Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Retired Duck
retired moderator
Original Poster
#51 Old 15th Apr 2006 at 9:23 AM
I don't see why that would cause a problem - but this tutorial isn't really going to help you out much with it. Is there a descriptor in the OBJf file for objects that are sittable? If there is, you could just try changing the line in the OBJf for the middle tile? But having never tried (nor, really, had a reason to,) I can't say with any sort of authority.
Advertisement
Part-time Hermit
#52 Old 17th Apr 2006 at 10:42 AM Last edited by IgnorantBliss : 17th Apr 2006 at 12:32 PM. Reason: removed attachment
It seems to me that the "don't walk through my object" part has stopped working at some point, possibly since OFB came out, but I'm not completely sure when. When I first created some 3-tile coffee tables a few months ago, they worked correctly. Recently I noticed that the maid seemed to be ignoring the new tile while walking around, and now that I made a 2x3-tile dining table, the sims just walk through it like there is no table at all. It seems to me they are even ignoring the original tiles of the table. With the help of another tutorial I've been able to make the new slots useable for placing objects on (although I have not made the slots useable for food), and the objects can be placed on them fine, but the sims still keep walking through them (but it's not the slot editing part that causes the walking through problem, because it happens even before I do any slot editing).

I'm attaching two versions of the table here, one after doing only steps included in your tutorial (Ver1), and another after making the new slots useable to other objects than food (Ver2) if that helps you figure out what's going on. Both the tables seem to have the same problem of being walked through in my game.
Retired Duck
retired moderator
Original Poster
#53 Old 17th Apr 2006 at 11:54 AM Last edited by IgnorantBliss : 17th Apr 2006 at 12:33 PM. Reason: removed attachment
This one's got the same footprint mask problem mentioned on the first page. I think you might be right about OFB, it seems to be more common now than in previous EPs, because I hadn't seen it myself until recently. The fix is fairly simple, just make sure that the footprint mask is set to 0x0 in all the OBJD files.

Fixed version is attached anyway. And the table looks very nice. Great for the bigger families! :D

(once you've got it, feel free to delete the file from the post)
Part-time Hermit
#54 Old 17th Apr 2006 at 12:26 PM
Thank you so much! I'm very relieved to hear the problem was as simple as that to fix . Now I can spend the rest of the day making the slots useable for food .
One horse disagreer of the Apocalypse
#55 Old 17th Apr 2006 at 12:35 PM
Is the table going to be on your site? I could do with some large ones.
Part-time Hermit
#56 Old 17th Apr 2006 at 12:38 PM
It will be available for downloading when it's finished, yes . Not sure yet if my own site or MTS2. Will let you know when it's up (if I manage to make the food slots work, otherwise it'll be fairly useless as a dining table )
Part-time Hermit
#57 Old 20th Apr 2006 at 10:29 PM Last edited by IgnorantBliss : 21st Apr 2006 at 2:13 PM. Reason: removed attachment
OK, here I am asking for help again. I'm not completely sure if this thread is the right place, but my problem is similar to the one Grapholina had with her bookcase, so I'm hoping this might be the right place.

This is the same table that had the problem with sims walking through it previously. That problem was fixed, and then I successfully made all the new slots in the new tiles fully functional. My problem now is that sims started having problems accessing some of the old slots. This only seems to happen when they are trying to access the food slots, specifically the two spots without a plate in the picture (that Inge took when she was testing my table). Those are from the original table that I cloned, I did not change anything about the original tiles/slots. The rest of the old slots and all the new ones work just fine. I have compared the routing slot settings to other tables etc, and I can't for the life of me find anything wrong with them. The settings are pretty much identical to other tables that have food slots in similar orientation (like the 2x2-tile dining table from Nightlife) So, I'm starting to suspect it has something to do with the new footprint of the table instead, maybe? That there is some other settings I have to change to stop the sims from complaining the table being in the way.

I would be extremely grateful for having this fixed, or being told how to fix it myself. I've tried everything I could think of but with no luck.
Screenshots
Retired Duck
retired moderator
Original Poster
#58 Old 21st Apr 2006 at 11:49 AM
Hmm... Well, I know about this much -> (0.01E-10) about slots, so take everything I'm about to say with a grain of salt. It may be footprint related, but the fact that the rest of the slots works doesn't really fit with the normal "broken footprint" problem.

Just to confirm, the slots on the thin sides of the table are parallel? That is, they are both the same distance from the edge of the table? The footprint problem comes into effect when the object's original footprint was significantly smaller than its modified footprint. The difference has to be significant enough that sims can no longer reach their original routing slot without actually crossing over the new footprint. If the plate slots are the same distance from the edge of the table, and the routing slots are also the same distance from the table, yet one works and the other doesn't, then it's probably not the same problem.

