Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Mad Poster
#201 Old 14th Jun 2018 at 4:32 PM
Ajay's bio doesn't say a lawn is important to him either, @AndrewGloria It wasn't required to use terrain paint either, it is just a cheap (free, actually) way to do some landscaping when you have a tight budget. Also, not all terrain paint is green (I obviously do not know which ones you have) - but dirt and garden soil and the mixed rocks can be used for paths, edges, etc. The mixed rocks terrain paint is what I used between the wood floors here for the Evans house in Jo's other competition, because I ran out of money too!
Screenshots
Advertisement
Field Researcher
#202 Old 14th Jun 2018 at 5:39 PM
Can I just mention that two judges commented on Olive's lack of dead husbands on her made over lot?

...What dead husbands? If Olive has lost her memory, she won't know about them. Unless the graves were abducted along with everyone else?
Field Researcher
#203 Old 14th Jun 2018 at 6:26 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Justpetro
@muridae
As a judge:
The thing about this competition is that you are not just building a house, you are building a house for a specific family and with specific individuals in the family. If you look at PT9's bio, it is not just that he likes it, his lawn is one of the most important things in his life. That is why it should be there.

@Justpetro: thanks for the judges POV. As you say, it's about learning, and some of that is about how to interpret the rules. The judges are working on that "most important thing in his life", whereas I read that and thought yes, the lawn is the most important thing to him, but it also says he enjoys staring at the sky so a telescope might also make him happy... even if not as happy.

My fault, of course - I should have asked for a ruling before deadline, so I could have switched things around. But of course it's always easier to be wise after the event.

Did we have a fermented juice bar around here somewhere? I still have two households debating which one of them gets house two, so I've got some time to kill while the pixels figure it out...
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#204 Old 14th Jun 2018 at 6:40 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Aysarth
Can I just mention that two judges commented on Olive's lack of dead husbands on her made over lot?

...What dead husbands? If Olive has lost her memory, she won't know about them. Unless the graves were abducted along with everyone else?

Yes, that's what I was thinking, too, I gave her a spade and a pair of wellies because she had a feeling she might like to do some digging one day.
Mad Poster
#205 Old 14th Jun 2018 at 7:38 PM
Of course we have a fermented fruit juice bar And it is always open too!

According to her bio, Olive has graves. She may not remember whose graves they are or why she has them, but she has graves

Let's have a colorful party - for inspiration
Screenshots
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#206 Old 14th Jun 2018 at 9:10 PM
According to her bio, Olive has graves. She may not remember whose graves they are or why she has them, but she has graves

Well, excavations, at least!
Quote:
Olive will stop at nothing to get what she wants. She spends her time collecting mushrooms, sharpening sticks, and excavating her yard.

Of course we have a fermented fruit juice bar And it is always open too! Let's have a colorful party - for inspiration

Wooo!
Mad Poster
#207 Old 14th Jun 2018 at 9:26 PM
I think Olive stuffed all the graves in her inventory when she saw the alien ships landing
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#208 Old 14th Jun 2018 at 9:30 PM
I think Olive stuffed all the graves in her inventory when she saw the alien ships landing

You know, I think she probably would have.
(Darnit, I forgot to do that before they all got evicted! )
Test Subject
#209 Old 14th Jun 2018 at 9:50 PM
Default Round Two! The Singles Move To 2 Cover Up Road
I was actually dreading making over this house because I had zero clue what to do with it, but I think it turned out alright! Because the lot is quite big, I decided to have the Singles move in here; they're all able to have their own room. Without further ado, here's what I did with 2 Cover Up Road.

*The Golden Girls theme song starts playing*

Even though it wasn't my intention, it did end up getting a bit of a Golden Girls vibe in my opinion. I apologize that you can't see the front very well, all the greenery gets in the way; this is the closest I was able to get it.

That's it for round two! I can't wait to see what everyone else has done
Instructor
#210 Old 14th Jun 2018 at 11:36 PM
Just finished my build, after three failed decorating attempts. When I find the time, I'll post my official entry.
Test Subject
#211 Old 15th Jun 2018 at 9:24 AM
Default Round 2 - Grunt
Round 2 was a tricky one that I had to get done quickly so I'd have time to study for my upcoming exams, but hopefully I did it justice.

