Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
#1076 Old 3rd Nov 2020 at 4:48 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Lady L.
I'm playing the Newsons, and Georgia and Garrett have just aged up to children, and Gavin's become an adult as well. Up until now, none of the Newsons have gone to school, since I doubt Gavin or Ginger could have enrolled them without alerting the authorities to the fact that they were living without an adult. Now that Gavin's an adult, he could theoretically get legal custody over his siblings and enroll them all in school. However, if he does that, it'll come to light that he kept Gabriella and Gallagher out of school. Should he keep his siblings out of school and away from any interaction with the government? Or should he send only Georgia and Garrett to school and try to hide the existence of the others? Send them all and risk getting the kids taken away? Something else?

Might be fun and cute storytelling if he tries to homeschool them? But I also like the response above me. Very well thought out.
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#1077 Old 3rd Nov 2020 at 3:01 PM
I have Simlogical schools installed and would use flexi school and have them being homeschooled as that's going to happen first in my BACC before the town is big enough to be able to run a schoolhouse for the children.It's set in the 1840's and school wasn't really required by law back then though it was a right to choose to go if you wnted to.
Mad Poster
#1078 Old 3rd Nov 2020 at 6:45 PM Last edited by AndrewGloria : 3rd Nov 2020 at 7:05 PM.
Thanks everyone. I think that's it decided then. When they marry, they'll move to Bianca's house. Here are pics of their current houses:
Bianca's house is small, but it will be adequate for the two of them. There is a bit of room to expand at the back (using the Lot Adjuster).

Actually there are quite a few teenage householders in my game. Most of them seem to know what they're doing. Bianca is currently the only adult in her street!

Of course one of the teen-led families is the Newsons. They moved into town a few years ago, trying to escape harassment elsewhere. On the whole they have been sympathetically received in Veronaville. Schooling -- especially for teenagers -- is not compulsory here. Gavin has never gone to school here; Ginger has only gone occasionally. Of course the constitutional head of state is the Grand Duchess, Juliette Capp, and she is still a teenager herself. Her brother Tybalt has taken a sympathetic intererest in the Newsons, and has told her about them. They're not in any danger from the authorities here.
Screenshots

All Sims are beautiful -- even the ugly ones.
My Simblr ~~ My LJ
Sims' lives matter!
The Veronaville kids are alright.
Lab Assistant
#1079 Old 4th Nov 2020 at 10:41 PM
Thanks for your input! Unfortunately, Gavin hasn't got time to homeschool the kids, as running the farm they live on is hard work!

The farm was actually Gavin's inheritance from his biological father. When he met with his father's lawyer, Trent Traveller, to get the fa legally put in his name, Trisha rolled the want to be friends with him. So she's convinced Trent (who's actually almost-friends with Ginger) to help him get legal custody. With an actual lawyer and nobody to contest custody, the judge will rubber-stamp it without too much thought.
Mad Poster
#1080 Old 7th Nov 2020 at 7:47 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Lady L.
I'm playing the Newsons, and Georgia and Garrett have just aged up to children, and Gavin's become an adult as well. Up until now, none of the Newsons have gone to school, since I doubt Gavin or Ginger could have enrolled them without alerting the authorities to the fact that they were living without an adult. Now that Gavin's an adult, he could theoretically get legal custody over his siblings and enroll them all in school. However, if he does that, it'll come to light that he kept Gabriella and Gallagher out of school. Should he keep his siblings out of school and away from any interaction with the government? Or should he send only Georgia and Garrett to school and try to hide the existence of the others? Send them all and risk getting the kids taken away? Something else?

What are your SimWorld's laws about home schooling? Would it have been required to tell anyone the kids were home schooled?

Also, if you use FlexiSchool, you should be aware that like real world home school it takes much less time than public or private school to educate the kids, and once they have the basics you really only have to supervise unless there are Reasons why the kid can't handle self-instructional material. (Pick your home school material carefully. Mr. Churchill has the most entertaining history books, if you're in the right era, just so you know, if you ever need to, the man was wasted on politics.)