Have you tried checking it by Fisheeyes in his tutorial thread? He might be able to spot something odd about those slots that we can't?
Part-time Hermit
#59 Old 21st Apr 2006 at 2:18 PM
Wow, I don't believe it. It's fixed now, and your suggestion lead me to the right track! The slot translations and rotations for the eat slots weren't completely identical, there were some minimal differences that apparently made a huge difference. The other slots weren't affected because there were only either old or new slots side by side, so they matched. Thank you so much for the suggestion, and don't tell me you know nothing about slots! You're my hero :salute:.
One horse disagreer of the Apocalypse
#60 Old 21st Apr 2006 at 2:59 PM
Well done Helena, I look forward to downloading this in the near future!
Scholar
#61 Old 10th May 2006 at 10:07 PM
I have all of my OBJDs done, but my OBJfs are lacking. I originally started with 4 OBJDs. One with no instance number, and then (0,0) (2,0) (1,0) thus creating four original OBJfs. The problem is, that they don't have instance numbers. Do they go in order the same way the OBJDs do? All the OBJfs say is "Object Functions:" and then a blank. Would it be in the Plugin View?
Part-time Hermit
#62 Old 11th May 2006 at 4:38 AM
The instance number can be seen in the Resource tab.
Scholar
#63 Old 12th May 2006 at 1:02 AM
Okay, I've added all of the OBJfs, added all of the OBJD's and the instance numbers are done, I think. The higest numbered one was 0x000041D9 so on my next ones I just went up from 9. i.e. 10, 11, 12... Was that wrong? I tested it in game and it was still only took up 3 tiles.

So I figured out that the multi-tile sub index was not set to -1 so I changed it. When I tested it in the game, it wasn't placeable anywhere! I changed the OBJD: "Object Data: Sofa - Modern (0,0)" because that was the closest to the master GUID, the one with out the coordinates. Was I supposed to do it to the one with out the coordinates?
Retired Duck
retired moderator
Original Poster
#64 Old 12th May 2006 at 12:10 PM
Are you able to post the object? It's easiest to diagnose when I can see the object in question.

Only the master tile should have a sub-index of -1, that's the one with the Multi-tile master ID set to 1. It won't normally have coordinates.

The file's instance ID is in its own column in the file list. See the heading part where it says "Type", "Group", "Instance (High)" and "Instance"? It's that last column. The numbers you described are coordinates that are in the file name to make it easier to tell them apart.
Scholar
#65 Old 12th May 2006 at 1:40 PM Last edited by zookini : 14th May 2006 at 9:52 PM.
Yeah here's my object. It was cloned from a sofa so I believe it was already multi-tile friendly so I skipped part one of your tutorial.

EDIT: Forgot to say I was trying to get it to take up 3x3 tiles so a total of 9. Sorry it's rather early here in Michigan...
The ModFather
retired moderator
#66 Old 12th May 2006 at 4:31 PM
Quote: Originally posted by zookini
The higest numbered one was 0x000041D9 so on my next ones I just went up from 9. i.e. 10, 11, 12... Was that wrong?

In hexadecimal, after 0x00041D9 comes 0x00041DA, 41DB, ... , 41DF, 41E0, 41E1 etc...

I've finally started my Journal. Information only, no questions.

My latest activity: CEP 9.2.0! - AnyGameStarter 2.1.1 (UPD) - Scriptorium v.2.2f - Photo & Plaques hide with walls - Magazine Rack (UPD) - Animated Windows Hack (UPD) - Custom Instrument Hack (UPD) - Drivable Cars Without Nightlife (UPD) - Courtesy Lights (FIX) - Custom Fence-Arches - Painting-TV - Smarter Lights (UPD)

I *DON'T* accept requests, sorry.
Retired Duck
retired moderator
Original Poster
#67 Old 13th May 2006 at 8:22 AM
zookini: The main thing was what Numenor described above: When you're countin in hex, it actually goies 8, 9, A, B, C, D, E, F, 10. And just like any number system, when it reaches the 10, it increases the next highest placed digit, so it goes 41DE, 41DF, 41E0. Google "hexadecimal" if you're feeling lost.

The second thing was that you didn't actually need to change the multi-tile sub index to -1. The master object needs that value set, because it is the object that is used for cataloguing and keeping the rest of the tiles together. The lead tile needs to be set to 0, because that is its coordinates are supposed to be.

