Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
#376 Old 13th Jan 2018 at 7:12 PM Last edited by FuruFuruu : 13th Jan 2018 at 8:03 PM.
Lucky for all you lovely people here, now that I've had a nice long gawk at these beautiful pictures, my brain can once again form a coherent string of thoughts. I am no longer the designated driveling idiot .

Some of those landscapes look like they could have been inspired by some of the pictures I suggested . Maybe...? No? Ok.

Quote: Originally posted by Nilxis
This is the house of a healer who lives in the jungle, next to the cemetery. Mushrooms and other plants from Supernatural are grown in this area. The little house on the right is an elixir store.

My dude… This house ! Strange old woman who grows even stranger things, owns a small elixir shop, and lives next to a cemetery = Drishti. Please, please, allow her to inhabit this house!

And this is the cemetery. These structures with the trees on top are tombs. Uranesians believe in reincarnation, so the trees symbolize life after death.

This is my favorite part of the post! The cemetery is so beautiful. I love that you incorporated nature into their burial practices and beliefs.

This is the temple of the cemetery, and also where the Royal Family is buried.

Even though this has nothing to do with burial, I have a question about the royal family. What kind of societal power does the royal family have? Is it an absolute monarchy? And if so, is the line of succession hereditary or non-hereditary (ie. the papacy)? Sorry if this is out of place here, just wondering .

This building is a monastery. Here live the monks who take care of the cemetery and are responsible for all the rituals related to death.

Call me macabre, but can you share some of the practices these monk perform. Also, have you thought about what the standard and special burial practices are in Uranesia? Is it cremation, mummification, entombment, burial at sea, etc.? Another thing, is the practice dependent on status? For example, say a criminal, would they receive the same type of burial as a law abiding citizen? And if not then to what degree of crime is the exception? Perhaps I'm asking too much here lol.

Again, sorry if this is out of place here but I'm very curious about the lore .
BTW you're awesome .
Advertisement
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#377 Old 16th Jan 2018 at 6:35 PM
Thank you for your nice comments and feedback!

Quote: Originally posted by paul_dion011089
Maybe just one thing but the wall clock on the inventor's home looks too modern with that clean look and contemporary Hindu-Arabic numerals on it's face. Maybe we can change it to some more ancient or tribal looking

I agree! It looks out of place, so I will recolor it

Quote: Originally posted by FuruFuruu
My dude… This house ! Strange old woman who grows even stranger things, owns a small elixir shop, and lives next to a cemetery = Drishti. Please, please, allow her to inhabit this house!

Sounds like she's the perfect match for the house

Even though this has nothing to do with burial, I have a question about the royal family. What kind of societal power does the royal family have? Is it an absolute monarchy? And if so, is the line of succession hereditary or non-hereditary (ie. the papacy)? Sorry if this is out of place here, just wondering. :D

Well, I haven't thought about it very in detail, but my idea is that it's an hereditary absolute monarchy which at the same time has a leading role in religion. Kinda like Saudi Arabia, if you can even compare the two.

Call me macabre, but can you share some of the practices these monk perform. Also, have you thought about what the standard and special burial practices are in Uranesia? Is it cremation, mummification, entombment, burial at sea, etc.? Another thing, is the practice dependent on status? For example, say a criminal, would they receive the same type of burial as a law abiding citizen? And if not then to what degree of crime is the exception?

This is something I haven't really thought about either. I imagine that the tombs have a big space underneath where the dead are placed. The thing is there aren't many tombs, so they have to be common (except for important members of society). Maybe they can be organized by families, or districts of the city?
I think cremation and entombment would be realistic. If the bodies are cremated and the ashes are then placed inside the tomb (in urns I guess), then space wouldn't really be a problem (I'd need to come up with a place where the bodies would be cremated though). If the bodies are just placed there they would take up more space, and after centuries and generations maybe space would be a problem, but over the years only bones would remain... I don't know. Maybe I prefer cremation and urns in a common place. What do you think?

Quote:
Again, sorry if this is out of place here but I'm very curious about the lore .

