Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
dodgy builder
#1351 Old 16th Jan 2020 at 11:33 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Victor_tor
It's nice. I have a great interest now where does such diagonal wall brick pattern come from. I'd like to ask for this my friend who is a bricklayer.

It's English Tudor bricks from for instance Hampton Court Palace outside London. 15 -16 hundred. I don't think they know quite how it was done. The black one's has been glazed.
Advertisement
Theorist
#1352 Old 17th Jan 2020 at 8:23 AM Last edited by Victor_tor : 17th Jan 2020 at 8:41 AM. Reason: Found it
Quote: Originally posted by Volvenom
It's English Tudor bricks from for instance Hampton Court Palace outside London. 15 -16 hundred. I don't think they know quite how it was done. The black one's has been glazed.

I did not found. My friend bricklayer did not knew that also.
Oh dang it. Found. It is hidden somewhere under the bridge or under the vaults and don't be seen from first sight. I think that's because.. eww... the facades are so weathered. Where does UNESCO looking at...
Screenshots

Here you can see more of my creations and conversions for sims 3. ;) I`ll glad to see your comments in.
dodgy builder
#1353 Old 17th Jan 2020 at 10:13 AM
It's made like a cross pattern all over the facade in the picture, you just have to look at it more closely.
Scholar
#1354 Old 17th Jan 2020 at 8:32 PM
In the UK we call it "diapering", it was very popular in the Tudor era, as Volvenom said previously, but also into the Jacobean era, and it even saw a resurgence in the Victorian era too.
Other notable examples include:
Hatfield Old Palace, Hertfordshire. c. 1485

Layer Marney Tower, Essex. c.1520s

The Christchurch Mansion, Suffolk. c. 1548

Aston Hall, Birmingham. c. 1618

Sudbury Hall, Derbyshire. c.1660
dodgy builder
#1355 Old 18th Jan 2020 at 12:15 AM Last edited by Volvenom : 18th Jan 2020 at 12:28 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by Ferguson Avenue
Wow, that's very intriguing, I really like the use of the patterned brickwork, it's very Tudor indeed, but then your use of all the bay windows gives a hint of Elizabethan/Jacobean form to it too. It certainly looks like it could easily grow into a 60 by 60 lot as well.
Are you just teasing us or will we get to see the front as well?

Here comes a picture of the facade, only the garden left to do ... I think

I was wondering about putting it on a 60x60 lot, but I think it's big enough. For ts4 it will have to be a 64x64 too I think

Wow, that's an awful lot of everything! But it totally works, especially with all the different colours. Does it have an equally crazy interior?

What was that about not mixing styles?..
Currently the interior of this place is Craftsman meets Mock Tudor, but I might gut it and give it one more in-keeping with its busy exterior.

That crazy building has oddly muted interior like this

The craftsman you call it looks very much like a norwegian stavechurch and a few other styles we have Mixing styles can be so fun
Screenshots
Theorist
#1356 Old 20th Jan 2020 at 11:20 AM
In the UK we call it "diapering", it was very popular in the Tudor era, as Volvenom said previously, but also into the Jacobean era, and it even saw a resurgence in the Victorian era too.
Other notable examples include:

Aww never ever seen like this. It's gorgeous.

The craftsman you call it looks very much like a norwegian stavechurch and a few other styles we have Mixing styles can be so fun

Feels same here. Also have few time of traditional Norway architecture exploring.

Here you can see more of my creations and conversions for sims 3. ;) I`ll glad to see your comments in.
Forum Resident
#1357 Old 24th Jan 2020 at 5:59 PM
Wow, that's an awful lot of everything! But it totally works, especially with all the different colours. Does it have an equally crazy interior?

What was that about not mixing styles?..
Currently the interior of this place is Craftsman meets Mock Tudor, but I might gut it and give it one more in-keeping with its busy exterior.

I absolutely love it! Very tastefully done! Be proud of what youve done !

C.T.HOLKO88
Forum Resident
#1358 Old 24th Jan 2020 at 6:18 PM
Hello guys

Heres a little something I just started this past week! Love how its turning out so far! Pretty much near symmetrical colonial revival! Grand portico reaches 3 stories with with the wrap around porch!
Screenshots

C.T.HOLKO88
Forum Resident
#1359 Old 25th Jan 2020 at 5:26 PM
Heres are the floor plans I love the layout of this one!
Screenshots

C.T.HOLKO88
Theorist
#1360 Old 26th Jan 2020 at 8:06 PM Last edited by Victor_tor : 27th Jan 2020 at 7:08 AM. Reason: Question
Seems like I tried to make the simpliest theme for SIms 4. There are Washington rowhouses that seems to be somewhere in Columbia near White house. Tried to make them just because EA usually giving a perfect mismatch in colours when you try even items from one set.
Well actually. I was wrong with my idea. And I am making this one 2nd month already. Seems to be that EA team members are all smoking canabis and don't care about architecture at all. Look here
I found that even windows from one set are having different heights!! WTF. I don't wanna tell anything else about 2-tile windows abcense. That's common feature of all Sims games.
Finally I got a facade mess of 1-tiled 2-tiled and 3-tiled windows of all kinds and shapes. Even such house that is having colourful palette similar to Sims4 is looking cartoonish, ugly and I don't wanna share it. I am very upset. So sorry for my bad English language here. The real life prototype is on last two pics.

