Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 16th Aug 2021 at 3:09 PM
Default Simpe suddenly behaving very oddly
My SimPE has suddenly started being very odd.
If I import a mesh from Milkshape, it switches the orientation.
Also, the preview image is suddenly very bright white instead of showing the texture.
i must have done something, but what? I have reinstalled SimPE but no different. It was working fine until just now.
Below are images of what I mean. First image is object in Milkshape, then same object in SimPE, and then in the game.
Screenshots
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 16th Aug 2021 at 5:17 PM
I had something like this happen once after a SimPE crash, but managed to fix it without reinstalling. Something had gone all borked, but I can't remember which file it was. I think what I did was to use an old copy of the changed files in the Data folder in the SimPE folder, replacing the files in there.

I think it happened to someone else not long after, and reinstalling didn't help for them, so not entirely sure why that is. It's possible there's a post somewhere here on MTS about that issue.

Which SimPE version do you use? I have 075f_qa now, but this happened back when I had 0.73 QA.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#3 Old 16th Aug 2021 at 5:35 PM
Hello again simmer22!
I'm using 0.75.69.23.
I don't have any copy of old files??
Weird how a reinstall (including deleting all references to SimPE in my program files, didn't fix it.
I've trawled the internet to find help, but couldn't, hence my post. I'll have another look on here though. Thanks!
Mad Poster
#4 Old 16th Aug 2021 at 6:00 PM
Here's my old topic: https://modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=622546 (wasn't as old as I thought). There's a couple different fixes suggested there, so you can try either.

For the mesh that turns the wrong way, it could be something in the settings. There's an XZY/XYZ dropdown list next to "Order" in the GMDC, to the left. Mine is set to XZY. Check that yours is set to this, too (I think this is the same setting as Milkshape).
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#5 Old 16th Aug 2021 at 6:10 PM
I looked in my install directory Data folder, I don't have ANY of the files you listed???
Also wrt the white preview, my "enable textures" is set to TRUE anyway.
Huh???!
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#6 Old 16th Aug 2021 at 6:13 PM
These are the files at that location:
Screenshots
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#7 Old 16th Aug 2021 at 6:17 PM Last edited by VirtualAlex : 16th Aug 2021 at 6:56 PM.
Also, I've tried changing the XZY/XYZ but makes no difference, or at least, neither view is the correct one.
Very frustrating as I was having so much fun making food!

Oh hang on, by "Data folder" I thought you meant files within the folder called "Data" but it seems I need to be looking in the SimPE folder!!!

ETA: Nope, still can't see any of those files.

ETA: I uninstalled it and DL the version you are using and STILL have these issues. So strange, and I didn't even DO anything out of the ordinary to cause these issues.

ETA: Well I found the files in my AppData/Local/VirtualStore/Progam Files 86/Simpe/Data folder??! and deleted them, and it made no difference.

ETA: Also, I opened a file I made earlier and looked at the preview, and it's perfect - orientation, texture, everything. I tried re-making the asparagus (above) but it's still wrong. I'll making something else.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#8 Old 16th Aug 2021 at 7:09 PM
Final post for now (it's 4am and I've had quite enough!!): I made a quick cylinder. It imported correctly into SimPE and displayed correctly in the game. Only thing wrong was the texture in SimPE is still white (although as I said above, other previously made objects displayed just fine...?). So I will need to start the asparagus from the ground up I guess.
I would dearly like to fix the white preview though.
Mad Poster
#9 Old 16th Aug 2021 at 7:26 PM
The problem with the white textures could be you have to set to false then true and reopen SimPE for it to change. Some of the UI changes need a full reload to make them stick.

If you had a crash or SimPE shut down with some kind of error (that's what happened to me - my computer bluescreened) the files don't get the chance to save properly. There could be some junk files somewhere that didn't delete when you uninstalled, some kind of cached files SimPE is using information from. If you can't find the files, you need to overwrite whatever info this is.

(Every time I see ETA I think "Estimated time of arrival" and not "edited to add". Been watching too many hospital series, I guess )
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#10 Old 16th Aug 2021 at 7:44 PM
One more final post:
It all works now. I have NO IDEA why. Maybe the asparagus file was bugged??? Anyway, the mesh appears correctly in Milkshape (except the top of the labels isn't there but I don't care), in SimPE and in the game. No orientation issues, and I can even see colour in the SimPE preview. It's very very bright (I think this might be the problem) but it's visible. Bloody hell that was painful. And still frustrating because I don't know what caused it (no crash) and don't know how I fixed it. I reinstalled my original version of SimPE and deleted the files you said after finally finding them.
Anyway my sims have asparagus.
Thank you so much for coming back all those times with help. It must have helped but I don't know which bit did it!
(Yes ETA makes me think of that too - but plane arrivals!)
Screenshots
Former Hamster
retired moderator
#11 Old 16th Aug 2021 at 9:22 PM
Just wanted to say that I had the same problem with the texture-less preview on my desktop, SimPE worked fine one day and the next? Not. Nothing I did ever fixed it and I learned to live with it. No problems as of yet on the laptop. *crosses fingers*
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#12 Old 17th Aug 2021 at 2:42 AM Last edited by VirtualAlex : 17th Aug 2021 at 8:05 AM.
And a last final word, I changed "enable lights" to false in the preview panel (as it's def a lighting problem) and now all previews show up correctly!