[Note] The roof in the middle of the tower was not an aesthetic choice and had to be done so the roof underneath it would go away. It was the only way I could find to keep the roof tiles from showing in the tower on the third floor.

Please welcome the Grunt's to their new home.

Mad Poster
#212 Old 15th Jun 2018 at 8:25 PM
Loving the entries already in! @Flickstar, I do tend, with a general in the house, those bathrooms will be shiny, though Drinks on the house for all the contestants!
Test Subject
#213 Old 15th Jun 2018 at 9:44 PM
Default Entry Round 2 - The Singles Family
Here is my entry for round 2. I have chosen the singles family. I decided to build a large modern home with enough space for them to live together and invite friends over. The house now includes a swimming pool area as well as a pooltable for parties and a telescope so the alien twins can stargaze and perhaps meet their family. There are four bedrooms, two bathrooms and a small toilet. The bedrooms are decorated according to the family members biography:

- Chloe Singles - she is a romance sim and likes to spend time with people so I gave her room a reddish wallpaper, a mirror to practice her social skills, a large bed and a dresser with make-up and flowers. I chose candles for lightning.
- Erin Singles - her biography says she thinks she has paranormal gifts. When I read that I immediately thought of a crystal ball, tarot cards and some antiques. I chose furniture for her room that I think she would buy in the second hand shop and I decorated with lots of 'weird' stuff she would find there as well.
- Kristen Singles - she wants to be a sports star so I think of her as the tomboy and tried to make her room not very 'girly'. I also put in some gym equipment so she can stay fit and train for her sports career.
- Lola Singles - I felt like she is the serious one and studies a lot so I kept her room neutral and gave Lola her own study with a large desk and a bookcase.

More pictures behind the spoiler:
Lab Assistant
#214 Old 16th Jun 2018 at 5:57 AM
Default Round 2 - Smiths
I didn't submit for round one, so if that's not allowed I'll just play along
I'm not a fan of decorating, but I was inspired to build a new home and this challenge perfectly fit that.

The Smiths are what I consider traditionally unique. They try their best to fit in since they know they are very clearly different (hint, it's the green skin). So with that they remodeled the eclectic house that resided on 2 Cover Up Road into a familiar suburban home. Obvious heavy use of a certain color as the lady of the house is particularly fond of it

Required Images

Additional Images
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
Original Poster
#215 Old 16th Jun 2018 at 7:03 AM
Loving all the different house shapes everyone is getting from the same base. :D

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Top Secret Researcher
#216 Old 16th Jun 2018 at 11:21 PM
@deadhead_kay I imagine you'll be made a play along as we already have the required number of contestants. Nice house!
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
Original Poster
#217 Old 16th Jun 2018 at 11:56 PM
Sorry you guys, I totally forgot about play along comments!

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#218 Old 17th Jun 2018 at 7:52 AM Last edited by Justpetro : 18th Jun 2018 at 9:26 AM.
Thank you, Jo, I will pay attention to the floor plan shots

Added a better floor plan shot in case anyone wants to see it better.
Field Researcher
#219 Old 17th Jun 2018 at 11:38 AM Last edited by Aysarth : 22nd Jun 2018 at 11:56 AM. Reason: Si I don't lose everything and have to start again.
Default Round 2 Entry - The Smith Family
Editing... Done now.

The Smiths are in many ways a typical suburban family, at least, as PT9 understand it. And, a suburban family person's home is his castle.

The Smiths also clashed with the Council over the zoning regulations. Only desert appropriate landscaping is allowed, so no lawn! However, the Council was forced to concede that an oasis counts as desert appropriate! But PT got his lawn anyway. He put it on the flat roof, where the Council can't see it.

The living space is open plan, so Jenny can still be with her family while cooking. The study corner is where PT clips his coupons.

Upstairs is mainly for the children. They each have a bedroom, and share a bathroom and play space. Johnny is into purple at the moment. He would have painted the whole room purple if his parents had allowed it. I bet he hates that colour six months from now.