Pics from my game: Sunbee's Simblr Sunbee's Livejournal
"English is a marvelous edged weapon if you know how to wield it." C.J. Cherryh
Mad Poster
#1081 Old 8th Nov 2020 at 3:33 AM
It would be fine for teens or older to live on their own without any adults and even take care of smaller siblings in most of my games especially in my TOT or apocalypse challenges which would be set in the 16th or 17th centuries when teens would start at nine years of age and according to the laws be legally adults even hough not physically matured to adults.I even have a Mod that lets me have teens find their own place and strike out on their own in case their childhood home is too crowded.
Lab Assistant
#1082 Old 8th Nov 2020 at 11:28 PM
Mine's a modern 'hood, so kids and teens are expected to be in school. I've never properly tried homeschooling (I have the Flexischool in but not the homework book), but I think the rules would be that they must be registered with the school board (more of a storytelling requirement than anything) and keep pace with the public school (grades must be at least a C-).
Mad Poster
#1083 Old 9th Nov 2020 at 5:16 PM
MY BACC is taking place in the 1840's in Dodge and school isn't required by law there though it's a right by law to be able to have the chance at getting an education if there's a school near enough to attend or home schooling is an option.I would use the teens move out as a story telling form of having them run away and stilk be playable in a modern town or when mine makes it into modern times.Anybody living in the 17th century had to have the funds to be able to afford schooling if their kid was going or they didn't attend school and many children and kids in the 19th century never even went to school as they were working on farms or had to work for a living and that still happend until the middle of the 20th century with kids having to leave school at very young ages to go to work.
Field Researcher
#1084 Old 9th Nov 2020 at 10:37 PM
Question - how should I proceed?

I'm starting a BACC, but my Sims are creating a community on an entirely new planet. The planet is u inhabited. There are native insects and birds (they birdwatch all the time - there's little else to do). The fish are imported.

What about the dogs and cats? Should I create bizarre looking creatures native to the planet and make them strays?
Or should I create a rule as to when the Sims are allowed to import/buy pets?
Mad Poster
#1085 Old 9th Nov 2020 at 10:51 PM
If it is possible try make default replacement for wolves because game creates them anyway. About dogs and cats I think colonists may miss usual dogs and cats and import them from Earth and sell in pet shop.
Mad Poster
#1086 Old 10th Nov 2020 at 12:27 AM
Back up your game. Experiment with making bizarre creatures in the petmaker. Have fun with it? Have bizarre strays. Don't enjoy it? Restore backup and let colonists import domestic animals. There are many psychological benefits to having familiar critters around which should be even more important in a completely unfamiliar environment. Consider confining them so they don't wreck the ecosystem, though.

You might be able to have fun thinking about the ecosystem (why did fish have to be imported? Why shouldn't all ecological niches be inhabited?) and creating creatures, plants, and rules derived from its differences from the sims' homeworld. Think about it and see if you find this angle inspiring.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Mad Poster
#1087 Old 10th Nov 2020 at 4:35 AM
I've gotten a BACC where the pioneers are settleing out west in the 1840's in the Kansas territory in a town called Dodge and pets haven't arrived yet though they'll be starting to own pets when the local stores begin stocking a pet display in the shop.
Scholar
#1088 Old 15th Nov 2020 at 7:13 PM
I'm hoping I can get some advice, because I haven't yet found a satisfying solution to this issue. Some of my Sims commit crimes, major and minor. I would like to have a way that they can get caught and punished sometimes, but I haven't figured out rules that really work for me yet. I have tried sending them to "jail" in the past, but I didn't enjoy playing them in jail.

Here's the specific story situation that's brought this back up for me. Previously in Pleasantview, one of my Sims, Andrew, quite suddenly died after his live-in girlfriend left him for his brother. I have been ruminating about Andrew's death. It was very convenient for his brother Charles--perhaps too convenient? I have always found something off about Charles. He's a bit too controlling, likes to have everything his way. That's why his first wife left him. Charles is also in the Law Enforcement career, so he could probably easily cover his tracks. It would make sense in the story if he did murder his brother, and that feels more like good storytelling to me than that Andrew just happened to conveniently die of the flu.

This has happened before. When Malcolm Landgraab suddenly died, I suspected either his wife, Angela, or Dustin, who worked for him, had a hand in it. Both of them had motive and opportunity. But if so, no one ever found out.

