Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 8th Apr 2020 at 10:59 PM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 3, World Adventures, Ambitions, Late Night, Generations, Pets, Showtime, Supernatural, Seasons, University Life, Island Paradise, Into the Future
Default Low useage of CPU and GPU in The Sims 3
Alright, so I just built a new PC a few days back and installed The Sims 3. Everything seems to be running fine but I've noticed that the FPS was dropping as low as the "'20s, at times, though it averages around 50fps. which causes quite a bit of lag in some worlds. I then decided to launch MSI afterburner and I saw that the CPU and GPU usage were quite low. On the CPU, it was hovering around 10% usage while on the GPU, it's clock slowed down to as low as 800mhz and wasn't utilizing the power of it. To put it into context, this GPU has a base clock of 1800mhz. I also noticed that the RAM usage was quite low in EA worlds, though the opposite could be said for bigger worlds, where it doesn't lag that much, which is causing error code 12's at times, that is a different issue altogether.

Here are my specs:
- MSI B450 Tomahawk Max Motherboard
- AND Ryzen 7 3700X
- EVGA RTX 2070 SUPER XC GAMING
- 32GB Crucial Ballistix Gaming 3600mhz
- The game is installed on a Crucial P1 NVMe drive.

You can see that this, in theory, is overkill for The Sims 3 but at max settings, it's kind of struggling. I've already done many things.
- Added my card to the graphicscards.sgr and graphicsrules.sgr
- Changed the CPU to 4, 3, 3, 3 in the Graphicsrules.sgr
- Changed the amount that can be used, though it won't make a difference because it's a 32-bit application
- Tried to create a ramdisk as a workaround so The Sims 3 can at least use a bit more RAM.
- Edit the amount of VRAM that can be used to 8GB
- Limited the FPS to 60

It did make a bit of a difference but still, the fps seem to be dropping. Though to be fair, I'm not having too much lag from routing, just this seems to be the frame rate slowing down my game. This seems to be a common issue between modern systems built within the last 2-3 years, which could be the reason why it runs crap on those systems. Does anyone know a technique for The Sims 3 to utilize more CPU or GPU power? It would be greatly appreciated and will help many simmers out.

Sims is a game I have cherished ever since I was young. Enjoy it, it's just a game!
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#3 Old 9th Apr 2020 at 12:06 PM
In my scenario, I'm using an NVMe SSD drive. You probably don't know what it is but it's a type of SSD that slots into the motherboard and is slightly faster than a normal SSD. I do have a hard drive in my PC as well but I prefer to run it off the SSD for faster loading times.

It makes a difference to the performance for sure but it seems to be holding back the other components as well, from the looks of things.

Sims is a game I have cherished ever since I was young. Enjoy it, it's just a game!
Forum Resident
#4 Old 9th Apr 2020 at 6:31 PM
You said you installed this on your NVMe SSD but what is the size of it and how much space do you have left?

Previous Game: Batman Arkham City GOTY Edition (Hard Mode: Y!? All side missions and Riddler trophies/riddles/physical challenges completed in the main campaign.)

Next Game: Batman Arkham Knight
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#5 Old 9th Apr 2020 at 7:56 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Deshong
You said you installed this on your NVMe SSD but what is the size of it and how much space do you have left?

It's a 1TB model, with just under 640GB remaining on the storage.