Replies: 15 (Who?), Viewed: 1566 times.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#1 Old 11th Feb 2021 at 6:48 AM
Default Nvidia RTX on Sims 3?
Kinda read up a little on the new Nvidia RTX tech. Just curious if anyone else has tried it and if it has any effect on TS3?

Sanity is overrated.

Nitromon is a type of Pokemon encountered in the Pokemon Nitrome Version series.

There. Mystery solved.
Advertisement
Test Subject
#2 Old 11th Feb 2021 at 8:40 PM
I think the game would have to be updated to allow that. I know Reshade has a ray tracing filter, but that’s not really ray tracing as expected. I haven’t tried it in sims 3, but it’s basically useless for actual gameplay in 4.

Unless there’s some kind of technology I’m unaware of to cause auto-ray tracing in a game. I have a 3080 and there’s no difference. Would be really great, though. RTX in cyberpunk was delicious.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#3 Old 11th Feb 2021 at 9:28 PM
Oh that's too bad, I was wondering if it is like their HBAO+ setting where it can be applied virtually to any 3D game.

Sanity is overrated.

Nitromon is a type of Pokemon encountered in the Pokemon Nitrome Version series.

There. Mystery solved.
Mad Poster
#4 Old 11th Feb 2021 at 9:37 PM
Played with it a fair bit over the past years. Of course you can inject TS3 with all sorts of shader effects but the game itself has no idea what to do with them. Use at your own risk until someone figures out a way to be more clever about it.

Hypocrisy is only okay if I do it.
( Join my dumb Discord server if you're into the whole procrastination thing. But like, maybe tomorrow. )
Instructor
#5 Old 17th Feb 2021 at 6:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dockamorpher
I think the game would have to be updated to allow that. I know Reshade has a ray tracing filter, but that’s not really ray tracing as expected. I haven’t tried it in sims 3, but it’s basically useless for actual gameplay in 4.

Unless there’s some kind of technology I’m unaware of to cause auto-ray tracing in a game. I have a 3080 and there’s no difference. Would be really great, though. RTX in cyberpunk was delicious.

I've already wondered whenever I got the RTX 2070 when Minecraft got a beta RTX ON update. Of course, the beta/official RTX update needed the engine to be updated for such of a feat. It might be possible for TS3 and if it is I would imagine may be too much work. Or perhaps a modder may not even be able to access certain core systems that would need to be changed to accommodate real-time ray tracing.

Personally, I do notice a slight difference in rendering using a RTX compared to the GTX 660 I came from. Reflections are a bit more reflective, metals a bit more shiny, water looks even nicer, etc. I would love TS3 recreated from the ground up with real-time ray tracing among many other improvements and advancements. But I highly doubt EA/Maxis would do justice for a remake considering all things TS4. A huge project like that would need its own studio again so to bring back The Sims Studio but rename it to The Sims 3 Studio.

Anyway, yeah CP2077 is awesome! Except for the glitches and immersion breaking things...but other than that as of now I give it a 7/10. Just finished the game a few days ago and ready for my 2nd playthrough. I didn't expect to finish the game first with my male V but it was cool. I wish the voice acting for male V was a lot better though.

Because I'm Fragile...but I'm not "that" fragile.
Mad Poster
#6 Old 17th Feb 2021 at 8:13 PM
Those graphics certainly have come a long way. Compare the ever popular Cities Skylines with its plastic looking graphics and very primitive reflections, at least as out of date as TS3, with something recent like Transport Fever 2 which renders thousands of buildings in beautiful HDR with colourful models that have shine, gloss, refraction, nice crisp textures and beautiful little roof tiles. You can't look into them, but everytime a vehicle drives past you can see everyone in their seats.

One is pre-HDR, pre RTX, pre 4K, pre everything we now use to describe a good looking game, and the other embraces them to a pretty good extent. Doesn't really support RTX yet unfortunately. Nice global illumination, which TS3 needs to be tricked into doing, and very nice water reflections too, but those aren't particularly hard.

