Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Theorist
#476 Old 12th Jul 2020 at 6:54 PM
I'd be very much interested in playing it in challenge mode - it would resemble Sims Castaway Stories in a way. By your description, it would fuse the linearity of Castaway Stories through storytelling and discoveries about the world, and the non-linearity of World Adventures tombs, where the player wouldn't be taught what to do every step of the challenge, but rather figure things out on their own? If so, I think exiting the game to find additional information, background stories and keys required to advance the challenge would be a fantastic addition.

Perhaps not much so for players with low-end computers, but a world this big isn't really suited for such machines anyway.
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#477 Old 13th Jul 2020 at 3:31 PM
The world looks wonderful!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I really like the idea of the challenge but if I have to go in and out of the game constantly that will drive me nuts. If there is external information that we can print out and refer to that would work for me. We can follow what is there as we play along. I do that with game walkthroughs so do not have to go back and forth and back and forth and..........

This is all very exciting news! Thank you for the update!
Test Subject
#478 Old 14th Jul 2020 at 2:08 AM
Je suis extrêmement intéressée. Si il y a une liste d'inscription, je me note !
Staff - Moderator
staff: moderator
#479 Old 14th Jul 2020 at 9:21 AM
Quote: Originally posted by doctorimu
Je suis extrêmement intéressée. Si il y a une liste d'inscription, je me note !

Please post in english or provide an english traslation when posting on this site.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#480 Old 14th Jul 2020 at 10:03 PM Last edited by Nilxis : 14th Jul 2020 at 10:22 PM.
Thanks for all your comments and insight! I'm glad that you like the idea and that you are interested Let me reply to your questions and comment on some of the things you mention:

@jje1000, these are all important things to consider, thanks for taking the time to put all this together, it's very helpful!

Quote:
I am definitely interested in a narrative challenge (WA worlds) and/or utilizing the world as an restricted-but-open-ended challenge world (i.e. Midnight Island).
I think the needs for both will be a bit different- with general conditions/passive backstory guiding a challenge world, while a narrative world will require more in terms of active story-telling and quests.

This will be definitely a narrative challenge, so much closer to the WA worlds than to the Midnight Sun Challenge. All players will end up in the same place and go through the same events of the same story, so no open ending here. Maybe at some points there might be small deviations if it's interesting, realistic and easy enough to do, but they will take you shortly back to the same track as everybody else. It will be about following a story rather than making your own, so yes, active storytelling and quests, as you say. It could also be described as a role playing challenge in a life simulation game.

Quote:
I think the majority of information should be conveyed in-game, with maybe a manual or website as supplementary information (i.e. as a guidebook with sketches like in Uncharted, and or a map).

Yes, that's it! We'll include as much as possible in-game, but there will still be a website, at least to host the download page of the world, the general instructions for the challenge and a guide on how to set up your game before you start playing, plus useful links, pictures and information for those who want to learn more. I also thought about making a map

Quote:
Will it be a savegame or a new world?

The .sims3pack world file will be unpopulated, and the populated version prepared for the challenge will be uploaded as a save file.

Quote:
What EPs+SPs will be utilized?

World Adventures, Ambitions, Late Night (just for a few objects), Showtime, Supernatural, Seasons and Island Paradise. No SPs or Store content.

Quote:
How many days can you run it for using the normal TS3 simulation (and/or NRAAS)?

Maybe you’re referring to the Traveler mod? It won’t be necessary, you will play the challenge in Uranesia as a “home” world, so no limit of days to complete it. The length will depend on how fast each player's progress is. So story progression will need to be turned off to stop sims from ageing, doing crazy stuff and messing up everything.

Quote:
You may need NRAAS to disable parts of TS3's simulation, and to keep sims in place if necessary./ You will need NRAAS to control the NPCs and townies.

We’ll use NRAAS to prepare the save file but very likely the players will also need to download some mods to control some options. About NPCs, we’re planning to have a pool of custom NPCs so that the game uses them when necessary.

Quote:
If so, it might be better suited by disabling aging and basically making a world almost like a RPG world where the NPCs and world are static (to an extent), and your active sims are the ones causing the change.

Exactly!

Quote:
How much information can you convey in-game? I think Deep Conversations and custom WA quests are a great way of adding more RPG elements, though the modding aspect may need to be explored more. / In TS3, there's one main RPG progression mechanic at the moment- keys and doors. What other ways of in-game progression are there?

This is what we are trying to figure out at the moment so I can’t give a detailed answer. The tomb objects and mechanisms from WA will be useful in different ways, not only for actual tombs. I will also use recolored inscriptions and images to convey useful information, and I think there should be some other ways but probably not a lot more.

