Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Scholar
#476 Old 5th Apr 2014 at 7:32 PM Last edited by Christine11778 : 5th Apr 2014 at 10:37 PM.
I have a question, I am having a problem installing the base game for the sims 2 on my windows 8 PC. I have the 4 cd set I bought back in 2004 and I get an error message

Is there anything I can do about this?

I figured this out, the 3rd cd was dirty, I cleaned it and it worked fine.

CC4Sims
Love will humiliate you and hate will cradle you.
Jealousy would be far less torturous if we understood that love is a passion entirely unrelated to our merits.
Advertisement
Test Subject
#477 Old 7th Apr 2014 at 5:34 AM
I am using Win8 and play TS2 on it quite well. I myself actually really enjoy my win8 machine and find the new interface quite easy to use. Although I do admit it took some getting used to.
Lab Assistant
#478 Old 8th Apr 2014 at 4:33 PM Last edited by mr_db1 : 19th Apr 2014 at 3:28 PM.
using windows 8.1 and SimPE runs without a problem on it
until this help thread was made my game justn didn't go past the 'sul-sul' sound and bodyshop came just as far as homecrafter
it's window-outline
happy to have found this thread I can finally go make the repairs to my game, thanks for that to those that made the files
I hope to have it in working order some time this week.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
no succes yet, next thing to try:
(something I found in the windows 8.1 settings by accidentally clicking the right thing)
turning on support for old programs and the reboot to activate that
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
last time update to this one:
the sims 1 always worked without problems only the creator needed a crack (but you don't need that info, do you?)
o.k. after the above mentioned "thing to try" my the sims 2 and the sims 3 both started working as they should

launchers both functional without anygame to help and running the game at optimal speed
and as with all new installs the CC came in with the second startup

here is what I did...........

I made sure all the updates were correctly installed
I set the DEP to exclude all the "the sims * " related programs
and I activated the checkbox for support of old software

now, my windows 8.1 is Dutch and translating the OS-names back to English is not my thing so,
I really can't tell you where to find the little checkbox, only that it is called support for old software
and that it has to be active to work with the games

I hope I helped

remove me from your history, I'm not interrested in this site anymore
Forum Resident
#479 Old 8th Apr 2014 at 6:01 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Christine11778
I have a question, I am having a problem installing the base game for the sims 2 on my windows 8 PC. I have the 4 cd set I bought back in 2004 and I get an error message

Is there anything I can do about this?

I figured this out, the 3rd cd was dirty, I cleaned it and it worked fine.

The same thing happened to me yesterday when I installed University. The disc was immaculate though after a clean it installed fine. Weird.
Test Subject
#480 Old 15th Apr 2014 at 11:22 PM
Default cant extract GrumpyLoader
Quote: Originally posted by Raven Dragonfire
Sure!
I'm uploading it here, so other people can use it too.

You just have to run the GrumpyLoader and then load the patch exe file in it. Proceed with the patch installation as usual and then the GrumpyLoader will tell you that it encountered an error and will ask you if you want to ignore it. You click yes and go on. It will find another error, just ignore it again and the GrumpyLoader will shut down. Then try to run the patch exe file again and it will tell you that "the sims 2 university has been already updated" (for example).

After this procedure, I've checked every single file in the "Sims 2 University" folder, comparing the win8 ones with the xp ones I have on the virtual machine, and there's a 100% match.

I used this program just for uni and nightlife patches, since I don't have problems with the other ones, because they don't need any cd to run.
I've played for several hours and everything is fine, no bugs no crashes

In case you have troubles, just let me know!

Hey out there!

I have the same problems with installing the sims 2 with win 8, so I wanted to try it like Kayinwonderlond wrote. She wrote an instruction how sims 2 could run on win8.
I downloaded all the patches and now the grumpyloader. All worked perfectly but when I extract the zip file with my freezip-opener nothing happens! The zip I downloaded has 143 KB, as it is denoted and I downloaded the zip a lot of times^^
So what to do?
Test Subject
#482 Old 16th Apr 2014 at 12:59 AM
thanks, it really works now!^^
Test Subject
#483 Old 17th Apr 2014 at 5:40 AM
I was a little upset when I was given a laptop with Windows 8, because I thought I wouldn't be able to play Sims 2. When I play from the game installed through the cd, it won't work. However, I had purchased Sims 2 on Origin. After installing Origin and setting it compatible to Windows 7 and downloading Sims 2 through it, I have been playing Sims fine for the past three weeks. I had purchased the double deluxe version (Sims 2, nightlife and celebration) and I haven't installed any other eps or stuff packs yet.
Mad Poster
#484 Old 17th Apr 2014 at 6:23 AM
I owned a Windows 8 laptop for about 3 days before deciding I hated it, and the fact that it didn't cooperate with my Sims games was a big part of that decision! Oh, it "worked" alright- the files all transferred and the games installed, seemingly correctly, but when I actually went in to use it, the game was unrecognizable. I tried all the tricks I could think of, to no avail, and since there were literally dozens of other problems I had with it, I uninstalled everything, reset the computer, and sent it back before the grace period expired.