So I'm wondering, if Charles did murder his brother, how would such a crime get exposed? And what would be an appropriate punishment that also wouldn't be terribly dull to play? Death penalty? Banishment? Does anyone have any gameplay rules for this kind of thing they can share that might spark some ideas? TIA
Forum Resident
#1089 Old 16th Nov 2020 at 1:05 AM
Hmm... I was thinking maybe you could create a subhood where criminals get banished to. In this hood, they would have to fend for themselves; grow their own crops, live off of the cheaper furniture, etc. You could maybe place Lamare's Electric Box in some of the houses, so they have a risk of having unstable electrics and the like. This is just one of many directions you could take this.

When a game is predictable, it's boring.
That goes for any medium that isn't life.
That's why The Sims 2 is my favourite sims game.
It has elements of unpredictability and everything feels more involved.
The Sims 4 is another story altogether...
Field Researcher
#1090 Old 16th Nov 2020 at 2:41 AM
The prisoner chip could be used for house arrest, rather than a proper jail.

I have a dice set I use and will soon have a kidnapping in Pleasantview. There will be certain odds of the kidnapper getting caught that I will roll for, with any walkbys who know the victim increasing the odds of release.
Alchemist
#1091 Old 16th Nov 2020 at 7:02 AM
@sturlington, I did go on and on once about the sim law system I was working on. I'll edit it a bit and post it again here for you. Fair warning it's pretty long:

That was from the Have you made up traditions/laws in your game? thread, in case anyone was wondering. And another thread you might want to check out is Do you use a prison system in your neighborhood?, but you said you didn't like Simlogical's prison system, so idk.

And at the risk of going on too long--cuz again that previous post of mine is a book, . I'll just add that you can introduce rolls to help you figure out when crimes get investigated and looked into. I think doing this would work well with what I originally had in mind, too, since my system is also pretty much story based and would have no set rules on what things are suspicious or who gets caught for things like murder. (I'm a big fan of doing rolls, so that's what I tend to recommend. ) So my story would be that Sim City Insurance investigates all unexpected deaths, or even all non-old-age deaths. That works nicely actually because I use Monique's Non-Elder Insurance Hack, so it's definitely plausible that the insurance company would do investigations for sudden/accidental deaths. I would make up a chance that the company finds something suspicious and turns it over to the police; I'd probably do something simple like even vs odd, but you could figure out a percentage that works for you and include modifiers for things like prior unexpected deaths or accidents in the same residence.

Then once the investigation is turned over to the police, my law system rules above would kick in. If I forgot to take pictures for evidence I could substitute random rolls. And if you don't like the way the simlogical mod works, there's other ways you can simulate jail, like setting up a work camp or you could banish sims for a time period--that way you don't actually play them and just age them up when they're released. You can also make them do government service--working at the local church or soup kitchens, etc. Or maybe the sims are prevented from doing or having certain things--like any degrees they have are taken away or they can't own a business or inherit property. Maybe they can't get certain jobs. Etc.

"Thinking of you, wherever you are. We pray for our sorrows to end, and hope that our hearts will blend." - Kingdom Hearts

XPTL Mod Archive | Change a Mod's Mesh into a CC Object | Increasing the Game Difficulty | Editing ACR 4 Your Age Mod
aka Kelyns | she/her
Mad Poster
#1092 Old 16th Nov 2020 at 7:36 AM
I would have a system of law and also have it that most of the time sims are advised to use birth control to reduce the risks of crimes like child abuse which is in my game on the same level as capital murder for serious crimes and often unwanted children are vitims of child abuse or neglect.The punishment for those crimes is the death penalty if the child abuse is bad enough and put the child in danger or caused the child's death.Murder gets the same penalty if the culprit is caught and found guilty.
Sims starting fights might get house arrest and if living alone have to move into another household where the other sim can go out.That also haapens for stalking or barging into a sim's home uninvited to pick a fight with them or fighting with another guest in somebody else's home or brawling in a apartment which also leads to eveiction and having trouble finding rental housing willing to take you in.
Scholar
#1093 Old 16th Nov 2020 at 8:26 PM
Thank you for all the suggestions! I think I am going to take bits and pieces of everyone's tips. I especially like the idea of opening an investigation into every untimely death and using dice rolls to determine the results.
Scholar
#1094 Old 27th Dec 2020 at 9:49 PM
I want to make characters based on my Crusader Kings runs. Based on, because they will otherwise be modern characters. I'm torn on whether or not TS2 or TS3 is the better game to do this in to begin with. On one hand, the CK education system lines up nicely with TS2 aspirations. Here's how I'd map them out:

Diplomacy -> Popularity or Pleasure
Martial -> Family or Fortune
Stewardship -> Fortune or Knowledge
Intrigue -> Romance or Pleasure
Learning -> Knowledge or Family

On the other hand, Crusader Kings is at its heart a Sims legacy challenge inside of the Paradox grand strategy engine. TS3 is better for that kind of Sims play with the NRAAS mods for story progression.