Quote:
In TS3, the only hostile NPCs are zombies, vampires and mummies- will you utilize them?

None of these creatures will be included in the population. Zombies will still pop up automatically, unfortunately, so, since it seems like they can be disabled with NRAAS Returner, that will be mentioned in the guide for setting up the game.

Quote:
Are there any ways of modding TS3's game simulation mechanics to create more challenges/limiting conditions? (I.e. in another post-apocalyptic challenge, meteors were made to fall all the time) / Can you block off some of the immersion-breaking parts of the game? I.e. no cellphone, limited build-buy? / Can the UI be made more immersive? It would be amazing if TSM's UI could be converted to TS3, but that's quite a lot of work.

Probably there are, but for this challenge I don’t think it will be necessary to make the default basic conditions of the game more challenging or limited, since it won’t really feature survival elements or this sort of hardships. About the other questions, some of these additions would be nice, like blocking the cellphone or a custom UI, but since that’s a lot of work and doesn’t really affect the active storytelling playing aspect we won’t change it ourselves. However if someone wants to do it be our guest! Limiting the build-buy options won’t be necessary because the challenge won’t require you to go into the buy-build mode. We did say that it would be nice to edit the titles of the books that you can buy at the registers so that they are suitable for Uranesia. But in general, if it’s stuff that doesn’t directly impact the authenticity of what is featured in the story and the lore, we’re not really planning to mod it.

About the questions from the second list, I think my responses and comments so far answer them too. I’ll just say that the NPC outfit editor looks like it could be useful, thanks for the link!

@topp, I never really played the Sims Castaway Stories, but that sounds a bit like it!

Quote:
where the player wouldn't be taught what to do every step of the challenge, but rather figure things out on their own?

Yes! There will be instructions but they will not always be straightforward. You’ll have to put yourself in the protagonist’s shoes and figure out what to do in some situations with the information you have at the moment.

Quote:
Perhaps not much so for players with low-end computers, but a world this big isn't really suited for such machines anyway.

This is probably the biggest problem for the challenge and just playing in general. Even though the world is not as big as it looks, it is very detailed and that means that not all computers can run it comfortably. The world was always meant to be big, but still I’ll try to make is as accessible as possible.

@daisylee
Quote:
I really like the idea of the challenge but if I have to go in and out of the game constantly that will drive me nuts. If there is external information that we can print out and refer to that would work for me. We can follow what is there as we play along.

This is a very valid concern. All the information that needs to be external will be hosted on the Uranesia webpage, and it will be organized and easy to access and navigate, but I’ll also provide the same information as PDFs (as somebody suggested on tumblr) so it can be printed or accessed without Internet connection. Another option would be checking the webpage from a cellphone or another device so you don’t need to minimize the game. In any case, the challenge/story will probably be divided in chapters, and I’ll try to avoid mixing in-game and external info during the chapters, trying to concentrate everything in two differentiated parts. You’ll probably won’t play a lot chapters in one (real life) day, so the going back and forth will be minimal

@doctorimu, at the moment there is no such thing because the testing period is still far, so stay tuned for news in future updates!

Find all my creations here:
My blog: Nilxis Designs // My Tumblr page: http://nilxis.tumblr.com
Test Subject
#481 Old 23rd Jul 2020 at 8:22 AM
Hum, I am sorry, I touhgt the automatic traduction was in two direction. I said I ma very interested to test the challenge of Uranesia. It's a wonderful world ; my favorite.
Theorist
#482 Old 28th Jul 2020 at 12:20 PM Last edited by tizerist : 31st Aug 2020 at 4:18 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by jje1000
limited build-buy?

There is a mod for that
https://www.nexusmods.com/thesims3/mods/107/?

#BlairWitchPetition
TS3 NEEDS: TENNIS COURTS > BUSES > PIGS/SHEEP
Can't find stuff in build and buy mode? http://www.nexusmods.com/thesims3/mods/1/?
Test Subject
#483 Old 24th Aug 2020 at 12:41 PM
It's really a wonderful, magic world. You are the best !
Lab Assistant
#484 Old 4th Sep 2020 at 7:02 PM
@Nilxis :

Just like everyone else in this thread I am totally amazed by this world and the idea of a related challenge. It is such a huge project and it is already inspiring to see someone putting so much work and dedication in it over so many years. I would love to play in this world and I don't care about how much info needs to be retrieved from external sources for that Thank you so much for all the wonderful moments you've created for all of us over the last years and thank you in advance for this beautiful creation.

