Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 9th Nov 2012 at 7:00 AM
Default Problem with disabling 'some' duplicates
So I just reinstalled Sims2Pack Clean Installer on my system due to issues with my game freezing. Obviously, I had duplicate CC that must be causing the freezing and, sure enough I do. So I move to start disabling them and, after a few, I came across an error message that messed up the application after I did it.
Confused, I close and reopen the application and sure enough, it happen again. "
It cannot create a file where a file already exists."
(Yes, screenshots are provided below)

Now, mind you, I 'WAS' using the last version that I had on my computer: V1.6.15, but despite that, I've never encountered this error and behavior before. Still, I checked for an update and found a newer version was available. I downloaded & installed it and then tried again...and the error came back up. I removed that duplicate file and then continued on, disabling a few more duplicates until it happened again....and again...and again with other duplicate files.

Below, you should see the 2 screenshots of what I'm talking about.

The first one, shows the full error message that appears.

The 2nd one, shows what happens when you click OK and then attempt to scroll the window in the application. As you can see from the screenshot, the listed items vanish. They're still clickable and additional provided info appears in the bottom frame of the application if clicked on but you wouldn't know what you're clicking on.

Hardware & Software Reference:
Computer: Acer Aspire 7741G-6426
CPU: i5-480M
Video: Radeon HD 6550M
Ram: 4GB
HDD: Toshiba MK6465GSX
.Net Framework: 4.0
Sims 2 + All Expansions

(Additional note: The application is just being installed because I had just received the system not too long ago from having its motherboard repaired and so everything needed to be reinstalled. I've used this application since 2009 and I've never seen this error before.)
Screenshots
Advertisement
Site Helper
#2 Old 9th Nov 2012 at 2:37 PM
It's an odd message, but seems to match what I see in your screenshots. You seem to have two files with exactly the same name in the Downloads folder. Why don't you open that folder in Windows Explorer, sort by file name, and look for that file? My guess is that you have two files, one named .package and one with some other file extension. Since they are duplicates anyway, delete the one with the odd file extension and everything should start working again.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 10th Nov 2012 at 3:22 AM Last edited by Foxfire Inferno : 10th Nov 2012 at 4:27 AM. Reason: Additional info & clarification
Hmm, indeed it is an odd issue and I think that I'm starting to see why. It has come up a number of times, however, it was always the same problem:
The 3 files would be the same located in the same folder with one instance of it being the .off extension (aka the disabled package) and the other being the regular .package extension.

Attempting to disable the 3rd file where an .off version of it already exists 'within the same folder' causes the error.
If the same 2 named files exists but the .package file is in a different folder from the one that has the .off version, disabling the package file does not create an error.

The solution atm, for the end-user, is basically doing what you said but using Sims2Pack to just 'remove package' instead of searching for multiple files that have this same conflict. You have to recognize the three duplicate highlighted MD5's and file names in which one is off (disabled) and two are on (enabled), both of the ones that are enabled share the exact same file name and located within the same file folder and then not click disable on the one you want to remove...lest they have to go reloading their entire download folder all over again. lol

I would have never seen this error crop up before because I've never gotten to the point where I had duplicates of already turned off files but I suppose that this was inevitable for me.
I backup my downloads folder prior to uninstalling The Sims 2 (due to any need to rebuild the system) and this has caused the increased chance of downloading new instances of files that I had already acquired from another downloaded CC (like a custom downloaded Sim with genetics that I already had a duplicate of and had already disabled the duplicate) that already had a disabled duplicate.
Installing The Sims 2 and all of the discs for the expansions is tiring enough without needing to also reinstall 3.5GB of CC from scratch. lol