Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Alchemist
Original Poster
#1 Old 23rd Dec 2009 at 6:08 AM Last edited by aelflaed : 11th Jan 2010 at 11:56 AM. Reason: New stage
Default Fridge - interaction broken
hi!

I'm working on a fridge cabinet to be used in institutions. I want it to look like the Decrachill and take colours from there. I want sims to get and store leftovers, and use it for baby bottles. There should be no cooking or storing of groceries or produce. There is a chef to produce the food already, I mainly need something to deal with the leftovers, without giving playables access to the fridge.

I've cloned the OFB Decrachill using Seasons and OFB, and imported the fridge semiglobals to it. I've altered the pie strings. I haven't yet slaved it to the Decrachill, but I do have a tutorial to try for that.

At present, my object looks fine but won't place without moveobjects. Once placed, it freezes the lot until deleted. The error is attached, and claims that the object is referring to a tree parameter when none exists. It seems to want to reserve a tile and can't do so.

As far as I know, I haven't changed the footprint in any way.

I assume I need something extra from the fridge code to fix this, or to remove something. I've done some searching but would love some help!

Thanks for reading.

Update - I'm making another attempt on this, scroll down for the latest issue please.
Attached files:
File Type: rar  DecrachillReadymeals-OFB-SEA.rar (55.9 KB, 7 downloads) - View custom content
File Type: rar  ObjectError_N007_t256651.rar (9.9 KB, 6 downloads) - View custom content
Advertisement
Retired Duck
retired moderator
#2 Old 23rd Dec 2009 at 9:41 AM
Hey aelflaed,

You're much better off making mods like this the other way around - Clone the fridge, then import the Decrachill mesh etc over the top of the fridge mesh.

That said, I suspect this particular issue is to do with either:
- A parameter not getting set correctly when the interaction is called, or more likely
- A missing attribute.

You can try importing the STR# 0x100 from the fridge, which would probably solve any missing attribute errors. See if that fixes anything?
Alchemist
Original Poster
#3 Old 23rd Dec 2009 at 11:03 AM Last edited by aelflaed : 23rd Dec 2009 at 11:42 AM.
I've already tried it from the other direction, but decided there were too many things that didn't seem to match when I swapped the mesh. And I ended up with a completely invisible, non-grab-able object in-game, that threw errors when sims tried to use it autonomously. Even though it wasn't really there.

So I tried it this way instead. I'll see if importing that string helps. Thanks for the suggestion.

....so, where is this String to be found?
I did find a BHAV Reserve Tile-Create, which must be what it's calling I suppose. But that isn't String #100.
There are Attributes in the text lists. Perhaps that's the one. I'll replace the Decrachill version with that.

...Nope. No change. Unless I picked the wrong thing to replace, that's no help.
Alchemist
Original Poster
#4 Old 11th Jan 2010 at 12:01 PM
Default New Attempt
Okay, I've started again with this project. I made a successful clone of the fridge. Next step, altered the pie stings and function. In this version, the right pie menus seem to appear, and leftovers are working - storing and fetching, both autonomously and user-directed.

However, I want the baby and toddler bottles still available, and that seems to be broken. When a sim is told, or chooses to feed a baby, I get an error. Resetting or deleting results in the sim stopping with the baby in their arms, and just standing there. I've messed with the order of the pie menu stuff, and checked that I have the same strings pointing to the same functions as the original, but it didn't help.

I'm posting the latest package and one of the error logs. At present, the object still looks like the cheap fridge, but costs $374.

At least it isn't crashing the game this time! Thanks for taking a look.
Attached files:
File Type: rar  ReadyMeals 4 Changed order.rar (132.5 KB, 5 downloads) - View custom content
File Type: rar  ObjectError_FeedingBaby.rar (13.3 KB, 6 downloads) - View custom content
Retired Duck
retired moderator
#5 Old 13th Jan 2010 at 10:07 AM
Hey aelflaed,

You seem to be missing a whole heap of interactions from your TTAB... Did you delete these, or was it a problem in cloning? You really don't want to delete interactions, just disable them if you don't want them.

In this case, it's trying to push an interaction with the fridge onto another sim, but that interaction (probably one of the hidden ones) has been removed. As such, it's failing.
Alchemist
Original Poster
#6 Old 13th Jan 2010 at 11:09 AM Last edited by aelflaed : 13th Jan 2010 at 11:40 AM.
I deleted anything I thought was unneeded from the pie menu strings and function, and checked that they were all connected again. Nothing else.