What do you think? Maybe I need to change roof type from those to this? I don't like regular rowhouses look. But they are way simplier because they has just one type of windows. But I like the idea of two types alternate each other. But find any windows matching in height, colours and has different tile count from 1 to 3 is a task close to failure.

Theorist
#1361 Old 27th Jan 2020 at 6:44 PM
Is that looking good enough?
Screenshots

Top Secret Researcher
#1362 Old 3rd Feb 2020 at 2:26 AM
Since no one responded Victor, I will give you my input, though most of the guys, and Volvenom, are better at this. These are row houses (also called brownstones in New York City and terraced houses in the UK). The ones with cone/ octagonal roofs, the roofs seem too small for the building. Perhaps to fit the cornices you had to make the roof a bit smaller than if you didn't have cornices. Is it possible to make the roof bigger while perhaps placing the cornices with MOO? Otherwise, you have truly captured the row house feeling- good work!

Need help building? Mentoring4Builders: Click Here
Get in the swim- Mermaidia
New at Simszoo
Scholar
#1363 Old 3rd Feb 2020 at 7:28 PM
Here comes a picture of the facade, only the garden left to do ... I think
That crazy building has oddly muted interior like this

Wow, that's certainly something, I like the effort you've put into its brickwork and windows, it's then got a strong arabesque vibe to its interior and those arches on the ground floor which makes a nice contrast, I look forward to seeing how you progress with it.

Well if I'm honest the Old Faithful Inn was possibly the biggest influence for its creation, but then the tower is definitely a Stave church influence. I'm still rethinking the interior so who knows which way I'll lean with that one.

Scholar
#1364 Old 3rd Feb 2020 at 7:33 PM
Quote: Originally posted by TudorMan23
I absolutely love it! Very tastefully done! Be proud of what youve done !

Thanks! I see your latest creation is coming along very nicely too!
dodgy builder
#1365 Old 3rd Feb 2020 at 11:16 PM
The Round Oak Castle finished and ready for download here. It has a lot of CC. Without it you might just as well consider it a shell.

now I'm taking inspiration from mts monstrosity competition. I'm making my own walls and has trouble seeing the difference between with and without bump/spec maps:

On the white concrete wall below. Tell me if you can see the difference on the one left side wall and the 3 other tiles. I mean can you see better shine and depth? There is a slightly different color to them. The left is more brown, while the 3 other tiles has a slight blue color. It's easier to make 15 wall packs if I don't need bump and spec. I'm leaning on doing that. I think it's easier to just make a pack for the downloader instead of making them download a bunch of files with only recolors on the same wall. It's a sims4studio technical thing.

dodgy builder
#1366 Old 3rd Feb 2020 at 11:31 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Victor_tor
Is that looking good enough?

Have you got 4 recently? Perhaps I'm revealing a complete lack of ability to remember what I have been commenting on before, but that's me. I have a teflon brain. Nothing sticks

Anyways, on the problem with windows that doesn't fit. What I often do is make walls I have windows for, meaning I have a door 3 tile I want to use, so I make a wall 6 tiles to fit. In your case with such a stuck wallplan I would probably make the houses bigger so you get the right size walls to fit your windows. It's your creation. If you like it you can make a wall 3 tile to fit a window 1 tile in the middle and have those ... what are they called again? It's past bedtime here now, and I have to take a walk before going to bed. I mean those walls sticking out you know lol. Just make them the size you need to make it look good. The overall look is the most important.

Try to stick with windows of the same kind of decade or make sure you can explain why the people living there would have oddly looking windows. Remember this is TS4, decorate to your hearts content. That's what TS4 is good at. Do you have any exp?
dodgy builder
#1367 Old 3rd Feb 2020 at 11:40 PM
Wow, that's certainly something, I like the effort you've put into its brickwork and windows, it's then got a strong arabesque vibe to its interior and those arches on the ground floor which makes a nice contrast, I look forward to seeing how you progress with it.

The Castle is finished above. The strange eclectic thing has been abandoned

Well if I'm honest the Old Faithful Inn was possibly the biggest influence for its creation, but then the tower is definitely a Stave church influence. I'm still rethinking the interior so who knows which way I'll lean with that one.

