Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 11th Jan 2021 at 10:54 PM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Default Alternative way to generate thumbnail packages
I'm not sure if something similar to this was posted on the forums before, but I have a probably dumb question regarding thumbnails. Is there another way to generate in-game thumbnails other than clicking through catalogues waiting for each of them to load in? I'm talking about the ones you'd find in the "Thumbnails" folder found in your documents. (CAS, Buy, Build, etc.) It's a pain having to wait for all of them to generate sometimes. Alternatively, I'd thought if there would be a Program that would generate all the game thumbnails. Although I'm not entirely sure how that would be possible? Is SimPE capable of doing something like that? Again sorry if I'm being dumb, I've been playing this game for almost a whole decade now and despite that there's a lot of things I either forget or don't know entirely about this game. Thanks for any help or suggestions, and please correct me if I'm wrong about anything.

...And I'd like to apologise if I'm posting this in the wrong category
Advertisement
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#2 Old 12th Jan 2021 at 12:18 AM
You either right click CTRL on a thumbnail if it isn't showing or you delete the contents of the thumbnail folder.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#3 Old 12th Jan 2021 at 1:13 AM Last edited by simmer22 : 12th Jan 2021 at 1:26 AM.
You shouldn't have to delete the Thumbnail files very often - it could be better for the game if you leave them alone.

If there's a reason you're deleting them, like wanting them to generate with the proper size, then you probably want to go about it differently, unless you're mass-fixing them.

---

One tip for backups and saved games is that the Thumbnails folder can usually follow a saved game and its Downloads folder, so instead of just a backup of the neighborhood, do a backup of the entire TS2 folder including the Thumbnails (and settings plus several other files that could come in handy). That way, there's no (or at least very little) time is spent regenerating thumbnails, because they're already included.

It's not foolproof, and you may not want to put the Downloads folder and the Thumbnail files into an unrelated game, or into a game where the Downloads folder has been edited somewhat beyond recognition.