Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Inventor
Original Poster
#1 Old 18th Jul 2010 at 10:37 PM Last edited by jodemilo : 19th Jul 2010 at 8:01 PM.
Default Revivals
The fashion thread here reminded me of music revivals. What do you think of bands who were once fairly cool back in the 70s (or 80s) who spend years in obscurity after their glory days, only to reform later on?

With some bands, it works. Eg, Take That (British "boy" band who are probably even more popular now since they reformed a few years ago). In fact Robbie Williams has jumped on the latest Take That bandwagon and rejoined them (possibly because his solo career isn't what it once was).

I was listening to British radio the other day and the host was interviewing someone called Tony Hadley (who was in British new romantic group "Spandau Ballet" back in the '80s, and Rick Astley (whose main claim to fame is the hit "Never gonna give you up"). Apparently they're all touring with other artists such as ABC and Belinda Carlisle, like an 80s tribute show really. At the end of the day I think a good song will stand the test of time.

I don't think the punk bands back in the 70s would quite have the same impact today if they reformed now but I like how some young bands today are obviously influenced by 70s punk.

I still have my original singles collection of punk records (and LPs) in my attic. Wonder if they're worth anything now?

(Sorry I know this is very Brit-biased as that's where I'm from. What about American artists who have made a comeback?)
Advertisement
Instructor
#2 Old 19th Jul 2010 at 2:55 PM
Default More Music!
Sorry, I must have missed this thread-I haven't had my coffee yet.

We seem to be on the same wavelength today, as I just made a thread about 70s bands.

As far as reunions, I think the less of them the better-there is nothing sadder than seeing sextegenarians singing about young lust, which is what most popular music is about. KISS tried it a few years ago, and the boys looked atrocious-spandex and leather are not flattering to flab.

Besides, I think it is better to remember them in their glory, when we were young and immortal (in our own minds at least) rather than being reminded of the inevitable effects of time.

Wow, that was rather maudlin. I promise to try to keep it upbeat from here on out.
Field Researcher
#3 Old 19th Jul 2010 at 3:57 PM
You only have to look at the gig guide where I live (not a big city) - this year it includes Shakin Stevens, Steve Harley, Squeeze, the Human League and there are tribute bands to The Cure, Led Zeppelin and usually each year a Pink Floyd one too. Oh dear - Bad Manners are also still doing the rounds! Can't beat a good tune - there's a rebellious stage when I wouldn't listen to anything 60s/70s as my parents listened to it but now my cd collection contains quite a lot - from Elvis Costello to Leonard Cohen. I think the singer-songwriters can keep going forever - spandex free hopefully!
Inventor
Original Poster
#4 Old 19th Jul 2010 at 8:10 PM
It's also amazing how one singer or group can get so much mileage of just having ONE hit. For example, a British group called Mungo Jerry back in the 70s are really only remembered for their hit "In the Summertime" which was a success internationally as well as in the UK. The writer of the song (the lead singer I believe) apparently came up with the hook in about 10 minutes max - and there you have it - royalties for life!

I'm sure many of these artists get fed up having to peddle out their one big hit at concerts though. But hey, one hit is all you need!

I have to say the group that I discovered rather late (I went back and listened to all their 70s albums) was Steely Dan. They are probably my all-time favorite band, although that's probably because I have rather more mature tastes now and appreciate the fusion of rock, jazz and pop. I always thought they had a particularly distinctive sound - Donald Fagen is a great writer.

I saw them in an open-air concert in Philadelphia about 10 years ago - they happened to be touring while I was working at a kid's summer camp there - that was a treat and a half! (which was more than could be said about slave music camp).

PS - K_K - didn't you see my PMs...?
Instructor
#5 Old 20th Jul 2010 at 6:06 AM
Default Revive the revived
Stevie Wonder and Elton John both have staying power. While neither is on my must-have list if I am marooned on some deserted isle, there are definitely songs that each has done that I enjoy immensely.

Then there are the bands that just will not go away...The Grateful Dead and Rolling Stones come to mind, and even Aerosmith is getting a bit long in the tooth.

Speaking of which, how on earth did Steven Tyler mange to produce such a stunningly beautiful daughter? Maybe there is some truth to the rumor that rock bands sell their souls to the devil....
Inventor
Original Poster
#6 Old 20th Jul 2010 at 10:33 AM
Yeah the Stones. (Actually I have a personal Mick Jagger story, but that's not for here.. (and no, I wasn't a groupie!)

Actually I saw them in concert the other day on TV - I think it was in Rio, Brasil. For someone drawing his pension old Mick still had quite a lot of energy (still as wiry as ever) and the band weren't too bad. But there weren't any actual closeups, so we were spared the fright of seeing Ronnie Wood and Keith Richards up close.