Hm, do you want it to be a church? It looks a bit like it *hug* Should be interesting to see what you do with it
Theorist
#1368 Old 6th Feb 2020 at 3:17 PM Last edited by Victor_tor : 7th Feb 2020 at 5:10 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by attuned
Since no one responded Victor, I will give you my input, though most of the guys, and Volvenom, are better at this.

Aww. Thank you.
These are row houses (also called brownstones in New York City and terraced houses in the UK). The ones with cone/ octagonal roofs, the roofs seem too small for the building. Perhaps to fit the cornices you had to make the roof a bit smaller than if you didn't have cornices. Is it possible to make the roof bigger while perhaps placing the cornices with MOO?

I understood you well. I made the same in Sims 3 to make octagonal roof look like this example http://www.modthesims.info/d/634538...ings-no-cc.html. Maybe i'll try to do that. Usually I make another actions. Roofs here are fit walls. After place the roof I can pull roof edges to choose the shades length. And then a
roof trim tool to choose its colour and shape. I would rise a ceiling then not to make house look like hobbit's hut.
Also for cornices. In Sims 4 cornices are also separated tool. It creates cornices automatically. And sometimes unsuccesful. They are more looks like wall object. Moo could not not control them here.
Otherwise, you have truly captured the row house feeling- good work!

I decided to share it at exchange. And I was cleaned it from furnishing. Maybe I'll back to them later. Now I just left it there and marked that like ugly.

Theorist
#1369 Old 6th Feb 2020 at 3:22 PM
Have you got 4 recently? Perhaps I'm revealing a complete lack of ability to remember what I have been commenting on before, but that's me. I have a teflon brain. Nothing sticks

Anyways, on the problem with windows that doesn't fit. What I often do is make walls I have windows for, meaning I have a door 3 tile I want to use, so I make a wall 6 tiles to fit. In your case with such a stuck wallplan I would probably make the houses bigger so you get the right size walls to fit your windows. It's your creation. If you like it you can make a wall 3 tile to fit a window 1 tile in the middle and have those ... what are they called again? It's past bedtime here now, and I have to take a walk before going to bed. I mean those walls sticking out you know lol. Just make them the size you need to make it look good. The overall look is the most important.

Try to stick with windows of the same kind of decade or make sure you can explain why the people living there would have oddly looking windows. Remember this is TS4, decorate to your hearts content. That's what TS4 is good at. Do you have any exp?

Nooo. I am creating for a year. But still feel myself dumb in this world of doll houses. I was tried to use windows of one type per house. There is hard until some windows are having full black colours, but others don't. Same with pink window frames. And when you combine different recolours of one decade, building still looks like a poo. Let's leave it look like a poo.
Oh. And you had made a nice castle. Fully furnished. It's fine.

Fergus, Old Faithful Inn is great! But agreed with Volvenom. It becomes more Norwegian.

Alchemist
#1370 Old 7th Mar 2020 at 3:38 PM
Started this home when we had the Mid-Century theme. As you can see, it's not done. Nor did I stay true to Mid-Century after a while.
Screenshots

I come in peace
#1371 Old 9th Mar 2020 at 10:10 PM
I think it looks rather Cape Cod suburban house then Mid-Century. But that's just my opinion
How is your Queen Anne-ish house doing?

Alchemist
#1372 Old 12th Mar 2020 at 9:59 PM
I'd say it's a rather generic, 1950-1960ish ranch style suburban bungalow.
Do you have an example of your thought of Cape Cod homes?
Nothing new on the Queen Anne, only added a little wallpaper so far.

I come in peace
#1373 Old 13th Mar 2020 at 10:47 PM Last edited by attuned : 13th Mar 2020 at 11:01 PM.
A Cape Cod house is a low, broad building with a moderately steep pitched gabled roof, a large central chimney, and very little ornamentation. Originating in New England in the 17th century,
the simple symmetrical design was constructed of local materials to withstand the stormy, stark weather of Cape Cod. (from Wikipedia)

modern:

antique
Screenshots

Need help building? Mentoring4Builders: Click Here
Get in the swim- Mermaidia
New at Simszoo
Theorist
#1374 Old 13th Mar 2020 at 11:27 PM
Tx, attuned. Just discovered that it features simmetry and large central chimney. When I said it looks rather Cape Cod, I meant that it could look better like Cape Cod. But now I see that missed its features.
Mid-Century is modern style. It needs a huge glass windows, almost walls. It's house for rich men and stylish. You can do it Mid Century as well, but will need some changes.

Theorist
#1375 Old 16th Mar 2020 at 9:26 AM Last edited by Victor_tor : 16th Mar 2020 at 10:03 AM.
Was made this wooden palace

Page 55 of 98