By reading through the first post again, I realized that you've specified that Showtime is needed as EP for this world. Unfortunately this is the one out of two EPs I've skipped until now, because I just don't like the content... and it is getting difficult to get EPs for a fair amount of money nowadays (actually I don't want to pay 40 Euros for a game expansion that is as old as Showtime and that is the current price when you go the straight forward Origin approach ) So I thought I could carefully ask how important Showtime is for the world and the challenge to work...? If you need to get this genie lamp from a magician playing dominoes to pass chapter 3 of the story... well than I'll have to get my stuff together and buy this EP. But if it is only for some really pretty trees or some inhabitants will be mad at me for not having a chin-up bar in the gym So If you can give me a hint on how important it is to fetch this EP, I will be very grateful.
Field Researcher
#485 Old 18th Sep 2020 at 4:39 AM
I'm so amazed by this world.
The creativity is just mindblowing, not to mention the passion and commitment.
I'm looking forward to playing this world so much!

Your questions, if player/admirer input is still need:

Will you be interested in playing the challenge?
What do you think about the interactive story + exploring + quests format?

Oh yes, very much!
I love World Adventures and I always wanted there to be more adventure worlds with quests, so this format is very interesting to me!

But I also appreciate that the world file will be empty, because I wonder if the world will be playable at all without the save file?
Would I be able to move in my own sims and build in this world without having major part of it unavailable because it is set up to work as a challenge with the save file?

How would you feel about playing this challenge if, because of the game's restrictions, the in-game part has to be combined with getting information from an external web page, and thus going back and forth between the game and this page throughout the challenge to get all the information and follow the story?
I wouldn't mind that at all, I already use my phone and tablet to look up all kinds of things relating to Sims while I play.
I would of course want the major part of all the information to be in game, but I'm well aware of the game's restrictions and I wouldn't want to miss out on in-depth gameplay/lore just because of this.
I also really like that there will be a site with information on how to set up the game to best present the challenge. I'm a big friend of game-changing mods, so it is not a problem for me to need to download something specific for this world.

Looking forward to the next update!
:lovestruc
Test Subject
#486 Old 22nd Sep 2020 at 10:35 AM
• Will you be interested in playing the challenge?
-- Okay, but maybe we can also have a free playing version.

• What do you think about the interactive story + exploring + quests format?
-- I think it's ok if I can finish everything in some short playing sessions. For EP1:WA I activated testingcheatsenabled, etc all the time to prevent motives decay and teleport, when playing a new save game I don't want to repeat everything all over again.. I really appreciate all the scripted/RPG elements but I know I will end up mostly just enjoying the view around or making some new buildings with Store content, sometimes finding something new when walking around is cool too, some remote ruins there aren't really that hidden I think and we can easily check if one lot have a hidden basement so maybe you could leave some hidden gems like that.. Naturally when we are searching for collectibles spawner or buying things we will explore many spots too ^^

• How would you feel about playing this challenge if, because of the game's restrictions, the in-game part has to be combined with getting information from an external web page, and thus going back and forth between the game and this page throughout the challenge to get all the information and follow the story? You would still end up spending most of the time in-game, but we are afraid that taking players out of the game might disencourage some people
-- It's fine, we can use our phone or tablet to check that while playing.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#487 Old 23rd Sep 2020 at 7:48 PM
@Smyrrna, sorry for the late reply! I haven't used a lot from Showtime, it's one of the least used EPs from the bunch along with Late Night and maybe Seasons. Here's an approximate visual guide about which objects I have used and how much:

When it comes to lot types, I think Uranesia only includes the live show venue (at the theater), and I think there's some clothing items too but @FuruFuruu will be able to tell you better. In regards to the challenge, at the moment I can't think of any key moment or mission that will require a Showtime interaction, like meeting or playing with a genie, but I can't tell 100% for sure. So, yes it's one of the least used EPs in comparison to WA or IP for example, however I'd still recommend that you get it for the full experience. Also I'm not sure how your computer would be able to handle the world without it, it depends on how powerful it is. Some people might some others might not. But if you get it please don't rush! Probably it will be much cheaper by the time the world is finished

Quote:
I would love to play in this world and I don't care about how much info needs to be retrieved from external sources for that :P

Yay, good to hear that!

@Eehna, thanks for the positive feedback and glad to see you wouldn't mind those restrictions
Quote:
But I also appreciate that the world file will be empty, because I wonder if the world will be playable at all without the save file?
Would I be able to move in my own sims and build in this world without having major part of it unavailable because it is set up to work as a challenge with the save file?

The savefile will be optional and the world will work just fine without it, it will just be unpopulated and not suited for the challenge. I encourage everyone to play the challenge first with the savefile, and then you can remove it and play other types of gameplay if you want.