It may be slow, but I think I'll stick with my circa-2007 Vista laptop for a while yet!
Lab Assistant
#485 Old 17th Apr 2014 at 9:03 AM
I downloaded all my games from origin, then i installed University life and Open of business with using there CD and all the stuff packs, There are no errors but you gotta click the play button on the launcher as soon as it comes up cause the launcher crashes other than that everything works wonderful :D
Lab Assistant
#486 Old 17th Apr 2014 at 10:31 PM
I'm one of the lucky ones who can play TS2 in Windows 8. I installed every game I had and downloaded the patches and I haven't had a single problem. So blessed~
Mad Poster
#487 Old 17th Apr 2014 at 10:42 PM
Quote: Originally posted by ~Shasta~
I'm one of the lucky ones who can play TS2 in Windows 8. I installed every game I had and downloaded the patches and I haven't had a single problem. So blessed~

What kind of computer do you have, and which version of Windows 8? Is it 8.1? I'd like to see the system specs to get a better idea of which PCs or laptops with Windows 8 can run Sims 2. It could be a combination of software and hardware issues, and it would be cool to have a list of which Windows 8 machines play well with Sims 2.
Lab Assistant
#488 Old 18th Apr 2014 at 8:25 AM
Quote: Originally posted by JDacapo
What kind of computer do you have, and which version of Windows 8? Is it 8.1? I'd like to see the system specs to get a better idea of which PCs or laptops with Windows 8 can run Sims 2. It could be a combination of software and hardware issues, and it would be cool to have a list of which Windows 8 machines play well with Sims 2.

My laptop is a dell inspiron 17r runs wonderful :3 :lovestruc
Lab Assistant
#489 Old 16th May 2014 at 9:58 AM
does anyone still have a copy of grumpy loader, as the link on page 8 is dead.

Thanks heaps
Mad Poster
#490 Old 16th May 2014 at 11:33 AM

I just got a new laptop with Windows 8.1, and TS2 runs fine on it (I run it from the game executable file BTW, not the Launcher). It's a Lenovo G500 with 8GB RAM (it came with 4GB, I installed another 4GB because 4GB is really too little for Win 8.1, especially for running games), Intel i3 2.4 GHz processor and Intel HD4000 graphics. I always consult the Sims Wiki for which expansion pack level my current graphics chip can cope with: http://simswiki.info/wiki.php?title...Recommendations , but unfortunately the HD4000 isn't on the list. But according to the info for the most recent Intel chip listed, the GMA4500, the highest 'Maybe' for that chip is Seasons. I'm sure the HD4000 is notably better than the GMA4500, but I decided to leave it at Seasons to be on the safe side.

(If anyone knows for definite that the HD4000 can cope with the higher expansion packs without burning itself out, I'd love to know!)

I installed the base game and all expansions up to Seasons using my old original installation CDs and DVDs just like I did on my old Win XP computer, didn't have to do it through Origin or do anything else fancy. The only extra thing I did do, was to find a fix for the game not recognising the graphics chip, which I found on Leefish's site: http://www.leefish.nl/mybb/showthread.php?tid=5446 . I had problems with some textures displaying weirdly until I used that fix.

There is one texture problem remaining, which is that the textures for the walls in houses tends to flash in and out, like they keep going back and forth between being opaque and transparent when a sim is in the room. If I play with walls down I have no problems at all, but I don't like playing with walls down, I play with them on cutaway mode. If anyone has had that problem and discovered a fix for it, I'd be very grateful!
Lab Assistant
#491 Old 18th May 2014 at 12:54 PM Last edited by LA MEMES : 20th May 2014 at 4:53 PM. Reason: adding more info
I used to have sims 2 on my windows 8 laptop now I have sims 3 on it and both ran just fine...it was a brand new laptop june 2013 so it was version 1 ...so I think vers 1 is safe (I had all sims 2 expansions and all sims 2 stuff packs ) ps and run from a virtual drive (daemon lite)

I have a Toshiba -Satellite C855D.....new (in June 2013)
laptop computer

specs below

Component Details
Processor AMD A6-4400M APU with Radeon(tm) HD Graphics 5.6 4.8 2.70Ghz

Memory (RAM) 4.00 GB
Graphics AMD Radeon HD 7520G
Gaming graphics 2031 MB Total available graphics memory
Primary hard disk 296GB Free (456GB Total)
System type 64 bit operating system x64 based processor
Windows 8

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Graphics details below....

