Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 13th Jan 2021 at 1:36 AM Last edited by Markgregory : 13th Jan 2021 at 2:00 AM.
Default How to deal with thin lines and cracks on sims' faces and clothes?
I bought an Ibuypower computer from Walmart days ago and it makes my Sims 2 look smooth and easy to look at. It runs a LOT better than my old computer. The only problem I am having right now are those annoying cracks and lines on their limbs, clothes, and faces. They disappear when I lower smooth edges. I have a Nvidia graphics card. Is there a way to get rid of those lines/cracks?

My new PC:
Intel Core I5-9400F
6-Core 2.9GHz (4.1 GHZ Turbo)
Nvidia GeForce GTX 1660 Super 6GB
6GB DDR4-2666MHz Memory
240GB Solid State Drive

note: the cracks and lines are also on premade sims that comes with the game.
Screenshots
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 13th Jan 2021 at 1:57 AM Last edited by simmer22 : 13th Jan 2021 at 2:14 AM.
That doesn't look like something you can fix much with the graphics. Those lines look a bit more like problems with the CC items, more specifically with the alpha textures. If so, it needs fixing in the actual texture in the Package file of the recolor.

If it happens to default clothes, it could maybe be related to the textures. The textures look somewhat low resolution. Are you sure those skins are showing at the highest settings? You'll want to set texture detail and sim/object detail to high. Smooth edges mostly help for the edges around objects, but you'll get a somewhat pixellated result without it.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 13th Jan 2021 at 2:12 AM
Quote: Originally posted by simmer22
That's not something you can fix much with the graphics. Those lines look to be problems with the CC items, more specifically with the alpha textures. It needs fixing in the actual texture in the Package file of the recolor.

The textures look somewhat low resolution. Are you sure those skins are showing at the highest settings? You'll want to set texture detail and sim/object detail to high. Smooth edges mostly help for the edges around objects, but you'll get a somewhat pixellated result without it.

I have smooth edges on, but I turned down the resolution back to 800x600, plus I took a picture of it with a cellphone. The cracks still show up even with the 1920 and 1080 resolution.

There are similar cases with lines/cracks on Sims 3. They managed to get rid of them with something called Nvidia Inspector. The only problem is that Nvidia Inspector doesn't have Sims 2 Ultimate Collection.

The pics you see on the bottom is from Sims 3. It could be my Graphics card. I have a feeling they won't be there if I use a different card.
Screenshots
Mad Poster
#4 Old 13th Jan 2021 at 2:14 AM Last edited by simmer22 : 13th Jan 2021 at 2:29 AM.
Have you set up your GraphicRules file(s)? Could be some of the settings are set to the lowest there. If you're using a graphic card the game is struggling to recognize (pretty much all the 1000++ Nvidia cards), or are running the game on an Intel or other form of integrated chip (or your game thinks you are doing so), the game is usually automatically set to use the lowest settings available, which results in some rather unfortunate problems. You can manually do edits to fix this, or use the GraphicsRuleMaker.

I think you have to do something similar for TS3 too. I can't remember what I did (it's a couple years ago I think, haven't played it since, still have some setup to do and couldn't be bothered to finish) but there is a GraphicsRules file there too. Not the same info as TS2, though (you may want to find a tutorial). I just know I did fix it, but have no clue where I put the tutorial I must've mislaid somewhere.

The last pictures look like TS4, though. No idea about GraphicRules there (haven't bothered checking).

I have a 1700 card, and I don't see these lines, so I'm thinking it's probably just settings.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 13th Jan 2021 at 3:01 AM
Quote: Originally posted by simmer22
Have you set up your GraphicRules file(s)? Could be some of the settings are set to the lowest there. If you're using a graphic card the game is struggling to recognize (pretty much all the 1000++ Nvidia cards), or are running the game on an Intel or other form of integrated chip (or your game thinks you are doing so), the game is usually automatically set to use the lowest settings available, which results in some rather unfortunate problems. You can manually do edits to fix this, or use the GraphicsRuleMaker.

I think you have to do something similar for TS3 too. I can't remember what I did (it's a couple years ago I think, haven't played it since, still have some setup to do and couldn't be bothered to finish) but there is a GraphicsRules file there too. Not the same info as TS2, though (you may want to find a tutorial). I just know I did fix it, but have no clue where I put the tutorial I must've mislaid somewhere.

The last pictures look like TS4, though. No idea about GraphicRules there (haven't bothered checking).

I have a 1700 card, and I don't see these lines, so I'm thinking it's probably just settings.

Thank, I'll check it out.

By the way, I found something really odd. When I took snapshots of my sim in CAS, the cracks and lines are not visible. I even examine the pictures up close. They are not visible. They only show up in game and CAS.
Alchemist
#6 Old 13th Jan 2021 at 5:20 AM
https://celebkiriedhel.tumblr.com/p...h-edges-for-ts2

Maybe this will work and you can turn off smooth edges.
Test Subject
#7 Old 30th Aug 2022 at 1:30 AM
I have the same problem, I am using nvidia gtx970 video card. This is how I solved the problem.

https://thesims4.customcontent.net/...n-clothes-face/