Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
MTS has all free content, all the time. Find out how YOU can help to keep it running. Tell me how...

Smarter Lights (Enhanced version of Dizzy2's "SmartLights") *v.2.1 (19 OCT 2008)*

by Numenor Posted 4th Sep 2006 at 1:06 AM - Updated 19th Oct 2008 at 10:18 PM by Numenor : v.2.1: improvements and update to Apartment Life

215 Comments / Replies (Who?) - 203 Feedback Posts, 11 Thanks Posts
Hide Thanks Posts for this thread (Show only feedback)
Page 4 of 9
Mad Poster
#76 Old 19th Oct 2006 at 4:34 AM
This is neat! Have you thought about the "smart serve" update as well? Anyhow, thank you!
Field Researcher
#77 Old 19th Oct 2006 at 4:52 PM
I meant to add that pets only seem to sometimes trigger the lights in a room. I don't know if it's a side effect of the mod or not. I'll test more.
The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#78 Old 19th Oct 2006 at 8:03 PM
As far as I could see, pets don't trigger the autolights at all... The hack checks if there is a "person" in the room, and I don't think (not sure, though) that pets are considered "persons".

I've finally started my Journal. Information only, no questions.

My latest activity: CEP 9.2.0! - AnyGameStarter 2.1.1 (UPD) - Scriptorium v.2.2f - Photo & Plaques hide with walls - Magazine Rack (UPD) - Animated Windows Hack (UPD) - Custom Instrument Hack (UPD) - Drivable Cars Without Nightlife (UPD) - Courtesy Lights (FIX) - Custom Fence-Arches - Painting-TV - Smarter Lights (UPD)

I *DON'T* accept requests, sorry.
Field Researcher
#79 Old 19th Oct 2006 at 10:15 PM
Yeah, I don't think so either. I don't know how all the nuts and bolts work but hacks that also boost the needs of family members/people on the lot don't boost pets needs at all. Just thought I'd report this hack won't break your game if you have it installed with pets *grins*

Interestingly it seems when my bird flies around the room it sometimes triggers the lights but doesn't seem to be consistent.
Field Researcher
#80 Old 20th Oct 2006 at 4:22 AM
I think Pets have their own S2N values (0x28 to 0x2D), and the S2N "person" only finds humanoid person objects.

Pets have Scratch/Chew instead of Environment, so they don't care.
The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#81 Old 20th Oct 2006 at 9:18 AM
Thanks Dizzy, I couldn't find the time so far to look into that; OK, now that we know that pets and humans are different beings for the game, the question is: should pets trigger an automatic light-on?
I don't think so: animals have no problems in walking through a dark room, and anyway I've never seen a pet turning on the lights by itsfelf.

My latest activity: CEP 9.2.0! - AnyGameStarter 2.1.1 (UPD) - Scriptorium v.2.2f - Photo & Plaques hide with walls - Magazine Rack (UPD) - Animated Windows Hack (UPD) - Custom Instrument Hack (UPD) - Drivable Cars Without Nightlife (UPD) - Courtesy Lights (FIX) - Custom Fence-Arches - Painting-TV - Smarter Lights (UPD)

One horse disagreer of the Apocalypse
#82 Old 20th Oct 2006 at 9:27 AM
Is the scratch/chew on the same field as environment?
Field Researcher
#83 Old 20th Oct 2006 at 2:43 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Numenor
Thanks Dizzy, I couldn't find the time so far to look into that; OK, now that we know that pets and humans are different beings for the game, the question is: should pets trigger an automatic light-on?
I don't think so: animals have no problems in walking through a dark room, and anyway I've never seen a pet turning on the lights by itsfelf.

While this is true, your pets will often be up and active while the Sims are asleep. When the lights aren't on, I can't see what they're up to (and they are often very entertaining to watch). I suppose in those households, I'll have to set my lights to always be on if I want to watch the pets at night.
Field Researcher
#84 Old 20th Oct 2006 at 3:54 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Inge Jones
Is the scratch/chew on the same field as environment?