Display adapter type AMD Radeon HD 7520G -
Total available graphics memory 2031 MB
Dedicated graphics memory 512 MB
Dedicated system memory 0 MB
Shared system memory 1519 MB
Display adapter driver version 9.12.0.0
Primary monitor resolution 1366x768
DirectX version DirectX 11 or better
Field Researcher
#492 Old 18th May 2014 at 2:39 PM
Intel HD4000 should cope just fine with all EPs. It's miles ahead of those old GMAs and is on par with some AMD/NVIDIA integrated chips.
Lab Assistant
#493 Old 19th May 2014 at 1:03 AM

I have an HP Envy that runs on Windows 8. I heard Sims 2 can't run with Intel HD I made sure to get a laptop that has an AMD processor. AMD 10, 6GB of RAM, 2.10 GHz. I don't even know what all that stuff means.

I've been thinking about upgrading to 8.1 but I'm afraid TS2 won't work anymore. Has anyone had problems with that?
Instructor
#494 Old 22nd May 2014 at 12:04 AM
TS2 isn't really supposed to be compatibal with the newer windows but as the others said you can fix it, on Windows 7 all that happens is the screen goes funky so get windows 7 as it's honestly the best windows now it's fast and has no problems unlike windows 8 lol windows 8 is more for touch screen capabilities but windows 7 was built for gaming.
Inventor
#495 Old 22nd May 2014 at 9:59 AM
Quote: Originally posted by ~Shasta~
I have an HP Envy that runs on Windows 8. I heard Sims 2 can't run with Intel HD I made sure to get a laptop that has an AMD processor. AMD 10, 6GB of RAM, 2.10 GHz. I don't even know what all that stuff means.

I've been thinking about upgrading to 8.1 but I'm afraid TS2 won't work anymore. Has anyone had problems with that?

I have Windows 8.1 and TS2 works fine. Although I had to do a bit of fiddling (mainly just running in compatibility mode, and running as admin, although not sure if running as admin does anything useful). I got maybe a couple of crashes in the beginning, being playing on Windows 8.1 for months now with no crashes, although the game takes a little while to launch, so it may seem like it's borked itself, but it does actually load and works fine after that. :3
Test Subject
#496 Old 23rd May 2014 at 5:23 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Raven Dragonfire
Sure!
I'm uploading it here, so other people can use it too.

You just have to run the GrumpyLoader and then load the patch exe file in it. Proceed with the patch installation as usual and then the GrumpyLoader will tell you that it encountered an error and will ask you if you want to ignore it. You click yes and go on. It will find another error, just ignore it again and the GrumpyLoader will shut down. Then try to run the patch exe file again and it will tell you that "the sims 2 university has been already updated" (for example).

After this procedure, I've checked every single file in the "Sims 2 University" folder, comparing the win8 ones with the xp ones I have on the virtual machine, and there's a 100% match.

I used this program just for uni and nightlife patches, since I don't have problems with the other ones, because they don't need any cd to run.
I've played for several hours and everything is fine, no bugs no crashes

In case you have troubles, just let me know!

I can't open the download, it tells me a WinZIP trial has expired and I need to register it, got nothing to register it.
Alchemist
#497 Old 23rd May 2014 at 3:06 PM
I just installed Windows 8.1 and it messed up my computer big time.
Lab Assistant
#498 Old 27th May 2014 at 12:35 AM
I tried installing the Sims 2 on a windows 8 computer and it didn't seem to work. A week later the Windows 8.1 patch came out, it's supposed to fix a lot of problems that are wrong with the Windows 8 OS reported by many gamers as well as a lot of registry errors; Anyways, I thought I'd give it another go and tried to reinstall the Sims 2 Double Deluxe onto it. It worked! I think the solution to the Windows 8 problem is to make sure you have all the updates installed before switching to Windows 8.1, also make sure you update your drivers before this. Now after you've done this download and install Windows 8.1 . Once it's installed make sure you install the latest updates, and once again update your drivers. Then install the Sims 2 on it (Although I installed Sims 2 Double Deluxe).
Test Subject
#499 Old 27th May 2014 at 3:30 PM
It works almost perfectly on my Windows 8 Copy (It's legit) The only issue is when I load my game up it needs to be Alt Tab-ed out and back in when the neighborhood shows a black screen after loading. I use Sims 2 with 800-1000 of Custom Content that is mods, Skin changers, or Guns. (For hated sims)
Instructor
#500 Old 28th May 2014 at 1:19 AM
I used to play TS2 on a brand new laptop with an Intel HD4000 chip. Less than a year later, the motherboard failed. Was it fried from the overheating chip? I'll never know. But I got a new laptop and didn't take any chances.
Page 20 of 22