Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Theorist
Original Poster
#1 Old 13th Feb 2015 at 3:22 AM
Default Mall of Sims - WIP; Feedback Sought
Hello fellow MTS'ers I'm in need of your help in the creation of my next upload here at MTS. With the anticipation of Get To Work, the first EP of TS4 being released in the coming months, I've decided to take on a mega project that should take me until release or even a bit after it. The plan here is to create a "megamall" (can't do much on a 50x50) that will house several stores (upwards to 15) ranging from clothing, to home furnishings, to whatever the else we can think of and create that sort of mid-end high-end modern style mall that can be seen throughout the United States.

The mall is currently placed on the "Oakenstead Drive" lot in Willow Creek, in hopes of the new neighborhoods coming with GTW providing a large 50x50 lot in a more urban setting, if not, then the mall shall just stay where it currently is. Anyways, without further ado some pictures with captions!

Any and all feedback is welcome! I want to make this lot as close to my tastes and as close to all of yours since I shall be sharing it with you all. Thanks in advance, hope I get some replies.
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#2 Old 13th Feb 2015 at 1:11 PM
Looks amazing, just one thing though. I think the front-left looks a little too modern, and looks like a house. I like the main entrance and I think if you redesign the front-left to match the entrance a little more, it would look perfect. (This is not meant to be offensive or mean, just some simple feedback)

Simalary Studios

Contact Me
Send me a PM, if you need to contact me for anything.
Blenderized to Pieces
retired moderator
#3 Old 13th Feb 2015 at 6:30 PM
Hello. I see you have an ambitious start. I am anticipating the new Ep also. I would say there are too many windows. Most malls do not have large windows all over the building. They are faceless and use brick or textured walls. The only exterior 'shop' windows are on ground level and at the large entries. Inside, I would expect to see a lot of windows but not outside.

Let's see what you've done since the first post.
Theorist
Original Poster
#4 Old 13th Feb 2015 at 11:25 PM
Anddd fast forward 20 hours later! Viola!

Quote: Originally posted by simalary44
Looks amazing, just one thing though. I think the front-left looks a little too modern, and looks like a house. I like the main entrance and I think if you redesign the front-left to match the entrance a little more, it would look perfect. (This is not meant to be offensive or mean, just some simple feedback)

Thanks for the feedback! After you pointed out that it looked too modern and like a house, it became an eyesore to me and I couldn't stop picturing it being a home lol. That's not your fault though, as I wasn't entirely sure about it anyways, that's why I went ahead and rehauled the entire thing to suit the entrance and right-side a lot more. I believe the rehaul added a bit more depth and mall look as well, so thanks for that! Also no need to put a disclaimer, I take no offense to comments.

Quote: Originally posted by porkypine
Hello. I see you have an ambitious start. I am anticipating the new Ep also. I would say there are too many windows. Most malls do not have large windows all over the building. They are faceless and use brick or textured walls. The only exterior 'shop' windows are on ground level and at the large entries. Inside, I would expect to see a lot of windows but not outside.

Let's see what you've done since the first post.

Hi there! Yes, it was a very ambitious start, and I agree GTW looks superb, hope it delivers! In regards to too many windows, I know, and I was a little unsure about that, however I didn't want a bland looking mall, so I think I may have gotten it right with the rehaul, and I've taken out a lot more windows and added "billboards" if you must, as decoration and to give the mall that more commercial look in place of the windows. Additionally, I'm modeling this mall after a couple malls nearby me that have been recently renovated (3-5 years) or are undergoing renovation, as well as a few inspirational renderings for some mall exteriors I found on google which I will leave a couple of them below. It seems to me that it's more common for an urban mall (which is what this is meant to be) to have more windows than facelessness.

Again, thanks for the feedback guys! I really do appreciate it, I wish this forum was a bit busier for more diverse critiques, but I suppose it'll grow down the line.
Theorist
Original Poster
#5 Old 19th Feb 2015 at 1:36 AM
No replies? Welp, guess I'll just keep posting my progress! I've pretty much gotten the front exterior to a good point, and the interior is all lit up in the main corridor with some temp lights (waiting to see what GTW will provide for lighting, if not then I'll seek out custom lights) and the floorplans for the stores are set. I believe we currently have nearly 30 stores in the mall, that's a bunch! Also the food court is kind of set up, I need to see how much space I actually needed so that's why there's tables and counters but they are most likely going to stay. Lastly, window work on the exterior is somewhat done, I just need to paint the rest of the exterior and get a feel for everything.

Again, would love more feedback, 354 views and only 2 replies D:

Perhaps, maybe I should do a poll? If you like what you see and think I should keep going then hit love, if you think the food court needs some work hit funny, if you think the exterior windows looks fine hit agree, if you think the exterior windows need to be downsized hit disagree, if you think the store fronts look good hit helpful, and if you think the store fronts look bad hit unhelpful?! Maybe that will spark something I hope.
Theorist
Original Poster
#6 Old 23rd Feb 2015 at 3:11 AM Last edited by TMBrandon : 23rd Feb 2015 at 4:49 PM.
I've done some store designs for a Victoria's Secret I'm probably gonna call "Goth's Whisper" and an Apple Store which I'll probably name "Plumbob Store" lol, I'm still working on the names but here's some pictures:
edit: having some issues with the photos, I'll upload later.
edit: Here ya go!

Lab Assistant
#7 Old 23rd Feb 2015 at 7:55 PM
[Just so you know, we discourage double posting, but I do this sometimes too, no worries]

It looks amazing, like WOW. I wish I had talent like that, lol. Glad you are still working on it and good luck.

Simalary Studios

Contact Me
Send me a PM, if you need to contact me for anything.
Test Subject
#8 Old 24th Feb 2015 at 12:56 AM
I like the west window work you did, especially the posters (billboards?). The computer tablet store looks very similar to the iPad shop I've seen at the Cerritos mall, perhaps an addition of a little color and some posters would be nice. The palm trees seem too tall for my taste. Maybe the next game pack will include more plants. I applaud your ambition.

Cynthia
Blenderized to Pieces
retired moderator
#9 Old 1st Mar 2015 at 1:43 AM
That looks very good. I like the colors and textures on the exteriors. Good work.
Test Subject
#10 Old 16th Mar 2015 at 4:57 AM
more updates pls
Forum Resident
#11 Old 17th Mar 2015 at 8:18 PM
Bella's Mystery or Bella's Whisper would be a cute name for the Victoria Secret Store

If you need more funny sim name ideas theres always Cold Issue (Hot Topic- This was in Sims 2)
Test Subject
#12 Old 1st Apr 2015 at 3:51 AM
is it finished?? because i want it for my game