Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 10th Mar 2023 at 12:00 AM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Default Dark Shadow in CAS/CAF
I went to create a sim for the first time since reinstalling the game on my Windows 11 laptop and this is what it looked like. (attached) I went back to the neighborhood and did boolprop simshadows off but that didn't do anything. I changed the graphic options while in CAS and nothing changed it to normal. Anyone seen this before and know how to fix it?
Screenshots
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 13th Mar 2023 at 6:15 PM
I would really like to help here but I really have to admit that it's beyond my ability to diagnose or fix. It's clearly a graphics problem, and I think it may have something to do with the Graphics Rules. If you look at that picture, the floor, the walls, and the trees and the sky outside are right, but everything else is either too bright or too dark. It's more than just a "dark shadow" as the thread title states. The whole Sim is black. I wonder if it may be related to the "Bright CAS" issue that some of us were working on recently, but in a really attenuated form.

@lovebrat may I ask what the graphics are like in Neighborhood View and in Build/Buy/Live modes? I would have thought that a graphics problem as bad as this would affect more than just CAS.

@simmer22 @simsample @jonasn @kestrellyn and anybody else who feels competent to help -- with your better understanding of the inner workings of the game than I have, have you any idea what might be going on here, and how it might be fixed?

I haven't replied to this thread before because I kept hoping that somebody else would!

All Sims are beautiful -- even the ugly ones.
My Simblr ~~ My LJ
Sims' lives matter!
The Veronaville kids are alright.
Mad Poster
#3 Old 13th Mar 2023 at 6:27 PM
This looks more like the other "bright CAS" issue that's usually caused by either the graphic card not having been updated properly (especially if you're using a newer Nvida one, above the 1000 series - I had stripes going all the way down my CAS screen, but after updating the card, the stripes went away), or if you haven't set up the GraphicRules and VideoCards files properly.

You need to make sure your game reads your graphic card or chip. It helps if you list your computer specs, especially the processor, graphic card or chip, RAM, and so forth.

Knowing how the graphics are in the rest of the game can also help (does everything look fine, or do you have low-graphic water or terrain in the neighborhood? Do sims look okay? Do you experience any crashing, pink-flashing or extreme lag? Anything else outof the ordinary?)
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#4 Old 13th Mar 2023 at 7:07 PM
Yes, could be a shader problem with CAS. Make sure you have the 4GB patch and set up your graphics for the game and CAS (CSConfig):
https://www.reddit.com/r/sims2help/...hnical-support/

Also try this fix:
https://modthesims.info/d/657850/ov...ht-cas-fix.html
Mad Poster
#5 Old 13th Mar 2023 at 7:24 PM
^ The Config folder is for the game, CSConfig is for Bodyshop - but if you also have issues with Bodyshop, you'll want to set up that one, too.

(...\TSData\Res\Config and CSConfig, in M&G or your highest EP install folder if you don't have M&G).
Test Subject
Original Poster
#6 Old 8th Apr 2023 at 11:01 PM
Quote: Originally posted by simsample
Yes, could be a shader problem with CAS. Make sure you have the 4GB patch and set up your graphics for the game and CAS (CSConfig):
https://www.reddit.com/r/sims2help/...hnical-support/

Also try this fix:
https://modthesims.info/d/657850/ov...ht-cas-fix.html

That fixed it (the 2nd link), thank you!!!! :D
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#7 Old 9th Apr 2023 at 12:00 AM