Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Inventor
Original Poster
#1 Old 19th Jul 2010 at 4:13 AM
Default Comics and Teen magazines
Which comics and mags did you read as a kid?

The 70s was actually pretty productive in the UK as far as kids comics were concerned - not only did we have the usual suspects - eg Beano, Dandy, Whizzer & Chips, but also some more "alternative" ones such as Monster Fun comic and Krazy comic (Monster Fun was probably by favourite.) I think that was the one where every weekly edition's backcover was meant to be a disguise for the comic so you could read it at school or something - for example I seem to remember the first edition had a big image of a schoolbook on the backcover. For some reason I thought that "camouflaging" was quite clever, gullible child that I was!

I particularly liked the strip "Gums", a take on Jaws but the shark had no teeth so he literally "sucked".

http://www.jawscollector.com/unlice...erFuncomic1.jpg

When I hit my teens I'd be reading "Oh Boy" and "My Guy" magazines. I always remember being enthralled about one particular "problem" on the problem page - a girl had got pregnant aged just 13. My friend and I were simultaneously shocked and fascinated. And I always remember an article, I think in "My Guy" magazine, which was a step-by-step guide about how to kiss! lol. Basically it said to practise on your arm, close your eyes when kissing and possibly try a bit of tongue if you were feeling adventurous!
Advertisement
Instructor
#2 Old 19th Jul 2010 at 7:08 AM Last edited by Kneon_Knight : 19th Jul 2010 at 2:47 PM. Reason: typo
Hoo-boy...where to begin?

In no particular order, these were my regular titles-

Eerie

Vampirella (both this one and the one previous had copious amounts of nudity, of which my parents were blissfully unaware.)

Famous Monsters of Filmland (dedicated to all the horror movies and their ghoulish stars, with plenty of photos of the Hammer Films vixens)

Superman

Batman

Spiderman (at one point he had about five different magazines devoted to him!)

The Avengers

The Defenders

Nick Fury and His Howling Commandos

Nick Fury, Agent of S.H.I.E.L.D. (in neither of these titles was he an African American, for obvious historical reasons)

The Incredidble Hulk

SHAZAM! (The Original Captain Marvel...there is a long and sad story behind him and how DC comics ran his comic out of publication)

Mad Magazine

Cracked Magazine (in it's final years far superior to MAD)

Captain America

Iron Man

The X-Men

The Fantastic Four

Those are the main titles that I recall. I am sorely disappointed in Hollywood's recent treatment of many of them, as the only thing the film versions share with their printed namesakes is their name and appearance. The rest seems to have been made up to fulfill various directors' wet-dreams.

If I had to pick a favorite comic hero, it would have to be Batman, because he relied on skill (and very expensive tools) rather than some cop-out super power to get the job done. You just knew if you were a multi-millionaire you could do the same things. Please note: Personal experimentation has proven that tying a length of clothesline to a boomerang not only drastically alters the aerodynamics of the boomerang, but is no gaurantee of swinging between two points, even if you do manage to get the line looped around your target.
Inventor
Original Poster
#3 Old 19th Jul 2010 at 2:06 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Kneon_Knight
Please note: Personal experimentation has proven that tying a length of clothesline to a boomerang not only drastically alters the aerodynamics of the boomerang, but is no gaurantee of swinging between to points, even if you do manage to get the line looped around your target.

LOL.
Wow that is SOME list of comics Kneon_Knight. I have to say I bypassed a lot of the "boy's stuff" (hope I'm not sounding sexist here) but I know certain comics have virtual cult status amongst afficionados as well as steering more towards the teen or adult market.
Instructor
#4 Old 19th Jul 2010 at 2:41 PM Last edited by Kneon_Knight : 19th Jul 2010 at 2:46 PM. Reason: Afterthought.
Default Comics
Yeah, I guess it is a long list. Winters were pretty severe in the part of Colorado where I spent most of my childhood, so comics served as a means of staving off "cabin fever". My parents rationalized it was better to have me reading, even if it was only the comics, than have me constanly moping about without much to do besides get frostbitten or snowblind-which I actually experienced once. I don't reccomend it to anyone.

And to be honest, there weren't that many comics for the girls. Even Wonder Woman and Milly the Model were just excuses for the artists to draw well endowed females in revealing costumes.

Archie, maybe, but it was aimed at pre-teens and teens in general.

The 7p on the cover of your example-I'm assuming that's 7 pence? The average price for a similar comic here would have been $0.15 or $0.20 at that time.

Add to my list of computer gripes-the loss of the "cents" symbol. For those that don't know, it was a "c" with a slash through it.
Inventor
Original Poster
#5 Old 19th Jul 2010 at 7:31 PM Last edited by jodemilo : 20th Jul 2010 at 12:17 AM.
The 7p on the cover of your example-I'm assuming that's 7 pence? The average price for a similar comic here would have been $0.15 or $0.20 at that time.

Yep, sure is! Multiply that by about 18 now and you have the current average price for a copy of the Beano or Dandy. (About $2.50 in your money K_K!

Actually I remember when a packet of crisps (chips, in your language!) cost 2p!

The only female character I identified with was Beryl the Peril. But Dennis the Menace and Gnasher were better.

My favorite cartoon strip was the "Numskulls" (from the Beano) - I just loved the concept of little people living in your head controlling your brain and bodily functions! haha
Instructor
#6 Old 20th Jul 2010 at 6:00 AM
Default Beano...
Strangely enough, we have a product here called Beano, which is concerned with bodily functions. Specifically, preventing flatulence when eating beans. I am sorry to say that it is a dismal failure.
Inventor
Original Poster
#7 Old 20th Jul 2010 at 10:34 AM Last edited by jodemilo : 20th Jul 2010 at 11:40 AM.
Strangely enough, we have a product here called Beano, which is concerned with bodily functions. Specifically, preventing flatulence when eating beans. I am sorry to say that it is a dismal failure.

OMG, really?? haha

Imagine testing a product like that before "releasing" (excuse the pun!) it to the general public!

"Wanted: test subjects for new flatulence-preventing product - please apply by phoning this number and farting down the line."

Oh god I'm getting myself in a silly mood already - and it's still only 11.30am! My eyes are watering!