PT was concerned over Jill's desire for an ocean themed blue room. He thought little Earth girls were only supposed to like pink? Jenny told him crossly that Earth girls were allowed to prefer any colour they chose! So Jill got her blue room.

Notes under spoiler:
Instructor
#220 Old 17th Jun 2018 at 12:09 PM Last edited by Yvelotic2001 : 20th Jul 2018 at 11:41 PM.
Default Round 2 - 2 Cover Up Road

All the Single ladies!

Quote:
24th May 2018
Strangetown

Dear Miss Curious
It is a pleasure to inform you that the town council of our great Strangetown has decided to assign the house on 2 Cover Up Road to you and any other members of your household. The house is in need of some repairs, as such, the council has decided a budget of 80.000 simoleons is enough to bring it up to code. You are free to redecorate and change the layout of the inside, nevertheless the outside shell must remain. Further stories can be added at your discretion and the platforms can be removed. Do note that you are free to repaint the exterior.
We hope you the best for the rest of your life here in Strangetown.

Best regards,
Town Council of Strangetown

The Singles are a household of roommates. They have their fair share of problems, but can they overcome their differences and live a peaceful life in Strangetown? After three different decoration attempts of their new house, it seems like they still have major disagreements. They finally agreed on the current design, after several complaints from their neighbours about the noise their arguments made.
When the Singles arrived at 2 Cover Up Road, they thought it was a very... curious house, though it had some potential. They removed most of the platforms straight away and added two more stories on the front of the house to gain some extra living space. They decided to redecorate in an Art Deco approach. The outside kept its black and white scheme, as well as being covered partially in desert-coloured bricks - they saw those bricks in Ajay's house and they loved it, they had to include some in their house as well!
They needed two bedrooms and two full bathrooms. Chloe and Lola decided to share a room, while Kristen and Erin shared the other. The two bathrooms are located on either end of the ground floor. As for fixtures, the house is fully equiped with anything they might need: Kristen has an exercise bike to keep fit for as long as she stays in Strangetown; Lola has her own study in the third floor - with amazing views from the round windows! -; Chloe has a sophisticated phone and plenty of mirrors, as well as a double bed, for any of her very productive activities; and Erin has a tribal mask above her - purple, as expected - bed that, she claims, helps her develop her psychic powers.
For the outside, the Single ladies decided to add a bit of grass to all the sand, making a pretty pathway that leads to the entrance.

Here are the photos the town council took during their inspection of the lot:

Again, I believe I didn't break any rules. Please do inform me if I have and I will make the necessary corrections. I gave the house two bedrooms and two full bathrooms, as required, and I also tried to incorporate elements of every girl's personality.

I really love Art Deco. I had lots of fun making over this lot, although it was a very tricky one to decorate. I couldn't go for the opulent, luxurious style Art Deco is commonly associated with, instead I had to opt for a lower class Art Deco. But even if you're not on an unlimited budget, you can still go Art Deco - I guess Machine Age and its mass production do have their benefits! Anyway, hope you like my makeover of the Curious house. So far I've seen great builds!

To celebrate, I'll head over to the fermented fruit juice bar. Justpetro, prepare the drinks!
Mad Poster
#221 Old 18th Jun 2018 at 8:24 AM
Starting the week's party
Screenshots
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#222 Old 18th Jun 2018 at 3:27 PM
@joandsarah77 Am I allowed to change my entry slightly? I just found some CC that I had been searching for!
Mad Poster
#223 Old 18th Jun 2018 at 5:00 PM
Yes - @simsample and anyone else - you can change your entries any time until the deadline, since judging only begins after the deadline.
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#224 Old 18th Jun 2018 at 6:40 PM Last edited by simsample : 18th Jun 2018 at 7:06 PM.
Oh good- thanks @Justpetro !

Have a drink on me.

ETA: Done!
Screenshots
Mad Poster
#225 Old 18th Jun 2018 at 8:06 PM
Thank you I can always do with a drink on a Monday!

Page 9 of 25