If TS2 is the better game for this, then which Maxis world is the best for putting new Sims to disrupt canon in?

1/8/2016: New avatar! Pre-censored for EA's approval.
3/19/2015: Teens are too close to YAs. EA needs to either shorten the teens, or add preteens and make YAs look older.
Forum Resident
#1095 Old 27th Dec 2020 at 11:24 PM
Quote: Originally posted by DrChillgood
If TS2 is the better game for this, then which Maxis world is the best for putting new Sims to disrupt canon in?

Obviously Veronaville, the Capps and Montys are pretty much already royal/noble families, maybe the Summerdreams too, all sorts of relations could arise from that, what with keeping an eye on their interests and stuff

Either that, or Desiderata, where pretty much nobody (aside from Natasha and John maybe) has a personality and the hood is like flour
Mad Poster
#1096 Old 28th Dec 2020 at 12:18 AM
The Summerdreams are definitely royal. Oberon and Titania are the King and Queen of the Faeries! (Archaic spelling intentional.) I'm sure that palace was paid for by taxes levied in Fairyland. There's no way they could pay for it with the wages from their day jobs.

All Sims are beautiful -- even the ugly ones.
My Simblr ~~ My LJ
Sims' lives matter!
The Veronaville kids are alright.
Mad Poster
#1097 Old 28th Dec 2020 at 3:47 AM
It can be done in an empty terrain template though you'd have to start out small and slowly build the town up like I have to for my BACC and for other towns I want to play.I wanted to play a Pleasantview Epic Challenge and the only way to do it without starting in an already corrupted town is to start in a template and try to create the ancestors of the families in that town along with a few of your own choice couples and slowly build that up into a town.
@DrChillgood -I strongly advise using an empty terrain template and setting up the town slwoly with your own sims like a BACC where the couples get moved in slowlt over time and the town grows up into a city.I've only moved in two couples in my BACC so far and another is coming in the spring of 1842 in Dodge which is the Strangetown terrain from the terrain selector for setting up a custom town.
Scholar
#1098 Old 28th Dec 2020 at 6:17 AM
Quote: Originally posted by TadOlson
I strongly advise using an empty terrain template and setting up the town slwoly with your own sims like a BACC where the couples get moved in slowlt over time and the town grows up into a city.I've only moved in two couples in my BACC so far and another is coming in the spring of 1842 in Dodge which is the Strangetown terrain from the terrain selector for setting up a custom town.

Hmm, my Fire Emblem world is already something of a BACC, so I was hoping I wouldn't have to do more building. I realized my current character is ruling in Italy, making it awkward to play in Veronaville. Maybe an emptied version of that world would be the best bet.

3/19/2015: Teens are too close to YAs. EA needs to either shorten the teens, or add preteens and make YAs look older.
Mad Poster
#1099 Old 28th Dec 2020 at 4:30 PM
It's found in the terrain selector when you decide to set up a custom town instead of loading one already in progress and the template version won't have the same corruption as the one in progress which was loaded as a playable town for learning the game.I'm not actually doing the building in my games because it's being done by my sims as they settle the towns.I just do that work behind the scenes and pretend they're growing the town themselves.
Scholar
#1100 Old 28th Dec 2020 at 5:58 PM
Quote: Originally posted by TadOlson
It's found in the terrain selector when you decide to set up a custom town instead of loading one already in progress and the template version won't have the same corruption as the one in progress which was loaded as a playable town for learning the game.I'm not actually doing the building in my games because it's being done by my sims as they settle the towns.I just do that work behind the scenes and pretend they're growing the town themselves.

I knew about the empty terrain, but I was hoping not to have to plop the lots down myself. If I wanted to play urban planner I'd fire up Cities Skylines. I'll look for an uninhabited world with lots.

Page 44 of 48