Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Forum Resident
#276 Old 12th Jul 2018 at 8:40 PM
finished building my cheap apartment~
it looks really expensive but the rent's only 500-700 woot woot
now all i gotta do is play test :3
Advertisement
Constant Contestant
retired moderator
#277 Old 12th Jul 2018 at 9:53 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Kukamuukaanmuka
I am at work and answer rest later, this one I needed to clarify right away. No it was not the pool table, it was the mailbox. You did put trashcan to next tile, left side of it, and it will prevent sims paying their rent. Trascan will block their way to the small rentbox, located left side of the mailbox. I had to playtest that setting myself to be sure. And if I am misstaken and the trashcan is not in the next tile from left of the mailbox, you will naturally get points back.
In my opinion 2 points deducted for the mailbox/trashcan is too much.

Want a specific style of house or community building? Why not take a look at my profile and see what I build and then come ask me to make it!
Top Secret Researcher
#278 Old 13th Jul 2018 at 12:31 AM
I still don't agree that my bathrooms have too much space. There is enough space for a Sim to move about freely but by no stretch of the imagination are they too big. I had to use wide angle to get the room in.
Screenshots
Forum Resident
#279 Old 13th Jul 2018 at 4:18 AM
Quote: Originally posted by yavannatw
I still don't agree that my bathrooms have too much space. There is enough space for a Sim to move about freely but by no stretch of the imagination are they too big. I had to use wide angle to get the room in.

avoid putting anything on the tile next to the faucet side of a bathtub. doing si will block sims from using it.
Top Secret Researcher
#280 Old 13th Jul 2018 at 4:43 AM
Quote: Originally posted by kanzen
avoid putting anything on the tile next to the faucet side of a bathtub. doing si will block sims from using it.

I haven't?
Forum Resident
#281 Old 13th Jul 2018 at 5:34 AM
I posted a question about the price of the Nocturnal Rumours half wall in the stupid questions thread, but since everyone here is trying to build cheaply right now I thought I should mention it here, too. For some reason, in my game one of these walls (the colour is "whisper") is only costing $1/tile, while the other 3 colours cost $80. I noticed the discrepancy today when trying to find a cheap wall or fence, and I don't know if it's a problem with my game or something common to others. I'm doing my building in a minimal cc setup, with only the essential mods, cc stairs, and cc windows and I'm not aware of having anything that changes the prices of walls even in my full cc set-up. If it's a common pricing error made by EA, everyone should know that there is an inexpensive wall option, and if it's something with my setup, I'd like to know so that I can avoid taking advantage of a problem with my setup.
Top Secret Researcher
#282 Old 13th Jul 2018 at 5:52 AM
Quote: Originally posted by stitching
I posted a question about the price of the Nocturnal Rumours half wall in the stupid questions thread, but since everyone here is trying to build cheaply right now I thought I should mention it here, too. For some reason, in my game one of these walls (the colour is "whisper") is only costing $1/tile, while the other 3 colours cost $80. I noticed the discrepancy today when trying to find a cheap wall or fence, and I don't know if it's a problem with my game or something common to others. I'm doing my building in a minimal cc setup, with only the essential mods, cc stairs, and cc windows and I'm not aware of having anything that changes the prices of walls even in my full cc set-up. If it's a common pricing error made by EA, everyone should know that there is an inexpensive wall option, and if it's something with my setup, I'd like to know so that I can avoid taking advantage of a problem with my setup.

Hmm, interesting. It's the same in my game. Thanks for the heads up, although I've now finished my build.
Top Secret Researcher
#283 Old 13th Jul 2018 at 6:21 AM
Quote: Originally posted by stitching

Haha, so you found it, huh? I use that wall in quite a few of my Frugal Lane and Tightwad Street homes, because it is so cheap. I found a few walls like that too if anyone wants to know what they are, although I'm sure you guys do already. So there is nothing wrong with your setup. I build in a game with very few mods and no CC - that wall is a Maxis glitch, enjoy it!
Forum Resident
#284 Old 13th Jul 2018 at 8:34 AM
Quote: Originally posted by yavannatw
I haven't?

*squints*
curse these weak eyes! I thought your toilet was next to it sorry
Space Pony
#285 Old 13th Jul 2018 at 2:27 PM
@Karen Lorraine , I have messaged gummi about raising your playability to 4. Also @Magnolia , I have forgotten how those stairs work (teleport thingy) , and clearly I was wrong, so you will get small raise also.

Sorry it took so long to reply, I was not at my computer and my phone refuses to log me in here. Now only short visit and then won't be back until late tomorrow.

