Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 19th Sep 2020 at 4:30 PM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Default Unable to change screen resolution
Hi everyone,

I reinstalled my old Sims 2 game with the cd on my laptop that has Windows 10. Right away, I noticed that the game's screen resolution was too small so I looked up on how to fix it and found a recommendation to change the screen resolution by altering the Graphic Rules.sgr file using notepad. After making the changes to match the game's screen resolution with my laptop's, I clicked save, and a pop-up window came up stating, "You can't save to 'D:/Base/TSData/Res/Config'. Please choose another location." I even clicked run as administrator on notepad but to no avail. Does anyone have a solution to this problem?
Advertisement
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#2 Old 19th Sep 2020 at 4:57 PM
Copy the Graphicsrules file to the desktop, make a safe backup of the original file and then edit the copy on your desktop. You should be able to copy and paste that edited copy into the original location; Windows will ask you to give permission though.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 19th Sep 2020 at 6:29 PM
Quote: Originally posted by simsample
Copy the Graphicsrules file to the desktop, make a safe backup of the original file and then edit the copy on your desktop. You should be able to copy and paste that edited copy into the original location; Windows will ask you to give permission though.

I tried that and it separated the files from the disc. Before making the backup, the game folder had the base file under files currently on the disc. Now the base file is under files ready to be written to the disc.
Me? Sarcastic? Never.
staff: administrator
#4 Old 19th Sep 2020 at 7:13 PM
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#5 Old 19th Sep 2020 at 7:59 PM
Is the D drive your CD drive? To edit the graphics rules you need to edit the installation files, not the files on the CD. To what location did you install the game? It's usually C:/Program Files (x86). Look there for the file.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#6 Old 19th Sep 2020 at 11:29 PM
Quote: Originally posted by HugeLunatic
You can't change files on the cd/dvd drive/actual disk.  You want to edit the file in your installation location in program files.

I'm not quite sure what you're referring to regarding installation location or program files. Which file am I suppose to edit?
Forum Resident
#7 Old 19th Sep 2020 at 11:48 PM
Once again...Is your D drive your CD/DVD drive?

When you install the game, it places files on your harddrive - typically the C: drive. When it installs the game, some files are placed in C:/Program Files (x86). Since you are using disks, then they are likely in C:\Program Files (x86)\EA GAMES. The file you will need to edit is the Graphics Rules.sgr in the folder of your latest expansion pack.

All of my Conversions, Creations and Stories may be found here:
HobbesED's Conversions and Creations

My most recently shared items (with pictures) may also be found here:
HobbesED's Dreamwidth

Test Subject
Original Poster
#8 Old 20th Sep 2020 at 12:00 AM
Quote: Originally posted by HobbesED
Once again...Is your D drive your CD/DVD drive?

When you install the game, it places files on your harddrive - typically the C: drive. When it installs the game, some files are placed in C:/Program Files (x86). Since you are using disks, then they are likely in C:\Program Files (x86)\EA GAMES. The file you will need to edit is the Graphics Rules.sgr in the folder of your latest expansion pack.

It is the cd drive and I mentioned before that the Graphics Rules.sgr file is the one that I had already edited. It just won't save the changes.
Forum Resident
#9 Old 20th Sep 2020 at 4:06 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Emerald Drive
It is the cd drive and I mentioned before that the Graphics Rules.sgr file is the one that I had already edited. It just won't save the changes.

The error message you gave stated you were trying to save the Graphics Rules.sgr to your D: drive which is your CD drive. You cannot save files onto your CD drive. You have to change the file on your C: drive at the location I mentioned above.

All of my Conversions, Creations and Stories may be found here:
HobbesED's Conversions and Creations

My most recently shared items (with pictures) may also be found here:
HobbesED's Dreamwidth

Test Subject
Original Poster
#10 Old 20th Sep 2020 at 12:15 PM
Quote: Originally posted by HobbesED
The error message you gave stated you were trying to save the Graphics Rules.sgr to your D: drive which is your CD drive. You cannot save files onto your CD drive. You have to change the file on your C: drive at the location I mentioned above.

