Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
MTS has all free content, all the time. Find out how YOU can help to keep it running. Tell me how...

Faster Gardening Mod v7b

by scumbumbo Posted 28th Sep 2014 at 8:03 PM - Updated 8th Jul 2018 at 9:43 PM by scumbumbo : Bugfix for Version 7 - Weeding Planters

344 Comments / Replies (Who?) - 170 Feedback Posts, 173 Thanks Posts
Hide Thanks Posts for this thread (Show only feedback)
Page 13 of 14
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#301 Old 17th Mar 2018 at 8:53 PM
I hate how without this MOD gardening is BROKEN! they can't Tend Garden. And Weeding is not continuous, nor is watering. THANKS!
Lab Assistant
THANKS POST
#302 Old 10th May 2018 at 6:36 PM
Is this updated or not??
Deceased
Original Poster
#303 Old 12th May 2018 at 6:02 AM
No update should be required with the latest game patch at this time.

Quote: Originally posted by kpop4eva83
Is this updated or not??
Inventor
THANKS POST
#304 Old 14th May 2018 at 4:44 AM
Thank you very much for the mod and for checking whether it needed an update!!!! I prefer to trust the creators to do the checking other than fellow simmers who did not make the mod.
Extremely appreciated!!!!
Lab Assistant
#305 Old 20th Jun 2018 at 11:09 PM
Wondering if the gardening changes broke this, or if they're mostly cosmetic this time around.
Deceased
Original Poster
#306 Old 21st Jun 2018 at 12:28 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Ayradyss
Wondering if the gardening changes broke this, or if they're mostly cosmetic this time around.

I was thinking the changes would be mostly cosmetic; however, testing has indicated there will be larger changes required. Weeding seems to work just fine (plants haven't required watering yet), but the bugs have developed a tolerance to the bug spray the mod uses. The game's new "Spray Area for Bugs" is a very quick squirt but is more effective although it still only seems to affect a single plant.

Fertiilizing plants seems to instantly kill them which is probably not intended.

Guess this mod has been promoted to take up my evening to see what must be done. I may need to start over from scratch with it.
Deceased
Original Poster
#307 Old 21st Jun 2018 at 9:46 AM Last edited by scumbumbo : 21st Jun 2018 at 10:03 AM.
A lot of changes were required, including the addition of some new interactions. I believe I have everything tested and in working order, but if there are bugs please let me know.

A few notes about EAxis changes and what I did to accomodate those changes:
  • Gardening is fun now - I kept this behavior with the mod.
  • Several of the actions were split into separate interactions based on low/high level gardening. Most of the changes are cosmetic (different pie menu names, for instance) while the actions performed the same effects - For the most part I kept the behavior as EAxis wrote it, with some exceptions.
  • The Tend Garden interaction's required skill level was changed from 7 to both 8 and 9 - I'm not sure why they changed the required skill to 8 AND 9, and didn't bother to check which version of the XML statements actually took effect, or if they cancelled each other out completely. In retaliation to this weirdness I lowered the required skill for Tend Garden to 6, so less clicky-clicky more early-early.
  • A bunch of pie menu changes were made, including added icons and seasonal changes - I kept these as is.
  • Some of the actions were changed to simple time-based actions, taking between 3-4 seconds no matter how much need there is for the action - I reverted these changes back to the old mod values, so for instance if you water a plant that isn't very dry it will take much less time, but if it is bone dry because you've neglected gardening it will take longer.
  • High level gardeners would suck weeds instead of getting down and dirty - Again, I reverted back to the old-school and eliminated the vacu-suck tool. It just looked stupid in my humble opinion.
  • Probably some other changes I forgot - Generally I kept those changes that EAxis introduced.

ETA - Oh, apparantly EAxis introduced a bug that watering plants at gardening skill 1 fails to ever complete. The mod fixes that, plants get properly watered and your sim will move on to another plant that needs watering as required.
Lab Assistant
THANKS POST
#308 Old 21st Jun 2018 at 5:06 PM
Thanks so much for your time and attention! Thank you as well for your explanation of how the new EA gardening works and how the mod works with it. Your reasoning and choices sound good to me. Will be putting the updated mod into my game ASAP. :-)
Field Researcher
#309 Old 23rd Jun 2018 at 5:11 PM
Hey scumbumbo! I want to say that I appreciate you updating this mod! Saves so much time in the garden when you have nearly plant. I'm popping in to say that I've run into a bug last night. If you use the Tend Garden option the sim will start with weeding if there are weeds to, you know, weed, and the progress ring never completes and just restarts over and over and over until you cancel it. But if you have the sim do the individual tasks it's fine - they get down and pull the weeds, but then I've noticed that they break out the vacuum thing for the rest. I just read your comment above and see that you removed this (thank you, I didn't really like it either), but unfortunately they've been breaking it out to weed the next set of plants after they weed the very first plant like they had done originally.
My save is completely CC free, so if you'd like I can send you the save file to see if the bug can be replicated.
Lab Assistant
THANKS POST
#310 Old 23rd Jun 2018 at 10:01 PM
thanks!!!!!
Deceased
Original Poster
#311 Old 24th Jun 2018 at 4:09 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Kayleena
My save is completely CC free, so if you'd like I can send you the save file to see if the bug can be replicated.

