Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Lab Assistant
#22876 Old 2nd Sep 2014 at 3:56 PM
Well I declare Lovecat a YibSim!!!! She has accomplished what no other honorable member of the uber more awesome than awesomesauce fraternity has ever done.....review the game without bias and squealing I an actually less bitter and more impressed with the game now because I finally feel like I can trust the info.

I have some errands to run and I'm interested to see if my car will pull into best buy? I'm still not all that excited but might be willing to give it a chance.

@ happy cow lover......you know life is too short to take a moral stand about a video game. There are many horrible atrosicties that take place everyday, and the world could use your energy, spunk, and determination to help right some wrongs. Just my opinion
Advertisement
Scholar
#22877 Old 2nd Sep 2014 at 3:56 PM
Well, money != fans.

Money alone, yes, The Sims franchise has undoubtedly pulled in more money than any other PC franchise. But that's because the fanbase is buying so many additional 'games' (xpacs etc) per release. So if you have three to five million people buying 15-20 different products for TS2 and then another 15-20 (??) for TS3, plus DLC content, you end up with what can be considered a 'small' fanbase but a fuckton of money. WoW has only had four expansion packs in ten years, and their DLC tends to be cute/social stuff which is not necessary for gameplay. I don't know how Skyrim monetizes.

Quote:
Well I declare Lovecat a YibSim!!!! She has accomplished what no other honorable member of the uber more awesome than awesomesauce fraternity has ever done.....review the game without bias and squealing

Doesn't the bolded part invalidate her ability to be a yib?
Theorist
#22878 Old 2nd Sep 2014 at 3:56 PM
Quote: Originally posted by kjones
Well I declare Lovecat a YibSim!!!!

Please don't. lol

Today I learned you can click on the portrait of a sim at work or at school and "direct" them a la sims 3. That ... is useful information I could have used yesterday. Meh. The tutorial might have covered it, but I wasn't paying attention.
Rogue Redeemer
retired moderator
#22879 Old 2nd Sep 2014 at 3:57 PM
Quote: Originally posted by HystericalParoxysm
Because Imma have to get the damn thing, Imma have to also try playing it. I am tempted to do a Let's Play, despite never having done one before. Youtube doesn't ban you for excessive profanity, right?

Omigod YASS, do it do it doitdoitdoit...!! I'm already seeing it:
Forum Resident
#22880 Old 2nd Sep 2014 at 4:01 PM
Quote: Originally posted by lil bag2
I had a very lengthy reply to this but then I decided there was a much simpler way of saying what I had to say *clears throat* :

Nowadays, you don't need to play a video game to know whether or not you'd like it. Especially not for a sequel that doesn't offer anything its predecessors didn't (it offers less actually). Why do you think reviewers, Let's Players, and Live-streamers are so popular? They're our beta testers.

Like I said, I'm sure TS4 is loads of fun....but why should I or anyone else buy it when there's nothing new as far as game-play is concerned? What's the point? Because it's the Sims? So what? I have the first three Sims. I've never gotten a straight answer out of anyone when I ask that so can somebody who bought the game and loves it as much as Carl explain to me what I'd be missing out on if I stick to TS2 and the occasional TS3? Besides the obvious better graphics and CAS.

Yeah, i know. I'm not condemning that you don't like the look of the game.

But the reviewer said it was a 9/10 and you said that was undeserving. My reply to that is that is that reviewers opinion, if you don't have the game how can you begin to say that their opinion is wrong and that the game doesn't deserve it? I'm not saying you can't say "I dislike this game" but to say someone else's opinion on the game is wrong is what I'm getting at.

I'm not really here to convince anyone to buy the game. Personally I've not played it enough to give it a score, I like it. I feel like the sims do have more personality. My sim runs around insulting people for instance, it's cute to me. I feel like unless I had 100% control over my sim that there are some sims she just can't get along with. If I initiate a conversation with another sim with her, I have to guide every option because otherwise she'll throw in a insult or something mean (because I gave her the mean trait) and I do feel like the traits and stuff have more weight. This is only after a few hours of play and not days, weeks, months.

I feel like this is a better base game than TS3 at least and I'm looking forward to see what they will do with it.
Scholar
#22881 Old 2nd Sep 2014 at 4:03 PM
Quote: Originally posted by gwynne
Well, money != fans.

Money alone, yes, The Sims franchise has undoubtedly pulled in more money than any other PC franchise. But that's because the fanbase is buying so many additional 'games' (xpacs etc) per release. So if you have three to five million people buying 15-20 different products for TS2 and then another 15-20 (??) for TS3, plus DLC content, you end up with what can be considered a 'small' fanbase but a fuckton of money. WoW has only had four expansion packs in ten years, and their DLC tends to be cute/social stuff which is not necessary for gameplay. I don't know how Skyrim monetizes.
That's true. Mr. Patcher just seemed to be all about finance and stuff, so I assumed that we was equalizing fans with money.

well, in either case he's still an idiot for assuming that all women's favorite game is Kim Kardashian: Hollywood.