I was able to save it at the location. But it didn't change the screen resolution.
Mad Poster
#11 Old 20th Sep 2020 at 2:52 PM
Are you sure you've edited the right file? You need to edit the GraphicsRule of the newest EP your game is running. If you're using the basegame, you edit the basegame file. If Seasons is your latest, you edit Seasons. If you're running M&G you edit the M&G file. Basically the EP with the highest number OR M&G (SP9). If you're unsure, edit them all. The GRM could also be helpful, in case something is off in the editing: https://www.simsnetwork.com/tools/graphics-rules-maker

(In case you get problems again)
Open up the folder the GraphicsRule file you want to change is in (NOT the CD folder, but the location your game is installed - you should probably pop out the CD for a bit, just to make sure you're not accidentally trying to change the wrong files).

Copy the files you want to edit to the desktop, edit them there (manually or with the GRM).

Copy or move the edited GraphicsRule file back to the folder. You'll probably get an "admin" popup from Windows asking you if you really want to change the file. Click "yes" to this. The file should now be changed.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#12 Old 20th Sep 2020 at 8:02 PM
Quote: Originally posted by simmer22
Are you sure you've edited the right file? You need to edit the GraphicsRule of the newest EP your game is running. If you're using the basegame, you edit the basegame file. If Seasons is your latest, you edit Seasons. If you're running M&G you edit the M&G file. Basically the EP with the highest number OR M&G (SP9). If you're unsure, edit them all. The GRM could also be helpful, in case something is off in the editing: https://www.simsnetwork.com/tools/graphics-rules-maker

(In case you get problems again)
Open up the folder the GraphicsRule file you want to change is in (NOT the CD folder, but the location your game is installed - you should probably pop out the CD for a bit, just to make sure you're not accidentally trying to change the wrong files).

Copy the files you want to edit to the desktop, edit them there (manually or with the GRM).

Copy or move the edited GraphicsRule file back to the folder. You'll probably get an "admin" popup from Windows asking you if you really want to change the file. Click "yes" to this. The file should now be changed.

I just tried editing all of them except for the file in the cd folder with the same result. Removing the disc showed that I wasn't editing the wrong files.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#13 Old 20th Sep 2020 at 10:55 PM
Where is your game installed to? It is not instaled to your CD drive.

Can you go to C drive? Once you get C drive open look and see if you have a folder called Program Files. On my PC (windows 7) mine is called Program Files (x86) if you are on 10 it might be named slightly differently, but should still show a program Files folder. Or if you installed the game to a D drive, look on D drive for a folder called Program Files.

Inside the program Files folder will be another folder called 'EA GAMES' That is the folder that you want.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Test Subject
Original Poster
#14 Old 20th Sep 2020 at 11:07 PM
Quote: Originally posted by joandsarah77
Where is your game installed to? It is not instaled to your CD drive.

Can you go to C drive? Once you get C drive open look and see if you have a folder called Program Files. On my PC (windows 7) mine is called Program Files (x86) if you are on 10 it might be named slightly differently, but should still show a program Files folder. Or if you installed the game to a D drive, look on D drive for a folder called Program Files.

Inside the program Files folder will be another folder called 'EA GAMES' That is the folder that you want.

The Program Files (x86) under EA GAMES is the exact folder I edited from.
Lab Assistant
#15 Old 20th Sep 2020 at 11:14 PM
It you edited file correctly for every EP... no idea why it isn't working.
But like simmer22 suggested up there, you could try the Graphic Rules Maker program.
https://www.simsnetwork.com/tools/graphics-rules-maker
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#16 Old 20th Sep 2020 at 11:29 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Emerald Drive
The Program Files (x86) under EA GAMES is the exact folder I edited from.

Okay, once you have the correct place then you need the graphic Rules Maker. https://www.simsnetwork.com/tools/graphics-rules-maker

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~