Nooo, absolutely not, these questions are helpful for me, and very interesting to think about

Find all my creations here:
My blog: Nilxis Designs // My Tumblr page: http://nilxis.tumblr.com
Test Subject
#378 Old 16th Jan 2018 at 9:04 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Furufuruu
This house!...= Drishti. Please, please, allow her to inhabit this house!

Sounds like she's the perfect match for the house

AHHHHHHH YES!!!!

Quote: Originally posted by Furufuruu
...Sorry if this is out of place here but I'm very curious about the lore.

Nooo, absolutely not, these questions are helpful for me, and very interesting to think about

I am so relieved you don't find my thousands of questions annoying lol. I find the lore so interesting! I can't wait until you get a chance to write more.

Well, I haven't thought about it very in detail, but my idea is that it's an hereditary absolute monarchy which at the same time has a leading role in religion. Kinda like Saudi Arabia, if you can even compare the two.

Ok, I get you! So a theocratic monarchy. Perhaps not as tyranical as Saudi Arabia though?

This is something I haven't really thought about either. I imagine that the tombs have a big space underneath where the dead are placed. The thing is there aren't many tombs, so they have to be common (except for important members of society). Maybe they can be organized by families, or districts of the city?
I think cremation and entombment would be realistic. If the bodies are cremated and the ashes are then placed inside the tomb (in urns I guess), then space wouldn't really be a problem (I'd need to come up with a place where the bodies would be cremated though). If the bodies are just placed there they would take up more space, and after centuries and generations maybe space would be a problem, but over the years only bones would remain... I don't know. Maybe I prefer cremation and urns in a common place. What do you think?

Yeah, I agree! I think out of everything mentioned, cremation, entombment (in special cases, as you mentioned), and burial by sea make the most sense.

I'd have to agree remains being cremated is best. It would definitely save space if urns were placed in a centralized tomb. You could have a centralized tomb for common folk (organized by family), and tombs or underground mausoleums for important figures.

And maybe for a burial practice, something similar to what they did in the Emerald Graves in Dragon Age: Inquisition. For every deceased, there is a tree (or plant/bush/flower it doesn't have to be a tree) planted in their honor. But to add to that concept, instead of just planting the tree, they can make a burial solution by mixing some of the ashes with soil and herbs and then sow a seed inside of it?

Since you mention trees are symbolic of reincarnation, perhaps in the tombs, you can have something like subterranean gardens? You wouldn't necessarily have to build these gardens they could just be implied in the lore?
Hey, just an idea !
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#379 Old 18th Jan 2018 at 7:50 PM
Ok, I get you! So a theocratic monarchy. Perhaps not as tyranical as Saudi Arabia though?

Well... don't underestimate how far they could go to preserve their power :P

And maybe for a burial practice, something similar to what they did in the Emerald Graves in Dragon Age: Inquisition. For every deceased, there is a tree (or plant/bush/flower it doesn't have to be a tree) planted in their honor. But to add to that concept, instead of just planting the tree, they can make a burial solution by mixing some of the ashes with soil and herbs and then sow a seed inside of it?

That's a good idea, but I think it would be a bit difficult to recreate, well I mean, to actually indicate which plants were planted to honor a deceased. And there isn't that much space in the cemetery... I think that since the tombs are common, the plants that grow on top already represent that for all of the deceased who are buried underneath.

Quote:
Since you mention trees are symbolic of reincarnation, perhaps in the tombs, you can have something like subterranean gardens? You wouldn't necessarily have to build these gardens they could just be implied in the lore?

Actually such a thing wouldn't be difficult to build

Test Subject
#380 Old 18th Jan 2018 at 10:38 PM
Well... don't underestimate how far they could go to preserve their power :P

Uh oh Saudi Arabia 2.0.

That's a good idea, but I think it would be a bit difficult to recreate, well I mean, to actually indicate which plants were planted to honor a deceased. And there isn't that much space in the cemetery... I think that since the tombs are common, the plants that grow on top already represent that for all of the deceased who are buried underneath.