Thanks for the detailed explanation of what triggered the bug you saw, I'll try and replicate that to see if it can be fixed (should be possible, must have just missed one of the new files). I should not need the save game hopefully, but if you could hang on to it in case I can't reproduce the issue that'd be great.
Deceased
Original Poster
#312 Old 25th Jun 2018 at 6:36 AM
@Kayleena - I'm unable to reproduce either of the bugs you mention after trying at multiple different skill levels (1, 2 and 6-10). If you want you can email me a copy of that save game, I'll PM you with an email address you can send it to - or if you prefer you can zip the file and attach it to a reply to this.

I'd suggest first checking that no other mods are possibly conflicting with it, perhaps one you forgot you had installed, by checking with the http://modthesims.info/download.php?t=572482
Lab Assistant
#313 Old 25th Jun 2018 at 10:19 PM
is this compatible with LittleMsSam's gardening mods?

The Cat Lady "Meow!"
:popcorn: Eat'n downloadaholic
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#314 Old 2nd Jul 2018 at 10:39 AM
So useful, thanks!
Test Subject
#315 Old 3rd Jul 2018 at 4:46 PM
If you use the Tend Garden option the sim will start with weeding if there are weeds to, you know, weed, and the progress ring never completes and just restarts over and over and over until you cancel it. But if you have the sim do the individual tasks it's fine - they get down and pull the weeds, but then I've noticed that they break out the vacuum thing for the rest.

I'm having this problem as well. I've just been doing the individual tasks to avoid it.
Test Subject
#316 Old 6th Jul 2018 at 4:41 PM
If you use the Tend Garden option the sim will start with weeding if there are weeds to, you know, weed, and the progress ring never completes and just restarts over and over and over until you cancel it.
It happens to me too
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#317 Old 8th Jul 2018 at 4:01 AM
Wonderful mod, thank you so much.
Deceased
Original Poster
#318 Old 8th Jul 2018 at 8:20 AM
Quote: Originally posted by lillieromeo
It happens to me too

Do you have any other gardening mods installed? Perhaps one of them is overriding one or more of the tunings that I am. You could use the TS4 Package Conflict Detector to check for there being any conflicts.
Test Subject
#319 Old 8th Jul 2018 at 12:20 PM
Quote: Originally posted by scumbumbo
Do you have any other gardening mods installed? Perhaps one of them is overriding one or more of the tunings that I am. You could use the TS4 Package Conflict Detector to check for there being any conflicts.

Nope, no other gardening mods, only faster eating, all beds same energy and MCC.
Deceased
Original Poster
#320 Old 8th Jul 2018 at 1:12 PM
Quote: Originally posted by lillieromeo
Nope, no other gardening mods, only faster eating, all beds same energy and MCC.

I'll look into this with some further testing, it wouldn't be the first time I missed something somewhere - sure would be easier if it was happening in my own game! I know what the animation for the vacusuck weeding is, so I'll do a complete crossref of the entire game to see if I can find something else that is referencing it somewhere.
Deceased
Original Poster
#321 Old 8th Jul 2018 at 9:49 PM
@Kayleena - Thanks for getting me that copy of your save game which exhibited the weeding bugs. Drumroll, please.....

It was the PLANTERS (*facepalm*)

I've released version 7b which adds several interactions which affected weeding plants that were in planters. I setup a garden with a mix of regular ground plants and those in planters, dried a bunch out, gave some weeds and others bugs and tend garden is now running without a hitch.

Oh, and when using the regular weeding (not tend) there is no more vacu-suck for the plants in planters as well.

Sorry that took so long to figure out, folks! Do let me know if there are any new or continuing issues you're seeing.
Field Researcher
THANKS POST
#322 Old 9th Jul 2018 at 4:13 AM
Thanks so much! I'm glad I could contribute to finding the bug! <3
Test Subject
#323 Old 10th Jul 2018 at 12:57 AM
I want to get this mod but do I need Seasons for it to work or no?
Deceased
Original Poster
#324 Old 10th Jul 2018 at 5:33 AM
Quote: Originally posted by slstefanic
I want to get this mod but do I need Seasons for it to work or no?

You don't need Seasons itself - no expansions are required, but you would need to have your game patched to the latest version.
Test Subject
#325 Old 10th Jul 2018 at 12:45 PM
Quote: Originally posted by scumbumbo
You don't need Seasons itself - no expansions are required, but you would need to have your game patched to the latest version.

Thank you for responding so quickly. It is patched to the latest version so I will try this out, I hate how long it takes to weed and water so I can't have a large garden for a single sim.
Page 13 of 14