“I MAY BE A HOGWARTS STUDENT" Hargirid paused angrily. "BUT I AM ALSO A SATANIST!”
Falco - The original Prombat
Scholar
#22882 Old 2nd Sep 2014 at 4:04 PM
Wow, apparently there's a pretty cool twins bug:

More under the tag.

Scholar
#22883 Old 2nd Sep 2014 at 4:06 PM
Quote: Originally posted by TotallyJW
I get what you're saying, but Mr. Patcher is still an idiot.
Skyrim may have a bigger playerbase, but it's only one game + 3 DLCs.
The Sims is a game, 7 expansions, 7 stuff packs, and god knows how many store items.

I'm talking completely out of my ass when I say this, but I'd take a guess that EA has made more money from The Sims 3 than Bethesda has from Skyrim.

I am sure they will after all the yibs can't let people put EA down can they?

There is a big difference were talking here though, the Elder Scrolls fanbase for all 5 of their games is much larger than the Sims fanbase (I would define this as people who have bought at least one full series of Sims games) because Bethesda isn't quite as big on milking the consumer for every last dime they can squeeze from them in terms of DLC, expansions, and merchandising as EA is. Between Morrowind, Oblivion, and Skryim they have only had 9 total expansion/DLC releases and the first two games in the series had no DLC/Expansions. In contrast every Sims series thus far has had at least 7 expansion packs and Sims 2 and 3 also had at least 8 Stuff packs. Expansions typically sold for between 19.99 and 39.99 and stuff packs have typically run between 15.99 and 29.99 depending on the series.

Of course EA is going to make more money, they have twice the expansions (not twice the content since in most cases EP's/SP's could have been combined or included in base game) but that is not a reflection of how many people are going to buy every single game, expansion, DLC etc, This is why the Elder Scrolls series has a serious fan base of 14 million people who have bought everything and then about 7 million more who bought one or two games while the Sims only has about 5 million people as a standard fanbase and about 4 million more who will just buy one or two games.

Also Bethesda does not have as much of a tendency to alienate their fanbase as EA does. We have dealt with multiple unfixed bugs, glitches, etc .. been told it is the fault of our custom content, ignored by customer service, denigrated by Simsgurus and banned from official forums whenever we say anything whatsoever negative about the games so on and so forth.

After Sims 3 came out they actually lost a good segment of the fanbase who had played Sims 1 and 2 because they completely alienated people. This is why there was such a mass exodus of both players and creators when Sims 3 came out. I would suspect the fanbase will lose at least another million players with TS4.

It simply isn't a triple AAA title anymore and EA knows it, why do you think they have invested all of their time and money into Dragon Age Inquisition and the new Battlefield game (and allowed both substantial delays to fix problems with the game engines which was not done for the Sims 4 and how much do you want to bet this was from higher up in EA than Rachel Franklin) and given us what many of us consider to be a steaming pile of angry poop?

Bethesda actually treats their customers pretty good for a corporate organization and I have never had a problem with getting broken things fixed (they actually replaced my 360 copy of Skryim because the disc was corrupted with a physical disc not an Arcade code- EA if that happens these days will give you a download code that forces you to use Origin). They aren't perfect their games can be buggy and glitchy (not as badly as the Sims) but they do treat people better than EA does
Lab Assistant
#22884 Old 2nd Sep 2014 at 4:07 PM

Doesn't the bolded part invalidate her ability to be a yib?

You can't trust EA to pick the right people, so I am overriding their authority and (like a queen) can knight whomever I want! And our favorite color is Purple!! So take that!!

I have been sick and not sleeping well :/
Scholar
#22885 Old 2nd Sep 2014 at 4:07 PM
Aight, reading some users' posts, interesting to hear. So far no big disaster like SimCity. Boring, but that's good for the players. Apparently the game plays better than The Sims 3, which isn't saying much but that's also really good to hear. (I like 3, but damn did that game have issues.) Hearing a lot about bugs. Not sure if they're serious game-breaking ones or just small non-issues or in between. I guess it'll take a few more weeks for any big glitches to emerge.

Not really sold so far. Better performance seems to be the biggest improvement - and not emotions or smarter Sims, neither of which seem apparent in the game - but not enough to justify swapping from The Sims 3. They removed too many things. Of course, I said the same thing with The Sims 3 but got it several years after the initial release, so my opinion may change. Will be interesting to see how the game turns out in the future.

Keep the posts coming. Anyone know if any official reviews have come out yet?

I'm writing a TV series, yeah. It's a cross between True Detective and Pretty Little Liars.
Mad Poster
#22886 Old 2nd Sep 2014 at 4:08 PM Last edited by lil bag2 : 2nd Sep 2014 at 4:28 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by H.O.W
Yeah, i know. I'm not condemning that you don't like the look of the game.

