Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 19th May 2021 at 10:39 PM
Default Mirrored Hair Texture Issue
So flipped a hair over to the other side of the sim and also the shadow texture but when in game I get these weird texture issues I assume from the shadow texture or alpha. Maybe theres is more to it than just flipping the mesh in Blender and shadow texture.

• The first image is a single rogue swatch the has the wrong hair texture, wrong shadow texture placement but no glitchiness.
  • The second image has a swatch with the right hair texture (buzz shave), the correct shadow file placement but some glitchiness.

What am I missing?
Screenshots
Advertisement
Ms. Byte (Deceased)
#2 Old 20th May 2021 at 12:33 AM
That happens a lot when you edit the shadow. I think the solution is to paint the entire texture except for the shadow itself with white while keeping it transparent. You'll need to edit the RGB separately from the alpha. There's a discussion and mini tutorials in this thread:

https://modthesims.info/t/541255

Please do not PM me with mod, tutorial, or general modding questions or problems; post them in the thread for the mod or tutorial or post them in the appropriate forum.

Visit my blogs for other Sims content:
Online Sims - general mods for Sims 3
Offline Sims - adult mods for Sims 3 and Sims 4
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 20th May 2021 at 10:07 AM
Thankyou, filling the shadow map white fixed that issue above. But I've also noticed another glitch on edge of her buzz shave which could a alpha or mesh issue but I'm not sure. What can I do about this?
Screenshots
Ms. Byte (Deceased)
#4 Old 20th May 2021 at 10:46 AM
That looks like a bit of shadow that was left in the shadow map. If not, please upload your package so I can take a look.

Please do not PM me with mod, tutorial, or general modding questions or problems; post them in the thread for the mod or tutorial or post them in the appropriate forum.

Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 20th May 2021 at 12:11 PM
The issue still shows up in Sims studio, must be a mesh issue maybe. Here's the package file
https://drive.google.com/file/d/128...iew?usp=sharing
Ms. Byte (Deceased)
#6 Old 20th May 2021 at 5:15 PM
Studio shows the shadow in preview. CAS Tools lets you hide or show the shadow and shows that part of the problem is indeed the shadow map.

Looking at this image of the hair uv0 mapping over the hair texture, the shadow texture (the pale gray blob) and a general skin texture, you can see how the shadow falls over the left (my left) side of the face. However, with the mesh mirrored that part of the hair mesh is actually over the right side of the face, and those bits of shadow show up there. IMO the other problem I see in the preview is that the skin at the edges of the mesh don't match the skin on the other side of the face where they actually are located. There could also be a normals mismatch or maybe the mesh isn't quite flat to the face or even just that the texture is being mirrored by the mapping to the mesh, but it's hard to tell.

The first thing I'd do is flip that part of the uv map that's on the face and shaved scalp over to the other side of the face, and go from there.
Screenshots

Test Subject
Original Poster
#7 Old 20th May 2021 at 11:24 PM
Thank You for the help, I fixed the issues.
I did what you suggested and flipped the UVs of the hair and the diffuse map and it seems to be fine.

Thanks.

Screenshots
Test Subject
Original Poster
#8 Old 21st May 2021 at 1:12 AM
Well it works if you don't wear glasses or hats. It seem I'm using a texture spot for something else.
I'll have to do bit of UV editing and shift over the shaved UV section and flip it over to the other side of the head on the skin diffuse map, might even fix up the texture up a bit.

Screenshots
Test Subject
Original Poster
#9 Old 21st May 2021 at 3:43 AM
Managed to fix the hair issue by not mirroring the main hair texture over but only flipping buzz shave UV and texture. Also edited geo that wasn't heed for the hair style which looks better and fixed the shaved hair texture from a better one in the game.
I fixed most of the issues were important to me. Some hats cause the hair to morph weird but the sim dosen't wear hats so it fine.

Thanks for the help.

Screenshots