You're right, that makes a lot more sense.
I still really love the idea that you made the cemetery all nature-full and not manicured and pristine. And of course the tree symbolism (my favorite part).

Actually such a thing wouldn't be difficult to build

E-excuse me!?
Test Subject
#381 Old 20th Feb 2018 at 1:44 AM
Quote: Originally posted by tizerist
Medieval careers
https://www.sendspace.com/file/ulzzxm

Can you please send me this file if you get the chance. I have been looking every where for it or even something like it since the original site was taken down years ago

P.S. I love this world. I cant wait till its available to download!
Mad Poster
#382 Old 21st Mar 2018 at 4:51 AM
Hope we will see and hear more soon.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#383 Old 22nd Mar 2018 at 6:15 PM
Hi everybody, I haven't had much time to create lots of new things, but I'm still slowly working on it. I hope I can post a new update soon

Mad Poster
#384 Old 24th Mar 2018 at 6:41 PM
Great!!! We are looking forward to it.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#385 Old 20th May 2018 at 10:46 PM Last edited by Nilxis : 17th Jun 2018 at 5:37 PM.
Hey, long time no see!
If you follow me on Tumblr you may have seen that recently I have been posting some progess pictures. But now it's finally time to post a full update here, and there are some important changes!

Sooo...

UPDATE TIME!

I know I said the city was finished, but being the perfectionist I am I had to go back and make some changes and add new things. I wanted to get into more detail with the industrial/trading aspects of the city, so I’ve built a place where clothes are made, dyed and washed, and I decided to make a new port. If you remember the old port, it was practically disconnected from the rest of the city, pretty much it was more deco than anything else. I've got rid of it, and now the new port is well connected with paths. And what in the beginning had to be a rather small port, it has turned almost into a little seaside village of its own. The locks and canals system has also been extended down to the sea in a more gentle way. I have to say I'm pleased with the result, now the city has a real access to the sea, which is key to trade and development. Let's see some pictures:

That's it, I hope you like it and let me know if you have any suggestions!

Mad Poster
#386 Old 21st May 2018 at 7:00 AM
I was just going to post a few days ago asking about the status on this. This is all looking amazing! And having the ship is perfect. I also really like that you did the port as built up. This is coming along so well.
Theorist
#387 Old 21st May 2018 at 1:47 PM
Holy macaroni.....what am I seeing here? This is exceptional! The new area is gorgeous! The ship looks amazing and is a great addition to the town. The clothes washing / weaving area really gives it more of a feeling of industry, and generally it looks really well fleshed out...kudos nilxis 😮

Connecting the areas with a dive well, I’m not so sure about...I may replace that with a subway rug or something, for such an intelligent civilisation, that method of transport seems slightly off....but anyway, I’m off to turn my computer on so I can look at these pics on my 50” TV haha!

#BlairWitchPetition
TS3 NEEDS: TENNIS COURTS > BUSES > PIGS/SHEEP
Can't find stuff in build and buy mode? http://www.nexusmods.com/thesims3/mods/1/?
Field Researcher
#388 Old 21st May 2018 at 8:04 PM
Whoa, this is amazing!

Any chance of the port being expanded a bit to have more than one houseboat port? Just thinking it'd be great to have a couple there.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#389 Old 23rd May 2018 at 3:35 PM
Thank you guys for your comments

Quote: Originally posted by daisylee
I also really like that you did the port as built up.

@daisylee Yep, they have to protect themselves from the pirate threat!

Connecting the areas with a dive well, I’m not so sure about...I may replace that with a subway rug or something, for such an intelligent civilisation, that method of transport seems slightly off....

@tizerist, Oh no no, this is what it was like before, when I had the old port. Now I've got rid of the dive well and it's all well connected with paths. I see now I was a bit ambiguous explaining it.

I’m off to turn my computer on so I can look at these pics on my 50” TV haha!

That sounds cool

Quote: Originally posted by BourgeoisBanana
Any chance of the port being expanded a bit to have more than one houseboat port? Just thinking it'd be great to have a couple there.

