 2012 at 12:15 AM
Quote: Originally posted by LadyAquanine73551

In the past, with both Windows Vista & Windows 7, I was able to right-click on just 1 package file, & from the drop menu choose a default program for any file of that type. That way, any custom-made file I put in the game would be read by said program. When it brought up the default program menu, I'd choose "Browse," since the cleanpack installer wasn't normally in there, & I could find the application file whose symbol looks like a pale blue purse with a white piece of paper coming out.

So I'm afraid your memory of how this worked is in error. You must be thinking of something else. Perhaps a different tool ? Or perhaps a different file type ?

The Sims2PackCleanInstaller was never able to do anything with .package files. I've seen the source code to that app and know for sure it has never handled .packages.

There are other ways to do what you seem to want to do, but the Clean Installer is not one of them.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#6 Old 24th Oct 2012 at 2:20 AM
Well, I re-installed my Sims 2 games & re-did everything, but the downloads (objects) still don't show up .

I give up. Do you have any ideas? I'm up for anything at this point.
Instructor
#7 Old 24th Oct 2012 at 2:41 AM
Well, I re-installed my Sims 2 games & re-did everything, but the downloads (objects) still don't show up .

I give up. Do you have any ideas? I'm up for anything at this point.

You need SimPE , to open TS2 .package files.

If you are trying to install .sims2pack files (that are not showing up in-game) ... then either the Clean Installer is not properly installed or something else is broken in your setup -- at which point you can ignore this post.

--
"Libraries -> Documents -> EA Games -> The Sims 2 -> Downloads or Saved Sims" for my custom folders.(.

You should not be using that path.
I'll bet this is what's breaking your setup

You should use:

Quote:
Windows Vista/7:
C:\Users\%username%\Documents\EA Games\The Sims 2

Quote:
Windows XP:
C:\Documents and Settings\%username%\My Documents\EA Games\The Sims 2

All TS2 Downloads Link
All TS3 Downloads: Link
All Other downloads: Link
Skyrim SKSE 1.6.x gamepad key support: Link
Site Helper
#8 Old 24th Oct 2012 at 2:43 AM
Yes, I have some great ideas. Follow the two FAQs that I linked above (post #2). Those two FAQs contain everything that we know about getting custom content to show up in your game.

This thread should be closed. Questions about how to install custom content really belong in the Sims 2 Help forum. You're likely to get much more help in that forum.
Me? Sarcastic? Never.
staff: administrator
#9 Old 24th Oct 2012 at 2:51 AM
I think your confused on what the icons for .packages mean. The icons shown is what Windows will use to open them, this has no direct impact on whether your cc will show in game. It is irrelevant. I could associate them with Photoshop and the game will still read them if placed properly.

Please go through the links Mootilda provided. If your cc still doesn't work after doing everything in the wiki, then please post in Help.
Locked thread