But the reviewer said it was a 9/10 and you said that was undeserving. My reply to that is that is that reviewers opinion, if you don't have the game how can you begin to say that their opinion is wrong and that the game doesn't deserve it? I'm not saying you can't say "I dislike this game" but to say someone else's opinion on the game is wrong is what I'm getting at.

I'm not really here to convince anyone to buy the game. Personally I've not played it enough to give it a score, I like it. I feel like the sims do have more personality. My sim runs around insulting people for instance, it's cute to me. I feel like unless I had 100% control over my sim that there are some sims she just can't get along with. If I initiate a conversation with another sim with her, I have to guide every option because otherwise she'll throw in a insult or something mean (because I gave her the mean trait) and I do feel like the traits and stuff have more weight. This is only after a few hours of play and not days, weeks, months.

I feel like this is a better base game than TS3 at least and I'm looking forward to see what they will do with it.

I didn't say their opinion was wrong. I saw saying I strongly disagreed with it :D

EDIT:
I just read all the pages I missed while I was asleep and from other forums/people I've spoken to about the game....so....much....caving! So many people adamantly against the game yesterday, lining up en masse to buy it today! Some people were really talkin all that good shit a second ago. But then the game came out! I will not be moved EA!

*raises sword* You know how many years it took for me to get into TS3!? I can wait! I can persevere! I can enjoy my Pokemon, Smash Bros, and earlier Sim installments! You wont get a cent out of me until I see a reason to give you a cent! They can take my toddlers. But they can not take my MONEY!!!!
Top Secret Researcher
#22887 Old 2nd Sep 2014 at 4:10 PM
Well I declare Lovecat a YibSim!!!! She has accomplished what no other honorable member of the uber more awesome than awesomesauce fraternity has ever done.....review the game without bias and squealing I an actually less bitter and more impressed with the game now because I finally feel like I can trust the info.

I have some errands to run and I'm interested to see if my car will pull into best buy? I'm still not all that excited but might be willing to give it a chance.

@ happy cow lover......you know life is too short to take a moral stand about a video game. There are many horrible atrosicties that take place everyday, and the world could use your energy, spunk, and determination to help right some wrongs. Just my opinion

People say it's "just a video game". You're right. It is. The Sims is not real. There are far more pressing matters to attend to in the world.

The money you're spending, however, is real. Those hundreds, thousands of dollars/currency that could be spent on the horrible atrocities that take place everyday is allocated to a video game. Unless people have been using Monopoly money to purchase the series, the money players have put in is very, very real. So, in all due respect and courtesy, do not use the "it's just a game" line on me when players are taken days off work and paying car notes with how much money they use.

Thank you for your compliment. I really appreciate it. I do take part in non-Sims, non-video game issues and hope my spunk isn't some young adult pipedream.

~* Childish, Eco-Friendly, Snob, Couch Potato, Inappropriate *~
Field Researcher
#22888 Old 2nd Sep 2014 at 4:11 PM
Wow, apparently there's a pretty cool twins bug:

Christ, why does EA hate babies so much?

I'm almost relieved they took out toddlers, they probably would have been some shit straight out of H.R. Giger.

"We've been attributing the state of The Sims 4 to greed but I think it's time to give sheer incompetence another look."
-Honeywell
Field Researcher
#22889 Old 2nd Sep 2014 at 4:14 PM
Quote: Originally posted by pirate_wolf_12

Keep the posts coming. Anyone know if any official reviews have come out yet?

No official reviews yet, according to Metacritic. I guess EA's strategy paid off; no one had a review copy, now the reviewers need time to actually play it before reviewing it.

"We've been attributing the state of The Sims 4 to greed but I think it's time to give sheer incompetence another look."
-Honeywell
Mad Poster
#22890 Old 2nd Sep 2014 at 4:16 PM
Watching a live stream

Commenter #1: Is The Sims 4 everything you wanted from a sims game?
Commenter #2: It's nothing you wanted and everything you didn't.

Forum Resident
#22891 Old 2nd Sep 2014 at 4:19 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Flaygor
I guess we're in a "Catch 22" situation here. If we all buy it, I agree with you that the next one will be weirder still. But if noone buys it, then we probably won't get anything and will be left hoping that someone else picks up the franchise. Big companies also work on a different logic to us and they may already be going in a different direction, so unfortunately it may not matter what we do.

No offense to anyone but why would anyone want TS5 from the "same" company who poorly executed TS3 and TS4 as well as mismanaged said by one of EA's employee on their Twitter when they got laid off? Let alone SGGraham admitting there were way too many FX people on the team which explains why food sparkles. Like seriously?! Again no offense but I don't understand the logic of it because there is NO logic in the thought process: "It is better to have future Sims games no matter how weird/messed up, than none at all."

