Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
#26 Old 18th Jul 2007 at 5:33 AM
Thanks for the advice and instruction tiggerypum... I'll try to play around with it and see what I can come up with...

Thanks mike19 and niol for reading and responding.. I appreciate it... maybe if it is the mesh that's different if I recolor the actual double wide cutains it will look right... hmmm can't hurt me to try...
Advertisement
Forum Resident
#27 Old 2nd Sep 2007 at 1:40 PM
thanx so much,this is more then usefull!
Test Subject
#28 Old 24th Sep 2007 at 1:17 PM
Help
so im new here and i can get through step 14 in the tutorial fine, but at step fifteen i get lost. I have the textures exported in png format, now the tutorial jumps ove what to do when recoloring the object. it just tells you to reimport it. what do i do?
Instructor
Original Poster
#29 Old 26th Sep 2007 at 10:12 PM
this tutorial was written with the assumption that you would already know how to do basic recolours.
so as step 14 says
===================
Give this file a name you will find easy like I did: make sure it saves with a png format preferably

in the folder which you chose at the beginning. Don’t forget when you finish with your graphics editor to save in the png format

Guess what you got to repeat again for the other image
===================
Then if you are not sure what to do try
Recolouring Objects with Object Workshop (NEW tutorial) By numenor
--------
PLEASE note this is not a difinative guide as SimPE and other ep's progress other slightly more complicated methods can be applied but this tutorial i wrote is a good start.

Please dont upload my creations to paysites.
But please feel free to use
ANY other way you like

Scholar
#30 Old 26th Oct 2007 at 4:42 AM
What about making an object transparent that has it's UV map part of a bigger item - meaning that both of the objects are on the same UV map, but you only want to make ONE of the objects transparent. Is that possible? Or would I need to make the object separate from the bigger item and give each of them their own UV maps?

For example, I made an entertainment center, and I want the shelves on the top part to be like glass (transparent), but the entire entertainment center is mapped all together. Would I need to separate the shelves from the entertainment center and make its own UV map or what?
Instructor
Original Poster
#31 Old 7th Nov 2007 at 8:31 AM
with this method you would need two seperate textures.
(Unless the non transparent colour was very dark. Although still it may appear transparent when you zoom in close to the object).

you would have the same situation as in my post number two where the curtains are a seperate texture from the tub.

ANY other way you like

Test Subject
#32 Old 6th Dec 2007 at 2:39 PM
When trying to download the pdf file, I got the following errors, and I don't have Word so I can't use the tutorial in that format...I used to know how to make parts of an object transparent using the old tutorial, but I need a refresher course...any way to help me so I can see the document? Or a link to the old tutorial? Thanks!

! C:\Documents and Settings\Sims 2\Desktop\MTS2_467585_mike19_adding_glass_transparent_effects-pdf.rar: Unexpected end of archive
! C:\Documents and Settings\Sims 2\Desktop\MTS2_467585_mike19_adding_glass_transparent_effects-pdf.rar: CRC failed in adding glass transparent effects-pdf.pdf. The file is corrupt
! C:\Documents and Settings\Sims 2\Desktop\MTS2_467585_mike19_adding_glass_transparent_effects-pdf.rar: Unexpected end of archive
Instructor
Original Poster
#33 Old 6th Dec 2007 at 3:16 PM
i have added a zip version
if that doesnt work for you it's probably whatever you are using to unzip the documents which is a web page (html document) that can be opened via internet explorer.

but if that fails i just reinstated the old web version for you:

http://transparent-sims2.tripod.com/index
it's still relevant but a little outdated compared to what you get via this thread.
Attached files:
File Type: zip  object transparency tutorial.v1.zip (4.5 KB, 53 downloads) - View custom content

ANY other way you like

Test Subject
#34 Old 6th Dec 2007 at 4:39 PM
Thanks!
Test Subject
#35 Old 17th Jan 2008 at 5:57 PM
Default Mike A problem with the tutorial download help please
I opened the tutorial in word but no pictures show up, it is an htlm doc. Can you fix it to work in word with the pictures showing ?

Thank you
Stonekeeper
Instructor
Original Poster
#36 Old 18th Jan 2008 at 9:57 PM
Quote:
I opened the tutorial in word but no pictures show up, it is an htlm doc. Can you fix it to work in word with the pictures showing ?

Asuming you are talking about the transparency tutorial, please read what it says at the top of the page.

