Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#1 Old 2nd Oct 2019 at 11:28 PM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 3, World Adventures, Ambitions, Late Night, Generations, Pets, Showtime, Supernatural, Seasons, University Life, Island Paradise, Into the Future
Default Installing Sims 3 on Laptop with Windows 10 - D Drive. Need help.
I am finally trying to put Sims 3 on the laptop I got. This thing has a miniscule C drive and so I have to install this on the D drive. Will not go into whole story unless more is needed, but have installed the base game changing the C to a D as a custom install at installation. I did the same thing to install Generations as small and then another EP. Both EPs show with the base game in the program files in the D drive but the game does not recognize the EPs for some reason. It wants the base game disk to play and in the game nothing from the EPs is there.

Any ideas as to why the base is working and not the EPs? I have done research and not found any information about this. Having to use the D drive is beyond irritating to me but will move on from that.

I did grab my Riverview file and it installed with no problem. My laptop is more than capable of running 3 as posted here about it before I got it.
I may have more questions later, but for now am stuck with the EP installation problem.

For 4 I have the docs in C as that seemed to be the only way to work with Origin. For now my 3 docs are in D even though I did read that the game files can be in D and the docs in C?

This really is a mess. This is my fourth 3 install and never had problems like this before. I have hard copies of all and am using the disks to install. I bought all new when they were released. The launcher says my game is up to date.
Advertisement
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#3 Old 3rd Oct 2019 at 1:07 AM
I am using the disks and have changed the C to D in the custom install choice. All show up in the program files but the game will recognize only the base game for some reason. Let me try another one and see what happens.

Have Generations and World Adventures in now.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#5 Old 3rd Oct 2019 at 2:00 AM
I tried Supernatural and at first it wanted a patch. So I did that. It then said it installed and is in the program files. But there is an error now and even the base will not open now with the error. I will take some screenshots later and post. And maybe try a poopyhead install!
Appreciate your helping.

Will fiddle more tonight or tomorrow and then post back. Dinner gets top priority for now.

edit: here is where I am now, where it says they are installed and now I have this error and cannot even find a log for it. I was able to get into the base game before and now cannot even do that.

Mad Poster
#7 Old 3rd Oct 2019 at 4:01 AM Last edited by igazor : 3rd Oct 2019 at 11:25 PM.
Is it possible that the base game or at least one of its EPs was ever accidentally or otherwise installed on C on this computer and then uninstalled? If so, a Registry cleanup would be required so that the game stops looking for the program files in what would now be the wrong place.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#8 Old 3rd Oct 2019 at 7:28 AM Last edited by daisylee : 4th Oct 2019 at 10:19 AM.
Yes I did try to install first on C and then got the notices that there was not enough space. I used my Iobit Uninstaller to remove them and also have run my advanced system care to clean. Let me run crap cleaner again and see if it finds anything. I have not looked at a registry in years so may have to go that route next. But I will really have to be sure I know what I am doing to not mess things up even more.

Off to run crap cleaner now. Are there suggestions for other programs I should use to make sure all the C entries are gone?
----------------

edit: YAY things are working now. I ran ASC, Crap Cleaner 2 times, and installed and ran Registry Repair, and still had the error. Did more google research and went into the registry and there were still EPs from the attempt to install in C. Deleted them and now the game runs and the EP items are there. Now to install more. Finger crossed things are solved.

THANK YOU to all for the help!!!!

- - -
I tried to install CAW and got an error that it was not compatible with my game and I needed the current version! Figured the game would be most current with it if I installed ITF, so did that, and then CAW installed. So still on YAY status so far.

- - - All EPs and SPs are installed. Back in 3 again and so happy. I have really missed it. Open world!!! CASt!!!!!! So happy. My witch is ready to explore Halloween Hideaway!