Okay, fine but I will not follow. I don't care how much a series "was" good before, I'm not going to continue if it's not worth it the way I see it. The Sims Franchise is not that great for me be okay with whatever they dish out, H E double hockey sticks...NO!

I put up with TS3 because I love the base game features and felt it was a tremendous step up from both TS/TS2 but in some areas a step down and poorly executed. However I bought every EP/SP and almost have every store content but only because I enjoy TS3 a lot and in order to have a fuller complete experience. And guess what? I'm NOT doing that again. Sell me a full complete quality game then we'll see but until then which is probably not ever, I'm not ever supporting EA.

To add: No one who knows exactly what's going on with EA ill business practices needs to complain when they continuously support EA telling them it's ok to treat their consumers like this and have subpar products. It is because us, as consumers, do not stand united which causes EA to continue to not care and do what's right because guess what? CONSUMERS ALLOW IT! We all can complain but the only thing EA hears is money so if we want to be heard then don't support them at all otherwise it's whatever.

PS: Just had to get that off my chest and in no way am intentionally trying to put others down or be mean. I don't care what others do nor like/love but these are just my honest opinions and observations. If you like/love TS4 then by all means I hope it's worth every penny and you all enjoy it for many years to come :D
Lab Assistant
#22892 Old 2nd Sep 2014 at 4:20 PM
@ happycowlover I totally get where you are coming from. Yes, this money that can be spent better, but what appeals to me about this game is the ability to make the world I wish I lived in. It doesn't take away from the realities that I deal with, but it is a nice escape. For me, that is why I am so emotionally invested in this series.

I have a soft spot for radical, passionate youths I'm too old to have that kind of energy anymore, so riot on young people!
Rogue Redeemer
retired moderator
#22893 Old 2nd Sep 2014 at 4:22 PM
Wow, apparently there's a pretty cool twins bug

So they HAVE included at least one familiar feature from TS3!
Top Secret Researcher
#22894 Old 2nd Sep 2014 at 4:24 PM
@ happycowlover I totally get where you are coming from. Yes, this money that can be spent better, but what appeals to me about this game is the ability to make the world I wish I lived in. It doesn't take away from the realities that I deal with, but it is a nice escape. For me, that is why I am so emotionally invested in this series.

I have a soft spot for radical, passionate youths I'm too old to have that kind of energy anymore, so riot on young people!

I understand that. It's why I've been playing The Sims for fourteen years. Since I was eight years old.

I will only play a game if it is presented as quality. Not because of novelty, tradition, or obligation (who the fuck is obligated to play a video game?).

Mad Poster
#22895 Old 2nd Sep 2014 at 4:27 PM
Quote: Originally posted by happycowlover
(who the fuck is obligated to play a video game?).

You haven't met the average rabid gamer, have you?

Quote: Originally posted by Arisuka
So they HAVE included at least one familiar feature from TS3!

...that baby...has a nice rack.....
Theorist
#22896 Old 2nd Sep 2014 at 4:29 PM
A graphic setting/quality comparison shot featuring Betty's daughter Aubree .. Originally posted on SimsCommunity
Test Subject
#22897 Old 2nd Sep 2014 at 4:29 PM
I'm on the fence about getting this game. I was originally going to purchase it later on today but I'm feeling as though purchasing it now in it's current state would be simply out of nostalgia since I've been playing since The Sims 1. I honestly don't want to jump to any conclusions about the game since I've yet to actually play it but I am disappointed about all of the missing features and the fact that we're once again back to a closed-in world. I thought that it wouldn't bother me after hearing about it initially but when they offered TS2 UC for free last month and I tried to get back into The Sims 2 mindset... it was basically pointless for me and I knew that I wouldn't be able to enjoy it on the same level as S1 or S3. Very disappointed thus far and hopefully EA steps in and makes some changes.
Top Secret Researcher
#22898 Old 2nd Sep 2014 at 4:32 PM
I think my best bet is to bow out for a while. People have fallen ill to the hysteria and my opposition will become more obsolete as the days go along. It's not for me to say how someone spends their money or what they support. If you like The Sims 4, I genuinely hope you have fun.

Mad Poster
#22899 Old 2nd Sep 2014 at 4:37 PM
Quote: Originally posted by happycowlover
I think my best bet is to bow out for a while. People have fallen ill to the hysteria and my opposition will become more obsolete as the days go along. It's not for me to say how someone spends their money or what they support. If you like The Sims 4, I genuinely hope you have fun.

Don't feel that way. I'm still with ya, buddy. Like HP said, nobody here is gonna punish you for your opinion.
Field Researcher
#22900 Old 2nd Sep 2014 at 4:38 PM
So I caved and have just used VPN to download it.
Locked thread
Page 916 of 920