I hope you (generally) understand I am new at judging, and only way to learn it right, is to make it wrong first (or I am just too stubborn to learn fast )

~~~~Call me Ellu ~~~

My love, my love, my fearless love, I will not say goodbye..
Sea may rise, sky may fall, My love will never die..
My heart, my heart, My drowning heart, Oh all the tears I've cried
Oh I may weep forevermore, My love will never die..
Forum Resident
#286 Old 13th Jul 2018 at 5:40 PM
while playtesting I noticed that my sims refuse to use their in-unit microwave and insisted on trecking 2 floors from their apartment to the communal kitchen FOR THE SAME MICROWAVE

thus i removed their kitchenettes and found the playables and townies using the communal spaces like i intended them to uvu
Constant Contestant
retired moderator
#287 Old 13th Jul 2018 at 8:43 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Kukamuukaanmuka
@Karen Lorraine , I have messaged gummi about raising your playability to 4. Also @Magnolia , I have forgotten how those stairs work (teleport thingy) , and clearly I was wrong, so you will get small raise also.
Thank you Ellu, much appreciated Judging is very hard.

Want a specific style of house or community building? Why not take a look at my profile and see what I build and then come ask me to make it!
Alchemist
#288 Old 14th Jul 2018 at 1:59 AM
So guttered, wish I'd realised this was on, feeling like a good contest!

Rome wasn't built in a day

Need help finding building items, check out my building blog https://bestbuilditems4sims2.wordpress.com/
Alchemist
#289 Old 14th Jul 2018 at 3:03 AM
Quote: Originally posted by ekrubynaffit

You can always play along. We didn't get very far yet.

"Thinking of you, wherever you are. We pray for our sorrows to end, and hope that our hearts will blend." - Kingdom Hearts

XPTL Mod Archive | Change a Mod's Mesh into a CC Object | Increasing the Game Difficulty | Editing ACR 4 Your Age Mod
aka Kelyns | she/her
Top Secret Researcher
#290 Old 14th Jul 2018 at 3:39 AM
Quote: Originally posted by ekrubynaffit

Please join as a playalong! I would love to see what you make.

You guys have inspired me to open my game for the first time in months from seeing everything presented here. :lovestruc
Now if I can just get past those "haven't uploaded in a while jitters".
Forum Resident
#291 Old 14th Jul 2018 at 6:32 AM
another quirk I found in playtesting

there are no breakfast / lunch / dinner options for refrigerators and stoves in communal kitchens but only make single or group plates (kinda ok if I dont want time-specific meals)
if they have a dining table and chair in their apartment unit, they will eat there instead of the communal dining hall which sucks since my communal dining room is now a ghost town.
Link Ninja
#292 Old 14th Jul 2018 at 6:42 AM
Hey kanzen, if you put a mini fridge in the sims' unit, does that unlock regular actions on the communal fridge? It did for me.

Uh oh! My social bar is low - that's why I posted today.

Forum Resident
#293 Old 14th Jul 2018 at 6:59 AM Last edited by kanzen : 14th Jul 2018 at 7:13 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by Charmful
Hey kanzen, if you put a mini fridge in the sims' unit, does that unlock regular actions on the communal fridge? It did for me.

yes it did =) but it would make them use the communal kitchen instead of their own kitchenettes and then go back to their units to eat. thus making the dining hall empty as ever
sims...such weird creatures =))

I have yet to test what happens if they have a mini fridge but no dining tables and chairs in the unit
edit: they still insist on eating in their units even if they have to do it on the sofa.
Test Subject
#294 Old 14th Jul 2018 at 7:18 AM
Quote:
Judge 1: Great looking townhouse. Nice backyards, are they made with invisible fencing or does the game count those as public area? I would have hoped for some more terrain paint in backyard, maybe pathways to the pond, garden plots and so. Pool table needs 2 free tiles around it to work well.

Thank you! Yes, the backyards use invisible fencing so they are indeed private. I didn't realize about the pool table! I only had one of my sims test it out and I see later that multiple sims need more space, whoops!

Quote:
Judge 2: I'm not seeing any phones in your apartments? It also looks like you used some restricted CC in your build. I know it's a NY thing, but it would have been nice to have just a tad more greenery in the front of the apartments - maybe in that empty fenced area? I'm not quite sure what it is intended for. The apartments seem to have a lot of unused space and seem like they could have been much smaller had some of the large hallways been cut down.
I love the curb appeal of your units. I appreciate you taking the time to light the apartments outdoor spaces, especially since you did such a nice job on the backyards - they have just the right amount of things that make sense for each family. Thank you for bathrooms on each floor - from what I see all but one unit has them on each level.

The apartments do all have phones, but I'll try to make sure to put them where they can be seen on the screenshots better. All but one are wall phones, I believe, so the overhead view hid them I guess. I didn't realize I used any restricted CC, unless Store items count as CC. I wasn't sure about that so I just left them in. And that's a good idea about plants in the front of the apartments! Thanks so much!