@Valgon57, good to see you're flexible about this too!
Quote:
when playing a new save game I don't want to repeat everything all over again.. I really appreciate all the scripted/RPG elements but I know I will end up mostly just enjoying the view around or making some new buildings with Store content, sometimes finding something new when walking around is cool too, some remote ruins there aren't really that hidden I think and we can easily check if one lot have a hidden basement so maybe you could leave some hidden gems like that.. Naturally when we are searching for collectibles spawner or buying things we will explore many spots too ^^

Since the challenge won't have a specific duration or time limit, you can "pause" it whenever you want and then go back to where you were, without having to start all over again. It's a bit like reading a book, just remember where your bookmark is. And if, while playing the challenge, you want to "freestyle" a little bit and do other things, you can do that too. Just be careful because if you go to certain places you might find spoilers, and I wouldn't recommend messing with the buildings either for this reason. Again, just like if you were reading a book and you're in chapter 4 and then you want to jump to chapter 9 or start drawing on chapter 10's pages, do it at your own risk
Screenshots

Test Subject
#488 Old 6th Oct 2020 at 5:22 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Nilxis
@Valgon57, good to see you're flexible about this too!

Since the challenge won't have a specific duration or time limit, you can "pause" it whenever you want and then go back to where you were, without having to start all over again. It's a bit like reading a book, just remember where your bookmark is. And if, while playing the challenge, you want to "freestyle" a little bit and do other things, you can do that too. Just be careful because if you go to certain places you might find spoilers, and I wouldn't recommend messing with the buildings either for this reason. Again, just like if you were reading a book and you're in chapter 4 and then you want to jump to chapter 9 or start drawing on chapter 10's pages, do it at your own risk

Yeah sometimes we find a flashback or spoiler-y part in a story
Lab Assistant
#489 Old 7th Oct 2020 at 9:50 AM
Quote: Originally posted by tizerist
Medieval careers
https://www.sendspace.com/file/ulzzxm

Is there any chance you can upload The Medieval Career Replacements by Inga again. I can't find it anywhere
Test Subject
#490 Old 12th Nov 2020 at 5:26 AM
@Nilxis Any new info? ^^
Can't wait to explore Uranesia..
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#491 Old 29th Nov 2020 at 3:38 PM Last edited by Nilxis : 29th Nov 2020 at 8:18 PM.
Hey @Valgon57, thanks for the interest!
I've been quite inactive these past months: I started a side project that was supposed to be quick but it took a long longer than expected (this building), and right after that my computer broke down. I had to get a new one and move all my files there, but now finally everything is set up and I've already started to work on Uranesia again.
I don't know when I'll have more updates but the project is active

Test Subject
#492 Old 4th Dec 2020 at 9:37 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Nilxis
Hey @Valgon57, thanks for the interest!
I've been quite inactive these past months: I started a side project that was supposed to be quick but it took a long longer than expected (this building), and right after that my computer broke down. I had to get a new one and move all my files there, but now finally everything is set up and I've already started to work on Uranesia again.
I don't know when I'll have more updates but the project is active

@Nilxis
Okay great, thanks for the info
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#493 Old 10th Jan 2021 at 9:59 PM
UPDATE TIME!
Happy new year, everyone!
Here's a small update about the changes I've been making in different buildings, especially inside the temples, where I wanted not only to improve the look but also to make the colors, textures, decoration, etc. more representative of the deity/natural element the temple is dedicated to, or its history. Let's see it:

That's all, hope you like it and hope I can post more updates soon!

Test Subject
#494 Old 10th Jan 2021 at 11:16 PM
It is stunning !! You really have an eye for color and shape!
Test Subject
#495 Old 12th Jan 2021 at 3:22 PM
It's amazing !
Theorist
#496 Old 12th Jan 2021 at 8:35 PM
I wish to run away there and get lost in one of those majestic temples!
Test Subject
#497 Old 23rd Jan 2021 at 10:16 AM
Nice update

The story arc might be finished too, can't wait for the release
Mad Poster
#498 Old 24th Jan 2021 at 7:37 PM
Looks amazing! Thank you for the update!
Instructor
#499 Old 24th Jan 2021 at 10:01 PM
Stunning awesome and words fail I cannot wait until I can play in such a beautiful world
Test Subject
#500 Old 25th Jan 2021 at 6:04 PM
I don't often comment on forums, I really don't. However, I'm making an exception here because this Sims 3 world is simply stunning, amazing, gorgeous and pretty. Kudos to Nilxis for their labour of love, it truly is a masterpiece and I, for one, can not wait until the final version is ready for download. It will make for a very welcome addition to all the less professional worlds that were provided by EA and Maxis.
Page 20 of 22