You'll want to move the mesh over slightly, the tiles don't quite line up the way I think you want them to. I also haven't altered the BHAVs. I can if you want me to, but I thought you might like to try to finish the tutorial yourself. Any more questions, feel free to ask!
Attached files:
File Type: zip  ZRKsimstrampolineMAY11tst.zip (173.9 KB, 19 downloads)
Scholar
#68 Old 14th May 2006 at 4:19 PM
Oooh! Thanks a ton Echo! I guess I'll toy around with what's it called, a practical? Then I don't really have to re UV map the entire thing again. I think I can get the BHAVs done myself. Once again thanks for your help
Lab Assistant
#69 Old 7th Jun 2006 at 9:21 PM
I'm trying to follow this tutorial, but I'm not sure how to give my cloned objd's new instance numbers using the current version of SimPE. Can anyone help me out?
Forum Resident
#70 Old 7th Jun 2006 at 9:48 PM
Select all the resources (for example all the OBJD-files in the list). On the right of the SimPE window you will find a popout called "actions". Klick on it. There will be an entry called "make all listed unique" (or something like that) klick on it and your resources will get unique instance-numbers.

happy simming,
Xanathon

Xanathon's Laboratory :: WishList

.: Do not harass me with requests via PM, you will only get ignored :.
.: Don't post my objects or objects derived from them on paysites or the exchange! :.
Lab Assistant
#71 Old 7th Jun 2006 at 10:50 PM
Quote: Originally posted by xanathon
Select all the resources (for example all the OBJD-files in the list). On the right of the SimPE window you will find a popout called "actions". Klick on it. There will be an entry called "make all listed unique" (or something like that) klick on it and your resources will get unique instance-numbers.

I was actually able to fix myself. I just renumbered the cloned objd's manually. But I'm glad I know for future reference. Thanks so much!
Scholar
#72 Old 9th Jun 2006 at 1:00 AM
Okay, Echo, remember how the new tiles didn't really line up with my trampoline? Well, I couldn't move the mesh over, because the animation from the couch won't allow for it. The sims would jump off of it.

Well, I was able to move the entire mesh over by adjusting the Resource Node. That worked to move it over, but the sims couldn't get on it.

My question for you is, is it possible to add tiles in the opposite direction of the ones you helped previously add?

Here's a picture to better explain:
The ModFather
retired moderator
#73 Old 9th Jun 2006 at 1:17 AM
zookini, I finished battling with a similar problem right now

What I have found out is the following:

1) Rather than moving around the mesh editing the CRES, it's better to create the needed additional tiles, and then move the mesh in the 3D program, so to match the created tiles. This helps to avoind unwanted interferences in the routing slots that can prevent the sims to use the object.

2) It is possible (though in most cases useless) to use negative indices for the added tiles, but is not advisable (actually, I think it's not possible at all) to mix positive and vegative indices; the tiles marked in red in your screenshots should have a negative index, while the green ones have positive indices...

Looking at your mesh, I think that a 3x3 grid is enough. I suggest to restore the CRES to its original translation, and then exporting the mesh and moving it properly using your 3D program.
If you need a 3x4 grid, then append another row to the other end, opposed to the red ones shown in your screenshot, and then move the mesh as suggested.

I've finally started my Journal. Information only, no questions.

My latest activity: CEP 9.2.0! - AnyGameStarter 2.1.1 (UPD) - Scriptorium v.2.2f - Photo & Plaques hide with walls - Magazine Rack (UPD) - Animated Windows Hack (UPD) - Custom Instrument Hack (UPD) - Drivable Cars Without Nightlife (UPD) - Courtesy Lights (FIX) - Custom Fence-Arches - Painting-TV - Smarter Lights (UPD)

I *DON'T* accept requests, sorry.
Retired Duck
retired moderator
Original Poster
#74 Old 9th Jun 2006 at 11:04 AM
As Numenor said, moving the mesh really *is* the best way of managing this. Mixing negative and positive indices will normally result in an unplaceable object, and even if it didn't I doubt it would solve your problem.

The reason why your sims couldn't get on when you changed the translation was that their routing slot was now inside the footprint. The purpose of the footprint is to stop sims from being able to walk in a particular area. When you tell your sims to go to the center of the trampoline to hop on and jump, they're responding by saying "but I can't get there, the object's footprint is in the way!"

If simply moving the mesh (absolutely the easiest and most manageable solution) causes the sims to jump in the wrong spot, then you've got a problem. One option is to tweak your object's mesh so it doesn't look like they're jumping in the wrong spot any more. Another option which may or may not work would be to adjust the slot's coordinates so that the sims do their jumping further in. The downside of this would be that sims would suddenly disappear from their "getting on" position and reappear the point where you moved the jumping slot, because the animations wouldn't line up smoothly any more. Most people are pretty forgiving of this sort of "jump" in modded items, but it's up to you. The third option is one that pretty much defeats the purpose of fixing the footprint in the first place, and that is by allowing sims to walk through it.
Lab Assistant
#75 Old 16th Jun 2006 at 9:13 PM
Thank you so much for another great tutorial. So easy to follow. I managed to add one tile and the sims donĀ“t walk through it.

The strange thing is, when I remade the shadow to be placed under my object the shadow appears behind it. I changed the texture file to DDS instead of extraw8bit and there was a black square right under the object where it was supposed to be, but still the shadow appear in the wrong place when going back to extraw8bit.
Page 3 of 11