Either way, it's sad that Cyberpunk 2077 completely failed to impress me. Where the first GTA V trailer 10 years ago had a good wow effect, I remember thinking this would never run on a PS3 (and then it barely did to be fair), CP2077 sort of underwhelmed. Maybe it's because of that new Blade Runner movie. I haven't watched it fully as I don't care for Ryan Gosling in the slightest, but visually it really kinda set a standard.
Horizon Zero Dawn kind of sold me on HDR when it came out. I thought it might just be another fad like 3DTVs or VR, but it's far more than just some novel display technology. Soon I won't be able to watch anything without it.

( Join my dumb Discord server if you're into the whole procrastination thing. But like, maybe tomorrow. )
Instructor
#7 Old 18th Feb 2021 at 4:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AGuyCalledPi
Those graphics certainly have come a long way. Compare the ever popular Cities Skylines with its plastic looking graphics and very primitive reflections, at least as out of date as TS3, with something recent like Transport Fever 2 which renders thousands of buildings in beautiful HDR with colourful models that have shine, gloss, refraction, nice crisp textures and beautiful little roof tiles. You can't look into them, but everytime a vehicle drives past you can see everyone in their seats.

One is pre-HDR, pre RTX, pre 4K, pre everything we now use to describe a good looking game, and the other embraces them to a pretty good extent. Doesn't really support RTX yet unfortunately. Nice global illumination, which TS3 needs to be tricked into doing, and very nice water reflections too, but those aren't particularly hard.

Either way, it's sad that Cyberpunk 2077 completely failed to impress me. Where the first GTA V trailer 10 years ago had a good wow effect, I remember thinking this would never run on a PS3 (and then it barely did to be fair), CP2077 sort of underwhelmed. Maybe it's because of that new Blade Runner movie. I haven't watched it fully as I don't care for Ryan Gosling in the slightest, but visually it really kinda set a standard.
Horizon Zero Dawn kind of sold me on HDR when it came out. I thought it might just be another fad like 3DTVs or VR, but it's far more than just some novel display technology. Soon I won't be able to watch anything without it.

Like I figured when I read a bit about what CP2077 would be about, I knew I would be interested in the story. I find there are quite a lot of deep meaning in certain video games that are more than thought provoking. Things that many will not see and are not aware of or understand or even believe in. Anyway, I can see how Death Stranding and Cyberpunk 2077 are connected in a way both games are esoteric in relation to the real world or the fake world hence The Matrix reference and the spiritual realm. So yeah, story wise I'm not disappointed with CP2077 or gameplay but I am disappointed the game was not released in the best polished state like Death Stranding or Ghost of Tsushima.

I still have not experienced HDR so don't know much about it personally except colors are supposed be more vibrant or something like that. It's a shame 3DTV's didn't last long as I really enjoyed it and now there aren't really many movies anymore coming out in 3D to watch at home. VR on the other hand I doubt is a fad and many gamer's still use it. Though, I haven't played PSVR in awhile because it's cold out there in the room, lol. But I'll get back around to it eventually and possibly finally play Resident Evil 7 in VR in preparation for Resident Evil VIIage.

Because I'm Fragile...but I'm not "that" fragile.
Mad Poster
#8 Old 18th Feb 2021 at 9:42 PM
As far as HDR is concerned, it's a requirement for all displays I plan to buy going forward. Especially the new TV. You wouldn't have bought a 4:3 standard def television in 2007 either.

Mad Poster
#9 Old 18th Feb 2021 at 10:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AGuyCalledPi

TBH, Cities Skylines' engine does have some nice bells and whistles (i.e. some parallax mapping for interiors, things like vehicles casting light), but it's flooded out by a generally bad art direction + bad default lighting. The shadows are too dark, the highlights are too bright, all the roads turn into mirrors when it rains, and there's weird colour grading in general (purple-brown fog, anyone?). None of the building assets really mesh together due to the tiny zone sizes, and so default cities always look like a mish-mash of styles.