@BourgeoisBanana, Well not really... I designed the port specifically this small to house only one ship. Since Uranesians only really use this port as a local base (they go trading on that international trading island I talked about some time ago), and they don't want to receive many visits, I decided that a small port only for one houseboat would be the best thing.
However, I do agree that having more than one ship would look great, and this will be the case in the pirate settlement I'll build on the other side of the island. I think I'll have 2 or 3 in there

Test Subject
#390 Old 25th May 2018 at 7:57 PM
So beautiful and creative! Your worlds are amazing!!

Do you have any tips on creating your own worlds.. one thing I really struggle with is making the terrain feel unique and not flat and boring.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#391 Old 28th May 2018 at 8:22 PM
Thank you

I have some landscaping tutorials on my blog: http://nilxisdesigns.blogspot.com.es/p/tutoriales.html (They're in Spanish but with Google Translate and the images it's easy to understand).
Apart from that, I recommend using pictures of real landscapes as a reference. I have a folder with lots of pictures of many different types of landscapes that I think I can use as inspiration at some point, or you can just Google them.
And of course, practice is key, the more you practice the more you learn
I hope this helps!

Test Subject
#392 Old 27th Jun 2018 at 3:52 AM
Medieval careers
https://www.sendspace.com/file/ulzzxm

Oh boy would love to have this file as well if you have it and are willing!! it is IMPOSSIBLE to find anywhere! D:

Also so pleased to see a new update <3
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#393 Old 5th Aug 2018 at 11:50 AM Last edited by Nilxis : 6th Aug 2018 at 3:49 PM.
Hi everyone, it's time for an update

This update is mostly about landscapes, I've been creating new areas and also revisiting some others. Now there are no unfinished areas between the port and the opposite side of the coastline, where I've started creating a very important part of Uranesia. I've also finished the City in the mountains, for good, so now there is one half of the island that is done, and another half that is empty. However, the empty half will only contain around 10-15% of the lots, so it will be much faster to build Here's some pics:

More soon!

Mad Poster
#394 Old 6th Aug 2018 at 1:53 AM
WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Love it and really like the pirate architecture. Amazing work and pics as always.
Forum Resident
#395 Old 9th Aug 2018 at 3:50 PM
Wow! That's all I can say. The amount of detail and work you put into this is amazing! Your Barcelona is still my favorite travel destination for my Sims -- so many beautiful things to see and do there! Can't wait to play this world! :D
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#396 Old 12th Aug 2018 at 8:10 PM
@daisylee, I'm glad you like it! In case anyone is wondering, the pirate architecture is mostly inspired by the Polynesian one

@olomaya, Thanks! And I'm happy you have enjoyed Barcelona, Uranesia will offer a very different playing style, but I hope it will be as interesting and fun

Test Subject
#397 Old 13th Aug 2018 at 4:03 AM
The landscape & the water are looking better than I've ever seen anywhere! The lush is flabbergasting!
I'm not sure if you're placing spawners, but (as a big time collection-freak) I know I'll destroy my eyes looking for them among these (gorgeous) trees and bushes!
Can you just release it already, though?! I've got your Tumblr as a fixed tab on my browser and I check it every single day...
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#398 Old 18th Aug 2018 at 5:43 PM
@MsRed thank you for your comment
I haven't placed any spawners yet, but I'll surely do it!
Hahah I wish I had finished the world already, but I will post a new update very soon!

Field Researcher
Original Poster
#399 Old 21st Aug 2018 at 8:19 PM Last edited by Nilxis : 24th Sep 2018 at 10:29 AM.
Hi! I've finished the Pirate Settlement sooner than expected, so here's a new update
Click below to see the pictures and information about it:

PS: I have to update the first post someday because many things have changed

Mad Poster
#400 Old 21st Aug 2018 at 8:55 PM
Damn, I'll have to take some screenshots again. It was 1/4th done when I last checked, now you're halfway.

insert signature here
( Join my dumb Discord server if you're into the whole procrastination thing. But like, maybe tomorrow. )
Page 16 of 22