No, they use Motive[1] for that (previously unused).
The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#85 Old 20th Oct 2006 at 4:26 PM
Moxie, I guess you use the Radiance? Yes, with the Radiance it's quite difficult to see what happens in a dark room. Like in the real life
I don't promise anything, but I'll see if I can implement an option to include or exclude pets from the count of the "persons" in the room.

Field Researcher
#86 Old 20th Oct 2006 at 10:00 PM
Well, if you can't it's not a huge big deal. I can just turn the lights on in those rooms individually (or maybe not use the Radiance but I really like it). Pets energy decays at a different rate from the Sims from what I can tell. It would be nice if they'd just sleep at the same time as my Sims (only sometimes do they).
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#87 Old 22nd Oct 2006 at 8:19 PM Last edited by simsample : 5th Nov 2006 at 5:21 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by Numenor

But I noticed the cage bird turns on the light when he flies from room to room... guess I have him trained well!

Edit- Yes, he can fly between rooms but only if there is an arch instead of a door.
The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#88 Old 22nd Oct 2006 at 9:58 PM
The cage bird can fly from room to room? I didn't know! LOL! I should play more...

The Quiet One
retired moderator
#89 Old 29th Oct 2006 at 12:25 AM
I was just checking to see if this was updated for Pets, but you're right... Pets don't turn on lights on their own anyway. So if you decide not to update it, I'm cool with that. I can see what they're doing anyway, while my Sims are sleeping, because I don't use any of the radiance light mods. So my lot isn't pitch black.

DDO
Field Researcher
#90 Old 29th Oct 2006 at 3:36 PM
Numenor, how would we ever sim without you?? Genius. Sheer genius. Thank you.

New Judfer creations at Sims2 Noir.
Live Free or Die.
The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#91 Old 29th Oct 2006 at 11:52 PM Last edited by Numenor : 29th Oct 2006 at 11:59 PM.
I will share your thanks and compliments with Dizzy2 and JM Pescado
At least, for the part of your thanks that are related to this mod!

Lab Assistant
#92 Old 15th Dec 2006 at 12:22 PM
JUst wanted to say . I love ALL your mods!!
Test Subject
#93 Old 16th Dec 2006 at 11:16 PM
Inges "CEILING LAMP HIDER" has odd side effects when ceiling lights become invisible. It makes the sims appear like they're in a lightless room, even though their are ceiling lights above them (if there are no wall lights).
The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#94 Old 17th Dec 2006 at 1:31 AM
And removing the Smarter Lights from the Downloads restores the correct functionalities of Inge's Lamp Hider?

Test Subject
#95 Old 17th Dec 2006 at 7:38 AM
Yes, it appears to put all the lights in diffusion mode for some odd reason.
The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#96 Old 17th Dec 2006 at 10:37 AM
I've run some tests, with the results shown in the attached pictures: it seems that Inge's hack is the only cause of the problem, while having the SmarterLights installed or not seems irrelevant.

Testing ground:
- Base game only (no EPs)
- No files in the Downloads, except for Inge's hack and optionally the SmarterLights
- The test was run with the Radiance installed and then again, with the original Maxis lights (same results).

Explanation: though I never realized it, I understand that the "practical light" (the light that hits sims and object) is part of the mesh (in fact, the practical light is attached to the mesh itself, in the CRES hierarchy); while the "diffusion light" (the light that hits walls and floor) is independent and autonomous.
Screenshots

Test Subject
#97 Old 18th Dec 2006 at 12:15 AM
I see. Don't use inges ceiling light hider if you're using this mod then, because maxis did yet one more "DAR DAR" move while coding the lighting.
Test Subject
#98 Old 25th Dec 2006 at 12:28 PM
this mod is still in test?i try it long ago and its work fine,good job
The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#99 Old 29th Dec 2006 at 2:26 PM
When dealing with global mods, I never convince myself to label it as "tested" -

It works fine, now; but who knows what will happen with the next EP?

Forum Resident
#100 Old 3rd Feb 2007 at 2:12 AM
Can you modify the hack so when at night (6PM to 0AM), all lights indoor are turned on; for the rest of the night (until 7AM) will auto-turn on only when there is an awake sim in the room. I really don't like that sim's house is completely dark inside when my sim is outside the house, especially when you use GunMod's Radiance. The other functions work great. Thanks.
Page 4 of 9