Oh, I see - TTABs are what makes the pie menu functions. Okay, I'll start again and just disable them. By disabling, do you suggest to turn off the autonomy, or perhaps untick the sim flags so no one is an allowed user? ... or some other method?

It's okay to delete the strings, though, isn't it? Or can I dsable them too? Do all those UNK values matter?

Hopefully that's the answer. Thankyou!
Alchemist
Original Poster
#7 Old 13th Jan 2010 at 11:59 PM
That helped. The bottle interactions seem to work now, but 'Get leftovers' is available when there aren't any, and makes them juggle bottles. I don't think this is right.

The functions do seem to point to the correct BHAVs, and the test for leftovers doesn't appear to include juggling as an option.
Attached files:
File Type: rar  AEReadymeals6.rar (133.4 KB, 7 downloads) - View custom content
Description: leftovers mean juggling
Retired Duck
retired moderator
#8 Old 15th Jan 2010 at 4:25 AM
Just unticking all the flags is a good way to start. Disabling autonomy wouldn't hurt either. You're better off leaving the TTAS as-is too, it's just a text list which gets referenced by the TTAB, if the TTAB option is disabled the TTAS line will never get used.

I suspect the juggling is a side effect of that change, since the "get leftovers" uses a push interaction. If the interaction isn't the same one it was expecting, you'll get the sim using a different interaction. If you put the TTAB and TTAS back exactly as they were, then just disable the interactions you want (don't delete anything, anywhere) you will probably find that stops happening.
Alchemist
Original Poster
#9 Old 16th Jan 2010 at 9:39 AM
Okay, thanks. I'll give that a go.

And here I thought it would be best to delete stuff I wasn't using, so as to clean up the package. Shows how little my understanding is.
Alchemist
Original Poster
#10 Old 22nd Jan 2010 at 6:06 AM
okay, next snag...

I got the fridge working as desired, with leftovers and feeding bottles. The only glitch is that NPC chefs don't see why they shouldn't prepare meals from this object. The chefs do have another fridge to work with, but it seems they prefer mine.

(Idea - would emptying the fridge stop them? How do I do that, I wonder?)

Now I am trying to swap in the decrachill mesh, and it just isn't working at all. I get an invisible object in-game. It costs money, but is neither interactable nor grabbable once placed.

(Interestingly, I am also trying to replace the maternity PJs, and can't make that mesh swap either - must be me!)

Also, there is another probable issue waiting in the wings. The decrachill has three textures, the fridge has only two. Can I get around that? I suppose I can just add in the extra TXTR, and name it to match the others. Then I suppose it will need to be connected in the scenegraph. I might be able to get my head around that.

Attaching two versions of the fridge - one with the fridge mesh that seems to do what I want, apart from the NPC issue, and the other where I have tried to use the decrachill mesh. Maybe someone can see what I'm doing wrong.

Thanks for reading!
Attached files:
File Type: rar  Readymeals6_NothingDeleted.rar (137.4 KB, 5 downloads) - View custom content
Description: working options, fridge mesh
File Type: rar  Readymeals8.rar (33.3 KB, 5 downloads) - View custom content
Description: Mesh swapped, now invisible
Me? Sarcastic? Never.
staff: administrator
#11 Old 22nd Jan 2010 at 5:06 PM
The naming of the resources in Ready8 is mismatched. Some have the readymeals... and some have decrachillclone.... That is why they are invisible.

The same goes for the shpe resource, the txmt's are looking for decrachillclone resources.

If you want a fixed one let me know. I didn't touch the Ready8 one except to pull the mesh, otherwise I just replaced the mesh in Ready6 and added the correct txtr, txmt, and mmat's.
Alchemist
Original Poster
#12 Old 23rd Jan 2010 at 9:02 PM
Yes, I worked out that that is probably the reason, and did some work trying to reconnect the scenegraph correctly. Haven't managed it yet - it twists my head around rather.

I don't understand why the decrachillclone resources are being called at all, but there you go. I did try to set up a repository texture for the wood of the cabinet, so that may be what did it - but the mesh was invisible before that. (I was hoping doing the repository stage might make something apear again!)

I'll have one more decent try before begging for someone to "just fix it for me!"