In the hands of modders who have rationalized these problems, a lot has been fixed, and I'd say the game can look amazing in the right hands. Too bad it requires an entire ecosystem of mods to do so... hmm... almost reminds me of the third installment of the sims series that we all cherish on this forum...

But yes, you're right- Cities XL, despite being a far inferior game, has a better art direction and cohesiveness than Cities Skylines- it proves that you can have all the fidelity and whistles you want in a game engine, but it can be wasted if not used properly.
Mad Poster
#10 Old 19th Feb 2021 at 8:48 AM Last edited by AGuyCalledPi : 19th Feb 2021 at 9:00 AM.
Cities Skylines runs on a free engine designed for platformers and mobile games. TS3 has the virtue of running on a custom built engine but that does probably make it less mod friendly than something that runs in Unity. I've been surprised though - you'd think older games with more compact simulations and lower detail graphics would run better. Yet absolute heavyweight Transport Fever 2 remains playable on 5 year old hardware, with medium graphics settings across the board? I've got 50.000 people in there, surely it can do worse than running at two-thirds normal speed.

Scholar
#11 Old 2nd Mar 2021 at 4:06 AM
While we know that TS3 is far from optimised, I still don't think that it is fair to compare it to City Skylines. Agents in city skylines have no social behaviour and a lot less freedom and possible tasks to do then sims in TS3. The pathing is also simpler (when comparing 1 sim to 1 agent). But it is still cool to see so many agents being simulated though.

I would like to see a next city builder where the agents are programmed to do more then just routing. Things like social behaviour like in games like banished. So that those same ppl you see in city skylines, stop for a chat or to drink in a cafe on their way to the stores etc. And develop relationships. Fights that can break out. Riots after football matches etc. Protesters. On the scale of city skylines. But that might require some faster computers maybe
Inventor
#12 Old 2nd Mar 2021 at 2:31 PM
Cities Skylines is not a pretty game. It can look okay from a distance, but the art direction is so bland and uninspired, it never looks good up close.

The Sims 3's engine does not support ray tracing. I mean, you can force it with ReShade's RT Shader, but I imagine it'd have a massive performance hit even on an RTX 3090.

DEFAULT (NO RTX)

RESHADE RTX SHADER
Mad Poster
#13 Old 7th Mar 2021 at 3:00 PM
That shader certainly seems to be trying its best but man.......it's not working. With some serious tweaking I think it would totally work though

Mad Poster
#14 Old 7th Mar 2021 at 3:07 PM
Actually I just put the two on top of each other in Photoshop......it's definitely doing a lot. Just needs some values adjusted and definitely fix the brightness on that. Might take a look at it when I get home

Mad Poster
#15 Old 8th Mar 2021 at 11:33 PM
IMO the issue is that there isn't normally a lot of building detail nor tone to work with in TS3 + the shadow system is rather limited, so the effects aren't as apparent.

But for instance, I can see a bit of light bounce on the ceiling of the building on the right, and some shadows around the bushes.

Overall, I'd say that a good ambient occlusion system would be necessary to add some of that tone beforehand, plus maybe some more varied materials in the builds (i.e. some shiny materials).
Mad Poster
#16 Old 9th Mar 2021 at 2:20 PM
Not sure how much there is to gain there, all the larger models in TS3 are spec/normal mapped and not particularly bad in terms of texture sizes either. I'd look at the game's built in AO features instead, they're not very well understood I think but I've seen some cool stuff happen while messing with them. In theory that might enable better shading on a whole variety of objects.

I've also wanted to do something else for a while, which is fix those damn terrain paints. The least I'd like to see is the same thing every regular object gets, a spec map and a normal map, and play with the values on that until it looks good. I can imagine the roads look better with appropriate detailing and a bit of faux depth, and I can imagine the grass would look at least passable.

Problem with sticking some RTX shader on through Reshade is that you get your image buffer and your depth buffer, but no further information. It just makes stuff very, very, very shiny