Quote:
Judge 3: Thank you for mentioning that all apts have smoke alarms and phones - I can’t see them all, but I believe you Do units 2 and 5 have garbage cans? Your build is pretty straight-forward - I can tell which apt is which easily enough - but, it would be helpful if there was more variation on floor coverings (keeping it cohesive within each unit.) For instance the basement and 2nd story levels have an awful lot of that brown carpet everywhere. If you didn’t have the double walled stairwells between apartments, it would be difficult to tell which rooms went with which apartments. I know this style of building has a lot of long hallways - but watch out for wasted space - the far left (unit 1) Master bedroom could’ve had an en suite bath and eliminated that hallway completely. You have crammed a lot of stuff into these 5 apartment units - an amazing use of space really! I’m not seeing any routing issues either. The back gardens are really well done. But, the simple cement trim on the roof isn’t consistent with this style building. It should either have a gabled roof or a more elaborate trim with corbels. Great job! I am looking forward to seeing your next build! Thanks
PS - Your pictures are a bit squashed. Can you crop them in a photo editing program and maintain the aspect ratio so they don’t distort? The closer you can get for the overhead shots, the easier it is for judges to see everything.

Whoops, I -did- forget trash cans in those two units! I must have moved something around and forgot to put them back Thanks for the advice about the roof and the screenshots! I definitely have a plan about improving the pictures this time, but we'll see how it goes.

Quote:
Host bonus: Surpassed recommended size with no real explanation as to why that was necessary for your vision

I'm so sorry! I thought 5x3 was smaller than 4x4, whoops. I'll watch out for the space on future builds. Thanks!

Also I've definitely been avoiding actually replying to the scores because I was a little embarrassed, whoops.
Top Secret Researcher
#295 Old 14th Jul 2018 at 11:43 AM
Quote: Originally posted by CatherineTCJD
*snip*
My mom used to dress me in orange (especially rusty shades) when I was a kid. I was a fat little brainiac with curly high pigtails and buck teeth. Yuck!

Cat, I always wondered why you disliked orange so much, and for me it was the same (parents dressing me in it). Being the first baby girl to my parents, I got absolutely smothered in pink. Pink EVERYTHING. For years into my pre-teens I had so many pink things to wear and play with it... it was bad.
Mad Poster
#296 Old 14th Jul 2018 at 5:29 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Goldenbtrfly
...I got absolutely smothered in pink. Pink EVERYTHING.

I'm an only, of an only... I don't know why I didn't get the pink smother. I guess it was because my Mom liked orange, she was a red-head (dyed) at the time (mid 60's) - she even wore orange lipstick. I remember being horrified LOL!
Anywho... I love pink - especially raspberry! Yes, I even had a raspberry beret - back in 'the' day - though I always wore it with everything on

Sims are strange, indeed they are - and people are funny!

Please ~ support my TS2 habit! Shop at my Etsy shops:
CatherinesJewelry ~ Artisan Jewelry
Catherine's MOUSE ~ Up/Recycled Jewelry
and Vintage Stuffeths
Instructor
#297 Old 14th Jul 2018 at 9:33 PM
I have already posted this in the Strangetown contest, but I guess it is best to also post it here.
I'm at the hospital and I'll probably be here for at least a week, so building for either contest is on hold. So is having a closer look at my scores and comments, I'll try to take a better look at those (and post my thoughts) when I'm back home and feeling well.

EDIT: I only have 2 out of 6ish units (haven't decided on the total number yet) decorated, but they're quite cheap, around 800 simoleons of rent and actually feature somewhat nice furniture. I thought it would be harder to get things under the budget. When I leave the hospital I will post my findings (they are on my desktop) regarding rent and apartment space (I hope I leave on time to still be of use to others!)

Nice Rachel we're having.
My C:Simblr!
Top Secret Researcher
#298 Old 14th Jul 2018 at 11:20 PM
Don't worry about the contests. Your health is way more important. Take care, and see you back here soon.

Edit: Three days left and no-one's put up an entry yet. I was waiting because I didn't want to be the first again... :P
Mad Poster
#299 Old 14th Jul 2018 at 11:32 PM
Three days? I've started taking pictures but I'm still playing with camera mods...We'll have an explosion within the next 72 hours, though, you'll see.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#300 Old 14th Jul 2018 at 11:39 PM
I'm sorry everyone. I have house guests this weekend and they turned out to be a lot more nocturnal than I expected, no "free" time at all. They leave in the afternoon tomorrow so will get up to date on score questions then, and fix the scores judges want edited.

Creations can be found on my on tumblr.
Locked thread | Locked by: gdayars Reason: Contest over
Page 12 of 25