Quote:
The object transparency tutorial.v1 rar file contains a web/html document so you will need to be connected to the internet to view the graphics with a web browser such as internet explorer 7. As they are hosted on photo bucket.(once you have extracted it to your pc right click and open)

ANY other way you like

Test Subject
#37 Old 21st Mar 2008 at 3:44 AM
Default making a lamp chimney to see through
I have made a table lamp with a chimney in the top of it. I want to be able to see it but not in solid color. I want to be able to see it, not for it to disappear what would I do to succeed at this?

Dave
Instructor
Original Poster
#38 Old 24th Mar 2008 at 12:43 PM
Stonekeeper
did you succed with the tutorial?
It may help if you give a bit more info about your object like:
what was it originally cloned from
what EP was it originally from
also
maybe post the object on this thread in a rar or zip folder and i'll see if i can take a look.

ANY other way you like

Test Subject
#39 Old 12th Apr 2008 at 9:01 AM Last edited by fovex : 12th Apr 2008 at 9:07 AM.
Didn't remove the right part
It didn't remove the wright part. I'm recoloring the base of the food processor that came with the base game.
http://chii.modthesims2.com/getfile.php?file=744749
Attached Images
File Type: png  Screenshot.png (58.2 KB, 442 downloads)
Top Secret Researcher
#40 Old 12th Apr 2008 at 12:15 PM
That tells you that the you didn't guess right about which bit of the texture goes where. Figuring out how a texture is mapped to the object is sometimes very frustrating. Try, try again.

Retired from the Sims world. Please continue to enjoy my creations. Thank you to everyone who helped -- by either giving me the tools and knowledge to create or by encouraging me & downloading my creations. The Sims community is the BEST!
Test Subject
#41 Old 12th Apr 2008 at 7:34 PM
Quote: Originally posted by bluetexasbonnie
That tells you that the you didn't guess right about which bit of the texture goes where. Figuring out how a texture is mapped to the object is sometimes very frustrating. Try, try again.
Um, even the entire texture makes only the handle disapear.
Instructor
Original Poster
#42 Old 13th Apr 2008 at 7:36 PM
if you are trying to change the proccessor to invisible or give it a transparent base.
make sure that you have set the stdMatAlphaBlendMode to blend
for the material definition (txmt) the one with _base_txmt on the end of the name.
And for the texture image (TXTR) the DXT3Format is set.

And dont forget to commit and save when ever you change stuff.
Screenshots

ANY other way you like

Test Subject
#43 Old 15th Apr 2008 at 1:27 AM
Quote: Originally posted by mike19
if you are trying to change the proccessor to invisible or give it a transparent base.
make sure that you have set the stdMatAlphaBlendMode to blend
for the material definition (txmt) the one with _base_txmt on the end of the name.
And for the texture image (TXTR) the DXT3Format is set.

And dont forget to commit and save when ever you change stuff.

Everythings like that. I've attached the package so that you could see if I did anything wrong.
Attached files:
File Type: rar  Glasschop.rar (2.2 KB, 16 downloads) - View custom content
Instructor
Original Poster
#44 Old 15th Apr 2008 at 7:15 AM Last edited by mike19 : 23rd Jul 2008 at 10:11 AM.
You have got it half right, you have the TXMT set to BLEND. And the TXTR is set to DXT Format is correct.
But you have no ALPHA in your TXMT's which also means you have no ALPHA in your MMAT's
Maybe you deleted them but as far as i can see that may well be your problem.

Have a look at my version.
Attached files:
File Type: rar  testfoodproccessor2.rar (3.0 KB, 13 downloads) - View custom content

ANY other way you like

Test Subject
#45 Old 27th Nov 2009 at 9:52 AM
Hello can i ask you why my SimPE doesnt have build DXT,,?? when i import the .png image.. and imported the new texture,.. u know.. please help me,.
Test Subject
#47 Old 13th Dec 2009 at 10:03 AM
Hello.. ive installed the nvidia utilies in my pc., but still theres no menu build dxt,? where should i installed this utilities???
Lab Assistant
#48 Old 22nd Mar 2010 at 2:48 PM
I have create a tutorial in spanish, "How to create objects with invisivble and transparency recolor", you can find it here:

http://www.simcontrol.es/web/foro/4...nsparente#38221

Thank you for your help mike!

Bea
Field Researcher
#49 Old 23rd Jul 2010 at 5:50 PM
It seems that the images on photobucket have expired. Is it possible to get this tutorial updated?

~~like a dirty dog
Test Subject
#50 Old 26th Sep 2011 at 10:37 AM
I downloaded the object transparency tutorial but unfortunately it's an HTM file... bad idea.
The pictures are gone and looks quite caotic this way. A pity, it looked like another nice tutorial from mike19.
Anyway, collecting pieces of information around the web works too, so it's no big deal it just takes more time.
Page 2 of 3